-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not a trust fund baby, but I am friends with a guy whose is quite well off. Like closer to "B" money than mere 'M" money.

Works like a hebrew slave on his hunting property, rarely hires anyone to help, and still hunts with the rifle is parents bought him when he was 16.
Drives a F250 with 200K miles on it hasn't bought beef in 17 years. All venison, most of it processed by him and his family.

They literally give away millions a year and most people have no idea.

He has two sons, both have a full time 40Hr a week jobs. It slipped out one night while having cocktails, he had set up each of the boys a GRAT that moved "wealth". But these young guys still work and still raise their family in what would be "modest" means by any measure.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by drop_point
I dated a girl in college that came from a big farming family that owned a lot of ground in Illinois southeast of St. Louis. She had a sister that moved away and became a pilot, a brother who became an engineer at Boeing, and I believe she ultimately worked as middle management in a manufacturing plant. I don't believe her parents had a lot of liquid assets, but owned and farmed somewhere around 20,000 acres of farmland. Those three will become very wealthy when their farm is ultimately sold off. I've heard ground in that area sells for well over $10,000 an acre these days. You could tell he had really hoped that he would have a son-in-law that would be interested in farming, and I don't blame him having been raised during the end of a multi-generational farm. To this day, I believe my old ex is still single if anybody is looking---probably not worth it!

I knew a guy that owned a sizable section of land that he was sure his kids would sell off after his death.

He and I use to set and drink coffee and talk about it, It truly bothered him.

He finally devised a plan to keep that from happening.

Jay Starkey is gone now but we have this to remember him by.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had an extended period at Oregon State U. and was constantly passing an individual in my wanderings. Finally had a sit down in the Union one day. He was well off and and simply a professional student with about 5 Masters degrees and 3 PhD's under his belt.

1Minute
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Dated a couple.

One young lady whose father was a doctor had set up funds for each of his kids. Investment accounts that provided her an income without ever getting out of bed. Good gal. Hard worker. All her expenses were covered. College and post grad expenses all paid for. No idea how much she had or got monthly. Don't think it was multiple 5-figures. Guessing 30 years ago it was $5k a month.

Another girl I dated in college was similar situation. Her father owned some manufacturing and then died fairly young. Between the holdings and the life insurance, she was set. Everything paid for and money every month. Essentially whenever she wanted it. Another really cute nice girl that really liked me a lot. I was too busy chasing one that wasn't attainable.

Dated another nice young lady in grad school. Father owned one of the large interior ranches in southern BC and was very wealthy. He was also involved in various industries and sat on boards in Vancouver. Wealthy family. All expenses, school etc paid for. Set for life now with a nice monthly stipend.

Ended up dating and marrying a young lady with a net negative worth in debt up to her bum. But it worked out alright in the end.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 1minute
I had an extended period at Oregon State U. and was constantly passing an individual in my wanderings. Finally had a sit down in the Union one day. He was well off and and simply a professional student with about 5 Masters degrees and 3 PhD's under his belt.

And couldn't change the oil in a lawn mower.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I had an Army buddy from a very wealthy family in DC. His father was a real-estate developer with a net worth in the hundreds of millions back in the 80s. Their house was on the National Register of Historic Places, and it was full of art work that you'd only expect to see in museums. It also had pictures of his parents with every president since Nixon.

I knew his parents to some extent. They were also kind and would help someone who truly needed it IF they didn't think their assistance would go to waste. They were a class act and were unreasonably kind to me when I was just a raw young buck sergeant. It was clear that they had gone out of their way to educate their son well without letting him turn into a jerk, and they succeeded.

He went to an exclusive private high school, and was the first student to join the Army after graduation instead of going to college since WWII. He made it through the Special Forces Qualification Course a few months before I did, and we served on the same A-Detachment for about a year. He went to work for his father after he got out of the Army, worked his ass off, and made even more money than his father had made, which is saying something. He could have moved in the highest circles of wealth and privilege in DC, but he married a waitress he met in a diner. They had a bunch of kids together and life for them was pretty good for a while.

Unfortunately, he used to commute by helicopter sometimes. One night, a junior pilot flew it into a hillside and killed everyone on board.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
A few here have mentioned rich folks being nice people, that has been my experience also. Most of them work hard for the finer things in life, they work hard and SMART and they sacrifice along the way.

Some of the most miserable people I've met are construction workers or construction small business owners, who get married constantly and spend every penny they make. Broke by Wednesday needing 'uh check'.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hear, hear!

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
One of the executive secretaries at a former employer, who was a real knut, won the lottery for about five million. She bailed, but was back working for the company about three years later. It was poetic.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I work on houses for a lot if very wealthy people, including heirs to Fisher Autobody, Ross Pharmaceuticals and Amway. Another current customer is an older guy and a legit billionaire and is a former United States Ambassador to a country whose name I can't remember and is currently the Republican party chairman for the State of Michigan. Another is the owner of the VanWinkle distillery. All are all very wealthy folks with multiple homes, so I don't see any of them very often.

Another group of people I work around often are the members of a luxury motor coach resort near here. The lots in this place alone with their landscaping, waterfalls, fire features and small-medium structures are usually a million plus, each. Factor in their multi-million dollar coaches and tow vehicles, (Raptor pickups, large cargo trailers with corvettes, Harleys, etc.) And these folks are clearly millionaires, mostly self-made. These folks are mostly friendly and down to earth.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Don’t know that I’ve ever known a trust fund baby. Worked for and around plenty of what I’d consider pretty damn wealthy people. Self made and inherited. Some were pretty cool people that worked hard.

But damned, damned few that were cool by themselves were the same when in a group setting of other richy rich folk.

MAGA
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Known a lotta poor folk like me!!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Quite a difference between people with "old money" & those with "new money" !!!!

"not too grumpy"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
A guy I know won the Oregon lottery to the tune of 9 million. Managed his dollars well.

Never really liked the guy much, either before or after the money, despite several attempts on his part to involve me in his hunting and fishing trips. He was the kind of guy who would take a shot at elk way out of his ability to hit, then not go follow up.

Didn’t go down (at 500 yards), must have missed.

He wounded 2 bulls one year with his bow, recovered #3.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by killerv
Got this guy in his early 40s I run into a couple times a week. Was adopted by some rich folks when he was younger. He gets whatever he wants. He was given 400k just as a graduation present. All bills are taken care of etc, only thing he buys is alcohol...starts drinking about 3pm and doesnt stop til sometimes 3am. Wife has been putting up with it because of the money involved, she likes her country club lifestyle plus I think she's just waiting on him to kick the bucket due to his large life insurance policies. Been dropping 12k for a month long summer camp for his daughter every year. Honestly, its probably a good break for her to not be around him. Joker cries broke all the time, wants you to think he's poor. One month he said his bartab at the country club was 1400.

I have a new friend who was drinking $15,000 per month. One day when sober he realize that.

He left his friends and the area and started a little gun business.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Of course, it needs to be understood that being born into wealth (or even modest means) automatically makes a person incapable of being worthwhile. (One of many tenets of the 'fire.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I know a bunch of them and most of them are very unhappy. Old money trust fund people are cheaper than hippies. New Money ones generally are pretty unhappy as well. One of my kungfu teachers at Harvard was a very wise man. He told me that you want to make enough money not to be limited in opportunity and experience but you don't want to become a slave to money either. Gene saw thousands of incredibly wealthy Harvard Alums and posited that those that live a balanced happy life with somebody who genuinely loves them and has a belief in Christ were the happiest in most of the years of their life.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
In high school, trust fund kids were more common than those that weren't. I wasn't one of them but I was friends with many. I got to do some pretty amazing things for a kid of my status.

I dated a gal that ended up on Forbe's list of 100 wealthiest Americans but she fell off a handful of years back. Another girl I knew back then had a father that owned several medical patents. They lived in a house that the father bought in 1978 for nearly 3.5 million dollars. There was no mortgage.
t
A buddy in those times, his father donated something over 1 million dollars of Pillsbury shares as the father was tired of being bothered by both sides in a hostel take over action.

Later on, another guy I ran around with, his father was an early parter with Bill Gates and did some work with Steve Jobes. He sold out both times when the companies became pretty stable. The father lived off the challenge of starting up, the every day drudge of running a business was something he hated.

A guy I ran around with when I was single married a trust fund kid. She had a condo win a very upscale neighborhood that ran nearly $300/month 30 years ago. On top of that her car, insurance, and every expense was paid for as well as getting another $3000/month spending allowance. She was a professional student that had multiple advanced degrees, all paid for by mom and dad. This prevented her from getting job as she was overqualified. So, she went back to school...

Don't know if he was a trust fund baby but I began rubbing elbows with Mike Lindell back when he ran a bar. Fun guy then, still a fun guy now after giving up the lifestyle he once had.

Know a few others that are wealthy but not sure if they were born into it or earned it. One finished building a multi tens of millions dollar house somewhat recently. Another end up in prison for a Ponzi scheme he ran. Glad I didn't take financial advice from him.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by killerv
Got this guy in his early 40s I run into a couple times a week. Was adopted by some rich folks when he was younger. He gets whatever he wants. He was given 400k just as a graduation present. All bills are taken care of etc, only thing he buys is alcohol...starts drinking about 3pm and doesnt stop til sometimes 3am. Wife has been putting up with it because of the money involved, she likes her country club lifestyle plus I think she's just waiting on him to kick the bucket due to his large life insurance policies. Been dropping 12k for a month long summer camp for his daughter every year. Honestly, its probably a good break for her to not be around him. Joker cries broke all the time, wants you to think he's poor. One month he said his bartab at the country club was 1400.

I have a new friend who was drinking $15,000 per month. One day when sober he realize that.

He left his friends and the area and started a little gun business.

$500 a day huh? Whats his poison? Nose beers?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Another guy was born into money... However, he started his own business...as a teenager.... painting lines in parking lots. He would sub out all the work and didn't have his own employees. Then he did the same with asphalting parking lots. Then eventually, he bought his own asphalt and cement companies. He is one of the few that can work on places like the NSA parking areas. The people that do the work there are squeaky clean. Has a big farm down in the Baltimore horse country. Cuts his own fields with a huge tractor mower and still works like crazy doing highway jobs. Has his own clay range on the property and travels to shoots when the mood strikes. Goes on some great vacations with his GF. His only vehicle was a beat up Ford Explorer with over 200,000 miles before he got tired of fixing it....Went out and bought another.

If your are a friend there is little he wouldn't do for you.

Addition: He is worth more than he was born into.

Last edited by battue; 09/19/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (444Matt, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 20 invisible), 1,773 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,182
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.