Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
What about one in 350 Legend?
Personally, I wouldn't trust any AR in 350L for self defense uses. It's a very long case that isn't designed with feeding as one of it's main goals.

Politics is War by Other Means
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by Remsen
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
The 300BO with the short barrel is not as loud as one might think. That’s with a GI style compensator. A 5.56 pistol barrel is quite a bit louder. Add a muzzle brake and it would be obnoxious. A can is nice on either though, albeit less compact and handy.

That's the basic tradeoff with an AR pistol. I have one that I rarely use. Without a can it's extremely loud (to the point that even with hearing protection it is a pain), with a can you're talking M4 dimensions.

I'm all for buying weapons, even if they aren't practical, but for my purposes, an M4 clone does all that a pistol does and it's a cheaper alternative than a pistol + can.

What muzzle device do you have on it?

I have an 11.5" barrel that came with a standard A2 flash hider, but I run a YHM T2 turbo 99.9% of the time.

I've said it before on here and I'll say it again. To my ears, shooting without protection, the report from my 7.5" Saint is less objectionable than the standard birdcage on my 16" carbine. The muzzle devices that direct it frontwards are awesome. But that's just my opinion. Plus getting that shorty in and out of the truck, into a hotel room, etc etc make it just too damned handy.

Have you put many round through the Saint, yet, Gruff ???
I’ve looked at them at like them, but ole Bluedreax claimed “they had a high rate of “failures” with them.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I trust and believe everything he posts on here about this stuff, so it gave me pause. But I'd already bought mine...... lol

Maybe 500 rounds. But I'm not doing multiple mag dumps running it hard either. Mag or so at a time. Still love it. I like the short throw safety too.

MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The 300BO with the short barrel is not as loud as one might think. That’s with a GI style compensator. A 5.56 pistol barrel is quite a bit louder. Add a muzzle brake and it would be obnoxious. A can is nice on either though, albeit less compact and handy.

That's the basic tradeoff with an AR pistol. I have one that I rarely use. Without a can it's extremely loud (to the point that even with hearing protection it is a pain), with a can you're talking M4 dimensions.

I'm all for buying weapons, even if they aren't practical, but for my purposes, an M4 clone does all that a pistol does and it's a cheaper alternative than a pistol + can.

I have an 11.5" barrel that came with a standard A2 flash hider, but I run a YHM T2 turbo 99.9% of the time.

I've said it before on here and I'll say it again. To my ears, shooting without protection, the report from my 7.5" Saint is less objectionable than the standard birdcage on my 16" carbine. The muzzle devices that direct it frontwards are awesome. But that's just my opinion. Plus getting that shorty in and out of the truck, into a hotel room, etc etc make it just too damned handy.

I am far from an expert on AR pistols and wouldn't doubt your experience. The first time I took my pistol to the range I had the RSO asking me to move to a different set of bays due to how loud mine was (without a can). It could have been the particulars of my pistol, though.

I set up my pistol so I could ride my snowmobile with the pistol slung on my back and for that use it's very handy, especially since I can't hear a damn thing when I'm wearing a helmet.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Personally, I wouldn't trust any AR in 350L for self defense uses. It's a very long case that isn't designed with feeding as one of it's main goals.

Self defense against snakes and such...maybe a doe or two.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I tried an 8" 556 AR with my standard hearing protection and considered it no bueno. Was probably just using a birdgage.

I dig the 10.5" - 11.5" supressed 556s though. I thought they were mellower on the ears than a 22LR revolver one day and haven't looked back. I like these KAK Shockwave 2Ms that use regular carbine buffer tubes for a simple, yet adjustable brace solution for $40ish.

My favorite 11.5"
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

12.5" starts to get pretty long for a pistol, lol.

10.5 iirc

8.3" 9mm, my wife has adopted this one.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 09/19/22.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The report will be less obnoxious as bore diameter increases. Also consider the way different cartridges are loaded. The 5.56 is typically shot in a 16-20” or even longer barrel. The 300BO was designed for short barrels; maybe 12-16”. The 350 Legend was primarily designed as a deer round in a hunting rifle, so think similar barrel dimensions as the 5.56.

The bore diameter, coupled with typical barrel length will be driving factors for the propellants used in each cartridge. I can say that my 300BO with a 10” barrel and GI patter compensator is no worse than my 18” 5.56 AR. Add a can and it is gravy. For those reasons it makes a very handy and viable weapon without the can, and a great weapon to suppress as well. The trade off is range. It holds tight (1.5 MOA) out to 200 yards with supersonic hand loads (18 grains W296 with a CCI 41 and 125 grain bullet), but that’s about as far as I would shoot at a deer or similar sized animal. As a combat weapon it could probably go out to 300 or so, IMO.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Self defense against snakes and such...maybe a doe or two.
As long as you don't mind it FTF or FTE every once in a while.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I trust and believe everything he posts on here about this stuff, so it gave me pause. But I'd already bought mine...... lol

Maybe 500 rounds. But I'm not doing multiple mag dumps running it hard either. Mag or so at a time. Still love it. I like the short throw safety too.

Thanks Gruff. I seriously doubt I’d put over 500 rounds per year through one. I’ve got plenty of other AR’s that get lots of rounds put through them.
And it would be more for a Home defense usuage, anyways. Or truck gun for when traveling. Be much easier to conceal and not draw attention going in & out of motels, or RV Campgrounds.

As to Bluedreax, I met him once. He, STXHunter, and I fished a day together in Roger’s boat.
Very nice young man. Polite, personable, and a very likable fellow. And he’s always been a straight shooter with any info he’s given me here on the Campfire, in posts & private PM’s.
I didn’t doubt his word. Your just the first person I know that actually owns one. You’ve always seemed like a no BS type of individual, so I wanted your opinion too. Thanks, I’ll take another look at one the next time I’m in town while my LGS is open.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Thanks for reminding me. Was supposed to have one delivered last month. Now they're saying beginning of 2023.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
You think that's bad?

Defiance told my gunsmith friend 54 weeks!

I am MAGA.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
AK pistol at PSA... might be worth a look as well.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You think that's bad?

My tax stamp check was cashed 11/23/2021.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by local_dirt
You think that's bad?

Just got a call from FFL an hour ago. YHM Turbo 2 ready for pick up.

53 weeks.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You think that's bad?

53 weeks.
Congrats.

My last suppressor was pre efile and nearly 14 months. I have one efile in the works now. I’d like a YMH Turbo 2 for a dedicated AR can. I’d like to get one soon and then call it good for awhile.

I got an email recently that the suppressed Q Honey Badger is back in stock. It’s tempting but I’d rather a non suppressed model and keep my kidney.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

I haven’t had the first issue with mine either. About 400-500 rounds in 4 outings with it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
You think that's bad?

53 weeks.
Congrats.

My last suppressor was pre efile and nearly 14 months. I have one efile in the works now. I’d like a YMH Turbo 2 for a dedicated AR can. I’d like to get one soon and then call it good for awhile.

I got an email recently that the suppressed Q Honey Badger is back in stock. It’s tempting but I’d rather a non suppressed model and keep my kidney.

Laughing.

C'mon man. You can do with one kidney.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1337Fungi, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,321
Posts18,468,449
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.