Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
I ruck about 35lb while mowing the lawn - still use the old GR0 and taped up bricks. My thing is working in a workout while doing something that a person was going to do anyhow. Stacking 2 cord of wood with a ruck is way harder than I thought.

That makes a lot of sense. I should have been carrying even a light load while walking the dog!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by djb
I agree about not overtraining. Just keep working out then maybe ramp up a month prior. As I age I find typical cardio about worthless for real world packing. Much better to actually walk up and down hills or stairs than spend time on an elliptical or stair machine. Those little muscles in your feet and front of your calves just don't get worked out like actually walking on unlevel ground. Train like you hunt..

Yeah, side hilling and downhill under load are hard to replace with gym equipment.

I do use a stationary bike for longer low intensity fitness, like an active recovery day. I don't feel that I have the coordination for an elliptical!

Some of the step and cardio classes at my gym look pretty intense though. There are some older ladies that look out of shape, but man they seem to kick ass in those classes!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mtwarden
I hike and backpack year round (and strength train twice a week), but find I benefit from rucking some heavier weight prior to hunting season. The stresses of heavier weight requires the small accessory muscles, tendons and ligaments to be strengthened before hand.

After 20 years or so of messing around with different rucking regimes Ive settled on a routine starting eight weeks out from huntings season. I start with low weight (30 lbs). I ruck every other day (hiking w/o weight the other days) and vary the route- short steep stuff (sometimes multiple times), longer gradual incline stuff and some off trail/sidehilling stuff. I do this for two weeks and then bump the weight up to 45#- again every other day and varied routes as far as steepness and duration (I always shoot for one longer hike of 8-10 miles/week); another two weeks at 60 lbs- again varying distance/terrain; the last two weeks I start pulling the weight back- much like a taper period for a long distance race.

I never (anymore) use more than 60 lbs training- chance of injury goes up and never saw any real benefits from using more than 60 lbs.

Hauling meat loads of 80-90 lbs, while certainly not easy, have never been overly problematic.

Rucking weight I've found is important, but the more important elements are hiking (or running/biking) consistently, building the aerobic base; secondly, consistent, focused strength training.

That's good to hear, mtwarden. That confirms what I've heard/read from the trainers, and my goal.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kenneth
I overdid it 2 weekends ago, 75 lbs, Thought I’d put the majority of the weight on my waist by really cranking the waist belt,

By the 3.5 mile mark my hip flexors declared a strike, still slightly feel it.

Go easy on the weight and so-so on the waist belt, shoulders can/will carry the weight along with the waist belt.

And if going to the gym, avoid machines you haven’t been on in years,,,,example, Starmaster,,,(miserable SOB)….Again, over did the hip flexors,,

And those flexors will remind you for a while.

My buddy overdid it a few weeks ago with ruck, and got shin splints. I'm trying to get a good workout, but avoid any downtime.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I just got back from scouting sheep in a new spot. Climbed about 1000-1200 vertical through an alder jungle heavy with spongy tundra and tons of mosquitos. Broke out into less miserable ridgelines and on up to a peak at about 5050 feet. Maybe 7-8 miles total and 3000 vertical feet gained/lost. Didn't see a damn thing except a curious cow caribou.

It is obvious that I am not in the shape I was last year, but that'll change.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That looks like awesome country, T.

I'm getting ready for a scouting trip in the OR coast range for elk. Probably one or two nights. Test my legs and new gear. And figuring out routes through the dang jungle and loose soil.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I know that was just a barrage of replies, but hopefully not redundant or annoying. I just want to thank everyone who responded to the original post. I appreciate it, and maybe someone else will find the information and encouragement helpful.

Jason

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Yep. I can really feel it in hip flexors 50 lbs on longer hikes. That and the feet and ankle up and down steep terrain, side hilling and over dead falls. I incorporate a lot of stretching after workout. and hard foam roller on my hip flexors after workouts

Originally Posted by Kenneth
I hike and backpack year round (and strength train twice a week), but find I benefit from rucking some heavier weight prior to hunting season. The stresses of heavier weight requires the small accessory muscles, tendons and ligaments to be strengthened before hand.

After 20 years or so of messing around with different rucking regimes Ive settled on a routine starting eight weeks out from huntings season. I start with low weight (30 lbs). I ruck every other day (hiking w/o weight the other days) and vary the route- short steep stuff (sometimes multiple times), longer gradual incline stuff and some off trail/sidehilling stuff. I do this for two weeks and then bump the weight up to 45#- again every other day and varied routes as far as steepness and duration (I always shoot for one longer hike of 8-10 miles/week); another two weeks at 60 lbs- again varying distance/terrain; the last two weeks I start pulling the weight back- much like a taper period for a long distance race.

I never (anymore) use more than 60 lbs training- chance of injury goes up and never saw any real benefits from using more than 60 lbs.

Hauling meat loads of 80-90 lbs, while certainly not easy, have never been overly problematic.

Rucking weight I've found is important, but the more important elements are hiking (or running/biking) consistently, building the aerobic base; secondly, consistent, focused strength training.

Listen to this guy^^^^^^^^^

I agree with everything he said.

I overdid it 2 weekends ago, 75 lbs, Thought I’d put the majority of the weight on my waist by really cranking the waist belt,

By the 3.5 mile mark my hip flexors declared a strike, still slightly feel it.

Go easy on the weight and so-so on the waist belt, shoulders can/will carry the weight along with the waist belt.

And if going to the gym, avoid machines you haven’t been on in years,,,,example, Starmaster,,,(miserable SOB)….Again, over did the hip flexors,,

And those flexors will remind you for a while.

Last edited by ribka; 07/05/22.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Quick update - last weekend, I did a two night scouting trip at 7000+ feet with 30 pound pack. Other than the elevation (I live near sea level) it went well. And I used trail running shoes for the first time. Saw a bunch of bulls and bucks. It was a great time and chance to shakedown some new gear.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good deal! I've mostly switched to trail running shoes for most of my day hikes/light backpack trips.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

What do you do for weight training?

Thanks.

Frank

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by fshaw

What do you do for weight training?

Thanks.

Frank

I use a Wendler 5/3/1 format- squats/bench on one day and deadlifts/overhead press the other. Between sets a variety of core stuff/lunges/dips/pull-ups.

It’s nice as I can get in and out of the gym in about 45 minutes.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The gym that I go to has a treadmill looking thing that I have never seen anyone use. Most people use the motorized treadmills for running or walking, but this thing doesn't have a motor. Just mechanical resistance.

I tried it the other day setup to simulate pushing a sled across the ground. Probably not exactly like the real thing, but it was a good workout! I'm going to add it to my routine at the gym.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
As soon as the weather cools, I will start adding a pack into my daily routine. I used to use concrete blocks on a pack board, but now I will carry a bag or two of shot, in my day pack, depending upon my enthusiasm that morning . It takes dedication and its harder for me every year.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like many have said there is no substitute for hiking on uneven ground under load. One thing that I've added that seems to really help with my Cardio is HIIT training ( high intensity interval training) . It's basically CrossFit type workouts. I follow a few people on instagram that put up different routines and I really like how my body responds to it. My favorite on instagram is meltprogramming.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
mm,

I checked out the Meltprogramming, thanks. I definitely like the kettlebell swings and goblet squats.

J

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by battue
How are you fueling up?

Breakfast. 3 scrambled eggs

Snack. Around a quarter pound of chipped roast beaf.

Lunch. Rolled oats with fruit and milk....protein shake.

Snack: PB on a few Triscuts

Dinner: ????

Workout: Treadmill 30 minutes

Benchpress 4x10....Inclined press 4x10...Barbell curles 4x10...Barbell rows....4x10...Wheel rollouts...2x10...Box stepups...1x10.

Good question battue.

I had a NASM certified trainer and nutrition coach review my activities and diet. She said everything was good except I needed more carbs.

I also spoke to a registered dietician last week. She said, "Everyone's telling you to eat a lot of protein, right?" I said, "Yes, and I do that, but the NASM gal said I need more carbs." The dietician agreed.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I do not backpack hunt but am carrying a light weight on my morning hikes to emulate my day pack. The day pack is a little heavier but like mentioned above, I am old and want to save my knees as long as I can. I am not wearing myself out OVER TRAINING, I have done that before.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I've got a backpack hunt later this year, and am open to training advice. I've backpacked before, and hunted from basecamps, but backpack hunting is not something that I have much experience with.

From what I have heard/read, from supposedly qualified trainers, is that your cardio health should already be established throughout the year (hiking, biking, running, etc.) along with strength training (lifting weights). But supposedly neither replace weighted pack training, for backpack hunting. And not on a treadmill, or flat ground. Instead, carrying a weighted pack uphill and downhill. Especially downhill and uneven ground, since most treadmills and flat ground are not good at exercising the same muscles. Makes sense to me, but is that your opinion as well?

Right now, I do weighted pack training 2-3x per week, along with some body weight exercises. The other days, I do weight training and cardio. Plus easy walks with the dog on flat ground throughout the week.

I can definitely notice a difference with the weighted pack training. Just cardio and weight training didn't prepare me for the load on my shoulders and hips. That wasn't much of a surprise though.

I'm pretty happy with my progress, but am not pretending to be an expert. Any additional advice or pointers?

Thanks,

Jason

UPDATE - All the training paid off. Got my buck last week without injury or feeling overworked. The buck wasn't very big, but other than that I feel completely satisfied.

Only thing that I would have liked to incorporate would be more time at higher elevation. I live near sea level and hunted at 7000+/- ft. Fairly easy hike in and out though. About four miles from trailhead to camp.

I'm looking forward to the next one.

Thanks to all that provided suggestions!

Jason

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good deal! Pics?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
I used Jeff Nichols (performance first) rucking program this year. It almost killed me, but worked. Packing out two bulls in a day was easy due to my fitness level.

Sled drags, deadlift, weighted rucking, squats, pull-ups, etc were all huge.

It was 40 bucks well spent.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,616 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,626
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.