Print Thread
Hop To
R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I believe I am having a problem with my SD Card. I am using it in a Sony RX10- Mark 4 and until today did not have any problems. Today I noticed that when trying to take 3 frames/second for several seconds I would get the error on my camera screen saying that "Writing to the memory card was not completed correctly. Recover data?" When I clicked enter another message came up on my camera screen saying "Execute? This may damage data that was added or edited on another device."

I clicked through those messages selecting for it to do what it needed to do. Then I found that I could view on my camera screen most, but not all of the quick succession pics. Then when I put the SD Card into my laptop I got an error message saying "We found errors on this drive. To prevent data loss, repair this drive now. So I selected to have the computer do that repair. It indicates that it is scanning and repairing the drive in the pop up but it also says Error Checking USB Drive. I am unable to close that popup without opening up Task Manager and selecting to end that task (COM Surrogate). When I do that then the USB Drive opens up and I can view the photos. This same thing happened when I inserted the SD Card into my work computer after taking some more photos.

So as I said at the beginning I think I probably need a new SD Card. Some of the pictures show up as mostly being green with a bit of the actual image at the top of the photo. I got this SD Card new when I bought the camera new last November. It is a Sony SD Card- SDXC 64 GB. It also has an E on the card. I do not know what that indicates and it has a Read speed of 270 MB/s and a Write speed of 70 MB/s.

Can anyone recommend a better SD Card that hopefully will last longer and perhaps even have faster read and write speeds? I am not a professional photographer but would like a realiable SD Card. I do not really think I need one with more storage because I typically delete the photos after I transfer them to my laptop but might get a 128 GB card anyway.

Thanks for any help you can offer, Brian

GB1

R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Some additional info. I remembered that I had an older SD Card in my old camera so I put it in my new Sony. When I turned on the camera the screen said "Image database could not be found" and asked if I wanted to create one. So I selected to do that. Then I was able to take photos. But when I put the old SD Card into my laptop I got the same error message that there were errors on the drive. When I selected to have my laptop fix the drive it actually did (showing the green bar moving across like something was happening) and then I was able to open the drive and view the photos.

The old SD Card is slower to read/write but seems to now be working better than the new SD Card.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Did you format the new card to the camera?

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Apparently so. As noted in my second post when I put in the old SD Card the camera asked me if I wanted to create an image database. I did that and am now using the old SD Card with success.

R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I reformatted it and it is working fine again.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rare, but often happens if power fails during a read/write exercise. Probably best to let the camera do the formatting.

1Minute
R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I did the reformatting of the SD card in the camera by using the menu. Seems to be fine now.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Given the low cost of SD cards, I would probably get a new one if I were worried about losing any important photos.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

295 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 338rcm, 31 invisible), 1,505 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,338
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.