Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
blanket Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I know the bullshit democrats have pushed this pandemic shortage to the max but is anyone shooting 410 now a days? I load for it and can hold out but what is every one else now

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Democrats?

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just found about 10 boxes in a box in my garage. I have the same h&r single shot 410 I got for Christmas when I was 11. I haven't ran a box through it over the last 30 years so a case should last me a while.

My kids don't like it because they struggle letting the hammer back down without dropping it full speed. I don't know how I had it figured out as a kid. The kids said they want one without a hammer so I bought them a little pump 20 gauge. The ammo for the pump is cheaper anyways and they can get steel to hunt ducks with it.

I've actually made 410 loads in 444 marlin cases before and they worked pretty well. I just fire a 444 round and then don't resize it just deprime it. The expanded cases fit my 410 better. Resized ones tend to slip over the ejector. I sharpened the casemouth with a deburring tool and used it to punch out my over shot wads from cardstock.

Bb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a 410 for grouse and ptarmigan while moose hunting. Have an 870 I had done in Black Tee so don't worry about chitty weather. I love this shotgun! I've stockpiled plenty ammo for it so I'm good to go.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You're probably not gonna find any .410 bird/target shot unless it's someone scalping old ammo at triple the price.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have four.
One is an H&R single shot I got when I was 10. I also have a Winchester 370, an Savage 24 and then a couple of weeks ago I picked up a nice little Winchester 37 at a LGS.
I killed a couple of squirrels with the 37 this past week.
I’m noticing they are starting to show up with a little more frequency at local pawn shops and gun shops.
410’s are fun.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My only .410 is a .410 accessory barrel for my take down Savage 99 in .303 Savage. All I’ve ever used it for is spruce grouse while caribou hunting. If I still ran beagles I’d get a 42 or a good sxs but I don’t so I won’t.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought a Henry SS and tricked it out for turkeys with TSS, but have also shot a couple of rounds of clays with it, picking the closer targets out to about 30 yards or so. I bought ammo before the crunch, but also bought a case of target loads and a few more boxes of hunting ammo. It comes pretty dearly, but I’m not shooting it by the dozen, so no matter. With the MOD tube, it throws a nice pattern at 30 with 7 1/2s, and Fed 3” 000.

It’s a very nice little gun with pretty wood. Gonna carry it today when I check my hunting spots for the archery opener.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I put a Savage Four Tenner in a 16 gauge Fox I have for woodcock hunting over pointers.

First shot is .410, the second 16 gauge. Buddies think I'm crazy but I'm enjoying getting rid of an old supply of .410 shells and the pattern is great in the 15-20 yard range.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My jr. high best friend's grandfather made good use of an old beater 410 shingle shot. This was around 1960, before most of the gun laws. He removed the stock and sawed the barrel to about 6". He rigged it to a board that could be staked down to the ground and rigged a wire to the trigger that stuck out a few inches in front of the barrel with a cork on it. He'd dig out a gopher hold and stake the thing with the cork down the hole. When a gopher came up with a load of dirt, KABLOOEY. It was highly effective on gophers but it was a good idea to keep your dogs and kids away from where he was trapping. I assume that recoil was pretty fierce, too.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by blanket
I know the bullshit democrats have pushed this pandemic shortage to the max but is anyone shooting 410 now a days? I load for it and can hold out but what is every one else now

AFAIC tell, everyone is shooting a .410

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a single shot and a contender with a 10" barrel chambered for .410. I shoot them both regularly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good friend gifted me a Mossberg .410 bolt gun after shoulder surgery so I could turkey hunt.
Two boxes (5 count each) of Fed TSS #9 turkey ammo cost me $60! 🤯
Won't be buying anymore of THAT stuff!
....but I CAN NOT find ANY .410 ammo in 3" #9's.
Impossible to locate. Plenty 2.5", but I want 3"! (It's my OFS! 🤫)
I'm 73 years old, but I'm bound and determined to kill a turkey with that .410!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ltppowell
You're probably not gonna find any .410 bird/target shot unless it's someone scalping old ammo at triple the price.
I was in the Bass Pro shop, Dania Beach yesterday. Sitting on the shelf were 6 boxes of #7 1/2 and 6 boxes of #6 shot. Remington. I called by neighbor back in north FL. I recently sold him a Marlin bolt action .410. He also has one of those Judge revolvers. I wound up buying two of each for him. They are damned hard to find.

Sam......

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I was in the Bass Pro shop, Dania Beach yesterday. Sitting on the shelf were 6 boxes of #7 1/2 and 6 boxes of #6 shot. Remington. I called by neighbor back in north FL. I recently sold him a Marlin bolt action .410. He also has one of those Judge revolvers. I wound up buying two of each for him. They are damned hard to find.

Sorry I missed you.

LOL

PS-Thanks for buying the schit here for your dumb ass friend up north.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by ROMAC
I put a Savage Four Tenner in a 16 gauge Fox I have for woodcock hunting over pointers.

First shot is .410, the second 16 gauge. Buddies think I'm crazy but I'm enjoying getting rid of an old supply of .410 shells and the pattern is great in the 15-20 yard range.

They sell chamber inserts for that purpose

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by martinstrummer
Good friend gifted me a Mossberg .410 bolt gun after shoulder surgery so I could turkey hunt.

Apex Ninja 9.5s pattern better in my Henry. Solid patterns to at least 40 yards with the Henry TSS tube (made by Briley). “Invest” a couple or three of those Federals in pattern testing. They might not hit where you expect.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by ROMAC

They sell chamber inserts for that purpose

Yeah, I know. That's what a Savage Four Tenner is. Better than a gauge mate but not quite a Briley insert.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by martinstrummer

Apex Ninja 9.5s pattern better in my Henry. Solid patterns to at least 40 yards with the Henry TSS tube (made by Briley). “Invest” a couple or three of those Federals in pattern testing. They might not hit where you expect.

First up were the 2.5" #9's. They patterned very well. Definitely do the job.
THEN......I begrudgingly sacrificed 2 of the Fed 3" TSS #9's!
Just as good a pattern.
The little gun has exterior choke tubes. One full, the other modified. I used the full.
All I need now is a bull turkey in .410 range! LOL!

Question:
Until I retired the 12 bore 870, I shot 1250fps or better, 12 gauge with 1 1/8 oz of #8's for turkeys. Planted more than one with a single shot.....out to right at 40 yards.
Had a gent on another sight get his panties ALL in a wad that the #8's were WAY too light for turkey.
I can think.of 20 to 25 bull gobblers that can attest that #8's are quite capable of the deed!
When I wrote about the TSS, he was all excited about the TSS being the "cat's meow"!
Out to about 25 yards, depending on pattern density, #9's, TSS or lead, will definitely do the job.
What say you?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have yet to shoot one with TSS, but according to what I’ve read it will penetrate like lead #5s, because of ita density, hardness, and perfect shape. In my patterning tests, I was able to put a dozen or more pellets in the head and neck of a turkey target out to 40 yards. Lead? Dunno about the penetration, but if enough pellets land in the right spot at 25, I doubt a turkey is gonna like it. Still, since you have the shells, why not use the ones that will penetrate the best and carry the most energy?

YouTube has scads of TSS videos, including .410 ones. Watch some and see what you think.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,543
Posts18,453,246
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.