24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In Colorado they’ll send you a letter in the mail; throw it away. Then they’ll send you a second, more threatening letter in the mail; throw it away. Then they’ll eventually send you a third, even more threatening letter in the mail; throw it away. Do not correspond with them in any way regarding this matter. If you don’t get served personally (don’t answer a knock on your door) or sent legal notice by certified mail (do not sign for any certified mail), then it all goes away after 90 days from the date of the ‘violation’. Period. No “bench warrants” or any other BS. No points on your drivers license, no increase in your insurance premiums, no nuthin’. It’s not even reported to the DMV.

It’s nothing more than a money grab by the local municipality. Phuuk em’.

https://rectorlawfirm.com/do-i-have-to-pay-a-red-light-camera-ticket/

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Wife got a red light ticket once. Petitioned to see the source video. Yup she ran the light. Marker in my book. 🤣😂🤣
bastid!

But.................I'd likely do the same!

Bro you know it. Helps when your brother was the Captain overseeing Traffic at the time. Hehehe.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
In Illinois you get a link to the video when you get the ticket. The one my wife got clearly showed her entering and going through the intersection after the light had turned red.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When Tucson had red light cameras the ticket was sent by mail with instructions to log onto a website to see what it was about. If you logged on that website, they had proof you received the ticket. If you didn't log on you could claim you never received it. The tickets were sent by USPS and not registered or signature required. I think most people just threw them away.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
You need to read what the tickets say. Mostly they are administrative tickets offering civil penalties. That is to say, if you live in that county or city, you won’t be able to renew your tags if you don’t pay. If you don’t live there, put it in the trash.

That’s the way they were in Texas before they were outlawed. My father-in-law and I both got one for running a red light on the same day in Dibol. Neither one of us even remembered coming close to running the one red light in Dibol. He paid his. I threw mine in the trash. Ten or twelve years later, I still get occasional letters from some debt collection law firm in San Antonio warning me of dire consequences if I don’t pay.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
It's been proven that many towns installed the cameras and at the same shortened the time of the yellow light. It's nothing more than a way to generate revenue.

I kind of doubt this. No professional traffic engineer would ever do this kind of stuff - it's a safety issue and it [bleep] with driver expectation.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Not a red light camera but something similar. Highway patrolman gave me a ticket for running a red light when I knew damn well I had not. Defective signal and the yellow only lasted for one and half seconds. If you hit the white cross walk line just as it turned yellow the light would turn red in the short time frame.
Took a movie camera with tripod and set up and filmed that short sequence until I the film ran dry. A fifty foot roll doesn't last all that long. I forget how many frames a second that *mm ran but I proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that the yellow was only 1.5 seconds in length. Unfortunately this was San Francisco and if you got ticket regardless the fact that you proved otherwise you were still guilty/$200 fine and $500 court costs.Just another reason why about 8 months later I left the communist city by the bay forever.
PJ

Last edited by PJGunner; 09/20/22.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
It's been proven that many towns installed the cameras and at the same shortened the time of the yellow light. It's nothing more than a way to generate revenue.

I kind of doubt this. No professional traffic engineer would ever do this kind of stuff - it's a safety issue and it [bleep] with driver expectation.
Yes, it was being done. I saw some charts that showed the standard length of the yellow. Some towns were shortening it by several seconds. What brought it to the public eye was an increase in rear end collisions at lights as drivers slammed on their brakes when they turned yellow.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
I got two speeding tickets from a camera speed trap in Bluff City TN and never paid either one of them. I received 2-3 followup notices but ditched those as well. Nothing happened.

Would that the the community of Piney Flats right outside of Bluff City and south of the racetrack. That is a speed trap from hell for someone out of town. It is a nice 4-lane highway in a fairly noncongested area with a 45 mph limit. My son-in-law has gotten a couple of camera tickets there.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Are traffic cameras bulletproof? Seems like some armor piercing milsurp .30-06 from half a block away at 2:00 AM might be pretty effective.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JoeBob
You need to read what the tickets say. Mostly they are administrative tickets offering civil penalties. That is to say, if you live in that county or city, you won’t be able to renew your tags if you don’t pay. If you don’t live there, put it in the trash.

That’s the way they were in Texas before they were outlawed. My father-in-law and I both got one for running a red light on the same day in Dibol. Neither one of us even remembered coming close to running the one red light in Dibol. He paid his. I threw mine in the trash. Ten or twelve years later, I still get occasional letters from some debt collection law firm in San Antonio warning me of dire consequences if I don’t pay.

I got one in Diboll, Tx, about 3 years ago. Before daylight and I followed a 18 wheeler thru a red light and it turned red as I went thru. Saw the camera flash in the mirror. Sure enough, I get the ticket with a pic of my truck and the red light. I paid it.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stxhunter
When I worked for oil states and had to go through Houston I'd get on the tollway and run the tollway both, the company would pay the tickets.
My wifes mother drove out with her friend to visit from MN, the friend drove.
They drove thru the open road tolling booths without stopping and without the transponder. Going home they did the same thing. They had know idea about the open road tolling booths.
They were very surprised when a crapload of tickets showed up in the mail.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
We had one here for a couple of years. The cameras and radar start taking a series of photos and speed readings slightly before the light turns red. An officer reviewed the photos and speed readings to determine if a ticket was sent. If you maintained the same speed or slowed as you went through the intersection you were very likely to not get a ticket if it were close. If you accelerated through the intersection, they figured you were trying to beat the light.

They also considered that if you were behind a large truck and couldn't see the light until you were in the intersection. As long as it was a slow speed situation, they didn't send a ticket.

The 1st year lots of tickets were issued. But the state legislature passed a law requiring the yellow light had to stay on for 1 full second longer at lights with cameras than other intersections. That 1 extra second meant that the number of tickets issued the 2nd year was way down. It was costing the city more to have the cameras than they were bringing in from fines. After the 2nd year they took them down and kept the extra 1 second on the yellow light.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dassa
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Camera generated tickets have been argued in court many times. We have the right to face our accuser. No camera has ever testified in court.

I think the state or city is the accuser, the photo is just the evidence.
Would the accused be able to subpoena the installer to ask how they guarantee the camera functions properly?

I guess if you'd like to take it that far, you could.

That would be the same as sending a subpoena to the guy who made a radar unit to explain it was working properly when you got a speeding ticket.

If you have enough money, you can appeal anything up the ladder of courts. Lawyers love that! smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Lot's of stories out there.

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search...ozilla&hsimp=yhs-100&type=newtab

Florida
https://slate.com/news-and-politics...s-to-rake-in-traffic-camera-revenue.html

NY City
https://nypost.com/2012/10/08/citys...lights-to-increase-ticket-revenue-study/

6 Other cities
https://ww2.motorists.org/blog/6-cities-that-were-caught-shortening-yellow-light-times-for-profit/

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Hardwoodmaterials
I have never paid a red light ticket. If they send a ticket in the mail I throw it in the trash.

This. I've thrown out 4, I think. 1st one was 15 years ago or so.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't know how to fight it

but red light cameras are a perfect example to me of community leaders making decisions that go against the will of the people

I mean if you put it to a vote, would anyone in the community be in favor a red light camera that monitors people 24/7 and results in them paying a fine? Yea, maybe one or two rainbow flag flying guys who ride their recumbent bikes instead of a car, but by and large, the community would be against it. Yet leaders make the decision, most often to justify revenue with little to no regard to safety.

I just do a slow burn when stuff like this happens - all you can do is vote them out I guess. Who has time to fight city hall.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Originally Posted by JoeBob

I got one in Diboll, Tx, about 3 years ago. Before daylight and I followed a 18 wheeler thru a red light and it turned red as I went thru. Saw the camera flash in the mirror. Sure enough, I get the ticket with a pic of my truck and the red light. I paid it.
I don't know about other states, but here, at least previously, if your front bumper has entered the intersection before it turned red, you're legal. I say previously because it's reported that currently there are no functioning cameras in the state. There are still cameras on the lights but they're all disconnected.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dassa
Camera generated tickets have been argued in court many times. We have the right to face our accuser. No camera has ever testified in court.

I think the state or city is the accuser, the photo is just the evidence.
Would the accused be able to subpoena the installer to ask how they guarantee the camera functions properly?

I guess if you'd like to take it that far, you could.

That would be the same as sending a subpoena to the guy who made a radar unit to explain it was working properly when you got a speeding ticket.

If you have enough money, you can appeal anything up the ladder of courts. Lawyers love that! smile
Guy I knew in college kinda did something like that to beat a DUI. IIRC, he was able to prove with statistics that they could not claim 100% he blew the state min on the breathalyzer. Again, IIRC, the device was not being calibrated correctly or on the proper schedule. Cost him a few grand, but he wanted if off his record before applying to medical school.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had to go to Tyler TX a while back for a friend’s wedding. Their bullshiet toll “booths” that take you picture and send you a bill were advertised as honoring OK Pikepass. Apparently they don’t because I got a bill in the mail a couple weeks later.

I paid it online with my bank card almost as soon as it showed up. Only to get another bill with late fees the following week. I attempted to call and sort it out but they’re only open for calls half a day one day a week and are apparently either flooded with calls or they don’t actually answer. So after multiple attempts to contact them I commenced to throwing their scary letters into the trash. I bet I got those damn bills for 9 months before they stopped sending them.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
664 members (1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 007FJ, 75 invisible), 2,702 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,367
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.