24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J.R. Offline OP
OP Offline
What is your favorite freshwater fish and why???<P>panfish is my favorite because they are in most lakes/ponds, will bite live baits, and flies, put up a good fight for their size, and good to eat.<P>J.R.

GB2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tough question. I think I will go with Steelhead. I like working up and down the river, so even if I am not catching anything, I still have something to do. When you do hook one, you'll feel like your arms are getting yanked out.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My favorite is the Shellcracker bream.They are found in almost every pond,lake,river and stream.They are easy to catch and put up a very good fight for there size.Also they are my most favorite fish to eat.Very delicious. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img]

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Trout in a stream setting. All streams are riparian ares that atract wildlife, and offer the challenge of reading the water. Ready made for the handgun armed, fly fisherman. E.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Nice, big walleyes hooked in fast water on light/medium spinning tackle. It can be even more fun when a musky grabs the walleye! Either will make a mouth-watering meal, besides being great fun. A howdah pistol is rarely needed (grin), although it used to be common practice to carry a .22 rf pistol to subdue a big, toothy musky prior to boating one.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
i would have to say it's a split between Steelhead and King Salmon. Steelhead on a highline with about 300 feet of line behind the boat and you will really see a show. Those guys like to get up on the surface and dance around. Kings will really stress test your drag on the reel if they get it in their head to run. Hooked one on a down rigger once and the rod never even poped. he started taking line and decided to take off to Chicago. By the time we got the boat turned around, he damn near stripped all the line off the reel. Never did get a look at him, just kept running. Couldn't turn him. Lots of fun! I guess that's why they call it fishin, not catchin. <BR>Keeb

Don't criticize someone until you have walked a mile in their shoes. That way, your a mile away and you have their shoes.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Native BrookTrout would have to be my favorite fish to catch no doubt. they put up a great fight for their size.<BR>YH

MARLIN 35Rem. THE ONLY WAY TO GO!!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Silver salmon (coho's). Hard hitters, good fighters, great eating or smoking. Saltwater, freshwater, heavy or light tackle. Got an 8 weight rod I'd like to catch one on this year!<P>good luck, all!<BR>John

"If a little's good, a lot's better, and way too much is just right!"
F
F
Smallmouth without a doubt all fun and fight 4oz or 4lb. When you use ultra light in small clear streams it makes for great fishing.

Don't go fishing, it leaves more fish for me.:)
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Walleyes first, then Muskies, after that stream trout. All northern WI, MN.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Stream trout in northern Wyo--just spent 5 days in the Clarks Fork of the Yellowstone upper drainage and caught probably 100-200 fish per day. Rainbows, cuts, brookies, some browns and the odd greyling. From 3 inches to 20.
<br>Steve95

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Definatly steelhead. Nothing like fighting a 10 lb fish on 6 lb leader, and have come out of the water. What a show! As a second, i do enjoy the 80+ fish days in late summer fishing for smallmouth. If only they got to 10 lbs.

Sean
yes, trout fishing is a blast. Wyomings a great place to get a few. In addition to wyoming trout. I like to go to lake powell. They have such a great variety of fish, its a fantastic place to take your kids. Panfish, Bass, Striped Bass, Catfish, an occasional Walleye. its all good

SSH, Be vewy, vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Elmers'
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Apparently none of you gentleman have had the pleasure of ice fishing for yellow perch in the Dakotas. I'm from NE South Dakota, the heart of glacial lakes fishing and believe me, nothing that swims beats a 10-15" yellow perch pulled from underneath of 2 feet of ice! Anyway you cook em is good, but fried is definitely the best. The added fun of hitting a 10-20 lb. northern while jigging for the culinary delights makes it even more fun, some of us more demented folk even fish for northerns with smelt and tip-ups while we catch our limits of big perch. Believe, most people think walleye is better until they have our perch!
<br>Selmer
<br>

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No question about it! Lake trout on light tackle.
<br>
<br>They will outfight a salmon any day of the week and are absolutely delicious in the pan, on the grill or in the oven. (:-))
<br>
<br>Ted

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yukoner, I've been holding off asking about lake trout but decided I think I can do it tactfully, truly more curiosity than critique. Maybe I just got in on lake trout from a bad place or something. My only experience catching and eating them was in northern Saskatchewan, either in the Churchill River system and attendant lakes, or near the edge of that maze. They were bright and pretty, a bit sluggish (mid May to late June), and astoundingly oily with a near rancid taste. Are we talking about the same fish? Are they different in different areas? Of course, my friends in Europe just love carp.... and who am I to question the taste preferences of another.
<br>
<br>This is making me hungry. I'm going to fix a combo lunch of seabright sockeye salmon and halibut cheeks, my favorites among fish for this morning at least. If I catch a steelhead this evening, it will be steelhead tomorrow.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I caught some lake trout in colorado last summer, and i was dissapointed in the fight, they were definatly sluggish. I landed a 20" laker on an ultralight spinning rod rated from 1-4 lb line and 4 lb maxima and it came right to the boat, didnt even take any line. Landed a 16" brown in the colorado river on the same rig, and it was a handful on that rod, fought very hard. just for comparisons. I cooked up the 16" brown and about a 18" laker and both were tasty, but the laker was exceptionally good. I have heard the smaller ones are better for eating.

Sean
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe our lakers are a special brand. They certainly are anything but sluggish and mighty fine in the pan!

Best in the New Year to everyone.

Ted

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yukoner, sounds like you are way up north, really cold water. Wish I could try catching a few of your lakers with you. Someday I'll probably find out the reason for the taste of our lakers was that our cook was using an old can of boot grease he'd found in the cabin to cook them. Yes, best of the year to you!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
172 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 14 invisible), 1,471 guests, and 827 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,909
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.