Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
160user Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I was trying to find a stock for a Browning Superposed and got what I thought was the correct stock. Do any of you know if the stocks changed slightly with different eras or DOM's? I even tried finding the part number stamped in the tang area (HX3643) and came up with a blank. I don't believe this is a Citori stock but it is a Browning O/U or some sorts. Any help would be appreciated.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have you had YOUR wood off the action? I can't tell you right away but the inlets look somewhat different than my early 50s Super. A lot less oily, for one thing, but the milling seems different. Either it fits, darn close at worst, or it doesn't. I do know that mine has a much more rounded grip "cap" area, rounded not flared, so I'm betting your trigger guard is curved differently than what you've got? That's probably likely, but where the sides come up to the back of the action it should be samety-same.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
looks more Citori to me...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Congrats on owning the finest shotgun ever made. I didn't keep up with Brownings when they stopped producing the round knob, long tang versions. Browning almost went under after mistakenly purchasing (Saltwood) walnut. Yikes! Ruined a lot of beautiful shotguns.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DMc
Congrats on owning the finest shotgun ever made. I didn't keep up with Brownings when they stopped producing the round knob, long tang versions. Browning almost went under after mistakenly purchasing (Saltwood) walnut. Yikes! Ruined a lot of beautiful shotguns.

That wood ruined a lot of fine Safari rifles too. Yes, I am trying to fit it to a 50's vintage gun and I believe this stock is off a much later one. I had assumed they were interchangable.

IC B2

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When Browning went to Japan and started making reproduction Model 12's, 42's and the little Browning Auto 22s, I was hoping they'd come out with a Superposed reproduction. Bummer it never happened, but with steel shot legislation that would have been another killer for them.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 160user
That wood ruined a lot of fine Safari rifles too.
Those stepped-barrel Safari's are amazing.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yes they were!

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Call Art’s gun shop, best in business with Browning superposed guns.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 160user
Originally Posted by DMc

That wood ruined a lot of fine Safari rifles too. Yes, I am trying to fit it to a 50's vintage gun and I believe this stock is off a much later one. I had assumed they were interchangable.
I've had two saltwood guns, a Superposed, which I sold cause the progressive rusting was painful to see. I still have a top-grade T-22, but it's pretty badly pitted.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always thought the W-shaped checkering was a Winchester thing...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The stock sure looks like a Browning to me, complete with Browning pad. I guess I don't know.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
nor am I certain. I haven't picked up a browning in a while

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Older 50's to early 60's supers had the long tang on the bottom. On a flat or square knob trap gun the end of the lower tang extends to within a 1/4" of the edge of the grip. It was also spear pointed in shape. The newer 70's supers had a short tang that only extended an 1" or so behind the trigger guard. Same as my 12 ga lightning citori. Maybe off a 101?..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
The long tangs weren’t salt guns I think.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
The pictures show a "U" inlet stock. Superposed stock inletting for the top tang right at the safety came in either a "Y" or "U" inletting. Has nothing to do with the short or long lower grip tangs. I am pretty sure the Y insetted grips were for the earlier guns and then Browning changed to the U tang design. The stocks are not interchangeable. BTW, My understanding is that none of the long tang guns or superlights had salt issues but it is always best to be careful.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
Call Art’s gun shop, best in business with Browning superposed guns.

100%... https://artsgunshop.com/

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
161 members (35, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 16 invisible), 1,846 guests, and 845 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,783
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.