Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan
Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking, by Malcolm Gladwell. Just finished The 33 Strategies of War, by Robert Greene.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the Gladwell book when you're finished.

His book Outliers was brutal. My kids had to read it for school. It is not a book I would normally read since I could smell from a mile away the pop culture b.s. it contained, but I read all the books my kids read for school so I persisted. Sure enough the book did not disappoint.

It was a contrived parsing of anecdotal bits and pieces attempting to support his flimsy claims. My kids who read it saw through the thin veneer of wannabe scholarship immediately. I think Gladwell's true strength is fleecing the pockets of the psuedo-intellectuals who laugh at the New Yorker cartoons they don't understand and look down on the plebs they disdain.

Sorry to rip on Gladwell. Hopefully Blink is better. But my son was just raging about that book and the author the other day and what now gets passed off as scholarship. That book and its reception really bothered him and occasionally he just erupts with vitriol for that guy.

But to answer the OP's question I'm currently reading different articles and excerpts from books my one son is reading in college. -tnscouter

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
All Tony Hillerman books. Fiction on the Rez.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
April 1945, The Hinge of History by Craig Shirley.

about the last few months at the end of WW 2.

Another book I picked up at Costco...

That or Barnes and Noble is where I pick up most books I plan on reading...

Right now I am behind in my reading... got 17 new ones I've bought over the last 3 or 4 months that have interested me..

but been too darn busy this summer, taking care of "crap" around the house and for the family...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve read Toll’s trilogy of the Pacific War twice. Once a year or so ago, then again this spring.
You’re right, it’s excellent reading.
I read a lot of Louis L’Amour’s books when I was in Jr High in the late ‘70s.
They had a rack full of them at Murphy Mart, and Mom bought one for me about every week.
I had a side cabinet of the bookcase filled with them.
My older brother borrowed them when he started driving truck, and by ones and twos, they all disappeared.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tnscouter
Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking, by Malcolm Gladwell. Just finished The 33 Strategies of War, by Robert Greene.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the Gladwell book when you're finished.

His book Outliers was brutal. My kids had to read it for school. It is not a book I would normally read since I could smell from a mile away the pop culture b.s. it contained, but I read all the books my kids read for school so I persisted. Sure enough the book did not disappoint.

It was a contrived parsing of anecdotal bits and pieces attempting to support his flimsy claims. My kids who read it saw through the thin veneer of wannabe scholarship immediately. I think Gladwell's true strength is fleecing the pockets of the psuedo-intellectuals who laugh at the New Yorker cartoons they don't understand and look down on the plebs they disdain.

Sorry to rip on Gladwell. Hopefully Blink is better. But my son was just raging about that book and the author the other day and what now gets passed off as scholarship. That book and its reception really bothered him and occasionally he just erupts with vitriol for that guy.

But to answer the OP's question I'm currently reading different articles and excerpts from books my one son is reading in college. -tnscouter

Not as harsh, but I've had a similar view of Gladwell. Quaint stories but misses obvious logical gaps. Can't remember if it was Blink or Outlier in which he discussed Ted Williams. Gladwell quoted a doctor who said nobody could see the stitches on the ball, so Ted was wrong. Gladwell didn't consider the possbility that maybe Ted had better eyesight than everyone else. I mean, compared to all the others who hit 400.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Catching back up on the Bowditch series by Paul Doiron. Kinda like CJ Box's series, except this game warden in in Maine.

Recently finished Rising Tiger by Brad Thor, the latest in the Scot Harvath series.

Also on the 5th book of the Jaka Mahegan series by AJ Tata. Lead character is a 1/2 Native American former Army Ranger that gets back into the business. Setting is mostly along the East Coast, specific the Carolinas.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
New Longmire book out by Craig Johnson, iv read the rest.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Run With the Horsemen. Fiction, but in fact an autobiography of a kid growing up on a farm in central Georgia in the 1930's.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I am still going through 3 to 5 books a week. Some on the schedule this week are John Sandford's scifi book "Saturn Run', Robin Cook's "Host", Nigel Calder's "Einstein's Universe" and Patrick Wyman's "The Verge",( 1490-1530. Forty Years that shook the world). I'll finish up with Bernard Cornwell's "Sword of Kings"

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Return by Dick Morris.

Just finished April 1945.

Both good reads.

Virgil B.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rereading "The Hill" by Leonard B. Scott (Col. USA ret.)

Absolutely one of my favorite books of all time

The author has painted vivid and accurate scenes of the battles of Dak To, the story seems to follow the same sequence of events as listed in the historical registers. Although, "The Hill' is fiction, yet, it is clear that the author called upon his own memories of these terrible times.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Corbett Collection, Rio7

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The Science of Evil

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Working my way through John Macdonald’s Travis McGee books. Entertaining and easy reading to pass the time.

Read two of them and Dennys Reitz’s Boer Commando while weathered in the tent moose hunting a couple weeks ago.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Helmet For My Pillow- Robert Leckie.
Chesapeake- James Michener.
I've read Chesapeake many times and try to reread it every couple of years.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tnscouter

Sorry to rip on Gladwell. Hopefully Blink is better. But my son was just raging about that book and the author the other day and what now gets passed off as scholarship. That book and its reception really bothered him and occasionally he just erupts with vitriol for that guy . . .

Yeah, there's a not-so-thin veneer of the current fashionable correctness but he does go beyond it to some extent. The cases he presents are no doubt cherry-picked so by no means an exhaustive study, but the subject of the unconscious mind interests me. I'm listening to this one on library audio while working so if it's all blow and no show at least I haven't wasted other valuable time or any of my money.

I'm about 1/3 through it and so far I'd say, if you can look past the spin, the case he's making is correct; many if not most of the decisions and judgements people make are very much influenced by the subconscious mind. Sometimes that's a good thing--vital in fact--and sometimes it's not so good.

Mark Manson's consciousness car analogy is much more straightforward and useful IMO.

Not that most people who read either book will ever actually try to exercise their conscious mind in order to put it in the driver's seat. Embracing confirmation bias and bellowing into echo chambers seems to be much more popular among the unwashed masses and pseudo-intellectuals alike.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by Beoceorl
The Gulag Archipelago by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

That’s hard core man hats off to you

Its a tough read. Not because of the writing, or the length, but because of where the stories Solzhenitsyn tells take your mind.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I don't read a bunch of fiction but the Aubrey/Maturin series has me hooked. The amount of historical scholarship involved is complimented by great writing. I am also reading the Afghanistan Papers by Craig Whitlock which might prove to be a bombshell, I will update upon completion.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by efw
The Gulag Archipelago by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

That’s hard core man hats off to you

Its a tough read. Not because of the writing, or the length, but because of where the stories Solzhenitsyn tells take your mind.

Should be required reading, especially for people who vote democrat.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Book about a mutiny on a Russian ASW destroyer written by the chief engineer after he immigrated to US. Supposedly the inspiration for the Hunt for Red October.

Mutiny: The Inside Story of the True Events That Inspired The Hunt for Red October. Hagberg, David; Gindin, Boris (2008).

1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus. Charles Mann

Last edited by Aagaardsporter; 09/22/22. Reason: add
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,975 guests, and 1,416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,474
Posts18,451,783
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.