Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Back in the day I used Leupold rings and bases. One of the rings twisted in a slot in the base. Are these used anymore?

BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I still use dual dovetails here and there. I think there’s better myself most of the time but for some they work well.

Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by beretzs
I still use dual dovetails here and there. I think there’s better myself most of the time but for some they work well.

Got them on my Kimber and a Bergara. 7-08 and 30-06, deer hunting so not really stressing anything too hard. They work fine.

Me

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Yep. Still made, prefer the dual turn in rings if I am forced to use them. I’ve switched everything to Talley bases and split rings. I have one bolt rifle with Leupold windage adjustable bases and rings. It’s a G 33/40 Mauser 30-06. I use weaver bases and Burris Signature Zee rings on 99’s.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Still use 'em

Although Burris with the plastic inserts worked better for me

Easily raise the scope rear & lower the front with the plus or minus inserts

No marred scope bodies...great idea !

Always liked the rear windage adjustable style

Most cases I'd never have to use internal scope windage to sight in

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1548177844?pid=165508

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Still use 'em

Question, can you use Leupold Dual Dovetail bases and Burris Rings with the inserts?

Semper Fi
J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'll probably be called a Leupold basher but I bought a pair for my 300 Weatherby in early August. I am disappointed with the quality of the rings. They seem "cheap" to me compared to other brands I have purchased recently. I also don't care for the logo on top of them. That said, I now have a little over 200 rounds on that set-up and they have been fine.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Still use 'em

Question, can you use Leupold Dual Dovetail bases and Burris Rings with the inserts?

Yes, but the Burris Signature rings for DD bases were hard to come by last time I was looking for a set.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I’ve pretty much moved to Leupold QR rings.

Last edited by navlav8r; 09/22/22.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Dual dovetails still work. There may be better choices too, but there are certainly a lot worse.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use them in place of older adjustable mounts for turretless scopes.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I use them on a lot of rifles. They work just fine.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Terryk
Back in the day I used Leupold rings and bases. One of the rings twisted in a slot in the base. Are these used anymore?

I used them most of the time unless I'm using a Talley one piece or a Picatinny rail. I prefer the dual dovetail setup with twist-in rings both front and rear over those with a twist-in ring in the front and a screw-adjustable rear after a period where I had a number of sets of the "standard" (front twist, rear adjustable) rings come loose in the rear. I think it was a manufacturing flaw as several friends had the same things happen at about the same time who had never had issues before.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Same answer.

NRA Patron
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dale06

Same answer.

I forgot to say, they look very good too.. Sometimes more fitting than other mounts/rings. Most of my pre 64 model 70's wear them. I like the sleek look. Have had a lot of other mounts and rings, but the DD's always seem to get the nod. You don't have schidt hanging over the ejection port, like you see with some mounts, they are rock solid. Many pluses to consider in my honest opinion.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I've had issues with the old school standard mounts. The windage screws are the weak point, so I avoid them at all costs. Recently sold off many sets because I knew I'd never use them on my rifles or any of my buddies rifles, so down the road they went. Made almost enough money to buy another rifle!!!!....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by T_O_M

I used them most of the time unless I'm using a Talley one piece or a Picatinny rail. I prefer the dual dovetail setup with twist-in rings both front and rear over those with a twist-in ring in the front and a screw-adjustable rear after a period where I had a number of sets of the "standard" (front twist, rear adjustable) rings come loose in the rear. I think it was a manufacturing flaw as several friends had the same things happen at about the same time who had never had issues before.

That’s why I switched to Talleys, no issues since I did.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I think you are refering to Redfield jr type mounts.

Front base was a dovetail and rear base had opposing screws.

That type of mount has caused many to think they had a scope problem as the mount tends to move.

If you have twist in dovetails both front and rear that would be a dual dovetail and is a better solution.

Currently some form of Weaver cross slot is the most popular for a durable solid mounting solution.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by dale06

Same answer.

I forgot to say, they look very good too.. Sometimes more fitting than other mounts/rings. Most of my pre 64 model 70's wear them. I like the sleek look. Have had a lot of other mounts and rings, but the DD's always seem to get the nod. You don't have schidt hanging over the ejection port, like you see with some mounts, they are rock solid. Many pluses to consider in my honest opinion.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I've had issues with the old school standard mounts. The windage screws are the weak point, so I avoid them at all costs. Recently sold off many sets because I knew I'd never use them on my rifles or any of my buddies rifles, so down the road they went. Made almost enough money to buy another rifle!!!!....

I'm kinda surprised that there's not a FF2 in that pic.

I, too, have a large tote filled with JR, STD, and DD bases and rings. Should get them listed. No chance at this point that I'd have any use for them.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

I think you are refering to Redfield jr type mounts.

Front base was a dovetail and rear base had opposing screws.

That type of mount has caused many to think they had a scope problem as the mount tends to move.

If you have twist in dovetails both front and rear that would be a dual dovetail and is a better solution.

Currently some form of Weaver cross slot is the most popular for a durable solid mounting solution.

Burns:

Do you have a preferred pic ring?

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by T_O_M

That’s why I switched to Talleys, no issues since I did.

I've always use a dab of blue locktight on the windage screws, never an issue. I boresight it at the same time and adjust the windage screws to center.

I have starting using talleys more and more though on the past few rifles.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
216 members (358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 31 invisible), 2,194 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,641
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.