Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I have never had much luck smoking deer or elk. Meat is too dark and too lean. A good rub will liven it up. Elk loin is better grilled rare with salt/pepper, spritz with EVO.

My spaghetti sauce comes out differently every time I make a batch. Some of it really sucks

I smoke game all the time. Have to pull it early (115 deg) and sear it. You can sear on grill, I prefer a hot steel pan.
Exactly...Smoker til 115-117 ish...Wrap & rest, then HOTT cast iron
Sear...

GB1

2sticks Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Searing it is a great idea.
I will do that on the next one. I have quite a bit of elk to eat before November.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
As scientifically as we can, as artistically as we try, often as not the meat is just average. And believe it, I have overpaid for meats and had less than stellar results. I’m no chef, but am a heck of a cook and work hard at it. It’s therapy for me so I’m very tedious and careful w it. But saying that I have stepped on a frog a few times. YMMV.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gkt5450
As scientifically as we can, as artistically as we try, often as not the meat is just average. And believe it, I have overpaid for meats and had less than stellar results. I’m no chef, but am a heck of a cook and work hard at it. It’s therapy for me so I’m very tedious and careful w it. But saying that I have stepped on a frog a few times. YMMV.

You can ditch the lantern, Diogenes - we have found an honest man.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I have never had much luck smoking deer or elk. Meat is too dark and too lean. A good rub will liven it up. Elk loin is better grilled rare with salt/pepper, spritz with EVO.

My spaghetti sauce comes out differently every time I make a batch. Some of it really sucks
Me either. I never had much luck smoking loins of any kind. I like my loins seared and grilled rare or medium rare. Same with any other wild game chop or steak. I save my smoking for pork and poultry. I have smoked venison shoulder then finished it off tender by braising it on the smoker in a covered tin pan. That made some pretty good taco meat.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I made some Pollo Asada this year. It looked great but it was like eating a rubber chicken. I think it was the marinade that caused this. I marinaded over night and I think that was too long. Usually I only use that type of marinade for a few hours. I have made plenty of meals
That just didn't measure up to my expectations.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gkt5450

Yep, this is an excellent depiction of our exact situation !!!!

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
2sticks Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am just guessing, but I figure you guys have been on the edge of your seats waiting for the outcome of my smoked loin. I think that I claimed disappointment a bit too early.

I sliced some up after it had rested and ate it with the rest of my meal. It was pretty good, but I did not hear any angels singing. I was disappointed and initiated this thread. I wrapped it back up in the foil and let it cool. Then I wrapped it more foil and threw it in the beer fridge. I forgot about it until today. Holy cow! I don't know what happened, but it has to be one of the best pieces of meat I have eaten in a long time. Moist. Tender. Smokey. Total surprise.

Thank you for all of your I put.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Anyone who does a lot of cooking screws the pooch occasionally, but if you pay attention to details it shouldn't happen often. This is a little off-topic but I have been disappointed a lot lately with dinners at our local restaurants. And it's not just the food it's the service too. It's making staying at home a good idea especially if you want a fine steak.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have smoked a few things that did not turn out to my liking, you learn what to do and what not to do in those cases.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by super T
Anyone who does a lot of cooking screws the pooch occasionally, but if you pay attention to details it shouldn't happen often. This is a little off-topic but I have been disappointed a lot lately with dinners at our local restaurants. And it's not just the food it's the service too. It's making staying at home a good idea especially if you want a fine steak.

Especially so, if you like a couple of drinks, with your meal !!

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
About 1 out of 6 new meals I try fail to impress. Nothing ventured, nothing gained is how I look at it.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Every time my wife pulls a new box from the freezer to make a "homemade" dinner.....

Cooking ain't hard, but when you can mess up an On-cor Meal, just stay out of the kitchen...

Last edited by Chumleyhunts; 09/21/22.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
No because I know how to cook.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I wouldn't expect a whole red meat loin to be good smoked.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 5sdad
It happens all too frequently when I follow a recipe that was presented to me as one that made the gods weep from joy.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sparkman10mm
Originally Posted by FatCity67
First couple times I did pheasants and ducks bout 30+ years ago. Then I bought this game cookbook.

[Linked Image from i.etsystatic.com]
I have the same book...
Me to there's a tater recipe on page 83/84 that's great ..riced... then there's a rabbit one with sour cream and mushrooms...great with squril to ..even chicken !

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Too frequently.

And it seems the more flavor I expect, the more disappointed I am.
Like the OP, others often enjoy it...

A big problem is the hope that every new recipe will become
another of those special meals. So anything less than fantastic is
a disappointment.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Originally Posted by sparkman10mm
Originally Posted by FatCity67
First couple times I did pheasants and ducks bout 30+ years ago. Then I bought this game cookbook.

[Linked Image from i.etsystatic.com]
I have the same book...
Me to there's a tater recipe on page 83/84 that's great ..riced... then there's a rabbit one with sour cream and mushrooms...great with squril to ..even chicken !

Wish I still had my copy, pic was pulled from intranets. Lent it to some one 20+ years ago and never got it back. Not worth paying for a new copy now with the all the interwebs recipes. Still check though when going through used book stores.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am hard on my own cooking.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,863 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,350
Posts18,468,852
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.