Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Mom got us one[miniature] when I was in 2nd grade.

Kept her slim & trim.

She was still climbing stairs and chasing squirrels 17 years later up until the day she passed.

She was scared of nothing!

FJB & FJT
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We've had five in our family, the two oldest, no longer with us, both went 16+ years. My son has a male now and I have two females. My oldest female, now six, spent her 2nd birthday in Alaska on a six week hiking tour. She has been on more flights than many people I know, mostly sleeping on a lap under a blanket during flight. Has flown to Alaska, Montana and most recently Colorado. We mostly vacation by car now since we have two and flying is more difficult with them since they are not service animals. We hiked over 120 miles in Colorado over three weeks and she was there every step of the way. Dachs (badger) Hund (dog) are fearless for their size, not always to their benefit. I like most all dogs in general but I do agree that the choice of a dog must fit your lifestyle. Big, working dogs need more space, Dachshunds require little space and are easy to transport, they don't take up much room. They are great companions with lots of personality and will hunt/track if you will let them.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Raeford
miniature?

That's because they don' exist in nature.

Last edited by OldHat; 09/21/22.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
We had several of them growing up. We had zero snakes on our farm because of them. Our oldest was bitten by copperheads countless times. He'd swell up a bit and be fine in a few days. I saw him kill a a copperhead in the barn. He grabbed it and shook it, and in the blink of an eye, the snake was in three pieces. They also helped us know where the squirrels were in the orchard and on the creek. Awesome dogs!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
In wolf country they call them weiner dogs for a reason.

IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
When I was a kid our neighbors’ dachshund chased squirrels all the time. One day he caught one and it ripped a 1-1 1/2” gash in one of his ears. Bleeding like you wouldn’t believe 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S

Dachshund vs Wild Boar

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
The city (Denver) killed our first one at 11. I thought for sure, a predator would get him up here.

Out for a leashed walk, he snatched and gobbled something under a bush beside the sidewalk before I could stop him. I think it was moldy cheese, as there is a fungus that will give dogs liver/kidney failure, which was what he died from a month later, on New Year's eve. He was sick within days of getting home - I have no idea of the vet bill. Never asked.

We had him in a soft kennel under the seat in front of me on the way home, which he didn't like, and yipped a couple times. Apparently one of the zippers was open enough for him to get his nose in.

Shortly after, takeoff, on the climb thru 10K, the lady in front of me turned and demanded, "Do you have a dog back there?"

(Oh, sheit, here it comes....", I thought)

"Uh, yeah, we do"

"Well, he's up here begging a piece of my hamburger. Thank goodness! I thought Alaska Airlines had rats."

The flight attendant let him ride in our laps to Anchorage.

Last edited by las; 09/21/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by OldHat
Originally Posted by Raeford
miniature?
^^Is this confusing?

That's because they don' exist in nature.
There also aren't many creatures[in nature] that willingly go down badger holes.

FJB & FJT
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Had a Minnie when I was 16, came running home one day and ran under the bed and died, turned out he had got in a fight with a much bigger dog, a friend saw it, and that dog crushed his windpipe. I killed the other dog a few days later with my Sheridan. had one when I was 5 the milkman ran over.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Wife and I got a black & tan mini[Bruno] about 20 years ago.

Neighbor had 2 Rotties, they caught/killed a rabbit.
Bruno decided that he should have it.
Bruno died.

FJB & FJT
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Otto is our bud, he goes to school everyday to drop off and then pick up the boy. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
And like our last one, he sleeps on his back and snores. My wife hates it because she says he’s not cute sleeping with his balls hanging out, I think it’s hilarious. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by svenelvis

Dachshund vs Wild Boar

That was a legit hold my beer and watch this moment. LOL That dog got balls!!!

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We had a mini, female, longhaired, Dapple colored named Derby.
We got her for our daughter and Derby lived 17 years. She was the best! From day one, I thought I should get her a cape! She thought she was a super hero! If we went out of town all our friends called and asked if they could keep Derby for the week or 2! She was a great dog.
We have a glass door leading to the deck in the back of the house. The Squirrels used to come to the door and wait for her to come chase them! It took her 2-3 years to learn she couldn't climb trees, but she tried!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I never knew that it was spelled vew! and all these years I've been spelling it wrong... VIEW....

gee its a wonder I passed thru high school at all...

That or the OP has been getting spelling lessons thru Schtick....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BLG
Originally Posted by svenelvis

Dachshund vs Wild Boar

That was a legit hold my beer and watch this moment. LOL That dog got balls!!!

Clyde

HAD balls.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Seafire
I never knew that it was spelled vew! and all these years I've been spelling it wrong... VIEW....

gee its a wonder I passed thru high school at all...

That or the OP has been getting spelling lessons thru Schtick....

Picky, picky, picky!

Yer rite tho-my stutter fingers can't spell sometimes. And my spell check/auto spell sucks too. So does my proff reading.

When it's cold outside, there's nothing like a warm blanket atop a heating pad. Honey puts up with a lot from her favorite chew toy.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Many years ago we had two miniature reds, a mother and daughter. We once took the kids and 2 dogs camping and we stopped at a remote spot for a pee break. Wasn't until we were back in camp before we realized we'd left Penny back in the forest. Man, I'm hightailing back to that spot just knowing she'd be gone never to be seen again. Lo and behold, there she was shivering and crying dog tears.

Never saw a dog cry before. She cried again when we had to put her down.

Good girl, Penny.

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Thought we lost Chako a couple days ago. Motor failure on the river caused an overnight camp out. While we were setting up the tent, he disappeared down the streamside spruce band (fires burned the hell out of the river corridor this summer, so only a 50 foot or so strip of spruce along the banks of the river remain- the valley is plum burned out for 15 miles- but no cabins including ours were lost).

Fresh bear and wolf tracks on the bars. Honey pointed "something" a couple times while we were setting up, but we were negligent in watching the little one and keeping him close.

We called and calledfor 20 minutes or so, and Chako never came, which he always (almost) does. I was sure a bear (sneaky bastids!) got him, but we went looking. A quarter mile away we found him - he had a spruce grouse trapped up in a tree.

He knew he did bad... As soon as we got close, he came to us with his ears down and tail between his legs. Probably the wife's tears.....

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I lost Otto last spring. We were crappie fishing and we went chasing some pigs in the next valley over and he was with me and then gone, like a puff of smoke. Me and half the town walked the whole mile section a dozen times looking for him over the next couple days and couldn’t turn him up. Finally gave up on him after the 4th day figuring a coyote got him. A good friend found the little guy the next day, holed up in an old barn on a place he farms about a half mile from where I lost him. His wife had been over there and searched all the barns and sheds 2 or three times before.

He was skinny and covered in ticks, had his ear split by what I believe was a feral barn cat, but none worse for the wear and happy to be home. I thought he was going to wag his tail out of the socket while my wife was holding him and bawling like a big baby.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,908 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,359
Posts18,468,939
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.