-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If your employer had a role in creating your kids, I'd expect him to be responsible.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 280shooter
If your employer had a role in creating your kids, I'd expect him to be responsible.
LOL but you probably claim to want to Make America Great Again while being a shill for globalist that outsource everything to China and sweatshops so that Apple and Nike to can make a product overseas for a few bucks and sell it at a 1000% markup with a “designed in the USA logo.”

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm self employed (LLC actually). I pay (LLC pays) $1600/month, family of 4. Healthcare in this country is out of control, but I won't start down that rabbit hole.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
LOL but you probably claim to want to Make America Great Again while being a shill for globalist that outsource everything to China and sweatshops so that Apple and Nike to can make a product overseas for a few bucks and sell it at a 1000% markup with a “designed in the USA logo.”
So much stupidity and supposition in so few words. Well done. Now take some responsibility.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
So much stupidity and supposition in so few words. Well done. Now take some responsibility.
Ditto.

I take full responsibility. Having read this thread everyone in my family has far better healthcare coverage than most.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If that’s the case and you are unhappy with it, go find another job. You didn’t state what you do but assuming you have some skills there’s a shortage in the skilled trades right now. My guys make about $115k a year as heavy equipment mechanics. People stupidly put up with all kinds of nonsense from prik employers but find every excuse to stay it seems. Best thing you can do is switch employers every 3-5 years. Loyalty will just get you schitt on!

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
If that’s the case and you are unhappy with it, go find another job. You didn’t state what you do but assuming you have some skills there’s a shortage in the skilled trades right now. My guys make about $115k a year as heavy equipment mechanics. People stupidly put up with all kinds of nonsense from prik employers but find every excuse to stay it seems. Best thing you can do is switch employers every 3-5 years. Loyalty will just get you schitt on!

Good advice, sort of.

Never been happy at a job.
100%
Every job has lumps in the gravy, gotta decide what's a deal breaker, what's a deal maker.

In this area, with my time on this job, I ain't going anywhere soon.
In less than 10 years, I'm out, might check out even sooner.

That said, things change. I would try to keep a son from going to work
there. The union will likely become more of a blessing to the employer
than the employee over time. It wouldn't become the first place of its kind to be union and under compensated.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Take what we’ll give you or we’ll threaten to outsource to China or an illegal Mexican.

As mentioned above moving jobs every so often is good advice.

The trades covers a big swath. I worked in the trades for 10 years and was happy to leave for a better paying more stable job in the chemical industry. The trades can be a great decision for some but are not all that they’re cracked up to be.

30-40 employees and the owner, his brother’s, his sons and a few nephews make bank the other 20 make $65k a year averaging out to $115k overall since they’re all tradesmen. There’s nothing wrong with that but it skews the numbers and is the norm in the industry. With travel time unpaid for between jobs at employee expense and zero paid holidays and zero vacation time. The healthcare and retirement were good. I was with the IBEW local 692 for reference.

It can be spun a lot of ways but overall for Joe average most tradesmen when factoring in travel or living out of motels, the amount of knowledge and backbreaking work involved most are under paid and not raking in well over six figures consistently on anything close to a standard 40 hour workweek.

If the average tradesman was making anywhere near a $115k a year we wouldn’t haven’t a shortage and guys leaving it for other industries.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by dale06
[quote=jackmountain]You have zero clue the cost associated with employing someone. Most employees believe money grows on trees,

Why not ,Biden and the whole Democratic party does.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
We use to pay 100 percent of the premium for the whole family but we wanted to attract the best. It turned out to be a mistake because several of our employees had spouses that were eligible for good plans through their work at minimal cost but obviously didn't take it because it was free through us. Several new hires said they would take higher pay rather than have health insurance and the board agreed. They always came back a year later and demanded health benefits on top of the extra pay. It was a mess.

I frequently told the board that employees should be responsible for at least a bit of their premium. It cost the company an average of $2000 per month per employee for heath care. After we got bought out we had to pay 33% of our premium. It costs me $700 a month for my family. When I quit I went on cobra and it was $2100 per month. I've never had a mortgage that high. Pre Obama our most expensive families were $800 a month total cost for a premium plan and you could keep your Dr.

Bb

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The county ins.went that way this year.

Glad the wife retired last year.

If you have a spouse and/or kids it costs an additional amount on top of what yours costs.

When she retired the ins.changed to another company and in some ways it's worse some ways it's better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In a lot of states, if the employer doesn't offer employee family health insurance, the dependents are eligible for state health benefits.

Had a conversation with my brother last week about health insurance. He still lives near Amsterdam, retired, early 60's, pays his own health insurance (full premium, private market insurance). His premium is $950. Per YEAR.

Healthcare costs in this country are completely, utterly out of control. I'd like to blame the HCA, but that just made the problems worse, the whole sector was already rotten to the core before that.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Burleyboy,

One of the weirdest things of this contract deal was the insurance and
pay of new hires.

We just can't get anyone interested enough to apply.
Have had 2 vacancy jobs for months, filled one, fired him in two weeks.
Used to call the Job Service and request apps by name.
Ignored the rest. No one pulling for you? Your app was never looked at.
Now no apps.

Our starting rate sucks, no insurance on their family. WTF?
You can't hire, so you make yourself less appealing?

Mentioned we are down 2? Likely need 3, possibly six added in the
next few months. Can't wait to see how in the heck they plan to
attract any good people. We can't even get bad ones.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MadMooner
My coverage in the early 2000’s was great. Then the HCA happened. Every year the deductibles have gone up, the premiums have gone up, and the coverage sucks azz.

Insurance companies and the massive health care conglomerates have fugged it all up.
No No No.

we have the best system in the World.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dutch
In a lot of states, if the employer doesn't offer employee family health insurance, the dependents are eligible for state health benefits.

Had a conversation with my brother last week about health insurance. He still lives near Amsterdam, retired, early 60's, pays his own health insurance (full premium, private market insurance). His premium is $950. Per YEAR.

Healthcare costs in this country are completely, utterly out of control. I'd like to blame the HCA, but that just made the problems worse, the whole sector was already rotten to the core before that.
No, No, No

we have the best system in the World

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

So move to Amsterdam.
Why exactly is healthcare, as an American, so expensive?

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Our company pays 100 percent of the premiums for the whole family. Over the many years that I've been there the deductible has increased a little here and a little there but nun the less they still cover the costs for the whole family.
Typically, in our industry the younger folks would rather have more per hour in wages than the health insurance coverage as the health insurance coverage doesn't seem to have the same and or a better value to them.
The older folks that should be retired and enjoying themselves are sticking around long after retirement eligibility because the company provides full coverage family insurance that they rely on.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Backroads

Fundamentally, because there is no way for the consumer to shop providers on price. It's a capitalist system where in a large portion of the transactions, neither the sellers, nor the buyers know what the cost of the transaction is. In many other transactions (expensive ones, particularly), the buyer is incapacitated and can't make an informed decision.

By economic definition, an "imperfect market".

Sic Semper Tyrannis
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'm retired but my employer still pays in total for single coverage plus $200/month into an HSA. Currently, that is nearly $1000/month. Next option is +1 meaning one child, is extra but I don't know how much. The extra cost is shared by the employer and employee when I retired the employer kicked in an extra $200. Family is spouse and children. It is higher yet with the same $200 employer contribution.

There were three different plans for each insurance type when I left, the primary affect was on +1 and Family as it dropped the employee's out of pocket expense by limiting clinic and hospital choices and increasing out of provider costs. I stayed on the top tier in part as I lived outstate and my local clinic and hospital did not fall under the metro designation. It also means I pay a $2600 deductible and after that I have no more out of pocket for the remainder of the calendar year. As my former job has a high cancer rate and I've had two scares, that low deductible provides peace of mind.

The $200 HSA contribution was the result of Obama Care. The city refused to give anything to single coverage but increased employer contributions to +1 and even more to Family. The top tier plans were all in the Cadillac zone and we had just signed a 3 year contract locking the rates. The city would have had to eat the tax but we reopened the insurance part of the contract got the HSA contributions for single coverage to give everyone the same value in health care benefits.

The health care contract expires this year but I haven't heard what is being offered. That will probably change in the next week. I don't expect any significant changes though I highly doubt rates will go down.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Backroads

Fundamentally, because there is no way for the consumer to shop providers on price. It's a capitalist system where in a large portion of the transactions, neither the sellers, nor the buyers know what the cost of the transaction is. In many other transactions (expensive ones, particularly), the buyer is incapacitated and can't make an informed decision.

By economic definition, an "imperfect market".
A pretty good analysis.

And the interesting thing is, the price is different for so many people, depending on who's paying it would seem.

In it is contentment

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (5sdad, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 26 invisible), 1,913 guests, and 1,004 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,499
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.