Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Originally Posted by local_dirt
My brother has done several old Chebby pickup ground up restorations.

Here's one in progress that he built for his son.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's a great build.

He's up in TN now. Sold his place in Clearwater, FL with a big detached garage. He's renting right now until he can find a place with a satisfactory set up for his hobby. Chomping at the bit to start building something again.

He likes to restore other stuff, too.

Last edited by local_dirt; 09/21/22.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm typically not much of a truck guy, but Damn! thats pretty cool!
Love the wheels!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My '68 SWB work in progress. It needs the brakes converted to disc. It has power drums brakes. I'd love to score a original buddy bucket seat for it.

1911, that's a great truck. My brother had the same truck for years. Painted it the same color! smile

Last edited by local_dirt; 09/21/22.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My '68 SWB work in progress. It needs the brakes converted to disc. It has power drums brakes. I'd love to score a original buddy bucket seat for it.

Very nice! Yours reminds me of what mine used to look like - that's the original color of mine but a previous owner changed it (unfortuantely). I've considered changing mine back to green...

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
That's a sharp Trail 70 LD!
Several other kids had one in the neighborhood back in the day[I used to scorch their azzes on my XR75 grin ]
But still liked the whole Trail series.

FJB & FJT
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Higginez
I usually like a more stock look to these but this one looked pretty bitchin.

Great paint job too.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Higg, that's a very clean looking build. I hadn't looked at the pictures that closely when I started on this thread. Your Dad likes things tight.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The pic in the OPs first post is a 72 if I'm not mistaken. I had a 72 3/4 ton 4x4 for a while. Did all the body work on it to get it straightened out and cleaned it up. It was a rust free truck when I got it, even though it had been a farm truck for part of its life. Painted it the original medium blue when single stage paint was still available. Interior was like new when I got it . Even replaced the rubber floor mats when you could go down to the dealer and pick them up for t $75 and just plop them in along with new pads. Went through all the mechanicals and rebuilt the 350 that was in it. The 400 Turbo was in great shape so just cleaned it up and put it back in with the engine. It was a great truck but it rode like a dump truck and about rattled my fillings out when I drove it. And then we started having kids and there was no way we could afford a second vehicle at the time and it wasn't a family rig so it went down the road. The young man who bought it was a happy camper to get it and I used to see it driving around once in a while- he kept it pretty well shined up like I did.

My brother had one in the same year that he bought new and he kept it looking new the entire time he owned it, which was about 40 years.

I love those body styles, but I have to admit I like the new trucks much better for the amenities and the great ride they afford. I also like the 47-54 Chev trucks for their style and one day soon I plan to buy one just to restomod it...

Last edited by Sheister; 09/21/22.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGray

Very nice! Yours reminds me of what mine used to look like - that's the original color of mine but a previous owner changed it (unfortuantely). I've considered changing mine back to green...

Boy, 4x4 SWB are rare. Yours appears in fantastic shape
My brother has our old '69 3/4 ton 4x4 that would be great if redone.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Raeford
That's a sharp Trail 70 LD!
Several other kids had one in the neighborhood back in the day[I used to scorch their azzes on my XR75 grin ]
But still liked the whole Trail series.

Raef, you'd love this one. He's bought a bunch of high performance parts and done all kinds of things to the motor. Hilarious. smile

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
The old interior. LOL

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Had a 69 GMC 1/2 ton 2 bolt 350 with the 350 turbohydro tranny. Box had a metal floor and the rear had leaf springs .was gold and white with the lower body line trim, roof was white like below the trim line
Had the gas tank in the cab behind the seat, hated that. The Quadrajet took a crap. Replaced it with a new Holly spread bore. The left exhaust manifold cracked and broke, replaced it with Doug Thorley street tube headers with dual exhaust into Thrush glass packs it sounded nice. Had to refabricate a tie down on the engine so the torque wouldn't bust the motor mount again . It would also burn the plug wires so had to make some heat shields for them. They had an (85 or 100mph speedo) don't remember now, 0 at 7:00 and 85 at 5: 00 at 6:00 there was a peg you couldn't see thru the dash but the needle bounced off it when on a top end run . I was 19 and there were somethings a young guy had to do.
..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Higginez
The old interior. LOL

Yikes! smile

In 1969 I bought my first brand new truck--a GMC Longhorn. These had an 8-1/2' bed and were built to carry a 9' camper. It had the 396 cu in V-8 engine.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by gunzo
Tis only money these days, but I do have a soft spot for 68-72 Chevy pickups.

just for small reasons.. I like the 67s, 68s and 69s the best...4 WD, 3/4 ton ( C 20), 4 speed manual, 396 motor...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Back to working on the seat for this one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is a very good looking truck. On the buddy buckets - my experience with those has not been very comfortable.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The truck in the OP is going to be very special given the craftsmanship on the interior and the aftermarket revisions. The customized shifter console is a nice modernization for a two passenger cab and, although old Chev purists would cringe about the cut dash panel, the screen insertion should be a nice modern touch.

Looks like it has an original AC dash panel, but related controls/center outlet are gone. Probably a modern aftermarket AC/heater setup - which would be much more efficient/effective.

It will be interesting to see what the redone interior door panels are like.

Without seeing its original configuration and trim (and front brake setup), it is almost impossible to say which year it was titled because various year-specific components are easily switched among the 69 to 72 pickups.

But, it looks like a 1/2 ton and if it has coil springs in the rear I would pass.

Thanks for this OP.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I didn't get down and look to see if it had leafs or springs.

Gas tank is in the rear and there is a filler in the bed if I remember right.

Dad made the guy come pick up the truck to get a few things out of his way (wiring).

Local hot rod shop doing this one and they do pretty impressive work.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (2500HD, 204guy, 160user, 12344mag, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,635
Posts18,455,246
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.