Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Good afternoon. Looking to purchase my first trail camera with cell service. I have AT&T for a carrier. Does anybody have any advice on what to purchase?
Right now I run 3 browning cameras and have been very happy with them.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Following this thread.

I’d like to try a cellular camera.

In the past i used a bunch of non-cell browning cameras.

Then moved to the Muddy brand.

The cheap $30 cameras. Been happy with those.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I got a spy point for Xmas 2 yrs ago Verizon version I use the free 100 pics a month works fine just watch where you put it sun light and shadows and movie star does eat up 100 free pics real quick

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
During serious deer season I put it on main trails and scrapes sample of a scrape from last fall [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by earlybrd; 09/23/22.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Using a spypoint now (Verizon though) but wouldn’t buy another to be honest. I’m going to switch to Bushnell or tactacam.

IC B2

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Been running SPYPOINTs link micros and tactacams for several years. I love the fact that SPYPOINT gives you 100 free pics per month. For most of my cams that is fine. The tactacams night pics are better but the SPYPOINT has better day pics. Both allow for HD pics to be downloaded. I have had a couple of the SPYPOINTs stop connecting to the cell service, almost 25% after 2-3 seasons. Haven’t checked with SPYPOINT yet as I have been using them as regular cameras (pulling sd card to check pics).

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Spypoint will most likely send you a new camera if they won’t reset by there instructions.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have about a dozen Browning cameras and they have been great. Bough two Tactacam cellulars this year and they also are great.

I'm probably going to sell some of the Browning at some point to buy more cellular. Just depends on where you are hunting and what kind of disturbance you can get away with.. also, for a tract that is over an hour away - no brainer - get the cellular.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Bushnell that I have been happy with. The sensitivity, as set from the factory, seems to be perfect. I have never ended up with dozens of pictures of a small branch blowing in the breeze like I got with some of my older cameras.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I don’t have any cell cams. We don’t have good service where we hunt. I like Brownings pics but the damn battery box keeps falling out on one of mine. I think I have 3 brownings, 1 primos and 1 tacticam. That’s new, so the jury is out on the tacticam

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’m too lazy to fool with trail cameras

RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jmdriver
Spypoint will most likely send you a new camera if they won’t reset by there instructions.

Well, I hope your luck with Spypoint service is better than mine. We run several cell cameras with 7 of them being Spypoint. Right now only one of the Spypoint is putting anything out consistently.

Try to call support and expect well over an hour of wait time. Try the chat support and it is worse. You can leave a call back number, which I did yesterday, still waiting on that call back. "IF" you do talk to them expect them to tell you to "reformat" the SD Card - that is their standard answer (again if you are able to talk to them). They also want you to have the camera in hand when calling - OK but isn't the whole point of having it to leave it on the property to take pictures? Oh, and expect to update versions pretty often too.

FYI...I finally talked to someone when I chose the option to buy something. They answered immediately. Said they would send me an email with the latest fix - still haven't received that email either. We are going to Tacticam exclusively.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by RL
Originally Posted by jmdriver

Well, I hope your luck with Spypoint service is better than mine. We run several cell cameras with 7 of them being Spypoint. Right now only one of the Spypoint is putting anything out consistently.

Try to call support and expect well over an hour of wait time. Try the chat support and it is worse. You can leave a call back number, which I did yesterday, still waiting on that call back. "IF" you do talk to them expect them to tell you to "reformat" the SD Card - that is their standard answer (again if you are able to talk to them). They also want you to have the camera in hand when calling - OK but isn't the whole point of having it to leave it on the property to take pictures? Oh, and expect to update versions pretty often too.

FYI...I finally talked to someone when I chose the option to buy something. They answered immediately. Said they would send me an email with the latest fix - still haven't received that email either. We are going to Tacticam exclusively.

Read my post above the one you quoted. While they did replace the camera I had go bad it took some work on my end. Did a lot of google searches on fixes and told them I did all those “fixes” before I called support. Soon as I received the new camera I sold it. I have one in service now and will use it until it breaks or a bear walks off with it. But I won’t buy another one. Was getting 5-10 pictures a week when I paid the $15/month. Wouldn’t you know the first time I did the $5 plan I got all 250 pictures within the first 2 days.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of ur hunting club members has a gun shop and he sells Tactacam cellular trail cameras. We have lousy cell service at our camp but the guys who are using them say they work well, even in spots where a cell phone doesn't work.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I would go with a browning. They always have good signal even where the service is bad. I run 6 of them. I’ve never had any issues with them. They offer good plans also. They just released a new mobile one about 2-3 months ago. I believe it’s around $130. Their Mobile app is very user friendly as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hear the best reviews in my area on Tacticam models. I couldn't find any last fall (sold out everywhere) so I bought a couple of Muddy cell cams (powered by Spypoint). They've been pretty good, except I have a lot of pockets on my property where there are no bars on your cell phone (AT&T), so the cameras don't want to work there either. I have to be picky about locations for the cameras, but they work okay when they can get a bar.

I moved one camera yesterday around lunchtime and got this pic while drinking coffee this morning. Bucks are still clustered together around here.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now with even more aplomb
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Cool pic JPro.

Camp is where you make it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

314 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 32 invisible), 1,473 guests, and 1,049 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,626
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.