Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm headed to camp next month for a NB moose. It's an any moose, freezer filler hunt, but the first time I've drawn since 1996. Can't wait.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have shot moose with a bunch of different CF bullet/cartridge combinations from 270 with 130gr Speer to 375AI with 270gr X bullets, including two Whelen AIs and a regular Whelen. Years ago I settled on a 30-06 and light TTSXs. My first moose died from a 22LR behind the ear.

The last thing to worry about is the cartridge. The first thing is the bullet, closely followed by placement.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
TheKid Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Well I have 130 Etips loaded up in the 270Wby, and I have no doubt they’ll do the job having killed a bunch of elk and other stuff with them.

The Whelen is zeroed with 250 Partitions at 2600fps and I’m more than sure it’ll work too.

The 30/06 is a coated XTR Featherweight in a Brown Pounder. I have a box of 165 Hornadys loaded for it but I think I have a box of 168TSX on the shelf I could probably load up and get zeroed in the next couple days if I wanted to bad enough.

I bet any of them will work fine. Just more minutiae to make getting ready part of the adventure

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by TheKid
I’m trying to get excited about the moose hunt I’ve had planned for a year now. Deaths in the family and other catastrophes have put a damper on my enthusiasm. My hunting partner had a health emergency and had to drop out on me, he’s still sending camp down for me and got all the groceries together and I’ve talked my dad into going with me. We’re going to make the best of it and hopefully have a good trip. It’ll be good to have an adventure with the old man.

I’ve made some progress getting my clothes and gear together. Still on the fence about which rifle I’m taking, have the 35 Whelen, 270Wby, and a 30/06 all zeroed and waiting with their ammo,, probably end up being a last minute decision.

Hunting a 50”/4 brow tine unit, which I’m not wild about but it’s getting harder to find a 3 tine or any bull unit. Hopefully I’ll see one of the unmistakable over 50” bulls to make that an easy decision.

Dad has no interest in shooting a moose, he’ll buy a wolf tag just in case. I think my trip would be a success if he got one even if I don’t get a chance at a bull.

I bought a couple new pack rods and we’ll both pick up a fishing license. Hopefully we can catch plenty of grayling for suppers.

Good news is our transporter has a very high success rate, he only flys 3 pairs moose hunters a year. So maybe we can keep up the good work.

Less than two weeks until we’re wheels up. Anybody else going?

Didn't draw anywhere in the western states this year, so decided to treat myself before I get too old....Headed to NFLD this year for moose... driving up, taking the ferry and will visit upstate New York on the return... Using my 308 with 165 Nosler Ballistic tips.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I have shot moose with a bunch of different CF bullet/cartridge combinations from 270 with 130gr Speer to 375AI with 270gr X bullets, including two Whelen AIs and a regular Whelen. Years ago I settled on a 30-06 and light TTSXs. My first moose died from a 22LR behind the ear.

The last thing to worry about is the cartridge. The first thing is the bullet, closely followed by placement.
I've killed two Montana Shiras moose. Each died quickly from a 180 grain Partition from my .30 Gibbs.

I had a friend and my two horses to pack out my first Bull, but only my horses to pack out the second bull. Those hunts were also 30+ years ago.

Several years ago I went on a Newfoundland Moose and Caribou hunt. The rifle that I took was my 7 mm RM with 160 grain Accubond bullets. Unfortunaly the only Moose that we say that I might have shot was not in my Moose area. The bulls that we saw in my Moose area I thought were too small to shoot. We didn't see a single Caribou.

Last year I had a Moose and Brown Bear hunt booked in Alaska. I shot my Brown Bear the first morning, but we didn't see any moose.

This year I have a Moose hunt booked in Northern Alberta, but Canada still has that stupid Vax requirement for Americans entering Canada, so my outfitter agreed to pospone my hunt to next year.

Last edited by buffybr; 08/26/22.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

IC B2

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Yes. Going to Alberta this year. Did drop camp in AK past two years. Had great times but no moose were harmed in the making of those adventures. Plan to do some waterfowling after the moose chase.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Good luck. My moose hunting days are probably over, but if I draw another Wy. tag, I will sure give it a go.

Molon Labe
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I’ll be moose hunting next week…After 11 year of applying I finally drew here in Idaho over by Spencer/Island Park.

May be hot next weekend but I don’t care - I’m going hunting!!!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Kid,

I hope you enjoy your hunt and time with your dad. I didn’t grow up hunting and started once I was on my own. Spent over a decade in AK. with the military and moose camp was to me what so many experience with deer or elk camps. Best friends and always an adventure! Endless adventures. Timeless memories.

Hiaring8, wish you luck too bud! Special tag there!

Bob

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
A few weeks and I will be in moose hunting mode. 100+ miles by boat and I am hunting.

IC B3

T
TheKid Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Talked with the transporter yesterday evening. He’s got a spot picked out and waiting for us. Just depends on the weather and airlines now.

Good luck to everyone else headed out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a Dalton North archery tag, though I will try in the any bull harvest ticket units locally as well. I plan to take a week at the end of the month off for the Dalton tag. We'll see how it goes. Good luck...

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Well, my moose hunting was short lived...I was able to harvest this nice bull on the second morning I was up. I was by myself and the days got hot quick so I was fortunate to find this bull just a couple hundred yards away from where I could get a truck too. 265 yard shot with the old 7 mag and a 150 scenar. Center punched the lungs - he took 5 steps and tumble over. For the next 4 hours, I have never worked so hard in my life. I shot him around 7 am...I had the 4 quarters off, backstraps and tenderloins out, and the head off by 9:45 ish. By that time, a couple friends I had called made it up to me from town. We got the meat packed in the truck and cruised into town to get the meat hanging in a meat locker by noon...It was a whirlwind of a day, but man what an awesome experience.

The only crappy thing being by myself - I didn't get the best pics as all I could do is try to position my phone on my pack, but none the less, I loved every minute of it. He taped out at 36.5" at widest point and mostly still in Velvet.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Nice. Congrats!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well what more than I can say...well done!

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Excellent.

Molon Labe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Congrats. I see you have the whole head. I assume you noticed that a moose head gets dang heavy after 100 yards? After the 1st time I packed out an elk head, I started carrying a saw. Only the antlers come out since I never had plans for a whole head mount.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Congrats hiaring8. Good to see some meat being put away.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TheKid
Talked with the transporter yesterday evening. He’s got a spot picked out and waiting for us. Just depends on the weather and airlines now.

Good luck to everyone else headed out.

How'd the hunt go, Mate ???????

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
T
TheKid Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Between the weather and family crisis it was a low grade disaster. Caught some beautiful spawning char and huge grayling. Shot some of the very plentiful ptarmigan that were around. But otherwise ended up pulling the plug early to come home mooseless. Not the worst trip I’ve been on but certainly not what I’d call a good one.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (Akhutr, 10gaugemag, Anaconda, 6MMWASP, AdventureBound, 338reddog, 5 invisible), 1,619 guests, and 796 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,201
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.