Print Thread
Hop To
K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
A few months ago I walked into the LGS not really looking for anything in particular. When I spied this VLS on the used rack. Most of the ones I've seen around here have all been 22-250 or 243. I was surprised to see it in .223. It was used but appeared to have been fired very little. I wanted it, however the shop had 1299$ on the rifle. Too high IMO. So I asked the shop owner about trades. Long story short....I had a LNIB CZ527 in 22hornet that I offered up and he agrees to trade straight across. Which was great because I only had 668$ in the CZ. So the trade was made and both of us were happy.

I couldn't wait to get home and get a scope mounted and to see if this thing would shoot. It didn't take long to realize that no matter what bullet you put into it, that it was gonna shoot it. So I went ahead and upgraded to an 8oz Timney over the factory walker, and pulled my old 14x Burris off in favor of a new Tract Toric 4-20x50. Something tells me that I got the better end of the deal. It has become my favorite little paper puncher.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice! Those rifles really are tough to beat.

My father still has his older gloss-blue Varmint Special .223 that we rebedded in a VLS beavertail stock like that (Leupold straight 12x on top). It's a stunner with 55gr Sierra HPBT or 50gr V-Max.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like you found yourself a gemstone.

👍🏼 🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Looks like a great shooting gun to me, congrats

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Gawd....back when rifle companies made interesting rifles.....

I am MAGA.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ky221,
Beautiful and extremely accurate.
I've been shooting a friends in .22-250.First 3 shots I took clover leafed.
You won't be sorry.
Are you going hunt coyotes,grounhogs or punch paper with it. Lazer accurate, almost boring!
Good looking and picture perfect.
Enjoy it.
Soup

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
My wife gave me a Varmint Model 243 for Christmas’73. A few years ago I replaced the factory stock with one exactly like the one pictured above. It still shoots great with everything from 75 Sierra to 100 grain Partition loads that I worked up with IMR 7977 last year for deer.

Looks like you got the best end of the deal by far.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Soup
Ky221,
Beautiful and extremely accurate.
I've been shooting a friends in .22-250.First 3 shots I took clover leafed.
You won't be sorry.
Are you going hunt coyotes,grounhogs or punch paper with it. Lazer accurate, almost boring!
Good looking and picture perfect.
Enjoy it.
Soup

I don't shoot chucks anymore, and have much lighter rifles for coyotes. This is strictly a paper puncher and steel banger.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, it looks like a great shooter and I'd be shickled titless with it.

I once had a 700 Classic in .223, the Y2K issue, and it shot like that. Gorgeous rifle. One day it wouldn't shoot like that anymore and I couldn't figure out why. It went down the road and there was a procession of .223s that came and went. Cost me plenty, too. It finally dawned on me that I had screwed with my sizing die (I think it had something to do with an AR15 or two) and that was why my accuracy had gone to shit.

What I ended up with was a Model 70 HV, and I think it may be the most accurate rifle I've ever owned. It wasn't all for naught, but I'd sure like to have that 700 Classic back again.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Got one of those I bought new back in the late 90s... Its barrel is a real high miler, but most of that has been Blue Dot loads or similar.

I quit keeping a round count about 10 years or so ago. But back then it was a ways PAST 30K down the barrel.

It still does minute of sage rat at 200 yds and under, with Blue Dot loads.

If the barrel ever gets to where its throat is shot out, I'll just have the barrel shortened and rechambered.

Its been a tack driver since day one.

I have taken off the laminate stock, but kept it in a trunk with other stocks like that I have saved.

it was replaced with a Hogue Rubber Stock.. I know most people don't care for them, but I do, as I don't have to worry about the stock getting banged up like the Laminate one can, when in rough duty service.

Most of the time the ol gal has been shot off the hood of an 88 4 Runner, I've had since it was new back in Sept 87.

it has a lot more rounds down the tube, out in the field, than off the bench down at the rifle range.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Ky221: Outsatanding!
Both the "deal" on your Rifle and your accuracy with it.
Good for you.
In the last 25+ years I have bought for myself and recommended to a couple dozen other Varmint Hunters these Remington 700 VLS Rifles.
I have as yet to find or hear of one of these VLS Rifles that shoots poorly, accuracy wise!
Like Seafire, I, shoot my Remington 700 VLS in 223 Remington almost exclusively at Varmints anymore. But my shooting log shows my VLS in 223 Remington shoots nearly as well as yours - and that is much appreciated by me.
Enjoy your outstanding deal/Rifle - and don't let anyone try to talk you into shortening that barrel!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Woe is me over the loss of Remington Arms Corporation - a once fine American company!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everyone I’ve run into have shot really good. I bought a 40x in 223. A friend bought a VS IN 223. We really could not tell much difference in how they shot. The 40x came with a 1/4 inch 5 shot test target. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Had one of those rifles and sold it to a friend. It was very accurate.

NRA Patron
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I have the same rifle but in 6mmRem. It is a wonderfully accurate rifle. In fact it is so accurate it became boring and I’ve started playing with lighter loads just to spice it up. Remington nailed it with those rifles. You definitely got the best end of the deal.

Experience is something you get, just after you needed it.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
LowBC: This thread has calmed down enough, I think, for me to inquire of you about your 6m/m Remington VLS loads.
Over a year ago I stumbled upon a used (but as new!) Remington 700 VLS in 6m/m Remington caliber.
I scoped it up (with a Leupold 6.5x20 variable) but haven't had a chance to do load development with it yet - could I prevail upon you to give me one or two of your most accurate loadings.
Thanks in advance.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Hi there VG. I have mine scoped with a Sightron 8-32x56 which is far more glass than I need, but it works great. The load that I shot mostly was 48grains of RL22 behind 100 grain Sierra Gamekings, 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips and 95 grain bergers. That powder and those weight projectiles just seemed to gel. The gamekings and nbts were like the hammer of Thor on pigs when head shooting them. Definitely not a walk around rifle for me, but with a bipod I always felt super confident with this rifle in the field. Interestingly the hornady interlock whilst accurate enough, seemed to generate more pressure with that load so I didn’t bother with them. Hope that helps.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
LowBC: Thank you very much for the load/data and suggestions.
It is much appreciated - the only bullet you mentioned that I have on hand is the 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips so will start there with those - and I have "ONE" pound of the hard to find RL-22 to my name.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
You're welcome. Please send me a pm with how it goes. I hope she is a shooter like mine. I rate the 6mm Rem, shame it has kind of become obsolete.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great rifles... I've had 3 over the years including a 223, 22-250, and 6mm Rem. All of them were superb shooters; and like a dummy I sold all three. Wish I had them back.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
420 members (280shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1_deuce, 55 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,723
Posts18,400,590
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.