-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The tube several times, NYC / Manhattan daily from 1980 until the mid nineties and afterwards on visits. It’s a different place now and I have no desire to do it again.

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A couple times in NYC. Not a big deal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been fortunate to ride subways in several countries in Europe - I don't think any of them are called a subway though. All but 1 was a very pleasant experience and the convenience of it really makes it worthwhile. I remember staying in a hotel outside the city by maybe 12 miles and we'd just hop on the metro at 8pm to go into town to get dinner - 15 minutes later we are a block from the restaurant, no parking hassles, back home by 10pm, all for $3. The bad experience was in France. Some gypsies got on the train and apparently gypsies are the equivalent of homeless crackheads here. They did not want those people on the train and they let them know it. I was unfortunately in the middle of it

I've ridden the Blue Line in Chicago. Between people bringing pitbulls on and homeless people undressing, it was not something I'd want anyone to do. Before riding it we had planned on asking some people to take it from the airport to the office, after a couple of bad experiences from people riding at different times (the other group saw a fight on their car) we opted to rent buses for everyone.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Only the Washington DC metro, and that was a long time ago. I think Klinton was President!
Carol and I took Ben to see the Smithsonian and the zoo.
We stayed at a hotel in Rockville MD, and across the street was a Metro Station.
At that time you could get an all day pass for 5 bucks.
A half hour ride would get you to DC and there were stations all over. IIRC, the longest walk to any destination was 5 blocks to the Zoo!
All the museums had stops within a couple blocks, and I didn’t have to deal with traffic, which was and is, always horrible in that area.
As much as love the Smithsonian Museums, I have no desire to enter that cesspool now, unless it’s to restore the rule of equal law by We The People.
7mm

IIRC, the in-town fare was about a buck outside of rush hour when I was riding it. When I was working nights and evenings, I’d park at Gaithersburg or Falls Church for free, because the lots weren’t attended when I got off to go home. Automation closed that little loophole! I could also park free at our Crystal City office if I got there early and walk to the station.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've ridden them all over the world. How good or miserable they are depends upon the ethnic composition of the city. In Germany & Japan they're great, those in China are pretty good too. London and Paris will get you there without too much fuss but you have to watch for pickpockets. In most U.S. cities you're taking your life into your own hands by getting on them, they're full of gangs and drug addicts.

In many other countries the middle class relies upon public transportation such as subways and trains. In the U.S. public transportation is the realm of the underclass for the most part, people that can afford it will take their own cars with the exception of some super dense places like NYC, Boston or D.C.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
NYC all the time when I worked there.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Back in thr late 1970's a friend & I went to New york for a few days of tourist stuff. We rode the Subway several times. It's a bit confusing for thosw new to them. Once as we rode, we discused how to get to where we were heading, a blind Lady overheard us & provided very clear directions. "bless her heart"!

"not too grumpy"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In the USA, have ridden NYC, DC, BART in SF, DART in Dallas. All good experiences. But the Dallas system needs many more lines to adequately cover DFW and needs to jail the indigent.

Atlanta - not so good. Difficult to purchase tickets from automated machines. Infrequent trains between downtown and the airport.

Others:
Santiago, Chile => spotless.
Shanghai & Xi’an China => very clean; good signage
Paris => old but good.
London => way old but charming (some stations built in 1800’s)

Wish we had more. Incredibly convenient.

Last edited by AdventureBound; 09/19/22. Reason: Forgot about Atlanta.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Germany-seen a guy bangin smack before we got on once.
Rome
London
And NYC

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Sako76
Same here back in my USCG days, stationed on Governors Island, NY City... It was the only way to get around. Even back in 1980-1983, you always had to keep your head on a swivel.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
As ratsmacker said, if you've flown through Atlanta (and EVERYBODY has flown through Atlanta) you've almost certainly ridden on a subway. There's some kind of law that no connecting flight can ever be from the same concourse where you deplaned.

No schidt and they make it so convenient.... ~sarcasm~

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Only in London - Everywhere else, is horseback.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ButchAmmon
Originally Posted by Sako76
Same here back in my USCG days, stationed on Governors Island, NY City... It was the only way to get around. Even back in 1980-1983, you always had to keep your head on a swivel.

That was the Bernard Goetz days

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes. Born in Midtown Manhattan and until I was six, every Sunday up to Washington Heights for supper. High point of my week, actually. But that was in the early 1960s, things got really rough for a while in the 1970s and early 80s with all the focking taggers and dopeheads. On visit to New York, I still set aside a day just to ride the elevateds and lines that have cars with a front window. And yep, I pay attention to my surroundings. Oh, my.
DC Metro is also the only way to get around DC when there, but again, riders outside of rush hours are a little diverse for my tastes. Or a lot diverse.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not many in the US, Boston I think. Overseas that was my go too transportation from Moscow to Bangkok. Some cities like Singapore have really nice subways. They are often way faster than taxis.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

323 members (163bc, 22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 29 invisible), 2,615 guests, and 947 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,740
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.