Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by walt501
I just don't see where pulling the trans and transfer case is that big of a deal. I'm sure a good mechanic could complete the job in short order. It reminds me of the truck "experts" who advise against a Super Duty because "they have to pull the cab to work on them". Removing the cab gives much easier access to work on the vehicle, and I believe there are only 8 bolts holding the cab to the frame on a crew cab Super Duty.
What about all the electronics?

GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
I've never found an inline six motor I didn't like.

In the half ton world, hats off to gm for slapping the only firewood tractor motor in there......

Amen! I’m really excited to see Rams new twin turbo inline 6 gas engine. I see huge potential for longevity and reliability if done right

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Traded my 2020 Ram Ecodiesel for a GMC Sierra SLT with the 3.0 Duramax. Admittedly this was on level ground with a 15mph tailwind, but nevertheless I was impressed. It's a very smooth riding and running machine.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

JG why’d you swap? Problems with the Ecodiesel or just time to trade.

32 MPGs in a full-size wouldn’t stink a bit!

I had 43,600 miles on the Ram, and started getting error codes for "service ESC system, Service trailer brake system, and service 4wd system". Was getting these even when no trailer was hooked up and in spite of the fact that the 4wd system worked exactly as it should in all modes. Took it to the dealer and they cleared out the codes, but they returned on my way home. Figured out I could start the vehicle in "auto 4wd" mode and the errors wouldn't appear except for the "service 4wd" code that would intermittently go on and off, but the other two wouldn't show up at all, which was good because when those showed up the cruise wouldn't work. Anyway, to make a long story short, took it back to the dealer, they think it needs a new ABS module, which would take 3 months to source the part. The dealer where I traded it off was also a Ram dealer and they said they would deal with Mopar on it, so I got rid of it.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by huntsonora
I've never found an inline six motor I didn't like.

In the half ton world, hats off to gm for slapping the only firewood tractor motor in there......

Amen! I’m really excited to see Rams new twin turbo inline 6 gas engine. I see huge potential for longevity and reliability if done right

Sounds interesting Drum! Hope you're doing well buddy.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Traded my 2020 Ram Ecodiesel for a GMC Sierra SLT with the 3.0 Duramax. Admittedly this was on level ground with a 15mph tailwind, but nevertheless I was impressed. It's a very smooth riding and running machine.

I had 43,600 miles on the Ram, and started getting error codes for "service ESC system, Service trailer brake system, and service 4wd system". Was getting these even when no trailer was hooked up and in spite of the fact that the 4wd system worked exactly as it should in all modes. Took it to the dealer and they cleared out the codes, but they returned on my way home. Figured out I could start the vehicle in "auto 4wd" mode and the errors wouldn't appear except for the "service 4wd" code that would intermittently go on and off, but the other two wouldn't show up at all, which was good because when those showed up the cruise wouldn't work. Anyway, to make a long story short, took it back to the dealer, they think it needs a new ABS module, which would take 3 months to source the part. The dealer where I traded it off was also a Ram dealer and they said they would deal with Mopar on it, so I got rid of it.

I am getting a bit of the same deal. My 2020 is in for it's 2nd complete fuel system replacement right now. Over 2 months. I have been raising hell with FCA and the dealer but between the parts backup and all of the other horseshit, I am tired of waiting on stuff. It is a few months too old for a buyback. I was given a 1500 loaner, but that doesn't help move my gooseneck and 5th wheel trailers.

Sounds like it worked out great for you JG.

Semper Fi
IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I am getting a bit of the same deal. My 2020 is in for it's 2nd complete fuel system replacement right now. Over 2 months. I have been raising hell with FCA and the dealer but between the parts backup and all of the other horseshit, I am tired of waiting on stuff. It is a few months too old for a buyback. I was given a 1500 loaner, but that doesn't help move my gooseneck and 5th wheel trailers.

Sounds like it worked out great for you JG.

Friend bought a brand new gmc 1 ton with diesel few months ago. About 2 weeks later in the shop I forget what was wrong but it wasn’t a 1 day fix. They ended having that truck for over a month waiting on parts. My other bud bough a new f350 last year. Paperwork all signed he didn’t even make it off the lot if I remember right. It was a computer chip something I will have ask him when I see him. Sat at ford for a few weeks. They did give him a nice f150 for a loaner truck. GMC didn’t give my buddy chit.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
John, it’s a complete ball buster. Mines a new 2020, but since it was over 18 months from time of purchase it doesn’t qualify for lemon law buy back.

Today, I’m seriously getting the Ford 7.3 gasser.

Semper Fi
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I traded mine as well JG , I was getting 22-23 HWY with the 5.7HemiHybrid. I just needed something for my wife and I barely drove it 6500 miles in one year . I am going to look at another Truck but have not decided on one yet. I have met exactly one person that has a 3.0 duramax and he was ecstatic with it.

MGunns Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looks like it'll all be electric trucks soon. Putting dual exhaust on my 5.0 f150 hopefully this weekend

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Talked to my nephew in Oregon logging country and some loggers are using the 3.0 GM diesel in their crummies will be interesting how they hold up.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Now over 60k in the 3.0 Duramax. I did have a check engine light that turned out to be the need to replace one of the sensors in the exhaust system. Other than that which was under warranty, no issues

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by duckster
Now over 60k in the 3.0 Duramax. I did have a check engine light that turned out to be the need to replace one of the sensors in the exhaust system. Other than that which was under warranty, no issues

Good stuff. Thanks for the update!

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Duckster, thats better than a toyota Tacoma I bought few years back:

Long before 60k miles:
Front differential disconnect inop lost 4wd
Rear axle seal

Great engine in that truck. I'm building a gm inline 6 right now: 292 chevy.

Forged .060 high compression pistons, roller cam, roller rockers, clifford headers, clifford intake manifold. Davis Unified Ignition (HEI)

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 01/26/23.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That 292 sounds like it'll be a good motor Mainer. What are you putting it in?

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Beretz, developed a bad oil leak in my 2002 7.3 powerstroke. So just putting together a simple/cheap gas truck till I get that 7.3 pulled and overhauled.

292 is going in a 1968 k20 along with 4:56 geared axles and hydroboost brakes from a military m1028 suarebody with 13000 miles. Axles have detroit locker in rear, limited slip diff in front. 1 and 1/4 ton leaf springs.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Beretz, developed a bad oil leak in my 2002 7.3 powerstroke. So just putting together a simple/cheap gas truck till I get that 7.3 pulled and overhauled.

292 is going in a 1968 k20 along with 4:56 geared axles and hydroboost brakes from a military m1028 suarebody with 13000 miles. Axles have detroit locker in rear, limited slip diff in front. 1 and 1/4 ton leaf springs.

That old K20 should be a beast! Maybe not friendly on gas but man, if you can keep it fed you should be able to get about anywhere you’ve got business taking a truck.

Semper Fi
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
K
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
K
I just bought one last Oct new, now have about 10,700 mile. Love it so far and after much research, it’s what I was looking for.
Around town average driving get about 23 mpg, on trips including running around when i get there usually 26 mpg average. That’s numbers from the computer.
It also shows best mileage over 50 miles. 31.2. I have averaged 29 for interstate trips.

Very happy

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My average for 75% highway and 25% city has been pretty steady at 24.5 mpg. That is with larger than factory AT tires

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Have a 2022 Trail Boss with 15k miles and have averaged 21 since new. Not what I was expecting and definitely not worth the extra cost of diesel and DEF.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
664 members (06hunter59, 17Fan, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 74 invisible), 2,656 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,346
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.