Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Acquired a Like New one. Not a mark on it. Rounds on the left side of the magazine pop out of the magazine as bolt is worked forward. Rounds on right side feed fine. I thought the left side magazine feed lip needed to be moved in a little bit but this did not solve the issue. Rifle is now with the Gunsmith.

My questions for all the Winchester Experts: How difficult a job is this for an experienced gunsmith to remedy? Is this a magazine box feed lip edge problem or perhaps the magazine spring & follower too? I am hoping the gunsmith can get this fixed soon since I am looking forward to breaking it in this season. Thanks for your replies.

Last edited by GAGoober; 09/13/22.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This doesn't solve your problem, but I had a 280 xtr featherweight that would not feed the second shell in the magazine. The first shot went boom and the second round fed and extracted fine. The third one or second in the magazine would not go into the barrel. Every time.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Sounds like Win 70 XTR’s and other Model 70’s have quite a few magazine / feeding issues. Rounds not feeding properly or rounds ejecting from the magazine box as the bolt is worked open. Pretty much sux having a bolt action rifle that will not properly chamber the next round from the magazine or just ejects it from the magazine. I would think a Gunsmith could fix this.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Although I agree this is a PIA, I've had (and still have) several M70 XTRs and post-64 push feed rifles. These are some of the best m70s I've owned. The only one that ever had a feeding issue was one that started life as a 270 that I rebarreled to 7x57 with a Douglas barrel. Anyway, it simply needed the correct mag box. In it's donor form it was fine (fed and functioned as it should). If you're around more of these rifles I think you'll find the feeding issue you described to be rare. Those XTRs are generally excellent rifles and some of the better rifles Winchester produced post-64 until the early CRF Classics came out. I'm sure your gunsmith will get it sorted pretty easily.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GAGoober
Sounds like Win 70 XTR’s and other Model 70’s have quite a few magazine / feeding issues. Rounds not feeding properly or rounds ejecting from the magazine box as the bolt is worked open. Pretty much sux having a bolt action rifle that will not properly chamber the next round from the magazine or just ejects it from the magazine. I would think a Gunsmith could fix this.

From 2 posts, you garner that information? I have had many XTR's and other models 70's, from pre 64's to Classics and BACO's and none of them have had any feeding issues. I have heard Redneck try to walk people through this issue though, so it does happen from time to time. The one rifle I have been working on recently is a really nice XTR sporter 300WBY. Put it in its new stock, glass bedded it, installed a red pachmayr and will shoot it soon. That rifle is new to me, but it worked great in the original wood stock. No issues at all, even though it houses a big weatherby magnum cartridge. I keep checking to see if Redneck responds to the op on this one. I'm hoping the OP gets this thing figured out. Good luck with it!!!
Originally Posted by Technoman26
Although I agree this is a PIA, I've had (and still have) several M70 XTRs and post-64 push feed rifles. These are some of the best m70s I've owned. The only one that ever had a feeding issue was one that started life as a 270 that I rebarreled to 7x57 with a Douglas barrel. Anyway, it simply needed the correct mag box. In it's donor form it was fine (fed and functioned as it should). If you're around more of these rifles I think you'll find the feeding issue you described to be rare. Those XTRs are generally excellent rifles and some of the better rifles Winchester produced post-64 until the early CRF Classics came out. I'm sure your gunsmith will get it sorted pretty easily.

I agree. I really like the XTR's as well. I generally really like the fwt model 70's, but some of the XTR Sporters are pretty nice as well.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Acquired a Like New one. Not a mark on it. Rounds on the left side of the magazine pop out of the magazine as bolt is worked forward. Rounds on right side feed fine. I thought the left side magazine feed lip needed to be moved in a little bit but this did not solve the issue. Rifle is now with the Gunsmith.

My questions for all the Winchester Experts: How difficult a job is this for an experienced gunsmith to remedy? Is this a magazine box feed lip edge problem or perhaps the magazine spring & follower too? I am hoping the gunsmith can get this fixed soon since I am looking forward to breaking it in this season. Thanks for your replies.
It can be a bit tricky to solve, since it can be a result of several factors - all of which must work in harmony.. Magazine lips, magazine spring tension and follower angle relative to spring pressure all play into successful feeding..

I hope they guy you sent it to knows M70s well... Best wishes.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks for everyone’s responses. Like you guys I also love my XTR FWT’s. I have 4 of them ( 243, two 7x57’s & the recently acquired 257). I also have a 5Digit Stainless Classic 30/06 (Walnut FWT) that I love. The 243, 7mm Mausers & 06 have performed flawlessly. The 257 feeding problem along with 99guy’s info got me to thinking this could be a more common issue. Obviously Redneck’s reply that everything in the Mag box, spring and follower need to work in harmony is exactly right. Something is not quite in harmony and I am keeping my fingers crossed that the Gunsmith will sort it out. He is very experienced / respected and worked in a major gun shop down here for many years. Thanks for all the feedback. I am looking forward to getting it back soon so I can break it in on some of our “Rebel” Deer down here in GA. I will give an update on the rifle after I get it back. Thanks again.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for everyone’s responses. Like you guys I also love my XTR FWT’s. I have 4 of them ( 243, two 7x57’s & the recently acquired 257). I also have a 5Digit Stainless Classic 30/06 (Walnut FWT) that I love. The 243, 7mm Mausers & 06 have performed flawlessly. The 257 feeding problem along with 99guy’s info got me to thinking this could be a more common issue. Obviously Redneck’s reply that everything in the Mag box, spring and follower need to work in harmony is exactly right. Something is not quite in harmony and I am keeping my fingers crossed that the Gunsmith will sort it out. He is very experienced / respected and worked in a major gun shop down here for many years. Thanks for all the feedback. I am looking forward to getting it back soon so I can break it in on some of our “Rebel” Deer down here in GA. I will give an update on the rifle after I get it back. Thanks again.

Hopefully it is an easy fix and he has it running like a well oiled machine, like all the ones I've had experience with. I grew up using CRF, so I've bad mouthed the push feed rifles quite a bit back in my younger days. They never seemed to be quite as positive feeding as the CRF's. Until I tried the model 70 XTR's. Well, and Tikka's of course. They changed my mind. Otherwise I wouldn't be working on that big boomer 300wby XTR. I feel it is worth it though. Let us know how your rifle turns out. Thanks.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It will be worth whatever effort it takes to make that sweet little firearm work properly.,

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Here is a picture. It’s a beauty. I can’t wait to get it back so I can give it a little range time.

Attached Images
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That picture is tiny, but even given the size that stock appears to have beautiful grain.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks. It’s hard for me to post a detailed full page picture using my iPhone. Still haven’t figured out how to get full page pic. Anyway here is an expanded picture of the stock The pattern on it is exceptionally nice IMO.

Attached Images
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That picture is tiny, but even given the size that stock appears to have beautiful grain.

That one is nice. I still kick myself in the azz for not buying the one a couple months ago for $1,100.00. It was even nicer. Probably the nicest factory stick I've seen on a model 70. I should have bought that damn XTR FWT, but at $1,100.00, it wasn't a "money maker"...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks. It’s hard for me to post a detailed full page picture using my iPhone. Still haven’t figured out how to get full page pic. Anyway here is an expanded picture of the stock The pattern on it is exceptionally nice IMO.

Beautiful rifle. I hope your smith fixes it!!!

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

That one is nice. I still kick myself in the azz for not buying the one a couple months ago for $1,100.00. It was even nicer. Probably the nicest factory stick I've seen on a model 70. I should have bought that damn XTR FWT, but at $1,100.00, it wasn't a "money maker"...
I know what you mean! Back in the 80’s my Brother worked at Abercrombie & Fitch when they were owned by Oshman’s. A&F always seemed to get some of the best looking guns from the manufacturers and they received a few very nice XTR FWT 257’s & 7x57’s. We picked up a couple of those but made the big mistake of trading the 257. It was gorgeous. Like you, we kick ourselves every time that subject comes up. Anyway I was very fortunate to get this one and I ain’t gonna let this one get away. I just hope I can get the feeding problem resolved. I’m confident I can.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 99guy
This doesn't solve your problem, but I had a 280 xtr featherweight that would not feed the second shell in the magazine. The first shot went boom and the second round fed and extracted fine. The third one or second in the magazine would not go into the barrel. Every time.

Having said that, I am still a big fan of NH featherweight XTRs and have owned many and still own them. That is the only rifle that ever had an issue. I would not hesitate to buy another. Currently looking for a 25-06.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Having said that, I am still a big fan of NH featherweight XTRs and have owned many and still own them. That is the only rifle that ever had an issue. I would not hesitate to buy another. Currently looking for a 25-06.

A rifle like that would probably piss me off.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

A rifle like that would probably piss me off.

Well, it pizzed me off too, so I sold it. But I did tell the buyer the issue it had.

I bought another 280 xtr featherweight and love it.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
First try to slide the mag follower front or back on the spring and see if adjusting the spring pressure front to back changes anything. Stretch out the spring a bit too while you’re at it. Might help.

Then start looking at failed or worn parts. There’s only three functional parts to the mag system. The spring, the box and the follower. Hit up Numrich and replace each part one by one until your problem is solved.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
First try to slide the mag follower front or back on the spring and see if adjusting the spring pressure front to back changes anything. Stretch out the spring a bit too while you’re at it. Might help.

Then start looking at failed or worn parts. There’s only three functional parts to the mag system. The spring, the box and the follower. Hit up Numrich and replace each part one by one until your problem is solved.
With all due respect, there's no need for that. The original parts will work just fine - they just need some tweaking.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
95 members (160user, 10Glocks, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,675 guests, and 755 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,766
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.