24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Went to military school with a couple of senator's kids, a few guys whose dad's were former German officers still hiding out in South America, son of the CEO of Ralston Purina, dude's whose parents had big mansions on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago, kids whose parents were both working two jobs in order to keep them in the school and, lest I forget, a couple of Martha's Vineyards a$$holes from Massatwo$hits. Sort of a broad spectrum.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No, but once worked for an exclusive neighborhood (suburb?) in a large town.
One set of brothers (3) could EACH write you a check for over $65 million as that was their liquid assets. Their businesses ran into multi billions!

In the town, the nicest folks were the top of the heap. The wealthiest.
Want a "rich a$$"? Try dealing with those who had amassed just enough wealth to afford to live in the area!
Rich, damned proud of it and wanted you to know just how wealthy THEY were.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
This seems like a question wabigoon should have asked ... maybe he has sometime in the past.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The two people I know who grew up with money, and now have all they need are sorry humans. One is a raging drunk who hardly leaves the house, the other is on and off a druggie, with a criminal bent that has him spending big bucks on lawyers regularly to avoid prison time. In my experience, humans do better when they have to make their own way, and the very best people are those who have struggled some in life, in one way or another. Adversity seems to create strength and humility. Easy living, not so much.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
When I was in high school in the 1970s, a friend of mine inherited just shy of a half million dollars from his wealthy grandmother. Unfortunately, he wasn't allowed to touch it till he became 18. Unfortunate, because the broker who was holding it was given total control over how it would be "safeguarded" till then, and he invested it in such a way (high yield "junk" bonds, as I recall) that 90% of it was lost by that time.

IC B2

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
A friend and his three siblings inherited $800K+ each, the oldest daughter hung onto hers, other three were broke within five years.
By 'broke' I mean back to their lifestyle before they inherited the money, NOT homeless broke.

Last edited by ol_mike; 09/19/22.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
A pile of them. Everyone of them is an ass hole, no talent pussy.

The rich folks I know that earned it are some of the nicest people I know.

Camp is where you make it.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
A couple of trust fund girls in my past. Their monthly payment wasn’t huge but enough to live comfortably on. Both worked but could have sat at home. One might have a kid by me but I don’t know for sure. She was trying to get some engineer from a good Jewish family to marry her when we crossed paths. We had a good time and we’re talking for a couple of weeks then nothing. She disappeared ! Next I heard she was five months pregnant having a baby shower and had gotten married to the engineer. I did a quick calculation in my head and the due date I had gotten through a friend added up to the weekend we’d hooked up. I might have a Jewish trust fund kid smile

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What's DFC doing with all his gold coins these days?

Me

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
None that were lucky that I recall.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The wife has a worthless azzed cousin that throws out the remark regularly that she didn't marry a trust fund baby like my wife did.

Yep, that's me! Grandad left each of his 3 grandsons $10K

Woo-Hoo, where do I get in line for a yacht and Lambo?

FJB & FJT
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
My biological dads sister, my biological aunt was married to a lawyer, then judge. They owned a twin prop-shaft airplane.

They and another couple were flying just joy-riding and crashed killing all of them.
Their son [only child][I never met] inherited a couple of million dollars at around age 19. He took several of his friends to Hawaii for an extended stay, over time it was like 20 people that he paid their way over and back.
BIG PARTY, lasted about a year or a little more, he came home empty handed.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by ol_mike
T

Anybody know one of these Lucky Types?
President Trump book Art of the Deal, he called them the lucky sperm group kids.

Speak now or forever hold your piece

I know all kinds of farmers and ranchers, yes.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
My brother married into a LOT of land. Whenever her Dad kicks off, they're looking at a high 8 to low 9 figure payday when they dump the acreage.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I dated a girl in college that came from a big farming family that owned a lot of ground in Illinois southeast of St. Louis. She had a sister that moved away and became a pilot, a brother who became an engineer at Boeing, and I believe she ultimately worked as middle management in a manufacturing plant. I don't believe her parents had a lot of liquid assets, but owned and farmed somewhere around 20,000 acres of farmland. Those three will become very wealthy when their farm is ultimately sold off. I've heard ground in that area sells for well over $10,000 an acre these days. You could tell he had really hoped that he would have a son-in-law that would be interested in farming, and I don't blame him having been raised during the end of a multi-generational farm. To this day, I believe my old ex is still single if anybody is looking---probably not worth it!

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a friend who got 2 million when his parents passed. That's as good as it get's for me.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes, one of the most generous men I have every known. Most of the quoted allowances would be chump change. Has preserved over a million acres across American for all to enjoy. Just looked, it is currently over 2 million. One of them damn Yankees, who even bought the Cornfield at Antietam and gave it to the park system so it would remain hallowed ground and not developed. You name it medical research, education, historic artifacts, like Lafayettes gifts of pistols he gave to Washington. Conservation...Millions of dollars ++++ .... I think around 400 million at last count....to study and preserve land and enrich habitat for wildlife, some of which we hunt. Some of you have most likely killed game on parts of it. Many others have most likely visited and walked on land they bought and gave back to America.

Great guy, who appreciates his good fortune to be born into the right family and feels an obligation to do more than just go to work and live the good life.

There is a coffee table book out there..."From sea to shining sea" that tells the story of: "The American Land Conservation Program and its gifts of more than two million acres of parks, refuges, wildlife habitat and historic sites to the people of the United States." And that is only a small part of the entire picture.

He has little time for fools and many here would think him aloof....We need more like him.

Last edited by battue; 09/19/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One that I know well was raised by a nanny and grew up around the DuPonts. He was appreciative, but wanted to see what he could do on his own, so he and his wife moved out to Idaho. Two of the best people I know. When he was in his late 50s or early 60s, the family money eventually caught up with him through inheritance. I've always had the utmost respect for him. Great guy and hard worker. Always moving and trying new things.
He's in his late 70s now, lives in Florida, and works in a nursery part time to keep active. Still looking for another business to start.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by ol_mike
efw ruined the thread, OMG that music makes me sick. smile

drop point, as they say, you can pick your friends but not your family.

As soon as I saw the thread title that song popped into my head from my daughters boy band phase and I just had to share 🤮

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Nope. But my maternal grandfather was quite successful in his day. He owned several businesses but passed away from what is now called ALS when he was young. My mom was three at the time. My grandmother sold off the businesses and was set for the rest of her life. By the time she passes though, it was all spent.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
95 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,587 guests, and 769 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.