Print Thread
Hop To
A
Akbob5 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
I think there was a thread on this quite some time ago, but I couldn’t turn anything up in an advanced search.

I shoot left-handed and so am looking for a LH O/U 20 gauge shotgun. I know some make left hand models and also some have a neutral cast, just not sure what is out there or what is truly available.

Lastly if I can’t find the right LH OU, considering buying whatever I like best and having it modified or restocked. I live in the Boise, ID area and have heard of a couple guys who can do that although I have not contacted them to see if they are even available. But I will say, every person that I’ve read have had a shotgun fitted say they wish they had done it 10, 20, or 30 years ago so it seems there is a pretty strong case for that - although I’m not sure of the cost or if that is a road I want to go down.

I’m not looking for high-end, just nice.

Any info out there from some of you all who have been there?

Thanks in advance,
Bob

Last edited by Akbob5; 09/20/22.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Unless things have changed Beretta has lefty OU’s

Occasionally Winchester makes a run of lefty’s also.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
CZ makes a model or two for southpaws.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
CZ makes their Drake in a left hand version in 20 gauge. They also make their BobWhite G2 in a south paw version, but this is a SxS.

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-drake/

I was looking at these two options pretty hard about this time last year and ultimately chose a Browning Cynergy which is an O/U with a neutral cast. I really like this shotgun and don’t have any regrets about the purchase. I probably should get it fitted for me though.

Best of luck in your search. Keep us updated with what you end up with.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I picked up a lefty CZ a couple of years ago. Seems to be built well. Have never used it yet. Bought it as one of those “just in case they stopped making it” moments.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B2

J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
If buying a Beretta and can’t find a LH model, Cole Gunsmithing (large Beretta distributor in the US) have LH stock sets available. I bought a set from them as getting stock sets here is quite expensive. You can recover part of the cost by selling the set you replace.

The new stock set will need to be fitted by someone that knows what they’re doing.

Once you set up with a LH stock set you can get yourself fitted.

A
Akbob5 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Hi gents, thanks for all the replies so far, appreciate it!

Bob
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
MLF Online Content
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
If you don’t care which orientation you have to move the lever to unlock the action, then it’s simply a stock issue. Find a stock fitter, usually the high end shotgun shops will have them. I was fitted by Master gunsmith James Tucker near Medford Oregon. He does go to some shows and does custom fitting with a try gun which is totally adjustable. It is cheap to get done and highly recommend it.
Take the measurements and have your long guns adjusted for you. Meaning taking the buttstock of the shotgun to a stock bender who will use hot lamps, oils and clamps to slowly bend the stock for the right cast on and drop. If the stock has a cheek piece for a right hander, simply have it removed. The majority of my long guns have been bent and makes a night and day difference. No more kinking the head and neck to fit on a factory stock that is built for the average dimensioned person. No luck on tupperware stocks. If you need a stock bender, pm me and I’ll send you the contact info for mine.
On ebay, if you look under left hand stocks, sometimes you will get lucky and find a left hand stock for your gun. Simply exchange. Best of luck to you.

A
Akbob5 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by MLF
If you don’t care which orientation you have to move the lever to unlock the action, then it’s simply a stock issue. Find a stock fitter, usually the high end shotgun shops will have them. I was fitted by Master gunsmith James Tucker near Medford Oregon. He does go to some shows and does custom fitting with a try gun which is totally adjustable. It is cheap to get done and highly recommend it.
Take the measurements and have your long guns adjusted for you. Meaning taking the buttstock of the shotgun to a stock bender who will use hot lamps, oils and clamps to slowly bend the stock for the right cast on and drop. If the stock has a cheek piece for a right hander, simply have it removed. The majority of my long guns have been bent and makes a night and day difference. No more kinking the head and neck to fit on a factory stock that is built for the average dimensioned person. No luck on tupperware stocks. If you need a stock bender, pm me and I’ll send you the contact info for mine.
On ebay, if you look under left hand stocks, sometimes you will get lucky and find a left hand stock for your gun. Simply exchange. Best of luck to you.

That is some phenomenal information. I kinda knew the process, but not to that degree.

Thank you sir!

Bob
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
A couple other points on having a gun fitted.

A fitted gun is like a tailored suit. If you put on or lose 30 lbs you don’t expect the suit to fit you as well. The same applies to shotgun fit.

The other point is that there are two ways to fit a shotgun. One way the fitter eye balls the way the gun comes to your shoulder, how you position your head on the comb and where you’re sighting down the barrel. Based on his visual assessment he then makes adjustments accordingly.

A more complete method is to make the visual adjustments and then check how the adjustments made work by live firing at a range. Usually this process takes several attempts to fine tune the fit. A good fitter can generally work out what needs adjusting. Live firing should start at a pattern plate to determine where the shot pattern is printing relative to your sighting.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Good advice from the posts above. Joel Etchen Guns stocks left handed O/U shotguns from Beretta and Browning, possibly others as well.

As others mentioned, Cole gun has left stocks that have already been cut and blanks that require fitting/carving the stock. As you can imagine the latter gets more expensive.

Cole gun can also do the hot oil bending, but keep in mind they can only bend the cast at the heel. The toe typically has even more cast than the heel and this cannot be bent into a true left hand configuration. This is a subtle difference. There is also concern if the hot oil bending is permanent or may slowly go back to the original dimensions.

I’ve done all the above, and I’m lucky that the left hand Beretta stock with less drop fit me well. Cole gun or Joel Etchen Guns do a good job helping lefty’s

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have a 682 Sporting E with a cast on, left palm swell and a left trigger. I bought the furniture from Coles. Sold my old ones.

If I remember correctly I was trying to decide between this gun and a Browning 725. That gun came factory lefty and felt great coming to the shoulder. Really a tough decision, but no regrets.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
A
Akbob5 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Hi Gents,

Thought I would drop back and report out on my research for LGS and shotgun fitter. I spoke with a fella named Roger Eubanks, believe he was from Middleton, ID which is not far from Boise (so same general area). He gave rough estimate of $150 to fit me and ~$350 to bend and do adjustable stock - which he seemed to consider the easy button - just make it adjustable as long as you weren't enamored with present wood/condition which didn't seem like too bad of an option for what I was wanting and I felt fair and reasonable price.

He didn't strike me as any kind of snob, but rather someone who had a lot of experience. His recommendation for low-end O/U would be a Beretta or Browning. He considered Turkish made O/Us that sell generally for less than $1K to be disposable and said he would not recommend purchasing one. Of course then you could go up the prince ladder from there with Rizinni, etc. He did seem to regard Berettas (my evaluation of the conversation) as a good value for a working man's O/U which is really what I am looking for - hell, I would buy a Stevens if I thought it was what I needed (I generally believe in buying most things on the 80/20 scale meaning what you get in return for spending above the 80% mark has limited return).

With that, I will probably look for a true left-handed gun out of the gate, but still may visit him for a fitting - I'm just a hunter, but do want to know I will hit what I shoot at if I do my part. Happy to answer any questions you all might have.

Bob
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I purchased a Fabarms Elos N2 Allsport early last year and absolutely love it. This one is in 12 gauge. Looking on the Fabarms website I see their Elos D2 is in 20 gauge. They charge ~$175 for a left handed stock option, although I paid several hundred under retail for my new left handed one. I can provide the name of the dealer in Florida that I used.

Fabarm and Caesar Guerini are related (Toyota vs. Lexus).

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

559 members (1minute, 260Remguy, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 61 invisible), 2,140 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,287
Posts18,448,910
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.