Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Have tag for an upcoming black powder elk hunt here in Idaho. A whole new thing for me, have never shot any game with BP. Have a choice of two rifles to use, a 50 cal. Cabelas 20" carbine, or another Italian made rifle with a 28" barrel. Is there much velocity loss with the shorter barrel ?
Also will be using either Thompson mini ball ,350 grain, or also have some Buffalo bullet 385's. and either FFG, or pyrodex. And where do I find load data ?
Thanks.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'd chose the short barrel. ML hunting is in close 100 yards or less. A load will be between 80 and 100 gr of either. Whatever shoots best, You will have to work out that load by trail and error. You want a nice crack,not a boom when it goes off.

Search Google for Hodgon black powder loading data

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Go with real black if you can. It will be a bit more reliable with ignition with the caplocks. I would use whatever muzzy you shoot best. The carbine will be easier to pack, the Investarms will have a bit more velocity. Enough for an elk to tell the difference? Probably not. Biggest rule with muzzys is, if you don’t have time to properly clean them after shooting, don’t shoot them.

I would use 80-90 gr of 2f with your bullets choice. Neither one will bounce off. Keep your shots 100 yards and in and you’ll be fine.

Good luck on your hunt!

Todd

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
That 80-100gr is by volume, not weight

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use load data from this manual for my TC Hawkin. BP is a lot of fun.

https://www.tcarms.com/pdfs/uploads/manuals/Hawken_Manual.pdf

Last edited by centershot; 08/26/22.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I think I'd keep the powder to 80 gr with the short barrel. I have 5 investarms rifles, and don't think there is a lot of advantage with more than 80 grains, in the carbine. I would also consider an over powder wad with that 385 gr. bullet.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I totally agree with the real BP powder recommendation. Flashpoint is much lower than Pyrodex which in all my percussion and flinter experience = faster and more reliable ignition.

I also agree that muzzy hunting in less than a 100 yard game (ideally <50 yards). I don't know the terrain or vegetation where you're hunting, but I would likely opt for the longer barrel if only for the longer sight radius. That's primarily because I have poor eyesight and have a self-imposed max range of 75 yards. The slight increase in velocity would be an added benefit.

As for bullets, my recommendation is the heaviest, hardest, lead conical bullet and heaviest charge you can handle accurately on a repeatable basis. I was blessed to have taken two muzzy elk in the past two years. First was with a .54 flinter at 42 yards. T/C 360-gr Maxi-Ball atop felt wad and 110-gr FFFg Goex. (I like the finer granulation.) Double lunged the bull but bullet did not exit although somewhat mushroomed. Elk still ran ~80 yards. Recovered on the off-side just inside the hide.

The second was a T/C .50 cal 320-gr Maxi-Ball atop 100 grains of FFFg. Complete pass-through, double lunger at 70 yards broadside.

For what it's worth, although they're tough to find, the Max-Balls are cast harder that the Maxi-Hunters.

Also, please make sure you have a tight fit once loaded. During a long day's hunt, the conical can slip off the powder charge and make for a dangerous pressure situation. From my experience, periodically gently re-seat the bullet throughout the day. I was pleased with the tight fit and improved accuracy by 'wrapping' the conical with teflon tape. However, that's a function of your bore diameter and depth of rifling.

Hope I didn't bore you. Good luck and happy hunting.

Attached Images
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
When I was young and tougher, I loaded 110-120 gr of BP and killed elk . Now not so tough, I load 80 grains.Elk still die just the same

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/26/22.

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Thanks for all the comments. Shot yesterday at 55 yds. Using the carbine and 70 gr. FFG, first two shots touching just left of bullseye, 3rd shot 6" to right of first two, 4th shot ,8" to right of first two.
Have to go out and try again, figure it out. That was with 350 gr TC maxi hunters. Going to try the 385 gr Buffalo bullets next time, and maybe some triple F.
Shot the other longer barreled rifle , about a 8" 3 shot group, same load , so not very good. Was more pleasant to shoot , that little carbine kicks some.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Deleted. see below

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/27/22.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I would swab after each shot . Elk hunting you will most likely be shooting a clean barrel. 2nd shot will probably be closer if any is needed. Windex works just as well as any commercial BP bore cleaner. I wet a few patches and stick them in a camera film canister and some dry ones in another for hunting. My experience has been with a 2nd shot and you know the animal was hit hard. Sit down to wait 15-30 minutes and while waiting, swab the bore and reload.You don't want to reload with a fouled bore and stick a bullet 12/ way down at such a time.

I also carry some ethanol in camp . If I shoot during the day, I clean the rifle that evening, dry patch then run an ethanol patch down the barrel to make sure all moisture is out. Another dry patch, reload and then run a bore butter patch down the barrel .You do not want a petroleum based cleaner/ lube use in the bore with BP or Pyrodex. It will build up carbon.

You might also look at 370 gr TC Maxiballs for your bullet. Lubed with any of the popular bore lubricants. I always used Bore Butter, but many will work as well

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
saddlesore is right. You'll get the best consistency swabbing between shots. I've used the 370 gr Maxi-Ball out of a 20" barrel muzzy on elk. It worked great. You might consider putting a musket cap nipple on your gun. They run a lot hotter than a #11 cap and will give you a little insurance that you'll get good ignition. I've never had a misfire with one. I always use a felt wad on top of the powder when shooting lead conicals. I think it helps with consistency, but I can't say I've measured groups with and without it. It may help keep your powder dry in wet weather as well.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
What unit is your hunt?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

139 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,461 guests, and 831 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,577
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.