M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Dangit, that's pretty rough!

Yes it is.

I'm still left curious as to why the first group put four in a decent cluster, then the second group was all over the place. I stopped between groups, gut up off the ground, and reloaded the magazine for the second group. I wasn't in a comfortable position really, prone on the ground, shooting uphill, with a [bleep] midway rear bag that was kind of loose.

Then the question arises, was my scope new and adjustments a little sticky? Did my scope adjustments not take effect until a shot or two jarred the adjustments?

I'll probably load a few more rounds, put a rifle buttstock lower on this upper, bring out the portable shooting bench, and give it one more chance.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Maybe heat, maybe the load is a bit hot. SAAMI says 50 KPSI MAP and it will do that with 150 grain bullets at the velocity you pursue...if my Hodgdon Load Data means anything.

Still, all the little people that shot at me with that round would be proud of the groups you shot. Except for the dead ones, they don't care anymore.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Maybe heat, maybe the load is a bit hot. SAAMI says 50 KPSI MAP and it will do that with 150 grain bullets at the velocity you pursue...if my Hodgdon Load Data means anything.

Still, all the little people that shot at me with that round would be proud of the groups you shot. Except for the dead ones, they don't care anymore.

I've had decent results loading the Hornady 155gr ELD-M bullet. Figured I'd try these 180gr since I have about 2000 of them on the bench.

Sometimes things work out, sometimes they don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess I never considered a 7.62x39 in an AR.

Suppose I have a RR lower with a JSE 5.56 upper. Also a selection of mags for the 5.56.

What all would i need to do to put and operate a 7.62x39 upper on it? Or do I need a lower designed just for it?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by johnw

Suppose I have a RR lower with a JSE 5.56 upper. Also a selection of mags for the 5.56.

What all would i need to do to put and operate a 7.62x39 upper on it? Or do I need a lower designed just for it?

All you need is an upper in 7.62x39, and magazines for the 7.62x39.

If you get an upper from Palmetto State Armory, it will come with an enhanced firing pin. It's a little longer to work with the deep seated and hard primers on steel case ammo.

For magazines you want the DuraMags.

The steel case ammo works best with a heavy milspec trigger. The heavy hammer and spring get the round on it's way.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

If you get an upper from Palmetto State Armory, it will come with an enhanced firing pin. It's a little longer to work with the deep seated and hard primers on steel case ammo.

The steel case ammo works best with a heavy milspec trigger. The heavy hammer and spring get the round on it's way.

Tried for months to get an upper from PSA, consistently out of stock. Wound up grabbing a 300BO upper for cheap since I had 1000rds of ammo. Have many 1000’s of rounds of x39 that’s relegated to AK duty now.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Tried for months to get an upper from PSA, consistently out of stock. Wound up grabbing a 300BO upper for cheap since I had 1000rds of ammo. Have many 1000’s of rounds of x39 that’s relegated to AK duty now.

My 20" mid-gas 7.62x39 upper is from AR15Parts.com. I haven't had any issues with it either. They have a few in stock,

https://ar15parts.com/upper-assemblies/7-62x39-uppers-ar15/

I picked up my 16" upper from PSA a couple years ago. At that time they were on sale for $239, with BCG and CH.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
$239 is a steal. I put mine together with a Green Mtn barrel, AGB, RCA BCG (either with or added an x39 firing pin), heavy hammer spring in the lower, and ended up using a burly float tube that used to be on a Grendel uppper. Parts were sparse at the time.

Been using it, (outside of manufacturer's recommendation) with a 9mm suppressor.😁

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I see Bear Creek Arsenal has some budget-friendly uppers. I don't have any experience with BCA.

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/guns-parts/ar-15/ar-15-complete-upper-assembly/7-62x39.html

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
$239 is a steal. I put mine together with a Green Mtn barrel, AGB, RCA BCG (either with or added an x39 firing pin), heavy hammer spring in the lower, and ended up using a burly float tube that used to be on a Grendel uppper. Parts were sparse at the time.

Been using it, (outside of manufacturer's recommendation) with a 9mm suppressor.😁

cool

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Something to think about, I guess. I'm happier with my first owned AR (5.56) than I thought I'd be. It's a really useful little carbine.

Not sure if I'm into expanding the hobbies just now, but I'm sure that something similar to what I've got, in 7.62, would be cool to own and use.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M

Something to think about, I guess. I'm happier with my first owned AR (5.56) than I thought I'd be. It's a really useful little carbine.

Not sure if I'm into expanding the hobbies just now, but I'm sure that something similar to what I've got, in 7.62, would be cool to own and use.

I got into the AR 7.62x39 a couple years or so back. 5.56 ammo was getting pricey/low supply. My reasons were 7.62x39 affordability/availability. Also, the uppers were very reasonable.

I wanted an AK-47, but didn't want to spend so much at the time. Glad I waited, the PSAK GF5 is a nice rifle.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
The KS-47 from PSA has impressed me a great deal... ever with the junker Cabelas 2-7 optic.

9 our of 10 on 8" steel rounds at 400 yards...

500 was bad.

Tula and Wolf 123 IIRC.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by CashisKing
The KS-47 from PSA has impressed me a great deal... ever with the junker Cabelas 2-7 optic.

9 our of 10 on 8" steel rounds at 400 yards...

500 was bad.

Tula and Wolf 123 IIRC.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Those do look like a great way to go, with 7.62x39. You can't ask for more accuracy than that with Tula/Wolf.

I just put a Primary Arms 3X Micro Prism on my AK, with an AK Master Mount. It has the ACSS reticle.

I zero'd it at 22 yards using the 300 yard reticle hold point (Per QuickTarget calculations that is the close-range crossing point).

Then I was banging rocks out to 600 yards using the reticle holdoffs. It is working very well on rocks roughly 18" wide. That was with Tula 122gr FMJ.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Those do look like a great way to go, with 7.62x39. You can't ask for more accuracy than that with Tula/Wolf.

I just put a Primary Arms 3X Micro Prism on my AK, with an AK Master Mount. It has the ACSS reticle.

I zero'd it at 22 yards using the 300 yard reticle hold point (Per QuickTarget calculations that is the close-range crossing point).

Then I was banging rocks out to 600 yards using the reticle holdoffs. It is working very well on rocks roughly 18" wide. That was with Tula 122gr FMJ.

I had a AR or two in x39 and had mag drama (I know, some mags do better than others).

Tried this one on a sale and it has been a great hybrid...

- AK mag feed reliability

- AR bolt lock-up for accuracy.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I recently added a Primary Arms 3X Micro Prism with the ACSS reticle on the PSAK GF5. Zero'd it and the reticle tracks well out to 600 yards with Tula 122gr FMJ.

I picked up the optic and mount from Rob Ski's online store. It's a good price for optic and the Master Mount package,

https://shop.akoperatorsunionlocal4...ack-SLx-3X-MicroPrism-Annihilator-3x.htm

Being a lefty, I like that the mount doesn't hang down below the receiver and in the way of the trigger at all.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Inspired by your thread, I swapped a 10x SWFA onto my x39 AR to see what it's capable of. Have some Geco FMJ, and Prvi RN and SP to try. I'll post it, even if it's fuggly!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's a great little round. I've never had a AK47 type rifle but, had a Chinese SKS Type 56 years ago, and have wanted to kick my ass several times for selling it. But, have shot a few more and good little rifles. An upper for an AR would be interesting too.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I really liked my CZ 527 that was chambered in 7.62 x 39 once I rebarreled it to 6.5 Grendel 5 years ago or so. Last year she got another barrel this time in 6mm ARC. So Ill say in my opinion the 7.62 x 39 is ok, 6.5 Grendel is good & 6mm Arc is great.

I am a reloader type of shooter so this may shed some light on my opinion.

The 7.62 x 39, 50 round ammo boxes are cool as well once filled w 6mm ARC ammo.

Last edited by Hunterapp; 09/20/22.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Inspired by your thread, I swapped a 10x SWFA onto my x39 AR to see what it's capable of. Have some Geco FMJ, and Prvi RN and SP to try. I'll post it, even if it's fuggly!

You bet, I'll be interested in seeing your results. I haven't tried any handloads in the AK, it seems to be about 3 moa on average, with the steel cased ammo.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

436 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 39 invisible), 2,028 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,746
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.