Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by beretzs
Question, can you use Leupold Dual Dovetail bases and Burris Rings with the inserts?

Absolutely. But as pointed out elsewhere in this thread DD Burris rings with the inserts are tough to come by - in my experience.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Question, can you use Leupold Dual Dovetail bases and Burris Rings with the inserts?

Absolutely. But as pointed out elsewhere in this thread DD Burris rings with the inserts are tough to come by - in my experience.

Yeah, I just searched the crap out of them and you’re right. Thanks for the heads up WF.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Yeah, I just searched the crap out of them and you’re right. Thanks for the heads up WF.

Beretzs:

I might have a set squirreled away; if you're in desperate need I can look.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Starbuck

Beretzs:

I might have a set squirreled away; if you're in desperate need I can look.

I’m not desperate and don’t wanna put you out, but I’d appreciate it.

Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a 64 QT tote box full of Redfield and Leupold turn-in bases and rings, but only one set are installed at this time, on a Ruger 44 International.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Starbuck
Burns:

Do you have a preferred pic ring?

I like the Leupold QDWs but they are heavy.

Been using a lot of Leupold Backcountry with good sucess.

I wish Leupold would do the QRWs in aluminum.

Burris Signatures as mentioned above are handy if you need some tilt but are big.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 09/22/22.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I understand that Leupold QRWs are made by Warne, same material as Warne's Maximas, but a different design.

Durasight QD rings aren't bad if you need medium or high rings.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
TerryK: I have used the Redfield "twist on" rings and bases for MANY decades now - then when the copy-cat Leupold "twist on" rings and bases came along I also began using them.
No problems to date and I am certain I have in excess of 100 (one hundred!) sets of these ring bases in use right now.
I was at my local gun shop this mid-day after Antelope scouting and the owner was mounting a scope using the Leupold "twist on" rings and base.
I do "lap" my rings when using these style rings and bases.
Again I consider this "twist on" ring and base system strong and reliable (no shifting P.O.I.!) - plus it looks great on a Rifle.
I still recommend them to newbies putting together Varmint or big game Rifle and scope combo's.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I still have two sets in use with the rear windage screws due to restrictions mandated by those rifles. Never an issue with them, but standard Talleys or now the small, neat Warne Weaver bases get most of my business. I just replaced a set of standard Weavers on a 336 and the Warnes are a bit lower, and better looking. I also had to go back to a Weaver base on my newest FN because the Warne blocked the view of the front sight through the Lyman 57. Weavers have a tunnel down the middle.

I keep an old cheap scope handy for aligning the rings. I twist the front one in with a dowel, then tweak the alignment until the scope moves freely in both rings. Burris rings with inserts are the ones I prefer for these mounts, Warne, especially Mountain Tech, for Weaver-style.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I pretty much use them on all my rifles. Some have the redfield and some leupold.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

There we go. Nice looking set up.

I know you love some FF2.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The Redfield and Leupold versions with the rear that has the dual windage screws. Have some of those and hate them. I need to change the ones I still have out to something else.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use DD's, Warne slotted bases or picatinny with split rings any more.

Transitioned away from rear windage adjustable a long time ago.

If weight is an issue, I am not afraid to use Talley lightweights. Never had an issue with them.

Arcus Venator
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I don't *like* using them, but still do occasionally...I much prefer Talley LW's on hunting rifles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only potential downside for the Dual Dovetails can be using up too much windage in scope if the mounting holes on the receiver are a bit wonky for alignment.

With good alignment and receiver contact, they make a nice, clean, sturdy setup.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
These Leupold double dovetails have been on this Ruger round top for many years and have worked as intended. Sturdy and simple, could not ask for anything more.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SS336
These Leupold double dovetails have been on this Ruger round top for many years and have worked as intended. Sturdy and simple, could not ask for anything more.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Classy rig! 👍

Forbidden Zoner
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Consider the twist in mounts a terrible way to mount a scope. When you adjust rear windage you put torque on the scope tube that soon or later is relieved resulting in point of impact movement. If you are able to mount stress free they work but if there is any stress on the tube it can eventually be relieved by hot cold or jarring. They have been used widely for years . If you adjust rear windage there is no good way to determine if stress exist in the tube. I have mounted scope this way ,sighted in, thentapped the front ring with a hard plastic hammer and saw point of impact move. Love them if you like but expecting the scope tube to turn the front ring when rear windage scew is adjusted is a bad idea.
Sometimes the rifles so mounted are the ones that need resighted often. A good scope mounted correctly in a good bedded rifle should not need resighted unless ammunition is changed.I have rifles with other mount systems that have not needed resighting in 25 years. Good shooting.

Last edited by foogle; 09/25/22. Reason: Spelling

"We are building a dictatorship of relativism which recoqnizes nothing as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of ones own self ego and desires."Cardinal Rathzinger
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agreed on the twist-in fronts/windage adjustable rears.

People just don't understand what's really happening when they adjust the rear windage screws. Add to that the very small amount of contact between the sides of the rings and the windages screws and it's amazing they work as well as they do.

Good shootin'. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 38 invisible), 1,945 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,464
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.