Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I had to add to the post about the arrow heads Neal.
Digging is frowned on by the property owners, but goes
on anyways.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by poboy
Camp Ben McCulloch outside Austin was a reunion site
for Confederate Veterans of the area. Ben Mc is buried
at State Cemetery in Austin. Camp Ben on Onion Creek
is a really popular site for arrow head hunters.

I’ll have to find Camp Ben, the Onion Creek exit is a familiar landmark coming and going from Austin, all built up, I’m sure those Confederate Veterans wouldn’t recognize the place now.

Back to 1840....

There seems to have been a small number of men, skilled in arms, who enjoyed the rush of killing a man in a duel. Andrew Jackson, then age 33, killed one of these men, Charles Dickinson, in a duel in Kentucky in 1806. At age 26 Dickinson had already killed more than twenty men in duels.

His method was to insult a man, inciting a challenge. As the challenged party he got choice of weapons, his own pistols with which he was very fast and accurate,, dropping his opponent with a bullet in the heart every time.

This frequent dueling among earlier generations might have spawned the movie convention of the Old West gunfighter.

In the Jackson/Dickinson duel, Jackson used Dickinson’s marksmanship against him by wearing a large overcoat and inconspicuously twisting his torso so as to move his heart out of the way.

It worked, barely, Dickinson’s ball broke two of Jackson’s ribs and hit so close to his heart it could never be removed, paining him for life.

Jackson’s return shot misfired on the first attempt, at which time the Code Duello specified the duel was over until the next round. Jackson, likely believing himself mortally wounded, recocked the pistol, mortally wounding Dickinson on this second attempt.

Rueben Ross, leader of a gang of 200 mostly outlaws, appears to have been one of these killer/duelist figures.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
MONDAY AUGUST 10 continued.....

While couriers rushed about and forces mustered, Captain Tumlinson, now with a force of 160 men, continued his methodical trailing the Comanche force, awaiting an opportunity and seeking to be the anvil at such time the Comanches might be attacked from the front.

during the day on August 10, his 160 men found the Indians....

.....“drawn up in a very imposing line, upon the crest of a ridge, to our left. We make for them – they fly in disorder, man and beast, bag and baggage - their object is what we apprehended, to elude us by flight.”

The inferior horses ridden by most of Tumlinson’s command made swift pursuit impossible, however a few men, well mounted, were dispatched to the north. These men would be repeating Ben McCulloch’s task of the previous night but Tumlinson of course had no way of knowing if McCulloch had made it through.

One thing I do find interesting is how all the separate commands, widely scattered, seem to have arrived at the same conclusion that Plum Creek outside of present-day Lockhart but at the time sparsely settled, would the best location to confront the Comanches.

some of the fleeing Comanches dropped their plunder along the trail. Tumlinson ordered the Texans with the freshest horses to ride hard through the night to get ahead of the advancing Indians. The best option now seemed to move the men ahead who had the best horses and set up an ambush at Plum Creek.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Birdy,

Do something ( if you haven’t already) on Walker’s Creek fight. On the Pinta Trails crossing. Out here close to my new stomping grounds.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Have any of y’all read the Boy Captives? I believe that’s the title anyway.. it was about two brothers that got kidnapped by the Comanche and lived with them.

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by viking
Have any of y’all read the Boy Captives? I believe that’s the title anyway.. it was about two brothers that got kidnapped by the Comanche and lived with them.

Yes I have. Although there was good factual stuff in it, I felt on several occasions there was a bit of artistic license in the story. Concerns the Smith brothers taken in modern Comal county. One brother lived with Comanches, the other with Apaches.

I think a better book would be Herman Lehmann’s account of his captivity. His is pretty spot on and many of his accounts check out with additional sources. I know Birdy mentions him in his account earlier in the thread on James B. Gillett.

Founder

WS

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I thought it was interesting nonetheless.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by viking
I thought it was interesting nonetheless.

Oh yes!!! No doubt

Founder

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Birdy,

Do something ( if you haven’t already) on Walker’s Creek fight. On the Pinta Trails crossing. Out here close to my new stomping grounds.

What? Have you been reading Fehrenbach again? 🙂

Never mind him, that was all in 1844, just now it’s 1840.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 1840’s marked a high point for the Comanches, 20,000 strong. But even then they didn’t have it all their own way, not even in their home range, a number of tribes customarily raiding into Comancheria on foot, returning with Comanche scalps on Comanche horses.

What drove the Comanches to the negotiating table at the Council House in 1840 was the exploding immigration of Americans into Texas, that flood of extra people we call the “Frontier”.

1836- 30,000 Americans, 1840- 70,000 Americans, 1842- 100,000 Americans, 1860- 600,000 Americans in Texas.

Buffalo Hump, age about 40 in 1840, apparently the chief organizer of the raid, had already met with Texas officials in 1838, would do so again in 1843, these Comanche delegations always trying to fix a permanent line of settlement.

If most American freebooters in Texas in 1840 were turning their attention to the ongoing Mexican Civil War along the Border to the tune of organized forces of hundreds of men going there, so was this Comanche raid, except working for the other side, specifically hitting Victoria and Linnville, home of the Mexican Federalists in exile.

During the 1840’s, the Comanches, including Buffalo Hump, went on to launch devastating, bloody raids into Mexico on a massive scale, on at least one occasion being supplied with cattle on the way down by none other than Jack Hays hisself.

Buffalo Hump continued to treat with the Texans and their burgeoning population impinging from the East, recognizing the inevitable, playing for time. Meeting with US negotiators in 1846, concluding a lasting peace treaty with the Hill Country Germans in ‘47, and actually guiding a US/Texan party across Texas to El Paso in 1849. This is where Buffalo Hump became acquainted with Ranger Captain John Salmon Ford.

What’s notable in that 1849 expedition is that the party was encountering Comanches that had still never seen a White man.

That winter of ‘49, catastrophe struck, the ‘49ers rushing to California seeded cholera across the plains, about half the tribe, 10,000 Comanches perished. Buffalo Hump caught it too but survived.

After the massive die off further catastrophe struck in the form of a major drought, both buffalo and cattle perished in droves, Buffalo Hump and his band finally accepting a small reservation in Texas around 1856.

Somewhere in the middle of all this Buffalo Hump, hearing that Jack Hays’ wife in California had given birth to their first child, sent them an engraved silver cup.

The Brazos Reserve didn’t last, Buffalo Hump removed to the Indian Territory along with the other Indians on that reserve when they were kicked out in ‘58.

The last we hear of Buffalo Hump was in 1858, when Ranger Captain Ford led an expedition of 90 Rangers and 100 Tonkawa allies against Buffalo Hump’s band in the Wichita Mountains.

The circumstances of Buffalo Hump’s actual demise are unknown, sometime before 1867, by which time the last free remnants of the Comanches and Kiowas up on the Panhandle had of necessity largely switched to a pastoralist economy, herding horses and cattle.

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 09/20/22.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Birdy,

Just an addendum; Buffalo Hump’s own cousin, Yellow Wolf was along on the Great Raid. Whereas Buffalo Hump at least attempted to negotiate with the Texians and later the US, Yellow Wolf remained
unremittingly hostile throughout.

Which might explain why it would be Yellow Wolf who it was said opposed Jack Hays along the Guadaloupe River in those famous 1844 fights.

It was always hazardous being a Comanche, even a major War Chief. Yellow Wolf suffered a fatal encounter with a hunting party of Lipan Apaches in 1854.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Monday August 10 continued......

Gonzales must have been a remarkable place in 1840, or maybe the sort of people that first settled frontiers were remarkable.

Residing in the little town itself you had people ranging from the likes of the McCulloch brothers all the way down to the lethal Rueben Ross. Texas was a rough neighborhood for a long time, the Indians being but a part of the problem and an increasingly insignificant one as time went by.

By the numbers, the biggest threat to Texians was other Texians, a lot of rough characters running loose. Four years earlier, right before the siege of the Alamo, Captain Almeron Dickinson had brought his young wife Susanna and their infant child Angelina to the Alamo for her own safety from Gonzales after a band of American outlaws had roughed her up and plundered their farmstead.

One of the notable Gonzales men, a good guy, was Mathew “Old Paint” Caldwell. The relative youth of the Texas population at that time might be inferred from Caldwell’s “Old Paint” moniker, applied to a guy who was just 42.

In the same way, if there had been a Moses Rose who was the only guy to opt to escape from the Alamo, it was likely one Louis Rose, a French guy in his fifties, called “Moses” by the others on account of his age.

It seems likely that Caldwell was afflicted with vitiligo although we are told the nickname came from his unusually colored beard. He must have been a dynamic character, his name comes up as the “go to” guy in the accounts of his peers.

On Monday the 10th, Caldwell was west of Gonzales leading 32 men, having assumed like most everyone else that the Comanches would follow usual practice and escape by a different route from where they came in. Riders sent out to recall him would find him that day in Seguin.

Caldwell was one of those guys who’s life demonstrates the precariousness of a life in those days even without Comanches or outlaws. He lost his first wife, mother of his three children, when he was thirty five. Caldwell himself passed away at home in 1842, at just 44 years of age, cause of death not given.

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 09/22/22.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
It seems likely that Caldwell was afflicted with impetigo although we are told the nickname came from his unusually colored beard. He must have been a dynamic character, his name comes up as the “go to” guy in the accounts of his peers.

I wonder if the author meant "vitiligo."

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Please use Buffalo Hump’s true name 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 when referring to him! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

No extracurricular reading here Birdy. Was just reading up on the Walker creek fight as it was a local thang around here. Well fairly local.

Founder

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by plumbum
It seems likely that Caldwell was afflicted with impetigo although we are told the nickname came from his unusually colored beard. He must have been a dynamic character, his name comes up as the “go to” guy in the accounts of his peers.

Indeed I did, tks. Changed it in the original. my free time on the Fire is if I wake up early, didn’t take the time to Google it.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
What was Buffalo Hump's real name. I did read that some of the Indians had "dirty" names. But then the book wouldn't say what the names were.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by plumbum

Indeed I did, tks. Changed it in the original. my free time on the Fire is if I wake up early, didn’t take the time to Google it.

Nice read, anyways, and thanks for posting. 👍

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
What was Buffalo Hump's real name. I did read that some of the Indians had "dirty" names. But then the book wouldn't say what the names were.

His real name translates out to something like “walking erection” or “He who is always erect”. And it wasn’t in reference to his posture. 😉

Founder

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So the guy’s name properly translates to “Hard On” or something like that. I gotta observe tho, it musta took exceptional men on either side of this conflict to inspire 100+ men to follow them at a time when all could come and go as they pleased.

There was a Comanche leader of that era, an older guy called “Amorous Man” which is open to translation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amorous_Man

Same year, 1840, a Comanche was born somewhere to the west who, thirty-four years later, would create bullet-proof medicine for the warriors attacking Adobe Walls. Isa-Tai, which popular history has it translates to “Coyote A$$hole”.

The medicine didn’t work, but Isa-Tai did go on to a notable career in Tribal elections on the reservation. Maybe politicians and some medicine men were similar sorts of people.

The fact that Comanche hostility wouldn’t end for another thirty-four years after 1840 is also notable. I dunno of any other tribe able to hold out that long.

Edited to add: Actually I do, the enigmatic Kickapoo, originally of the 18th Century Ohio Country who never made any treaties with the Whites but who did administer a sound drubbing to a joint Texas and Confederate force. Dove Creek 1864.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Also heard it translated out to “Coyote Vagina”. 🤣 suppose same general area.

Founder

WS

Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 56 invisible), 3,345 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,297
Posts18,468,035
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.