Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RJL53 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Went to open my 35 year old Fort Knox safe yesterday and the damn thing won't unlock. I went through the ideas Sargent & Greenleaf have online for opening it but no joy. Anyone ever have this issue before? What was the fix if any. I'm tempted to remove the dial and try to get it to open from there but not real sure there is any way to access to locking bolt. Getting a locksmith is not in the cards in my area so I'm afraid I am on my own. I have heard about drilling them but have no idea where to drill and I sure don't want to screw up the door. As a last resort I will give the company a call to see if they have any other ideas. I have no problem with putting a new lock in it if I can get it open. What say you guys? PMs may be better than using the open forum for ideas. Thanks

BP-B2

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Work all the numbers a number high for 3 numbers then reverse it

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Don’t remove the dial and try to do it yourself you’ll compound the problem

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This might not help you, but it sorta works for me.

I have a Browning safe with a S&G lock. The last number in my (all?) combination is "0". The tumbler is sticky and does not fall by itself - I have to quickly rotate the dial 5-6 digits either side of 0 to get the tumbler to fall. To put it scientifically, wiggle the crap out of the dial over the last digit. Centrifugal force is your friend. I have been meaning to get this fixed for the last several years.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had the same issue years ago, I called the locksmith, he said he was busy and was going to tell me how to get it open myself. He said dial combo, then slam handle as hard as you could to the left (close) and it will open. I tried this like a dozen times and it didn't work. He came over, this guy was like 6'6" and 400 lbs. He said watch, I gave him the combo, he slammed it and the safe opened. He said the good news is your safe is open, the bad news is I have to charge you $50 for a device call!

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Sounds like it was worth it.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by Sako76
I had the same issue years ago, I called the locksmith, he said he was busy and was going to tell me how to get it open myself. He said dial combo, then slam handle as hard as you could to the left (close) and it will open. I tried this like a dozen times and it didn't work. He came over, this guy was like 6'6" and 400 lbs. He said watch, I gave him the combo, he slammed it and the safe opened. He said the good news is your safe is open, the bad news is I have to charge you $50 for a device call!
Don’t try that either you’ll shear the handle

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yup, worth every penny!

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
If what I told you don’t work after you dial your last number when you turn right to stop try a deadblow hammer

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am pasting a link to a thread that I started almost two years ago about the same issue. My lock is S&G, by the way. I have stopped spinning the dial and I have not had a problem since, using the original combination. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/15656745/

This is fortunate, because I e-mailed Fort Knox about the issue, and I still have not received a response.

Hope this helps.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Once you get it open you may choose to replace the entire lock assembly.

It's not difficult if you're mechanicaly inclined.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JOG
This might not help you, but it sorta works for me.

I have a Browning safe with a S&G lock. The last number in my (all?) combination is "0". The tumbler is sticky and does not fall by itself - I have to quickly rotate the dial 5-6 digits either side of 0 to get the tumbler to fall. To put it scientifically, wiggle the crap out of the dial over the last digit. Centrifugal force is your friend. I have been meaning to get this fixed for the last several years.
This. I have to "wiggle" the dial 5 or 6 numbers left and right of zero to get my tumblers to fall. Don't take the dial off and don't get physical with it. When you get it open lube the lock mechinism with very light oil like RemOil. Mine is due a bit of lube as I had to do the zero "wiggle " the last time I opened it.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stop spinning the dial... Slow is smooth and smooth is fast...

Coyotes shot no waiting.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Mine wouldn’t open a few years ago. I went on the Liberty website, followed directions they gave and it got right back to working right. Don’t remember the specific operations.

Mathew 22: 37-39

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
For future reference; never spin the dial. You can mess up the tumblers.
I have some spare S&G lock sets if anyone is in need.
Kenny

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Early Bird, thanks for the info on how NOT to try and open a dial that won't work. I've not had that problem but my safe is old so someday I might need the info.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Safe locks are a fine tuned mechanical device, and need serviced occasionally based on use and atmosphere. Find a good safe tech and have him service and change combo once in a while. Very well worth the price in the long run.

All This! And the circus too?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've had the mechanical combos on ATM safes 'slip' far enough a few times to cause it not to open. Took trial and error to figure out which number 'slipped', in which direction and how far it slipped to get open. Basically a setscrew is all that keeps the combo numbers on commercial mechanical combo locks secure. The little slash mark off center on front of number dial plate is for resetting / changing combination. Takes a simple but special tool to change/reset combo.

When needed we also used a locksmith who specialized in drilling safes with tripped relockers, unknown or corrupted combo numbers.

It was a rather lengthy and involved process. He took exact measurements of locking mechanism and any other critical dimensions inside door of another identical model safe before drilling. The drilling itself took a good while. A lighted fiber-optic video camera was inserted through drilled hole to view locking mechanisms inner workings and the search for correct combo numbers began. When finished hole was welded up, painted and safe was ready to put in service again.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Some time back I had mine do similar. It ended up being one digit off on all previous numbers. So as mentioned previously, try to check out different numbers in small increments!

Our new safe has an electronic lock…..have a Sargent-Greenleaf sitting on top of the safe to eliminate the electronic lock. I don’t trust electronics! ☹️ memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What is the difference between spinning & turning?

Politics is War by Other Means
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
688 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 3,105 guests, and 1,436 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.