Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
We just got a new 4 year contract at work, starting 10/1 any
new hires will only be offered single coverage health care.

No spouse or family coverage.

Employees, is your employer doing something similar?
How do you go about insuring your family?

We have been in the situation of not being able to absorb the
high family rate when I worked a different job.
Wife and I each had single policies, had the kids on the Chip program
insurance. We had enough income that we paid the full amount to
insure them, and they ended up on two different policies.
4 people 2 companies, 4 different policies. Goat sex central!

This deal really pissed me off, always thought the difference in pricing
showed business as worried about keeping the Mule pulling, but no
concern for their (families?) welfare.

This, pulls back the shroud and proves it.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Sleepy
Campfire Regular
Not sure since we dont' have kids

I will ask a new guy see what he was offered

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I pay more in premiums per check because my daughter is on my policy but I receive a bigger annual payment into my HSA from my employer due to having a dependent on my policy so that it’s basically about a wash.

My wife’s insurance is covered through her employers health insurance which in our case both policies are about equal. My employer only covers spouses that are not offered private insurance (basically a non working spouse).

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Honk for Joey.....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You have zero clue the cost associated with employing someone. Most employees believe money grows on trees, and never stop to consider that they have to make the business owner at least 150% of their wage to be profitable. Obviously union since you mentioned a contract. What percentage of your dues wind up in the coffers of the democrat party?

Last edited by jackmountain; 09/21/22.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
my work has never covered my kids ....nor did i think they should

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gene270
my work has never covered my kids ....nor did i think they should
A spouse with their own insurance I get it. An employer that only offered insurance that wouldn’t cover your minor children… I’d be looking for a different employer. Frankly I find that hard to believe. Unless you expected the government to pay for your kid’s healthcare you’d almost have to look for a different job.

If you’re making enough to buy private policies for your kids healthcare than you have a job decent enough to cover them for a relatively small up charge.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s all just part of the compensation pie. Companies figure out what they have to spend to have people work for them, then divvy it up in wages and bennies. My company has always been self-insured, and hired an “insurance company” to administer the plan, which apparently saves them money over just buying a plan from someone. Now that I’m retired, they have a fund to pay for my insurance just as they have one for my pension, and they report on its finances periodically the same way. Employees and retirees not yet on Medicare have options for their coverage, some requiring additional payments from the worker. I always took the no-cost plan. Once reaching Medicare age, the option is take the Advantage plan or don’t. My wife is 9 years away from Medicare, so she still has the same insurance as current employees, as would our kids if we had any. No cost to us for our plans as yet.

After I retired, new employees were put in a separate tier, with no traditional pension, but additional contributions for their 401Ks. No contact with any of them, so I don’t know how their medical plans work. My son and his wife juggle their plans to get coverage for themselves and the kids at the best price. It’s a annual chore to figure out the best deal, but she works for a German company and their bennies are really good.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I can tell you it cost us $450/month for single employee only coverage. Family coverage started at $1100/month and went up.

We ended up offering everyone single coverage and if you wanted family, we contributed $200 towards it, but you were responsible for the remainder. In talking to other small businesses, we had one of the most generous health insurance plans in our area.

It was a strong recruiting tool.

We sold the business recently. The new health plan of the corporate take over is an abortion.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Mine and the wife’s previous employers would cover the fam, but the cost was pretty steep.

We each ended up covered by our respective employers and the kids had their own policy through a med share type program. Pretty sure it was Christian based. Wife found it, it penciled out, and we ran with it. Coverage wasn’t great but would keep us from going tits up in case of a serious medical event.

Insurance companies suck azz. Our whole medical system is a joke.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Agreed, total joke. We pay $12000 a year for two mid 50s people. And that is down after 4 years of Trump. Good luck as we all move forward with this stuff.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
My coverage in the early 2000’s was great. Then the HCA happened. Every year the deductibles have gone up, the premiums have gone up, and the coverage sucks azz.

Insurance companies and the massive health care conglomerates have fugged it all up.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
maybe i am not understanding the post...my company pays for me and i can pay for my kids to have coverage if i choose but the company only pays for me ....i thought thats the way most companys work

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I see a few companies around here going to single only insurance but they are realizing that the people they get are young with no responsibilities or ethics, or the older folks that can't do the physical labor things.

I know of one that went back to doing family coverage so they could get better workers.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't complain. For a family of 3 I pay around 140 a week for medical, dental and vision and a grand in the HSA (total).

Now if the spouse has medical insurance availability, they will drop her to force her on her own companies insurance.

My wife doesn't work. So my company never questioned keeping my family on my insurance.

Coverage is going down hill but it's still coverage.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by jackmountain
You have zero clue the cost associated with employing someone. Most employees believe money grows on trees, and never stop to consider that they have to make the business owner at least 150% of their wage to be profitable. Obviously union since you mentioned a contract. What percentage of your dues wind up in the coffers of the democrat party?

Good post.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
I can't complain. For a family of 3 I pay around 140 a week for medical, dental and vision and a grand in the HSA (total).

Now if the spouse has medical insurance availability, they will drop her to force her on her own companies insurance.

My wife doesn't work. So my company never questioned keeping my family on my insurance.

Coverage is going down hill but it's still coverage.
That’s about the same as mine. I pay about $180 per month for my daughter and I but get $1200 back annually in the HSA. If I only covered myself the premiums would run about $80 per month for the same healthcare with dental and vision but I’d only get $300 contributed to my HSA.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gene270
maybe i am not understanding the post...my company pays for me and i can pay for my kids to have coverage if i choose but the company only pays for me ....i thought thats the way most companys work
It sounds like I was wrong. My employer requires some out of pocket cost on my part regardless even if only for me but will cover my dependent children at a reasonably small additional charge.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Let's see,
match my SS,
Workers Comp (not current on price, but it's dam expensive)
$2.51/hr into pension
80% of the over $20k for insurance

Pretty sure in our case it's not 150% to cover cost and start earning, but it's
substantial. We used to have an annua "State of the Company" meeting.
Along with brochures with breakdowns showing it all.
Also they would present the Company finances, no $#s.
But percentages. Products, machines, raw materials......
Geek that I am I enjoyed all that.

One thing that always stuck out.

Despite being the highest paid place
in the county, our total labor was 8% of expenses.
At no time has management ever directly complained about
cost of labor. In any way. They compare us to surrounding business and use the region's cost of living against us,
but have never, ever, claimed labor was expensive.

Not sure what percentage of dues goes to political things, any is too much.
But of my $6/week, most of which goes to our local which is 100%
Republican, it can't be a whole lot.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 09/21/22.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
To clarify for others.
There will be no insurance for new employees families.
No avenue within our policy to acquire it either.

The officers tried to negotiate higher rates for current employees, other
concessions. Total no go.

We are small enough that Obama care regulations, don't apply.

18 years ago they started a deal of paying family policy people $500/month to not use our insurance, as long as the bought it somewhere.

Now only 60% use company insurance.
Pretty sure family coverage goes away for everyone eventually.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 09/21/22.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 67 invisible), 2,334 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,538
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.