Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
If a guy wanted to get a new aluminum boat say 12 feet to haul gear and go across the lake and fish. What would be a sturdy brand? And what size motor what I need 10 hp? Any other suggestions I’d love to hear them.
S.

GB1

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To go across the lake to fish, buy a used boat in good condition. Don't worry too much about brand, but more about condition. 10 hp 4-stroke should be plenty, but it depends on the boat's weight and design. Observe the boat builder's recommendation.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good advice on a good, older used one. The old ones were made from virgin aluminum and the new ones are made from recycled aluminum. Our Canada camp owner buys every older Lund S16 that he can find because they are way more resistant to damage and leaking. There are lots of upside down old Lund and Alumacraft boats in the cabin lots up north here. Those two brands won’t be the lightest boats out there, but very durable.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How big is the lake? To cross a 100 acre lake is a different thing than crossing a 50,000 acre lake. I don't want to cross large open bodies of water in a 12' boat with a 10 hp motor.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Gregor with the right 4 stroke for the job.

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have an older sears 14 inch v hull aluminum boat with a 9.9 hp mercury 4 stroke. does about 15mph. Even a v-mod jon boat or soething similar seems like it would work for your needs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MOGC
How big is the lake? To cross a 100 acre lake is a different thing than crossing a 50,000 acre lake. I don't want to cross large open bodies of water in a 12' boat with a 10 hp motor.

This.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I would assume neither does the OP and has asked about a small boat/10hp because that makes sense for the lake he's worried about.

Had excellent luck/experience with Lund and Alumnacrafts - often see similar boats in guide operations in nowhere Canada.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If that's the case, would a nice john boat also suffice? Smaller lake it wouldn't take much.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teal

I would assume neither does the OP and has asked about a small boat/10hp because that makes sense for the lake he's worried about.

Had excellent luck/experience with Lund and Alumnacrafts - often see similar boats in guide operations in nowhere Canada.

No disrespect to the OP, but I don't assume much on the Internet or around any body of water. Hang around any lake or river and the things ya see occasionally can be ... interesting to say the least.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by 30338
If that's the case, would a nice john boat also suffice? Smaller lake it wouldn't take much.

The downside of a jon is they beat the hell out of you in any measurable amount of chop. I've got a little 1236 jon. It's a great small river and creek boat, not so great for any lakes much bigger than a highway pond on a day with wind of any significance.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Teal

No disrespect to the OP, but I don't assume much on the Internet or around any body of water. Hang around any lake or river and the things ya see occasionally can be ... interesting to say the least.

I live on Lake Michigan - I've seen some things that defy belief. I get it.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by zcm82
Originally Posted by 30338

The downside of a jon is they beat the hell out of you in any measurable amount of chop. I've got a little 1236 jon. It's a great small river and creek boat, not so great for any lakes much bigger than a highway pond on a day with wind of any significance.

Agreed.

Me

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'd also stick with lund and a alumacraft, while i'm at it fug the 12' chit and get atleast 14' so if the wind comes up. Sooner or later you'll be in a position that 3 want to go and 12 is 1 man 1 dog boat..
Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Gregor 13'6" is in a class by itself.

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by pal
I have a Gregor 15’6” that I bought a few years ago. If the 13’6” is cut from the same cloth it’s a great boat, mine is the best boat I’ve ever owned.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheKid
Originally Posted by pal
I have a Gregor 15’6” that I bought a few years ago. If the 13’6” is cut from the same cloth it’s a great boat, mine is the best boat I’ve ever owned.

I mention the Gregor 13'6" because of personal experience with one and because it seems the ideal size for someone starting out who will surely face some wind waves crossing a lake. High bow, good V, unsinkable, roomy for its size, all welded construction, extremely seaworthy, easily manageable by a lone fisherman.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by pal

I mention the Gregor 13'6" because of personal experience with one and because it seems the ideal size for someone starting out who will surely face some wind waves crossing a lake. High bow, good V, unsinkable, roomy for its size, all welded construction, extremely seaworthy, easily manageable by a lone fisherman.

This is good advice.... Valco is a similar brand worth considering

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
That one is identical to mine save the length. ^^^ The best $1200 I’ve ever spent on fishing gear.
I’m not positive because I’ve never owned one but weren’t the Valcos riveted?

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That one is identical to mine save the length. ^^^ The best $1200 I’ve ever spent on fishing gear.
I’m not positive because I’ve never owned one but weren’t the Valcos riveted?

Good boat you have there. And your fishing pal.
I know the Gregors are all welded.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

441 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 35 invisible), 2,290 guests, and 1,054 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,494
Posts18,452,390
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.