Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well... if they fly into Cranbrook, then the giveaway supports an outfitter that likely know.
That is a good thing , because hunts are tough to sell these days. I have outfitter friends that are way undersold this fall.
I am always a little suspicious of the agenda behind any of these " promotions" however.
I our region( to the Alberta border) Elk numbers are miserably low, motor vehicle access to the spur valleys is extremely high.
Bull Elk must be 6 point, and they are rare on crown land, these herds now live on private land.
As a landowner, It is much easier to tip over a Bull on my own land, than in the traditional ' high basins' of my youth.
Our outfitter's are really struggling because of these habitual changes.
Life has changed, my friends
God Bless

BP-B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by comerade
Well... if they fly into Cranbrook, then the giveaway supports an outfitter that likely know.
That is a good thing , because hunts are tough to sell these days. I have outfitter friends that are way undersold this fall.
I am always a little suspicious of the agenda behind any of these " promotions" however.
I our region( to the Alberta border) Elk numbers are miserably low, motor vehicle access to the spur valleys is extremely high.
Bull Elk must be 6 point, and they are rare on crown land, these herds now live on private land.
As a landowner, It is much easier to tip over a Bull on my own land, than in the traditional ' high basins' of my youth.
God Bless
It certainly has. Where were herds of elk, there are now hordes of ATV-driving "hunters". Whitetail deer have become relatively rare in my area. Our region has been horribly managed and damaged. GD

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Politics aside, it is with great trepidation that I venture into the frozen north, to visit relatives or tourist gawk and snap. My greatest fear? You guessed it...the metric system. And then there is always the CSBA personnel guarding the border against Yanks (bearing Christmas gifts and armed with cameras), arguably the largest collection of rude, ill tempered, intimidating bullies ever assembled outside of Washington DC.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by comerade
God Bless
Do you have any idea how many Elk are taken on private land?
I do.......... if anyone wants to know where the missing Elk are...... start there.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On Game management in BC...........they try, but how can someone manage something that is unregulated??
It is baffling, where are all the Elk?
Same place the Buffalo are......Elk bother me, lets shoot all the females.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
That is true to a certain extent but it's difficult to quantify the amount of cows and calves taken. In my area, the herd which wintered in my field and the field adjacent to it amounted to about 200 to 250, thirty years ago. Today, there are about 35 to 50; varying from year to year. I know that all of this population reduction is not due to legal cow calf harvest. I also know it is not due to predation. My conclusion is that it is due to range degradation, illegal harvest, and exclusion from food sources; this in combination with an over-harvest of calves and cows. I had one biologist tell me they were aiming to reduce elk herds by 20%. I told her, "congratulations. You've reduce them TO 20%". She conceded they might have overdone it. I will never see them come back.
Range degradation is a big deal. Overgrazing, along with the introduction of invasive weed species, has really hurt the available grazing for elk. Invasive weeds are spread by cattle, ATV's and logging operations. In many areas, the problem is insurmountable.
In the back country areas, motorized vehicle access has to be one of the biggest factors. The typical modern hunter is a guy, dressed camo, with Polaris tattooed on his ass, driving all over in his side x side. GD

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"That is true to a certain extent but it is difficult to quantify the amount of cows and calves taken"
That is part of my point, that is a part of "unregulated", the other part is the truckloads of Elk being killed.

Yes predator's, yes invasive weeds, access to the land, but.....if those with the access are regulated, I puzzle about what the problem with that is....

We cannot continue to ignore the truckloads of Female Elk being killed. I know that in order for landowners to be free of pesky Elk, killing Bulls will do nothing.

I will also suggest that.....depletion of the Elk, Moose, Deer isn't an accident. It is a strategy to further limit hunting/control of resident hunters.

The resource is in the process of being handed over under the guise of...they know how to manage the resource better because they have been doing that for thousands of years.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I can't disagree with the negative impact of the predation by the indigenous poachers. It is tied in with the access issue as well. GD

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 673
"That is true to a certain extent but it is difficult to quantify the amount of cows and calves taken"
That is part of my point, that is a part of "unregulated", the other part is the truckloads of Elk being killed.

Yes predator's, yes invasive weeds, access to the land, but.....if those with the access are regulated, I puzzle about what the problem with that is....

We cannot continue to ignore the truckloads of Female Elk being killed. I know that in order for landowners to be free of pesky Elk, killing Bulls will do nothing.

I will also suggest that.....depletion of the Elk, Moose, Deer isn't an accident. It is a strategy to further limit hunting/control of resident hunters.

The resource is in the process of being handed over under the guise of...they know how to manage the resource better because they have been doing that for thousands of years.

We as hunters and wildlife proponents are a diminishing lot, so our needs are not in the spotlight for " new age people) And completley off the list for urbanites.
Health care takes up more of the budget all the time, and Canadian's also feel as their health is the responsibility of someone else.
I see a time the budget will chip away at most everything else, roads, pensions....you name it.
It is hard to identify with the pink hair Canadian's , for our world, is as foreign to them as life in North Korea.
Our remaining Elk have migrated to the valleys( much of it private) , because they are safer, calving is easier and predation is lessened.
No hard feelings Grey Dog- this is how I see it.
At least we now have a decent Conservative leader ,
he will speak for some of our " wants" in Western Canada. Will the New Age folks vote for him?
Yes, we need a Grizzly season again, the lefties ended it, Our Indians have little effect on game numbers, however.( imo)
It appears we are headed to Huxley's " Brave New World" .

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is overall view, but the view on the ground is what we in BC face. Federal politicians have little input on what is a provincial responsibility.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
And in BC, the two factions both cater to special interest groups and neither of them truly care about environmental concerns or BC wildlife. GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We might blame the treaty negotiations for regulation changes too willingly. Where I moose hunt in in northern BC they changed the regulations from any bull for a week and antler restrictions for rest of the season to Limited Entry Hunting (draw) with antler restrictions even. I didn't hunt there last year, but the year before we were concerned about the lack of cow/calf we were seeing. In fact driving back at night from shopping trip to town , out of beer and gas,we saw no eyes . That was very unusual.

Last edited by downwindtracker2; 09/15/22.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is truly baffling to me that an unregulated harvest, with zero data, can be overlooked LOL.

Look at the decimated Whitetail populations as a direct result of female harvest, and it really is just that simple. Any ungulate I am aware of can be decimated by targeting the females of any species, which is the entire point behind the WT doe harvest.

I am not directly pointing toward unregulated hunting, I would also include some of the private landowners who invite unregulated hunters onto their massive properties to shoot dump truck loads of Elk, mostly Cows.
If anyone thinks that doesn't happen then......you need to get out more, or maybe just wake the fugg up.

Something happened to all those Elk, they didn't just get eaten by predator's, and they certainly didn't all get shot by regulated hunters, just didn't happen.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Oops
Canadian Citizen Huh ?
Oh Well,
Another reason for the black suvs to visit me

Let him grow, Shoot a doe !
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
DWT2,
There are strange things happening all over the province. One would never have thought you could drive from here to Whitehorse and back and see one moose, but we did. At the same time, we saw at least 200 bison and fifty black bears. For whatever reason, the moose have really taken a licking. In our part of the country, all ungulates have been reduced and it has been deliberate. GD

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
685 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 78 invisible), 3,076 guests, and 1,473 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,678
Posts18,399,550
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.