Makes sense, thanks for the reply!

Regards,

Manny

BP-B2

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
here is the bullet I took that buck with the .50. It was cast with 1/20 and that hollow point did it no favor. It went through both shoulder blades and spine.
It ended up the size of a 1/2 dollar.

Attached Images
IMG_1208.JPG (25.09 KB, 184 downloads)
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You're most welcome Manny.

What a splat that must have been Kurt, never thought about HP's in BPCR's, do remember Bill was fond of the 458 cal. 360 grain Gould HP, said it knocked the crap out of coyotes and hen house raiding stray dogs.

Trump Won!
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I had Steve Brooks make a second mould with the HP that is identical to the .50 Creedmoor bullet mainly to reduce the weight but keep all dimensions the same.
I don't remember for sure what the HP took off for weight without casting some but I think it dropped the weight from 718 down to 685 gr. Not much difference but the HP tightened the groups a smidge.
If you want to save the meat loss from a bad hit I would not use the HP for hunting unless you cast them with #2 Lyman smile

The Big .50 is really not needed for Buffalo as much as I like this caliber. The .44-77 will work just fine. Just don't put the shot behind the ear if your a head hunter.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Version 2 by .com/photos/leadpot/]Kurt, on [bleep][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]IMG_3841 by .com/photos/leadpot/]Kurt, on [bleep][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]1C14E208-B772-4D90-8C91-57E7A5546E9E_1_201_a by .com/photos/leadpot/]Kurt, on [bleep]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL! Holy Crap Kurt, that 44 cal bullet cut a swath through that skull bone, and here i am worried about only 476 grains of bullet weight in my 44-77, it is a flat nosed paper patch that i cast with 16-1 alloy, leaves my little rifle at 1386 fps over 78gr OE 2F, i guess it indeed would work for Buffalo, i wanted at least 500 grains in my 44, looks like i'm worrying too much about nothing. Thanks. cool

Trump Won!
IC B2

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Gunner that hunting bullet is a 485 gr 1/20 Alloy. The bullet is of the original; Sharps profile.
When Bill saw the scull after the crows and Blue Jays stripped it of hide he said that will do. smile

Last edited by Kurt71; 08/27/22.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
LOL! Holy Crap Kurt, that 44 cal bullet cut a swath through that skull bone, and here i am worried about only 476 grains of bullet weight in my 44-77, it is a flat nosed paper patch that i cast with 16-1 alloy, leaves my little rifle at 1386 fps over 78gr OE 2F, i guess it indeed would work for Buffalo, i wanted at least 500 grains in my 44, looks like i'm worrying too much about nothing. Thanks. cool

“Only” 476 grains….. sheesh! grin

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The 44-77 left it's mark in history shooting a bullet 1.1 inches long ( 410 grs), not sure but I doubt those buffalo of the 1870's were any tuffer than the pen raised things folks shoot nowadays

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by beretzs

I'm not a pellet gun shooter laugh laugh

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Kurt71
Originally Posted by beretzs

I'm not a pellet gun shooter laugh laugh

I’d be wary of Gunner’s pellet rifle knowing him grin

Semper Fi
IC B3

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
My “eulogy” for Bill will be here soon. Here is a teaser. A big thank you to Jerry!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL Kurt and Beretzs, more lead is always a good thing.

That's really good stuff Pacecars, more than glad to hook you up for that one, it is indeed a one of a kind in many more ways than one, Congrats Sir!

Trump Won!
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Picked up the “Bill Bagwell” rifle today! It looks fantastic! It came with a couple surprises, 1 I kinda figured it would have and that is one of Bill’s copper penny front sights and the other was one of his “American Bladesmith Society Founding Member” business cards tucked under the foam in the rifle case. I will post some pics tomorrow I hope. A HUGE shoutout to Gunner500! I can’t thank you enough

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^cool^^^^^^^^^^^ Good stuff Pacecars, and you're most welcome Sir.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am late coming into this thread, as I don't get on the Fire as much as I used to, but I am sorry to hear of Bill's passing. I had the opportunity to learn from him, when he attended the Campfire Hog Hunt in Tennessee, and shared much wisdom with me. He gave me good advice regarding my .45-90 Shiloh #1.

He was, indeed, a rare one.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by jwp475

I spent some time on the phone with Mr. Bagwell not long before his passing, discussing paper patched hunting bullets for blackpowder .45-70 cartridges. I had asked him about how he used the full-buckhorn barrel sights at different ranges, and he invited me to call him back another evening to discuss. Sadly, I did not make the time to take him up on this before his passing.

I see that you have notes that appear to be distances and sight settings. Would you have the time sometime to explain the settings and sight pictures at various distances - I'm assuming you knew how Bill used them?

Thank you for your consideration!

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Bill and I spent a lot of time like others here on the phone picking each others brain laugh on different subjects and the conversation using the barrel sights came up very often with Bill and me because we both hunted with the barrel sights since we were Kids and just recently since I had eye damage loosing my center vision I'm forced to switching to a scope and even this is not working. I hunted Bison with a scope mounted .44-77 Sharps once and I just about tore it off fumbling around trying to load for a second follow up shot fumbling around the hammer and scope loading. laugh
Here is an old post https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?123634-buckhorn-sights look down on post #11 is a good illustration using the buckhorns and it is basically how I use them and also what Bill said also. It takes a lot of time behind the buttplate working out the hold at different ranges with your rifle but very long shots are workable using the barrel sights. Also the spread of the horns can be used for a range finder on known animal sizes.
With my sharps hunting rifle the balance point is right at the rear sight and I don't like it digging into my hand, heck it even cuts a hole through the glove in time laugh so I switched to the long Lawrence rear sight that has a reliable three fixed sight settings with the ladder down, ladder up below the slide and also the top of the slide you can set at a known setting also hold overs with the three known ranges holding over.
I had the opportunity to see if I could hit a full sized iron buffalo at 1585 yards using the Lawrence sight. yes it took a follow up shot ranging the rind but I settled my curiosity that the old hide hunters made those long shots I read in books as the heard moved on.
But like I said, you have to use them to learn how to use them.

Kurt

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Thank you, Kurt, much appreciated!

You're right - you have to spend a lot of time shooting to figure out any sight. I think I have a pretty good handle on iron barrel sights, at least as well as I can see them now, but I'm always looking to learn and have always wondered what tidbits Mr. Bagwell could have offered.

Quite a few years ago I was trying to come up with the best rear barrel sight for use in the woods. Most of our shots here are 150 yards or less, but in less-than-full daylight due to the tree cover. Tang peep sights are great for distance, but they do require decent light to work best. I ran across some pictures of the Freund More-Light sight, and spent quite a bit of time adapting the Sharps rear buckhorn sight into a "More-Light" sight.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/freund-more-light-rear-sight-sharps-479074496

Here's a thread I stared on the Shiloh board about my results: https://shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=114667#p114667

Unfortunately, the photos in that thread were lost in a long-ago web-based photo hosting closure, and the sight was loaned to a "friend" to try out, and it was never returned. I appear not to have saved any of the original photos (I've spent several hours today looking). This thread made me think about making another one, but like many folks that fool with these rifles, my eyesight is not as good as it used to be. So it's probably of use to me only as knowledge gained, but I'm always looking to learn something from folks who are willing to share. I'm hoping to pass this all on to interested grandkids as soon as they are able to absorb all this stuff.

Thank you again, take care,
Regan

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I finally managed to find a few photos on an old external drive:

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Don't mean to sidetrack the Sir Bagwell thread, but was pleased to find the photos and hoped the mention of the "Buckhorn More-Light" sight would make more sense with pictures.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
390 members (204guy, 280shooter, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1_deuce, 46 invisible), 2,266 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,723
Posts18,400,590
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.