Hop To
S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Folks
I inherited a Model 280 Ithaca/SKB 20 gauge 2 3/4" side by side.
Seems like a nice shotgun, but it was spray painted bow to stern port to starboard BLACK.
Bores are beautiful. I spent most of today removing the paint from the stock - forend. Nice wood English style straight stock nicely checkered. Very small beginning of a crack on top of right side of beavertail forend.
What I'd like to know if anyone has one what's the pros / cons?
Thank you in advance for your time.
Semper Fidelis
Soup

BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That is a DAMN NICE little gun. I have one and an SKB605 that are fantastic little guns. Congrats on cleaning it up and getting it in good shape.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Soup
Folks
I inherited a Model 280 Ithaca/SKB 20 gauge 2 3/4" side by side.
Seems like a nice shotgun, but it was spray painted bow to stern port to starboard BLACK.
Bores are beautiful. I spent most of today removing the paint from the stock - forend. Nice wood English style straight stock nicely checkered. Very small beginning of a crack on top of right side of beavertail forend.
What I'd like to know if anyone has one what's the pros / cons?
Thank you in advance for your time.
Semper Fidelis
Soup

Sounds nice, what length of barrels? The fixed choke Ithaca/SKB doubles are my favorite shotguns, O/U or SxS.

Keep an eye on the stock where it meets the receiver, very common for hairline cracks to appear. An easy fix if found early.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Very nice guns! You can go to the SKB website to get the year of mfg.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kenacp
Very nice guns! You can go to the SKB website to get the year of mfg.
Not in my experience. They only have info on SKB imported firearms, none on those imported by Ithaca.

1969-1978

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Previous owner sounds like a retard. I hope you have a higher regard for it than he did....mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Gents,
I removed all the paint from the wood yesterday. Nice stock
It still has some of the original finish left in some spots. The barrels came clean, and the bluing is still very nice. There's the beginning of a small crack on the top right side of the forearm. I really had to look hard to find it.
I'm going to send the whole stock out to be refinished and repaired. Any suggestions?
Innards are fine no rust.
Thank you to all for your responses.
Soup

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I would love to see some before and after pics...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
If memory serves me correctly the bores are chrome plated and the receiver/barrels black chromed. Very durable.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
those are great little guns
Pictures please

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B3

S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Gents,
I've been thinking about Linseed oil to finish the stock.
Two things have to happen, I need to repair the crack in the forend or have it done professionally and get what's left of the original finish off.
Since I've never done a stock before I'm guessing I need to get some rougher sandpaper and go to work VERY CREFULLY.I do know the more preparation I put in the better the finished job.
Any pointers are greatly appreciated.
Semper Fidelis
Soup

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Pictures would be helpful, you should be able to glue the crack, seems like the original finish was glossy on those SKB's, probaly lacquer.
Once all the paint is off and repairs made you can wet sand with water and 220 or whatever it needs, if 220 too fine step down a notch, wet sanding with water will raise the grain slightly.

The worst part will be sanding around the checkering, you may have to point that up and good luck.

Boiled linseed oil is a good finish, you can add some beeswax to the BL, you will have to heat, I used a small tin and a candle, a tin like from a shoe paste top will work.

You can wet sand with the linseed oil as well, warming the stock and oil helps to absorb the oil, rub vigorously!

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by dian
If memory serves me correctly the bores are chrome plated and the receiver/barrels black chromed. Very durable.

At some point when G. U. was importing them, they dropped the black chrome finish and the chrome bores. I would have to look up the year.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Greetings from deepest east Texas. My wife and I have created a resale furniture and collectables business to not stay bored, going into our late '70's and ever so often we run into things like what I'm going to ask about.

FWIW I spent 13 years in the firearms industry, 1st as a Dallas based major wholesaler's sales rep in the eastern half of Texas, and later spent 6 years repping for Stoeger Industries in 5 states.

Today I got stumped on the value of a better than average clean but used Ithaca 20 guage pump from probably the mid/late 50's to mebbe the 60's. At the wholesaler I worked for starting in the mid to late 70's I sold a lot of these guns well into the early '70's and later, and owned several Ithaca shotguns of one sort or another ... guns that looked very similar. However I did not get the Serial # as my wife had seen everything she wanted to look at and wanted to get down the road the next stop...never take your wife to see some guns!! Mine thought this one would be pretty in the gun case and a good candidate to resell.

The Sale's price tag on the Ithaca was $700 and I thought the price was a little high and wanted to make an offer but the owner had had to leave to take care of something at home and is supposed to be available tomorrow.

So....I'm thinking the shotgun is worth about $500/$550 ...and the Question I have is how far am I on or off on a reasonable price?? as a keeper or as a resale piece.
Ron

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've still got the 20 gauge Ithaca 200 (made by SKB) that Dad gave me when I was a kid in 1969.

It's done some duck hunting and a lot of upland bird hunting. smile It's in very good condition still and shoots great. smile

I hope that yours is as good. They can be great guns.

Regards, Guy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My dad had one when i was a teen. It was one of dad's favorite rabbit hunting guns. Nothing took the place of the old man's Belgian Sweet Sixteen but he shot that little 20 gauge SKB SxS really well. Some sorry ass thieves broke into the house and stole most of our guns while we were on vacation.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have had two of the Ithaca SKB 20 ga. Both were the base 100 models with extractors. One had 25" barrels and the other 28" barrels. The shorter barrel gun was a terrific quail and pheasant gun and one of the most reliable and trouble free shotguns I had owned. The 28" with tighter chokes was a better pheasant gun and when lead was the norm a good ducks over decoys gun. Good luck with yours.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Soup
Gents,
I removed all the paint from the wood yesterday. Nice stock
It still has some of the original finish left in some spots. The barrels came clean, and the bluing is still very nice. There's the beginning of a small crack on the top right side of the forearm. I really had to look hard to find it.
I'm going to send the whole stock out to be refinished and repaired. Any suggestions?
Innards are fine no rust.
Thank you to all for your responses.
Soup

Arts gunshop in Missouri . Congratulations that is a sweet SxS

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 10/02/22.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,704 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,617
Posts18,398,496
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.