Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Originally Posted by Muffin
300 Blackout.....

215 grains worth

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nice looking bullet. What mold did that come from? Cast from a soft alloy and powder coated I wonder if that flat nose will flatten out further at 1050 fps?

I have a kimber Adirondack that's still new in the box in 300 BO. I need to get a suppressor for it and start using it. It's got a very light barrel that flares out right at the muzzle and is threaded. I think the rifle is under 5 pounds. My other blackouts are all ARs but I'll bet this little bolt gun would be super quiet.

Bb

https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=31-203H

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
GB1

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice, Muffin!

Guys, it is worth visiting that link just for a bit of fun - nearly a must if you are an engineer or have engineer-like tendencies. See some good integration of a web-based front end with CNC machining.

Design your own bullet -- with a pretty sophisticated web end.

A couple of friends dealt with this company several years ago and had a great time deciding on every detail. The results were great.

I'll probably get back into cast bullets when I retire, and this company will do some molds for me.

Even if an off-the-shelf Lee mold would do fine, as an old retired fart, I'd want the satisfaction of shooting an accurate load with a bullet that I designed! grin

John

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I was faced with similar concerns. If you have a 300 bo I would use the hornady subsonic for hunting, or the Maker subsonic ammo. Both have been very accurate in my Ruger. I would prefer a 450 bushmaster or a 45-70, though. Just helps to have a bigger bullet. I do shoot subsonic slugs that I roll myself through a 28” barrel 12 ga with a rifled choke. Not suppressor quiet, but people who have been outside and 2-300 yards away in a light rain were surprised to hear I shot a deer. Saved me the cost and hassle of a suppressor and is effective out to 75 yards+.

Then again, modern crossbows will do a lot of what you’re looking for too.

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Handloading would open a lot of possibilities. The 350L blows the 300 BO away in my opinion. A YHM R9 you can handle 350 Legend, 308 win, or other non-magnum cartridges.

Factory loads, I'd go 44 Mag/Special

As to Crossbows. My Excalibur Xbow s considerably louder than my Suppressed Subsonic 350L.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I wouldn't worry too much about nearby people when shooting suppressed, even with supersonics. Most "normies" wouldn't know the crack of a bullet breaking the sound barrier without the accompanying "boom" from the muzzle blast.

Last year, when hunting our property, I was in an orchard and one of the other landowners was on a ridge above me, maybe 300 yards, as the crow flies. I was using a suppressed TC Encore in 308 (17" barrel). I shot a deer and when I went to pick him up to help me load it onto the UTV, he was surprised that he didn't hear me shoot. So, unless you are literally shooting in your backyard with neighbors right there, I doubt it will even be an issue. Use supers.

If you just have to shoot subs, then I would recommend a big flat bullet, or one that is specially designed for subsonic use. Don't expect pass-throughs and don't expect good blood trails.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

365 members (1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 37 invisible), 1,919 guests, and 1,005 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,655
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.