24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am from Michigan and one of my favorite rivers for Steelhead has swift current and uneven rocky bottom to contend with. I am thinking of using a wading staff.
I would like a recommendation.

Thanks, 300 Savage

GB2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I use an old trekking pole by Komperdell. I consider a staff or trekking pole a must for fording rocky bottoms especially if pulling my yak upstream thru shallows.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

I lost one of my Komperdell poles awhile back so bought a pair of these to try, you only need one for wading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...;linkId=f61143fc4ad867c4f34317bf5af7c212

https://troutbitten.com/2019/05/14/...on-choosing-and-carrying-a-wading-stick/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do. I have used a Folstaf (https://folstaf.com/) and hiking poles. Both work great. I like the Folstaff better and use it more. I think they are a "must have" in fast moving water.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I use a Folstaf also. Rocky Mountain Amblers has the best prices I could find. I got the longer one, glad I did.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tried three or four models years back as I get pretty aggressive at fly fishing for steelhead usually going within an inch or so of ones armpits. When wading that deep, it's really quite hard to fall over. Four inch deep water is a little scary, as it does hurt when one hits bottom there.

When fishing, I let the cast swing to a dangle, take two steps, cast and swing, and repeat. Found them to be a pain in the ass with loops of fly line getting entangled, taking extra time to clear line and retrieve the staff before moving, and just switching the rod to the off hand to handle the staff takes even more time. Also, the tip frequently gets stuck in cracks and crevices and landing a real sporting fish midstream can get a bit more interesting.

I'm also old and know precisely where I can and cannot go in the rivers we frequent. If one does go in, then one has both a tethered stick and 10+ ft fly rod to handle while swimming ashore. So when fishing, absolutely not. If tackling a rapid stretch in an attempt to get across a stream though, I will look for a stick, but will not have line in the water during those intervals.

I don't use cleats, but do wear boots with fabric soles that bite into algae covered stones etc.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/21/21.

1Minute
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Folstaff, won’t go fishing without it.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I do. Old bamboo shaft ski pole with the original point. Given to me by a good friend who uses the mate. I never had used one before the day my friend gifted me that one. Will always have one from now on, hopefully that one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a Folstaff for years and I think I accidentally left it on a stream a couple years ago as it went missing. Worked great except such a pain to get refolded (yes, even with the tapping trick) and I replaced it with one from LL Beam that has been entirely satisfactory and comes apart easier.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have and use a Folstaff, it does get in the way at times, it is always on my wader belt in case I need it. As I get older I have found that it is more useful. Did not go for a swim at all last year. 😁

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a folding wading staff or a hiking staff I made from aspen with a rubber crutch tip on bottom. Since my lower back surgery fused several vertebrae I do not have the same balance or the ability to recover my balance like I once did. The staff helps me keep my top side up.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I use one. The riffle behind the house runs pretty fast across a knee deep cobble bar and the current pushes hard into deep water beyond. We're only a couple miles below the dam and the water runs really cold year around, wet wading isn't much of an option. A fall in waders looks fatal. I fished it once without a staff, gave me the "willies" the whole time, so I went down to Sportsman's and picked up a wading staff. I got one by "Fish Pond" ... it is basically like a pretty heavy, pretty stiff trekking pole.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have one I made myself couple years ago, and I've used it in spring during heavy flows. I need to store it with my flyrod and use it every trip! My stream is treacherously rocky, fast water even when low, very tough wading often!

U
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
A willow stick as thick as your wrist works and is convenient here in the west.

Arky
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
I use an old ski pole. I have a large loop at the end that allows me to hang it on my left shoulder. When I stop to fish, I just let it hang in the current.
I won't wade any stream w/o it. It will allow you to reach water that no one else can reach. In a stream, that is often where the fish are. E

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
I use an old ski pole. I have a large loop at the end that allows me to hang it on my left shoulder. When I stop to fish, I just let it hang in the current.
I won't wade any stream w/o it. It will allow you to reach water that no one else can reach. In a stream, that is often where the fish are. E

^^^This^^^

It allows me to reach water others can’t, or won’t attempt to fish.
I have an old Collapsible Cabela’s Aluminum wading staff I bought from them about 20 years ago

We fish the quality water just below Navajo Damn on the San Juan River in NM quite a bit.
It’s very swift, sometimes 6000 fps going through there. And gets deep in a hurry.
And It varies, between 750 to 7500 fps, and can get dangerous real quick.

I’ve been there a couple of times when others fly fishing stepped off in a deep hole, went under, and drowned. They usually find them a day or two later, 6 or 7 miles downstream.
You had better be damn sure you’re wearing a wading belt, when fishing there, to keep your waders from filling up if you get dunked.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I dont when I wade the salt but If I river fished with my balance I would be using one.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I got a collapsible last year. Haven't used it yet and not sure I will. Had some ski poles that actually looked better but I think I sold them at a garage sale. Probably going to get something bigger than I now have.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I have to use them all the time these days , I would reccomend a wading staff that locks ,Simms and Orvis are a couple of examples. DON'T forget to put threadlocker on the tip attachment.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you can stand the chinese stigma, an Ozark Trail hiking pole from Wal Mart won't set you back but a few bucs, like $12-$15 or so

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
643 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 70 invisible), 2,778 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,211
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.