Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
TRexF16 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A friend has asked me to work over this rifle he's had for a long time. I have worked with a number of FN 98's but have not run into one just like this and hope the experts here can help narrow down its provenance.
So this is a custom rifle apparently made by the "Lazy J Gun Shop" which may or may not have been in Las Vegas NM (zip code 88701)
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Funny thing is the Lazy J wasn't proud enough of their work to show this, because it is hidden at the six o'clock position at the bottom of the barrel channel. Weird. They only marked the chambering ("30..06") above the wood line on the barrel.
Speaking of which, so is every factory marking on the action. The only thing that appears above the wood line is a 4-digit serial number on the left side of the receiver ring. All the Belgian proofs are under the wood line on the left of the action, and the "FN" and Made in Belgium" are under the wood line on the right side.
It has a very nice hinged floorplate with a release latch hinged in the front of the trigger guard bow, but it is pushed from outside the bow, not the inside like early Mark-X.
The root of the bolt handle has the typical FN commercial cartouche but I did not take a pic of it.
The trigger has no markings on it that I have found yet but is a type I've not encountered before. Slide saftey on the right and typical "streamlined" bolt shroud that goes with the side safety. Anybody recognize this?
Thanks for any help you can give. If I was a betting man I'd guess this might be an FN 98 version that was sold directly to builders as an action-only, but maybe y'all can confirm or add data.
Thanks,
Rex

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Looks like a normal commercial FN action. Trigger and safe are another story.

I've owned a couple with serial below 2000.

Assume it has no thumb slut in left action rail for loading clips ?

Here a typical FN Deluxe sporter with one of the variations in floorplate releases.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/947502866

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Trigger appears like those produced by SAKO when SAKO used FN made actions for the bolt action rifles SAKO sold.

TRexF16 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by UpThePole
Looks like a normal commercial FN action. Trigger and safe are another story.

I've owned a couple with serial below 2000.

Assume it has no thumb slut in left action rail for loading clips ?

Here a typical FN Deluxe sporter with one of the variations in floorplate releases.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/947502866
Thanks for that ink. Nice rifle BTW.
Yes, that floorplate (minus the engraving) and floorplate release latch is exactly what my friend's action has. But unlike the action in that ad, there are no markings save the 4-digit serial number above the stock wood line.
Thanks for that input.
Rex

TRexF16 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by carbon12
Trigger appears like those produced by SAKO when SAKO used FN made actions for the bolt action rifles SAKO sold.
BINGO! A little image searching revealed a lot. I found this exact trigger and floorplate combo on 50's vintage Sako FN 98's, complete with the total absence of markings on the receiver above the wood line. All markings below the wood line are identical to this rifle. Same for the floorplate - common on most of the Sako FNs I found.
One question though regards the serial number. All the Sako FN rifles I saw had the serial number on the left side of the barrel breech, just below the word "SAKO" and there is no s/n visible on the action. On this rifle, there is a 4-digit serial number stamped, somewhat unevenly, on the left of the receiver ring. The same number appears under the action on the flat behind the recoil lug in a different-sized stamping,.
I will be doing some more research on the Sako Collectors forum, but my guess is the FN receivers supplied to Sako had an FN s/n on the action flat, which Sako ignored, starting their FN models with 100,000 marked on the barrel. I am guessing this rifle was built from one of those Sakos, and the smith transferred the original FN s/n using the same stamps he used to mark the new caliber and mark his shop (Lazy J...) The s/n appears to be the same "font" as all the other marks the maker of this custom rifle applied.
I'll post back with what I learn.

Any more input will be much appreciated. Such as, were those Sako triggers available from somewhere else or did Sako make them in-house?
Did FN sell actions marked like this one to other than Sako?
Thanks,
Rex

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm thinking there are at least two members here from Vegas that may be able to shed some light on the Lazy J shop.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
TRexF16 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Note, that zip code (if that's what it is) is Las Vegas, New Mexico...
My best try at internet searches has yielded nothing on the Lazy J, anywhere.

Last edited by TRexF16; 09/17/22.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Don't believe that FN action is a Sako. They used the 300 Series actions that yet used the striker mounted/impinging more traditional mauser safety. The rifle here reflects a typically later trigger impinging tang-side safety. The bottom metal looks a bit strange but perhaps cameral angle. If it is steel, that places it most likely at the end of fifties FN production. If alloy, into the sixties.

FN sold actions, barreled actions and complete rifles. From the early sixties it was more popular among rifle makers to import the FN barreled actions to 'have their way with it'! smile I'd expect to see the bolt shroud striker mechanism of the latter 400 series "Supreme" action which did utilize the trigger safety orientation and such type trigger. Whether that trigger is original, I can't say. The above comment concerning the serialization of the Sako FN mausers is point on. The Sako of mine in the pix below is SN 105K. Sako did not make many of these. They intro'd their new L61 action in 1961. My lowest of that model SN is in the 11K range. Point being, differing SN range entirely!

It may be fun to speculate, but really toward little end unless concerned about indications of 'mix 'n match' components. The French Walnut stocks on the complete FN branded complete rifles of early-mid fifties became too expensive for rifles already priced the better part of a hundred dollars above the Win Model 70 of same era. The alloy cast bottom metal of the sixties breathed some new life into a cost saving species of the by then semi-classic iteration of the FN mauser. "Firearms Internatonal" marketed "Musketeer" branded rifles are typical of FN action or barreled action imported. Stocked and marked by the rifle maker firms here.

The nomenclature in your photo perhaps custom gunsmith, retailer or customer! Never heard of such and I don't know.
FN Sako Rifle & Action shots below.

Good luck with your project!
John

Attached Images
R90-6Ux.jpg (19.49 KB, 370 downloads)
R341-2U.jpg (20.93 KB, 370 downloads)
Last edited by iskra; 09/17/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I briefly owned a Sako High Power that had a side safety like that one. Clearly it was a factory job. Had the slide-off flootplate as well, IIRC.

Anyone setting themselves up as an expert on FNs has their work cut out for them, as the variations seem almost endless. For my part, I just want to enjoy them, not obsess over minutiae. I’ve faced some challenges arising from quirky scope-mounting from the good old days, but the most I’ve paid for one has been $600, except for that Sako and my Morton custom, about the current rate for disposable Tupperware®️ rifles it seems.

What fresh Hell is this?
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The earliest post WWII FN "sporters" were the exact military action type as under occupation. Thumb notch sidewall, stripper clip config and K98k bolt handles. All just well fitted 'as possible' and well finished. I have one such in SN 54K as I recall. The next series, seldom seen, were a "transition model" Full left receiver walls and 'remnants of the humped bridge stripper clip accoutrement. The bolt handle was the decades later pattern 'low swept' scope style also with the later FN scope accommodating mount. The SN range of the several I have all in the 60K+ range. They didn't make many and all were destined for Husqvarna generic Model 640 series applications. All had the generic "American style stock. What we consider the "modern FN sporting action intro'd in latter forties. I 'believe' that the US was the 'gorilla in the gun market place and the rifles were principally configured with American Style Stocks referenced in the Transitional model above. All these FN actions were basically the same, they varied most obviously in the matter of some D&T and that prevalence moving to about all the America destined imports from 50-51 era. The quality of those FN actions was high and the prices of their rifles 'higher'. My guestimate that with prices 30%-50% higher than the Model 70 Winchester, there wasn't a huge market. Another factor, that the FN genre never got together with Stoger, the firm of the inch thick plus catalogs and a number of exocit rifles over the years. I believe 'if' they had, they would likely have sold better.
So from those early fifties era they were in the US market. The French Walnut stocks were expensive wood. That said, the stocks were 'overdone American' as prevalent style but bit oversized such as forarms and 'bit clunky'. Perhaps just my perspective. They were also offered with the Armstrong receiver "dual range" sight. If the Lyman 48, a great combo, the Armstrong I believe never catching on.

A great irony, somehow both FN And Husqvarna rifles, same action, as not really competing. The 'Husky' breed not as finely finished as the somehow secret, FN throughout but just not the aura. By about '54 or so, FN backing off to some extent. They'd been turning out small orders of their action in yet the older military trim for small contracts. The largest one perhaps their own nation of Belgium in early fifties. Those quality military products with the humor of "black paint" finish, some gray, as a 'say what'. Found nowadays if original lwith such finish "a-pealing", Pun intended. For the substantial FN arms factory moving largely to 'go with the money' in mainstream semi/full auto military products. I know little about these, but the money was there. FN yet movign to provide sporting actions, of course defined by solid sidewall and low scope bolt/safety lever. Firearms International a prevalent marketer for sporting builds. Such names as Paul Jaeger and Hunters Lodge - names to recollection making high quality sporters from these new commercial actions. But too a lot of things happening in Europe. Labor costs increasing dramatically and the fledgling European Iron & Coal Union, seeds of the European Union, changing FN economics.
The FN sporting mauser actions actually hanging on into the Sixties. In latter fifties, a significant action change under herald of "new & improved. The traditional action termed the Model 300 and the N&I model the 400 "Supreme" - also other like terms used by wholesalers, etc. The fundamental difference as the striker mechanism altered to a sleek less multi-function unit. The striker impinging safety of classic mauser 98 design, yielding to a sliding tang proximate lever as "trigger impinging". The striker iteraton a more positive and simple unit. The combo of trigger affecting as adjustable trigger, moving to compete with other American aftermarket units. So for some period the 300 and 400 actions both available. By perhaps early sixties the 300 largely gone and what remained as 'in pipeline' of residual wholesaler stocks, etc. Oh yes, the 400 series as with a small variety of hinged floorplates - at last. FN not settling on one style as another change yet to come to the 400 series. Alloy bottom metal! To me one of the scourages of many a fine rifle. Aesthetic problems and some few "material strength" issues though the latter not common.

The FN 400 action chugged along as showing up in a large variety of rifles with its alloy bilge! The action itself did remain 'quality' and somehow FN had found a sweet spot in marketing it alone. One big advantage as French Walnut was getting quite pricey! American production line practices 'perhaps' less employed by FN, provided opportunity to concentrate on their improved 400 mauser actions as witout the distractions of barreling up and as noted 'stocking'. There was some sort of harmony continuing throught even the seventies, though I believe from the late sixties, probably far more 'in stock'. I doubt FN was manufacturing any even substantially into the seventies. I'm couching my words here, as trying to rcall off the top of my head. Probably such as the Firearms International marketed "Musketeer" rifle at a quite decent price point in early sixties, reflective of the sweet spot balance between FN 400 actions and a system that worked for profitably marketing its American rifle incorporated action.

All good things... I 'personally' believe the seventies era in America was something of a hiatus. A pause as old line rifle makers either regrouped or fell away to 'memories'. Viet Nam war over and America regrouping. There was also not exactly a 'new upstart' by any means, but Zastava in Serbia moving from diminishing military 98 contracts as new and refurbishing of such rifles, moved to sporting 98 actions. In a super victory of low labor costs and a fully established and functonal mauser rifle factory, it nudged and FN, yielded the floor. The rest is history.

The net, net, FN did make some great commercial mausers. Husqvarna took those 300 series genre actons and quietly provided a bargain basement quality product. Not a member of the EU or even today. But the Husqvarna FN base, like a Bently auto without the two hundred coats of hand rubbed whatever finish!

I've left stuff out because this is already a gargantuan work and wondering if I'll be banned! smile Maybe just quietly deleting my Post. Hope deconfuses more than further confusing!
UNEDITED!
Best!
JOhn

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've got a Sako 375 Mag on an FN. I'll have to dig it out. It is actually a 375 Weatherby.

Made in Finland on right side barrel
105k serial range left side
mil shroud with beuhler safety
no trigger safety
extended button drop out floorplate.
no thumb cut
D&T
FN stock (now in a Hogue)

Last edited by richj; 09/20/22.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a few rifles on FN actions, mostly J.C. Higgins M50s that were planned to be rebarreled and made into customs. One was gifted to me by a late friend and it's been well used. It now sits in a Butler Creek stock, the origin custom stock being broken in a bad fall. I should put it in a proper stock similar toe the custom stock my friend made.
I also have a couple of commercial FNs and one Husqvarna M640 that really needs to be put in a proper stock and not the cobbled one I used to test fire the rifle. Thanks to circumstances that test firing is yet to be done.
One commercial FN I got has a thin 24" soda straw barrel. Action looks like a 400 but may be a supreme, I just don't know. I picked it up in 1973 for $75.00.Don't know how I fell into that deal but it was new in the box and unfired. It's one accurate rifle for three shots, then that slim barrel starts to walk. Interesting thing s the factory stock is not walnut but some kind of light weight wood. Maybe birch or beech but definitely not walnut. Rollover cheek piece and definitely a Weatherby style influence for sure. Estimate weight, 6.5 pounds without scope and 7.5 pounds with scope. When I look at that stock, I cannot help but think of the word from that immortal Jack O'Connor. "That stock is so ugly it would abort a lady crocodile." I think it truly would.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your action is marked in the same places as my son's rifle that has been in the family since my dad ordered it from Montgomery Wards. Also, the floor plate release is exactly the same as yours. The trigger is also the same. Dad bought it new for $78.00 in the mid 50's from the catalog.
It also came with open sights and a 4x scope with a rail on the bottom that was clamped to the bases which were removable.
I think there were other scopes on the market with bottom rail at that time!
That rifle is still in use and shoots very good! I think the stamp on the barrel is Ejn-? & of course marked Montgomery Wards.

One thing I did discover that the rifling is a micro groove type.

Another rifle I am familiar with is the National Arms Mauser that has he same action!

I reblued several Sako's that had the same trigger.

I still have the original stock----nothing fancy but it is walnut! Also it was a hinged floor plate!

Last edited by kennymauser; 09/20/22.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Rich, 'semi-small' world! In 1956, an underage teen I bought such a Sako FN barreled action as walk-in at Weatherby's store in Southgate, CA. It was a 300 H&H and I had Weatherby folks rechamber to 300 WMag. All this paid for by my Dad in midwest as I was summer babysitter for my single mom older Sis in Callifornia. Dad also had it shipped to Bishop in Warsaw Mo where he arranged for the stocking. The rifle package as gift to me for assisting Sis! Below the results. Now completely dated, but yet that stock , a thing of beauty. It also arrived with notation of "wood upgrade no charge, to expedite completion. Even he was surprised as receiving it for me. Maybe pix later today.

///

PJ, those sears Model 50 FN mauser rifles were the bargain of the early fifties era. Some from FN as barreled actions, others as simply actions and as I recall, maybe High Standard installing chrome lined barrels. Wish I could ecall better. They remained 'sleepers' on the used market for decades afterward. There is one significant 'blip'. A large number utilized a two piece trigger assembly with the lower half, pinned to the bottom metal Never understood why. The Wards version, 'I believe' didn't suffer such weirdness. Plain Jane buu D&T all and available with such as Sears JC Higgins branded scopes in package. You've presented some additional information but not to go there as getting wrapped around the axle! smile

///

Kenny your information largely describes the same bargain FN rifles from Wards. I am confused by "microgroove rifling. Never heard of that configuration "IF" original. There were simply all sorts of mauser rifles springing from those FN actions as sold separately. From one-few off customs to wider "limited production" to full scale models from all sorts of makers capable of turning out a few hundred rifles 'if' the market there.

Those FN mansers had their day and their way in the marketplace. Finally as turning to other endeavors. I believe likely Browning with the last significant models of the breed and those subject to rhe horrid "salt stock" hazard effect. If a Browning FN of latter sixties production era, grave danger portanding ruined rifles consequent to metal corrosion.

///

Last clarification. The Model 300 action as it came to be known of original fifties era FN model. The 400 action aka "Supreme" the so-called improved trigger tang side lever safety model My personal preference for that original pattern 300 Series action.

And to alll, a good night! smile
Best!
John

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As Kenny said, Monkey Wards and National Arms? I think it was National Arms but seem to recall mine might be stamped Nato used a barrel with rifling similar to that used by Marlin. MicroGroove was what they called it. More lands and grooves and shallower lands. This makes sense since Marlin briefly offered their model 455 based on an FN Mauser action.

All this discussion about "original" FN Mauser rifles is somewhat pointless since FN sold countless actions to the trade which were used for the basis of "custom" rifles. None of these conform to the FN standards in terms of nomenclature.

Last edited by z1r; 09/21/22.
TRexF16 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks to all who have replied so far. The experts over at the Sako Collectors forum pretty much shot down my theory that it might have been a Sako that was harvested by the custom maker to build this rifle.
I have learned that Sako sold this model of trigger to FN, for equipping on some of the actions that FN sold, beginning in 1957. So if it was just sold as an action by FN, then that places 1957 as the low end of the date range. That is consistent with the hinged floorplate, distinct from the military style "push the button and slide it backward" of the earlier commercial FN's such as those on the JC Higgins M50's, Western Fields, etc.
I lived in Lost Wages, NV from 1990 to 1996 and was scooping up those FNs in the local pawn shops like nobody's business.
But I have never found one with NO markings above the wood line (save for a Herter's XK-3, but I think those actions were Yugo, not Belgian, especially since it's an M48 length, but otherwise full commercial with hinged floorplate).

Please keep the discussion and opinions coming! Thanks for your inputs.
Rex

Last edited by TRexF16; 09/22/22.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The M48 shorter length actions were Zastava of Serbia, military iteration under earlier"Peoples" factory name. Those days of latter twentieth century Herters WAS importing them commercially.
Their Roots of shorter length from Roumanian Model 24 actions first produced in Belgium and then with production equipment purchased from FN, their own Roumanian produced for their army. All this series were the 'bit' shorter action and FN continued to market such action length internationally as optional military contract optional.
Z, "Original FN mausers" as I use the term, reflect complete 'out the FN factory door' rifles marketed by FN as their own products. "FN original actions are more generic in the sense you express of going into all manner of branded rifles. Some FN actions without demarcation above the wood line as notably above! My belief a sufficient large order from some riflemaker which didn't want FN markings, prhaps to substitute their own, as reflecting the covert markings. I have a postwar FN military carbine with a beautiful FN receiver ring logo. The point that FN sometimes used convenient "off the shelf" components for certain runs within respective military or commercial genres.
Best!
John

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John, your "Original F Mauser" commentary is meaningless when the OP's rifle is clearly not an "Original".

The Zastava produced Intermediate Commercial actions often used by Heym. Also used in Monkey Wards produced rifles as were their Std Length actions. The Intermediate Commercials lacked the charge hump and thumbcut. They did use military bottom metal converted to hinged.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here's your "transitional" FN Commercial:

TRexF16 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by z1r
John, your "Original F Mauser" commentary is meaningless when the OP's rifle is clearly not an "Original".

The Zastava produced Intermediate Commercial actions often used by Heym. Also used in Monkey Wards produced rifles as were their Std Length actions. The Intermediate Commercials lacked the charge hump and thumbcut. They did use military bottom metal converted to hinged.

If that top action has about a 3.25" or so magazine, that is exactly like the one on my Herter's XK3, to include the location of the serial number and the floorplate latch and the left-side-rotating scope-clearing safety. Can you tell us more about that particular action?
Thanks,
Rex

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rex,

Yes, that top action is an intermediate length action. Zastava supplied some of these to Heym and others including Monkey Wards. The action was used on a .30-06 and the front of the magazine box was simply cut at the sides and bent forward to accommodate the longer round. I believe these were used only for a short time by simply eliminating the thumbcut and charger hump from the M48 action and were only used for a short time until the tooling for the standard length FN clone was up and running.

I can't tell you how many of these action have scope mounting issues. The rear bridge contour is incorrect and needs to be recontoured for a base to sit correctly. Both of these had bridges that were higher on the left side causing the base to tilt to the right (as viewed from behind).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
148 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 12 invisible), 1,456 guests, and 829 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,904
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.