O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
Originally Posted by Backroads
I tried some 3" shells in my Ohio-made Ithaca 37. Didn't like the recoil, so I went back to 2-3/4", 2's or 3's. Didn't see much in 2-3/4 available for quite a while, but they are starting to show up again here and there.

I only use Kent fasteel 2 3/4" #2 for all ducks. Kills em just fine

I and some others I know have experienced an unacceptable number of misfires with the Fasteels in recent years, both 2-3/4 and 3s. Primer is dimpled followed by a poof instead of a bang. I had a similar occurrence with some leftover Drylocks I switched to. Thinking about trying something else. Any suggestions?

That sucks! Does the wad make it out of the barrel?

I have not had any issues with the Kent loads in my Ithaca 37 or SX3, I am still working on the last flat I purchased a few years ago.

Have you reached out to Kent with a lot number?

Sorry for the slow response time. On some of the misfires, it sounded like someone was blowing down the barrel. On these, the shot, wad, and powder was gone but I'm guessing that the load just cleared the barrel before fizzling out. On other misfires, the primer was dented and nothing at all happened. Over Thanksgiving this happened 2-3 times one morning for my oldest son (shooting 3" shells). When we got home we tried to fire the shells in another gun or two; still would not fire. Later in the season he was hunting in Louisiana and was told by some of the guys there that they had been experiencing Fasteel misfires as well. It was later in the season when I had a misfire or two, but I don't remember now how those sounded. I don't know if anybody contacted Kent or not; neither my son nor I did. I did not think that the shells had gotten wet; even if they did, I would expect them to still fire especially since these are waterfowl loads. I also had a similar event with a Drylock, so I'm going to try another make this year, maybe Winchester Super X or Hevi Steel.

Reread this again,you have had 2 sets of issues with 2 different brands of shells dimpling the primers on both brands.that is no coincidence, you need to clean the bolt and firing pin recess of old oil ,lubricant and gunk build up. Clean and check firing pin and hammer springs for strength. Maybe you have defective shells of different brands but the gun malfunction is not the fault of the shells..
Mb

I use only Bismuth 2 3/4 shlls.

The more I get to know people, the better I like dogs, life is short, eat dessert first.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I tried some 3" shells in my Ohio-made Ithaca 37. Didn't like the recoil, so I went back to 2-3/4", 2's or 3's. Didn't see much in 2-3/4 available for quite a while, but they are starting to show up again here and there.

I and some others I know have experienced an unacceptable number of misfires with the Fasteels in recent years, both 2-3/4 and 3s. Primer is dimpled followed by a poof instead of a bang. I had a similar occurrence with some leftover Drylocks I switched to. Thinking about trying something else. Any suggestions?

I have not had any issues with the Kent loads in my Ithaca 37 or SX3, I am still working on the last flat I purchased a few years ago.

The wad doesn't always make it all the way down the barrel.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
That looks expensive but glad you didn't suffer injury as well..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem

I remember hearing about this. Quite a few hunters had similar incidents. I have also heard that some of the aftermarket chokes have issues with certain shells.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Did you cut the shells open to see if there was powder in them? Usually it isn't the primer that's the issue......

RAVENS & WOLVES
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

Sorry for the slow response time. On some of the misfires, it sounded like someone was blowing down the barrel. On these, the shot, wad, and powder was gone but I'm guessing that the load just cleared the barrel before fizzling out. On other misfires, the primer was dented and nothing at all happened. Over Thanksgiving this happened 2-3 times one morning for my oldest son (shooting 3" shells). When we got home we tried to fire the shells in another gun or two; still would not fire. Later in the season he was hunting in Louisiana and was told by some of the guys there that they had been experiencing Fasteel misfires as well. It was later in the season when I had a misfire or two, but I don't remember now how those sounded. I don't know if anybody contacted Kent or not; neither my son nor I did. I did not think that the shells had gotten wet; even if they did, I would expect them to still fire especially since these are waterfowl loads. I also had a similar event with a Drylock, so I'm going to try another make this year, maybe Winchester Super X or Hevi Steel.

Reread this again,you have had 2 sets of issues with 2 different brands of shells dimpling the primers on both brands.that is no coincidence, you need to clean the bolt and firing pin recess of old oil ,lubricant and gunk build up. Clean and check firing pin and hammer springs for strength. Maybe you have defective shells of different brands but the gun malfunction is not the fault of the shells..
Mb

I guess it's never a bad idea to do a deep clean, but I really don't think it is a gun issue. The 3" shells that clicked were re-fired in another gun and still didn't fire; I would think that even if already dimpled, they'd fire when properly struck. The gun that had the problem with the 2-3/4" shells has since run a fair number of lesser quality dove loads without any issues. Finally, the fellows in Louisiana were having the same problems, with the same shells, obviously with different guns than mine and my son's.

In order to isolate the variable, I'm going to hold off on implementing your suggestions. If this happens with another brand this season, then I'll be inclined to look more at the gun as the source of the problem. Thanks.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem

I am amazed that the wad stopping in the barrel could have caused that damage. I would have thought the next shot would have just pushed the preceding wad right out ahead of the shot charge. Wow, hope you weren't injured by this.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, a stuck wad would be low on my list of possible causes for that. It just doesn't offer any resistance like a stuck bullet would. Mud in the muzzle, yes. Hell, guys fire 'cut' shells without blowing up their barrel, or 3" shells in 2-3/4" chambers, seemingly without damage.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Gents, any issues with steel on a circa 2005 Fausti 12 ga SXS?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
No personal experience with shooting steel in a fine double gun, but I read in Big December Canvasbacks by Worth Mathewson that he shot steel in a full and full-er LC Smith with no adverse consequences. Not something I'd do, but to each his own. I'd guess that a Fausti of that vintage would be fine with steel.

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
👍

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I actually went and read the manual smile and it said it's fine for steel.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
When all else fails, read the directions, right?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It’s all I would use if it was readily available. Winchester Xpert and Faststeele have been my go to’s. I have never had any issues with either in my shotguns. 2s & 3s for ducks.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
👍

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
BOSS shot shells for the win. 2 3/4 #5s with a full choke are more than enough for geese or ducks. Seriously, read up on their stuff. These guys have it dialed in. MY cripple count is way down and we can crush them easily out to 50 yds.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Bullhead
Boss shells

Just placed an order for some BOSS shells earlier today

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just threw a bunch of Rio Bismuth 2 3/4 1350 fps 1 1/8 oz #4's in my blind bag. Got them at a good price and can shoot them in my older SxS's if I want. Also some Boss 3 inch #3/5 and # 3's . Hope specks are flying low , supposed to be a bit windy at the family rice.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,522 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,135
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.