Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I went on a groundhog hunt yesterday and I thought I would share my success with all of you. The location is a farm in the mountains of Virginia and it was a beautiful evening. Here are some pics of some of the fields:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here is a pic of my Remington 591 chambered in 5mm Remington Magnum:

I removed the original finish to expose the beautiful wood underneath and mounted an older Leupold 3-9x40 with the friction adjustments. I am shooting the Remington 38 grain HP which I posted a thread a few days ago on Saubier.com asking about the B.C. of the bullet. I mainly wanted to see what my drop would be to 200 yards. I didn't have a place where I was shooting to check that far, so I wanted to see what kind of drop I would be expecting.

When I got there the landowner's friend was in the fields training his dog so I had to wait a bit to hunt where I wanted. Anyway as luck would have it I saw a large hole in one field and I though I saw the back of a groundhog's head sticking out of a hole roughly 150 yards away. There was a little bit of grass in front and I just wasn't sure with the 9x. I waited probably 10 minutes thinking the chuck might be spooky because of the dog and the firing the other guy was doing.

I decided to walk to view another field and as I did I saw a groundhog stand up at 132 yards away (laser rangefinder). I got done in the prone position and noted I had a bit of a cross wind quartering from my left to right. The groundhog's head was pointed with his nose to my right. I aimed just below his ear and touched off a shot. I got to see everything through the scope because of the lack of recoil. It immediately dropped and stood up again. It looked wobbly and took it's paws and kept wiping it's face like it was trying to groom itself. I thought that was weird, so I chambered another round. It went down again in the taller grass and reappeared a yard further to the right and stood up again looking in the same direction as before. This time I could see the head and shoulders. I quickly put the cross hairs on the edge of his shoulder in line with his back. The shot dropped it hard and it was noticeably hurt and trying to crawl with limitations. It managed to get in some tall grass and I could no longer see it from my position. I waited a few minutes and then went down to see if I had hit it. I found the groundhog within a couple of feet from its hole:

Upon inspection I noticed my last shot, but wasn't sure what happened on my first shot. After a few minutes I realized the first shot sort of penciled through the front of its face:

Here is a pic of the exit wound where it went through the neck and shoulder:

All in all I am very pleased with the outcome. The rifle is a joy to carry and feels light as a feather compared to my other varmint rifles. I hope to use this some more for groundhogs and fall turkey season. If any of you have experience with this old round please post and let me know your experiences.

BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
VERY cool!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Reminds me of days gone past. Enjoy.

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This is the 5mm rimfire? I had one when they first came out, enjoyed it a lot. Gave it to my younger brothers years ago, don't know where it went from there, but I'd like to have it back!

Mike Holmes

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
GREAT STUFF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loving the wood and the re-finish job on your rifle !!!!

I just smacked one last week that ran for the high weeds but stopped for one last look. I was proud (amazed, more like it) that I landed it right where I was aiming offhand. I'm a lousy offhand shot. This was with a 592M and the Aguila/Centurion 30 grain HP. I heard it hit. Dropped him like a lightning bolt.

Been carting the 592M on my coyote calling missions lately, too. The coyotes have been whooping me good, so far, so no chance to see how it does on them, yet. Posted this in another room. But here's my 592M (Burris 4.5x14-42) sitting patiently this past Saturday morning.......waiting to perforate a coyote.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
IC B2

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Yoder409
GREAT STUFF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just smacked one last week that ran for the high weeds but stopped for one last look. I was proud (amazed, more like it) that I landed it right where I was aiming offhand. I'm a lousy offhand shot. This was with a 592M and the Aguila/Centurion 30 grain HP. I heard it hit. Dropped him like a lightning bolt.

Been carting the 592M on my coyote calling missions lately, too. The coyotes have been whooping me good, so far, so no chance to see how it does on them, yet. Posted this in another room. But here's my 592M (Burris 4.5x14-42) sitting patiently this past Saturday morning.......waiting to perforate a coyote.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Sweet!!!

Have you had any problems getting the Aguila/Centurion ammo to chamber and extract in your rifle? I tried it mine and it was rather difficult compared to the Remington ammo.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very cool to see you guys keeping the 5mm alive. If I had somewhere to shoot chucks, (closest ones are at least 100 miles) I'd be tempted to round up a 5mm and some ammo. Not much use for one around here unfortunately.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The Aguila stuff was inaccurate as heck in my cousin's rifle when we tried it.

Will have to swap scopes and rule that out.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It would have been nice if the 5mm REM mag would have survived commercially, I would have like to try it. I guess the shooting world just wasn’t ready for it back then. I didn’t even know about it until it was discontinued.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
It would have been nice if the 5mm REM mag would have survived commercially, I would have like to try it. I guess the shooting world just wasn’t ready for it back then. I didn’t even know about it until it was discontinued.

I thought it might make a comeback when the .17 HMR was red hot. Taurus cataloged a revolver but don't know if any actually made it to market.

[Linked Image from q7v4y8u3.rocketcdn.me]

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Pretty cool guys.

Had the chance to buy one, don't recall if it was the tube or magazine version, but I never heard of anything really good with the Centurion ammo, so passed.

barm, nice work on the re-finish and thanks for sharing on the cartridge that was probably ahead of its time.
Remington wasn't afraid at that time to get creative.

Thanks for keeping it alive in the fields.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by barm
Sweet!!!

Have you had any problems getting the Aguila/Centurion ammo to chamber and extract in your rifle? I tried it mine and it was rather difficult compared to the Remington ammo.

I have not.

Now......... I haven't used original Remington or Peters ammo. So I've nothing to compare it to. But I've never felt there was any undue effort either way (in or out) with the Aguila/Centurion stuff. I also haven't shot my 591M very much at all. It's about a 99% gun so I'd rather keep it that way. And from what little I did shoot it.........the 592M shot better.

Originally Posted by mjbgalt

I've read other accounts echoing yours. Again.......... I have no other ammo to compare to. But I've no accuracy complaints in the 592M. To date, my best on a woodchuck is 280 lasered yards. Shot it after another guy said it was too far for his .22 Hornet. grin I know the gun will do another 50 yards beyond that, or more under the right conditions.

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mjbgalt

Will have to swap scopes and rule that out.

The Aguila HP shot really well in mine, but the soft point with the hollow point was terrible.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
My 591 has shot the centurion ammo pretty darn well.

Nice work Barm, your pics make me want to get mine out of the safe

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Aguila HP shot really well in mine, but the soft point with the hollow point was terrible.

This is funny, because the soft point with the hollow point is what I'm shooting and it does very well. I have some of the Varmint Hollow Point stuff. But I haven't done much serious range time with it yet.

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dude270

It is a neat rifle and cartridge. I am glad that more people out there have one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

It is a neat rifle and cartridge. I am glad that more people out there have one.

You're not in this alone, brother. You have a (albeit small) support group. grin

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Yoder409

You're not in this alone, brother. You have a (albeit small) support group. grin

Agreed.

I've always had a soft spot for them. When I was a kid my dad kept a 591 propped up behind the door of our cabin. It was the catch all-do all gun for anything that needed shooting around the place. He kinda gave up on his when the original remington ammo dried up.

I ended up with one and a few bricks of centurion ammo probably close to 20 years ago. It was my favorite woods loafing rifle for a long time. I need to get it out again

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Great write up & photos Barm. Thanks for sharing.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ruffcutt

You still CAN try it. It's just gonna cost you some money. Kinda interesting that these same rifles were $125 all day long until Aguila/Centurion started producing the ammo again.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/948946895

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/941106196

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/947956561

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2624230772?pid=230772

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
651 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,748 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.