Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Also heard it translated out to “Coyote Vagina”. 🤣 suppose same general area.

Yep. I remember reading that somewhere, too, Bob.

Also read that he and Quanah Parker didn’t like each other at all.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
BP-B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Old Chief Walking Erection, huh? He left the squaws with a smile on their face.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Google has it that after the debacle at Adobe Walls Isa-Tai blamed a Cheyenne for having killed a skunk and breaking his bullet-proof medicine.

Whereupon the Cheyenne’s, PO’d, started calling him by the derogatory term “Coyote Vagina”.

Some things get lost in translation.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
"The Life of Billy Dixon has good account of Adobe Walls.
He was a Buffalo hunter with tools and know-how for sniping.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Great thread!

Thanks Birdie and Kaywoodie and everyone else for their contributions. I’ve been quietly following along and I look forward to each installment. When I was a young boy every Sunday was family dinner day. After mom got done playing the organ and acting as choir director for 3+ services she’d get home around 12-12:30 and begin cooking for the 7 of us in my immediate family plus my 4 grandparents and usually a friend of mine. After dinner my dad’s dad would start talking history and I was enthralled. I’d sip my coffee (I was a lucky kid and I promise it did NOT stunt my growth) and listen intently, hanging on every word grandpa said. He was especially focused on the civil war but his ability at recall amazed me. Grandpa was educated at Rutgers and went to law school there as well so education was big for him as was being in the proper social circles. I still miss those hours and hours of grandpa chain smoking, talking history and drinking coffee. I absorbed more in those Sunday suppers than I learned all through high school. Those early years were so informative, I’ve been an avid history buff ever since.

Thanks to all that have contributed here. This thread has been a comforting reminder of wonderful days gone by….I can almost smell the leg of lamb and pork roast mixed with cigarette smoke and fresh coffee from the percolator (the good stuff for company).😁

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by poboy
"The Life of Billy Dixon has good account of Adobe Walls.
He was a Buffalo hunter with tools and know-how for sniping.

Another good read, too.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Google has it that after the debacle at Adobe Walls Isa-Tai blamed a Cheyenne for having killed a skunk and breaking his bullet-proof medicine.

Whereupon the Cheyenne’s, PO’d, started calling him by the derogatory term “Coyote Vagina”.

Seems like I read somewhere that he and Quanah Parker were opposing factions once they were on the Rez, too.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K

Seemz there was a lot of dissension between the Cheyenne and Comanches before this battle. I believe the majority of the Cheyenne chiefs and all really wanted nothing to do with the affair. Isn’t that correct??? Been a long time since reading anything on it.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
One has to tread carefully when discussing Tribal events and politics, there’s the Indian version, and then again there’s the White guy version which may or may not match. Here’s a White guy version.

The gist is by the summer of 1874 the Comanches were in crisis. Those who wanted to try and move to the agency and those who wanted to fight, the latter camp including many young men.

Seeking spiritual mojo the radical camp put on their first-ever sun dance that year. After that opinions were divided where to go next. Quanah wanted to go against the remnants of the hated Tonkawa, he got outvoted.

So they went against the Buffalo Hunters at Adobe Walls and lost maybe 30 guys in that fight. the rest of the Indians, possibly up to hundreds, then fanned out and wreaked havoc elsewhere.

However they felt about each other before Adabe Walls, Quanah and Isa tai did become rival politicians later on the reservation.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I was trying to remember what George Bent told in his later narrative. He was there or around area at least.

Founder

WS

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Coyote considered bad luck and or trickster and the vagina considered a derogatory name for a male - that's hilarious.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Still on Monday, August 10th, four days after the initial alarm. Gonzales.....

While he waited the return of Captain Caldwel Ben McCulloch assisted the Gonzalez citizens in raising another volunteer company. Captain James Bird was elected to command the 30 additional Gonzales volunteers. Among those now in his number were Ben McCulloch, and his brother Henry McCulloch.

Henry McCullough was five years younger than his older brother Ben, and was 24 years old at the time of these events. A few months prior to the raid Henry had confronted and shot the lethal Ruben Ross.

Henry would live to the ripe old age of 78 years old, in his later years becoming a much valued source on historical events in early Texas. A number of his letters on this topic survive but it may be significant that apparently none of all describe the circumstances of his killing of Ross.

It could be there were still Ross descendants/partisans around, or maybe he had just up and shot Ross outside of a duel setting, either way going up against the deadly outlaw leader was no small thing.

No surprise then....

As Captain Bird was gathering his volunteers, Henry McCullough set out to scout for the Comanches. He rode out to Big Hill, 14 miles east of Gonzales, to view the passing cavalcade. He saw them pass and noted Captain Tumlinson’s pursuit party still in tow. McCulloch then rode hard to alert his brother and Captain Bird.

It always struck me how much nerve it took to ride out fifteen miles by yourself towards a high prominence overlooking the route of possibly a thousand hostile Indians. I woulda figured there’d be Indians up there for the same reason.

The fact that there weren’t might indicate how careless and overconfident the Comanches had become.

Someday I shall have to go and locate this high hill. Not as easy to find today, the country was far more open back then, live oak prairie with strips of woodlands along the watercourses.

Just ten days later Henry McCulloch got married in Gonzales, a Kentucky girl, him and his wife had twelve kids, opened a mercantile business in Seguin.

He did remain exceptional on the Frontier, like his brother Ben noted for his skill at tracking, they both musta hung out with those same Choctaws in their youth.

1847, as a Ranger Captain, Henry McCulloch would establish a Ranger Station way up in Burnet County. Likely he was filling in for the likes of his brother and Jack Hays who at that time were down in Mexico for that war.

This Ranger Station was shortly taken over by the Feds and renamed Fort Croghan (??). 1847 that location was way out there, but by 1852 the place was already obsolete and abandoned, indicating just how fast Texas was settling up.

In his 40’s, as a Brigadier General for the Confederacy, Henry McCulloch commanded Texas cavalry both on the Texas Frontier, Arkansas and as far east as the Vicksburg campaign.

He’s surprisingly obscure in popular Texas history today, maybe we just had too many remarkable guys back then. One wishes he had written a book.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Then there was the thing that happened on May 19 1836.

The Fall of Fort Parker,lots of folks died and some were never found after being hauled off by one indian band or another.

This is when the Parkers,Plummbers,Nixons Falulkenberrys Anglins and others lives were changed forever.

The Parkers are the wife's folks.

They were tough folks back then but sometimes they did not think things out very well.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Then there was the thing that happened on May 19 1836.

The Fall of Fort Parker,lots of folks died and some were never found after being hauled off by one indian band or another.

This is when the Parkers,Plummbers,Nixons Falulkenberrys Anglins and others lives were changed forever.

The Parkers are the wife's folks.

They were tough folks back then but sometimes they did not think things out very well.

The massacre at Parker’s Fort was a typical example of Indian brutality, old Granny Parker in particular surviving being raped repeatedly while pinned to the ground by a lance.

I think I wrote earlier What’s not usually mentioned is that the fort was also a staging area for expeditions against the Indians and according to Moore the source of at least one attempt to infect the Indians with smallpox.

How much of that was known to what has been described as a mixed group of Comanche and Waco teenagers sacking the fort that day I dunno.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
"In his 40’s, as a Brigadier General for the Confederacy, Henry McCulloch commanded Texas cavalry both on the Texas Frontier, Arkansas and as far east as the Vicksburg campaign."

My gggrandfather John Franklin Guthrie jr. Served in “A” company (Captain Fry’s co) McCulloch’s Frontier Rifle Battalion. Enlisted at Webberville in April 1861. Seved til the following July’62.

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
"This Ranger Station was shortly taken over by the Feds and renamed Fort Croghan (??). 1847 that location was way out there, but by 1852 the place was already obsolete and abandoned, indicating just how fast Texas was settling up."

Ft. Croghan is in Burnet county. Matter of fact just above Hamilton Creek in the current city of Burnet. When you drop by sometime we can go over there. Old reenacting bud is a docent there.

Founder

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
"This Ranger Station was shortly taken over by the Feds and renamed Fort Croghan (??). 1847 that location was way out there, but by 1852 the place was already obsolete and abandoned, indicating just how fast Texas was settling up."

Ft. Croghan is in Burnet county. Matter of fact just above Hamilton Creek in the current city of Burnet. When you drop by sometime we can go over there. Old reenacting bud is a docent there.

Durn it, I thought I wrote Burnet County, my fingers musta wrote otherwise. I corrected the original.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K

Durn it, I thought I wrote Burnet County, my fingers musta wrote otherwise. I corrected the original.

LOL! It’s ok. They right next to each other. Matter of fact back 115 acres here on the place is in Burnet co!

Founder

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Birdue& Woodie, can you guys shed some light on the Seminole Scouts? The reason I ask, is there's a cemetery in Fort Clark where a lot of them are buried, quite a few recipients of the MOH. We always get up a working party and clean up the graves.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I always stop in Burnet to get me a Storm’s Special Hamburger. Triple Meat, Triple Cheese, and large fries. 🤠

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
651 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 76 invisible), 2,734 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,650
Posts18,399,153
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.