T
I used some Winchester 64gr bonded bullet and got patterns as well/

Camp is where you make it.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
In Washington state, nothing smaller than 6mm for dear.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ScottyLTD

I know theres a lot of gun violence in WA, but what are you allowed to use for hunting deer?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe

I know theres a lot of gun violence in WA, but what are you allowed to use for hunting deer?
There's.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
On the other end, is a 300 Winchester mag too much for killing a deer?

Last edited by saddlesore; 09/23/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

There's.

Touche' !!! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
On the other end a 300 Winchester mag too much for killing a deer?
Way over penetrates.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

There's.

Touche' !!! laugh
Imagine, if you will, a forum entitled Dear Hunting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
On the other end a 300 Winchester mag too much for killing a deer?
I shot a couple of does with the 300 one year expecting long range (for me) shots. The first doe was about 20 feet. The second was much closer. It seemed to work ok. Didn’t retrieve the bullet so I’m not sure. 😬

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
The only time I would deer hunt with a 223/556 is if I had nothing else to use.

Will it work? I’m sure it would. However, I believe there are far better options.
Originally Posted by vabowhntr
Since I live in VA and we can’t use 22 cal centerfires for deer, I will have to take out my much more powerful 300 blk bolt action ruger American ranch. It does very well with the 110 gr Barnes at 2350 fps.

But yes. I wish I could use a 223.
I’m working with a Ruger 300 BKO. What’s your best 110 TAC load?

DF

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A little over 40 years ago we used a .243 Win and 22-250 on mule deer. Erratic results were experienced to say the least. My stepdad at the time always over estimated distance and swore a person could hold dead on a deer out to 400 yards with the .243 and DRT. It was more in the 200-300 yard range, but there were some dramatic results. He preferred the 80g varmint bullets and was not a handloader. I shot a little buck a little bit back and with no blood showing it got away.

Then he was all about shooting deer with the 22-250 and it did a decent job at times. I shot another little buck at 300 yards behind the ear. The bullet hit where I was aiming. Of course, it was DRT. Later I shot a doe at ~100 yards taking off the arteries on top of the heart. She just kept walking like nothing had happened as we watched a blood stain grow on her side and than she just fell over. Shot another doe that might have been too far back that we never recovered. Both lost deer (the one with the .243 and this one) were traveling well and had non-shooters in our party jump ahead of me and spooked them out of the country. My last deer with that cartridge was a doe at 10-20 ft as she ran by me. I hit her in the hip dropping her and then had to finish her off. Obviously a bad shot. But, what was interesting is the bullet dished out a lot of meat exposing the pelvis, but did not break it.

These were all varmint type bullets and obviously not all hit well. What I did notice was more blood from my 30-06 and it had the capability to break bone compared to the varmint bullets we used at the time. I didn't use .22 on deer again until a few years ago when my son started hunting. This was due to reading post by ingwe and others about how effective they were.

Well, shooting the 64g Winchester PP out of an 18" barreled AR my son made 4 (what should have been) killing hits on a large-bodied mule deer buck. Longest shot was a little over 100 yards. The deer came back closer to us after the hit. Then as it stood broadside at less than 100 yards he shot it 3 more times, 2 in the lungs and one that should have been a heart shot but broke the leg and deflected into the ground. Finally blood started coming out of his nose and he fell over. On dressing him out we discovered the first shot hit the liver with little damage and the lung shots pretty much penciled through with little damage, but none exited. I almost gave up on it right there, but taking ingwe's advice I bought some Barnes bullets to try, but then sold the AR to buy something else so haven't tried them yet. The only .22 centerfire I currently have is a .220 Swift with a 14" twist that Barnes says is too slow for the bullets so haven't tried them yet.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by BradFord
Why use something barely adequate (if That) when a 243 or other 6mm will do it better?

It is not barely adequate. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a wound channel with a 223 and a 6.5 Creed, assuming good bullets.

The Lycra King Speaks! grin

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
This subject has probably been beat to death on various forums, but what say the 'Fire? Is the .223 Remington an adequate cartridge for deer out to a distance of 250 yards?

Absolutely, yes.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by roverboy
Yeah, what Hanco said, with good designed bullets, it is decent. And of course the faster .22 centerfires are better than .223 is.

Faster can be a double edged sword, IMO. Proper bullet is key, but judging by this thread, there are many good ones out there. Still, you need the right twist for many and the standard 1-7/9 in a 223 vs a 1:14 in a 22-250 could be critical.

I like the 70 Speer semi-spitzer in my 223. Performance is the same from muzzle to 200 yards. Complete pass through and good expansion.

Yeah, I forgot about most .22-250 and .220 Swift having a slow twist. There's a Wildcat round called .224 Texas Trophy Hunter that is a 6mm Remington case necked down to .224 with a fast twist.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I did an experiment a number of years ago....

Found some 4 x 6 sized steel plates laying on the ground over at the range locally, at the 100 yd berm. Thickness was 3/8 thick.

I was shooting a 223, and 10 shots drill right thru them. Bolt action, 55 grain Hornady SP, fueled by 12.5 grains of Blue Dot. MV 2500 fps.

I didn't think I should be seeing the bullets plowing right thru the plate. So I took several home, and loaded up 40 rounds for an experiment.

Chose both 55 grain Hornady SPs, and Hornady 55 gr FMJ. Loading 10 of each bullet. First batch with 12.5 grains of Blue Dot.
Second group was loaded with H4895 IIRC, but MV was 3150 fps, equivalent to military specs for MV.

Set 4 plates on the bank behind the target stands at 100 yds. Each plate got 10 shots, first two plates with the Blue Dot loads with an MV of 2550 fps. 10 SPs and 10 FMJ on the second plate on the left.... then the other two plates were to the right of that.

Those two plates were shot, with 55 gr SP at 3150 fps MV on the left, and 55 gr FMJ at 3150 fps MV on the right.

Results surprised me immensely.

With an MV of 2550 fps with Blue Dot load, each 10 bullets penetrated thru the plate they were shot at., this being 100 yds.

The next 2 plates on the right... 3150 fps, with H 4895, each 10 bullets were shot at 100 yds also. ALL 10 bullets, with 55 gr SP, and then 10 bullets of 55 gr FMJ @3150 fps. EACH bullet that left the muzzle at 3150 fps, hit and splattered on the steel plates.. None of them penetrated the plates at all. Where as the bullets shot at 2550 fps MV at 100 yds, EACH one penetrated the steel plate it was shot at.

I wasn't seeing what I was expecting to see. In fact, just the opposite.

Since that experiment 10 plus years ago, I've used the Blue Dot load with the 223 and they have dropped the deer each time. Less recoil makes the load easier to shoot for younger or female shooters, and gives a much better shot placement.

Conclusions from the Steel Plate experiment..

At 3150 fps MV, the bullets did not have enough structural integrity to penetrate thru the 3/8 inch steel plate.
However, slow the same bullet types down to 2550 fps MV and at 100 yds, each type had the ability to penetrate the steel plate, drawing the conclusion, at the slower speed it had the structural integrity to overcome the structural integrity of the steel plates.

Draw your own conclusions, but above are the experiences and conclusions that I drew. Some of the campfire members her have seen the steel plates, as I keep them in the back of my Honda Pilot.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I’m working with a Ruger 300 BKO. What’s your best 110 TAC load?

DF

I run 20 gr of h110. Gets me close to 2400fps. Slightly faster than the factory load. Not sure about the coal, but it is close to factory loaded length. Have used it on a few deer from 75-163 yards. Has worked like a charm so far.

Oh, and with sub MOA accuracy. Took it out to check before the hunt on Sat, conditions were just about perfect. At 150 yards it cut the vertical line on the target 1.2” above the bullseye. Puts me just over 2” high at 100 and 2” low at 200. That’s as far as I plan to shoot that one and a long shot in my hunting areas. Really, really like this round/bullet/powder combo.

Last edited by vabowhntr; 09/27/22.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant

I think it should be that way everywhere

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Seafire
Conclusions from the Steel Plate experiment..

At 3150 fps MV, the bullets did not have enough structural integrity to penetrate thru the 3/8 inch steel plate.
However, slow the same bullet types down to 2550 fps MV and at 100 yds, each type had the ability to penetrate the steel plate, drawing the conclusion, at the slower speed it had the structural integrity to overcome the structural integrity of the steel plates.
Does this really make sense? I mean, is it supported by physics?
Very interesting, regardless.

Last edited by Triggernosis; 09/27/22.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
A little over 40 years ago we used a .243 Win and 22-250 on mule deer. Erratic results were experienced to say the least. My stepdad at the time always over estimated distance and swore a person could hold dead on a deer out to 400 yards with the .243 and DRT. It was more in the 200-300 yard range, but there were some dramatic results. He preferred the 80g varmint bullets and was not a handloader. I shot a little buck a little bit back and with no blood showing it got away.

Then he was all about shooting deer with the 22-250 and it did a decent job at times. I shot another little buck at 300 yards behind the ear. The bullet hit where I was aiming. Of course, it was DRT. Later I shot a doe at ~100 yards taking off the arteries on top of the heart. She just kept walking like nothing had happened as we watched a blood stain grow on her side and than she just fell over. Shot another doe that might have been too far back that we never recovered. Both lost deer (the one with the .243 and this one) were traveling well and had non-shooters in our party jump ahead of me and spooked them out of the country. My last deer with that cartridge was a doe at 10-20 ft as she ran by me. I hit her in the hip dropping her and then had to finish her off. Obviously a bad shot. But, what was interesting is the bullet dished out a lot of meat exposing the pelvis, but did not break it.

These were all varmint type bullets and obviously not all hit well. What I did notice was more blood from my 30-06 and it had the capability to break bone compared to the varmint bullets we used at the time. I didn't use .22 on deer again until a few years ago when my son started hunting. This was due to reading post by ingwe and others about how effective they were.

Well, shooting the 64g Winchester PP out of an 18" barreled AR my son made 4 (what should have been) killing hits on a large-bodied mule deer buck. Longest shot was a little over 100 yards. The deer came back closer to us after the hit. Then as it stood broadside at less than 100 yards he shot it 3 more times, 2 in the lungs and one that should have been a heart shot but broke the leg and deflected into the ground. Finally blood started coming out of his nose and he fell over. On dressing him out we discovered the first shot hit the liver with little damage and the lung shots pretty much penciled through with little damage, but none exited. I almost gave up on it right there, but taking ingwe's advice I bought some Barnes bullets to try, but then sold the AR to buy something else so haven't tried them yet. The only .22 centerfire I currently have is a .220 Swift with a 14" twist that Barnes says is too slow for the bullets so haven't tried them yet.

LMAO.

Poor shooting and you're blaming Ingwe for saying it works? My kids have taken 5 deer with the .223 Win and 55gr bullets. None requiring a second shot. None closer than 50 yards and only one took a step. It was pouring blood the entire time it was stumbling down the hill.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
This subject has probably been beat to death on various forums, but what say the 'Fire? Is the .223 Remington an adequate cartridge for deer out to a distance of 250 yards?

Absolutely, yes.

Shot mine at 50, 100, and 200 yesterday. Same as always 1/2 MOA with 55gr TTSX.

Of course it was one of those junk Kimber Montana's with a crappy Leupold 2.5-8 VX3

Page 8 of 26 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 2,739 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,948
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.