Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
CBB15 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Will glysophate kill a large white crepe myrtle tree if applied after the tree is cut to stump?

What other chemical options are available? I cannot burn it or grind it because it was planted too close to the house.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It will.

But it'll work better if you mix it with some diesel.

Then cover the stump up with a bucket or something.

The sooner you treat the stump after cutting the better. Fresh cut will carry more herbicide to the roots.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It probably would kill it at that spot but I think they can spread from root runners. I am seeing a lot of sprouts around some of mine. Either it is that or seed sprouts. Not 100% sure. I would just spray the sprouts too if you get them.

Last edited by GAGoober; 09/23/22.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've had good luck with anything containing Triclopyr. The last one I used was this stuff from Home Depot. It worked well on shoots coming from some hybrid poplars I'd taken out.
This photo is a diluted ready to use version. They also carry a concentrate which is the one you want. Paint it on full strength.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
It will if you use at least 41% glyphosate and apply undiluted to a freshly cut stump that has been cut close to the ground. I've killed all sorts of fence row saplings, privet hedge, and bradford pear using that method. I even killed the main tuber of a kudzu patch once I found it. I use the store brand from Tractor Supply, but other generic glyphosate should work as long as it's at least 41%. No additives needed. It will even work when trees have lost their leaves and you might think the roots are inactive, but they're not. Might not work when it's really cold or the ground is frozen, but that doesn't happen very often in TN.

Increasing my post count so people will buy stuff from me
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Tordon RTU is what you want. Apply to the stump right after you cut it. If it's been cut awhile rough up the outer rim of the stump before applying.

Last edited by JLWilson; 09/23/22.

Christopher Columbus, the greatest Democrat of them all.

He left not knowing where he was going, and when he got there he did not know where he was. He returned not knowing where he had been, and did it all on someone else's money.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CBB15
What other chemical options are available?

Tordon

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
You may kill the stump, but you will fight suckers coming up 20ft out in the yard from it for years to come, that being said, if in grass, simply mow over them...but you will continue to fight them in flower beds.

I feel your pain, people plant them too close to houses not realizing how big they can get.

Last edited by killerv; 09/23/22.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by killerv
You may kill the stump, but you will fight suckers coming up 20ft out in the yard from it for years to come, that being said, if in grass, simply mow over them...but you will continue to fight them in flower beds.

I feel your pain, people plant them too close to houses not realizing how big they can get.
The Triclopyr I mentioned deals with those. Mix a little in a pan 50-50 with water, then use a $1 chipping brush to slap it on the leaves. They'll wilt within a day and won't come back.
Those roots can be a real pain. I took out some hybrid poplars 2 years ago and they're still coming back way away from where the stumps were. Keep at it. The roots will eventually starve out if you can keep the leaves killed off so it doesn't get any nutrition.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Mix diesel with it, kills juniper and that wild plum crap at the deer lease, ought to kill a crepe myrtle easy.

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Another vote for Tordon
Gonna use some today.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
What will work on a Bougainvillea, without killing the tree that grew up through the bush?

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by CBB15
Will glysophate kill a large white crepe myrtle tree if applied after the tree is cut to stump?

What other chemical options are available? I cannot burn it or grind it because it was planted too close to the house.

Yes...

Apply stronger than normal.

In fact... do this on all cut trees and the stump will rot 50% faster as well.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Cross hatch the hell out of the flat and make a bowl in the heart wood about 2 or 3" below the bottom of the cross hatch with a chain saw.
Then let that mofoing roof ball have a drink of whatever you use for 2 or 3 days running.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Cut the tree, drill several 1/2" or bigger holes in the stump and use any of the above.

There is a war on America and America is losing
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fall is a great time to hit it would gly-phos

As all business is returning to the roots for winter shutdown, daub that fresh cut stumping with 41% el cheapo generic glyphosphate.

I’m essentially saying what 91 other posters are saying. I’ll pretending I’m a doofus that doesn’t read all of the other replies before spouting off

…but to note, we use hack and squirt to kill medium sized trees with a similar method. Almost like girdling a tree

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
[quote=arky65]Cut the tree, drill several 1/2" or bigger holes in the stump and use any of the above.[/

This… drill holes in stump and fill with juice, watch die.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
glysophate causes cancer. It's called the farmer's disease.

I would grind down as far as you can, then use 45% Pure Vinegar - Concentrated Industrial Grade. At least 2 gallons.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CanadianLefty

I would grind down as far as you can, then use 45% Pure Vinegar - Concentrated Industrial Grade. At least 2 gallons.

O Canada! Our home and native land!
True patriot love thou dost in us command.
We see thee rising fair, dear land,
The True North, strong and free;
And stand on guard, O Canada,
We stand on guard for thee.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Haha

I love those commercials….

“Possibly linked to cancer”

They can’t prove it, but pay up sucka…

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Only if youre the moron stirring the tank with your arm, getting continually blasted in the face with wind blown overspray. And doing that for 40 years

Helps to smoke 3 packs of cigs a day too.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6584108

These two Canadian farmers used Roundup on their crops for decades. Then they were diagnosed with cancer

Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma has been called ‘a farmer disease,’ says farmer Richard Elenko

Vanessa Caldwell - CBC Docs
Posted: September 20, 2022

RichardElenko
‘It’s almost to the point of not whether you get it — it’s when you get it,’ says farmer Richard Elenko.

Canadian farmers Garry Gadd and Richard Elenko know that in farming, quantity is the name of the game.

"The driver behind everything, more or less, is volume," says Elenko in the documentary Into the Weeds: Dewayne "Lee" Johnson vs. Monsanto Company. "The margins are so little, and so you've got to have scale. To maximize your yield, you've got to minimize your infestation of weeds."

To minimize weeds, many farmers use glyphosate-based herbicides like Roundup. According to the film, roughly 736 million pounds of glyphosate are used in agriculture each year globally.

"In the farming world, it's an ongoing question: how do you do things bigger, better, faster?" says Gadd in Into the Weeds.

"We want to provide the highest quality of food for the world, cheaply. Get crops harvested, sent to market in a timely manner. And I learned to become, for lack of a better word, a real evangelist for Roundup," says Gadd, who began using the herbicide on his Saskatchewan farm in 1997.

"I just thought it was the greatest thing in the world."

The documentary Into the Weeds tells the story of Dewayne "Lee" Johnson, a former groundskeeper from California, who was the first to go to trial in a series of lawsuits that claimed Monsanto products Roundup and Ranger Pro contributed to plaintiffs' cancer. Monsanto denies that glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup, causes cancer.

The film also features others — like Gadd and Elenko — whose lives were upended by a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma diagnosis after using Roundup.

Gadd was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma after doctors discovered tumors in his liver and throat. Elenko was diagnosed during a routine checkup.

'Farmers are exposed to it the most, for the longest period of time'
"Most farmers now, you look more like a spaceman than you do a farmer when you're loading the machines. And you're loading these machines [with Roundup] every 90 minutes for a week or two weeks," says Gadd in the film.

"And then you're doing it again in the summertime, and then you're doing it again in the fall to bring in your harvest. Being on the front line of using this product, farmers are exposed to it the most, for the longest period of time."

ITW_farmerprotectivegerar
A farm worker wears protective gear in this still from Into the Weeds. (Photo courtesy of Disappearing Insects Productions Inc.)
Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma has been referred to as "a farmer disease," Elenko says in the documentary.

"It's almost to the point of not whether you get it — it's when you get it."

Gadd had a total of 12 treatments for his lymphoma. At the time of filming Into the Weeds, he was considered cancer-free, though the side effects of his treatments took a heavy toll.

In the film, he says his oncologist had a choice between giving him a drug that could cause another type of cancer or a drug that could negatively affect his heart. "It did affect my heart. Permanent heart damage," he says.

Gadd says he now tries to avoid using Roundup as much as possible, but he continues to use it on his fields — his margins are so low, he can't afford not to.

Elenko used Roundup until he stopped actively farming in 2019.

Watch Into the Weeds: Dewayne "Lee" Johnson vs. Monsanto Company on CBC Gem.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
It will.

Then cover the stump up with a bucket or something.

The sooner you treat the stump after cutting the better. Fresh cut will carry more herbicide to the roots.

I'll add that when I do stumps like this I drill some 1/2" hole in it and fill them with the chosen herbicide. Adding diesel to it is also a fine idea.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've had good luck with anything containing Triclopyr. The last one I used was this stuff from Home Depot. It worked well on shoots coming from some hybrid poplars I'd taken out.
This photo is a diluted ready to use version. They also carry a concentrate which is the one you want. Paint it on full strength.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

This! After cutting it down, apply this stuff to the stump. Just enough to wet it...problem solved.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

These two Canadian farmers used Roundup on their crops for decades. Then they were diagnosed with cancer

Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma has been called ‘a farmer disease,’ says farmer Richard Elenko

RichardElenko
‘It’s almost to the point of not whether you get it — it’s when you get it,’ says farmer Richard Elenko.

Canadian farmers Garry Gadd and Richard Elenko know that in farming, quantity is the name of the game.

"The driver behind everything, more or less, is volume," says Elenko in the documentary Into the Weeds: Dewayne "Lee" Johnson vs. Monsanto Company. "The margins are so little, and so you've got to have scale. To maximize your yield, you've got to minimize your infestation of weeds."

To minimize weeds, many farmers use glyphosate-based herbicides like Roundup. According to the film, roughly 736 million pounds of glyphosate are used in agriculture each year globally.

"In the farming world, it's an ongoing question: how do you do things bigger, better, faster?" says Gadd in Into the Weeds.

"We want to provide the highest quality of food for the world, cheaply. Get crops harvested, sent to market in a timely manner. And I learned to become, for lack of a better word, a real evangelist for Roundup," says Gadd, who began using the herbicide on his Saskatchewan farm in 1997.

The documentary Into the Weeds tells the story of Dewayne "Lee" Johnson, a former groundskeeper from California, who was the first to go to trial in a series of lawsuits that claimed Monsanto products Roundup and Ranger Pro contributed to plaintiffs' cancer. Monsanto denies that glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup, causes cancer.

The film also features others — like Gadd and Elenko — whose lives were upended by a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma diagnosis after using Roundup.

Gadd was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma after doctors discovered tumors in his liver and throat. Elenko was diagnosed during a routine checkup.

"Most farmers now, you look more like a spaceman than you do a farmer when you're loading the machines. And you're loading these machines [with Roundup] every 90 minutes for a week or two weeks," says Gadd in the film.

"And then you're doing it again in the summertime, and then you're doing it again in the fall to bring in your harvest. Being on the front line of using this product, farmers are exposed to it the most, for the longest period of time."

A farm worker wears protective gear in this still from Into the Weeds. (Photo courtesy of Disappearing Insects Productions Inc.)
Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma has been referred to as "a farmer disease," Elenko says in the documentary.

Gadd had a total of 12 treatments for his lymphoma. At the time of filming Into the Weeds, he was considered cancer-free, though the side effects of his treatments took a heavy toll.

In the film, he says his oncologist had a choice between giving him a drug that could cause another type of cancer or a drug that could negatively affect his heart. "It did affect my heart. Permanent heart damage," he says.

Gadd says he now tries to avoid using Roundup as much as possible, but he continues to use it on his fields — his margins are so low, he can't afford not to.

You made my point dumbfukk

They used it for DECADES

Someone on here applying a little chemical to a stump is not going to wind up at MD Anderson next week.

HAPPY CAMPER SOCK PUPPET ^^^^^^^^

Ringman…come suck his nutsack

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
LOLZ.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Bad advice.

But then, that's you. Again.

Don't fuggin' bathe in the glyphosate. Pour it on the stump. Might not get cancer that way...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

RichardElenko

🥴🥴🥴😆😆😆
Decades long wading pool slathering it all over em schit..

Like a couple of tards in the Ball pit at chuck e cheese.

Dumb fuuuks probably didn't understand the concept of spraying the schit down wind with a cross wind or moving into the wind always blowing away from behind them either while spraying.
Or plowing their fields in the direction of the prevailing wind to advoid spraying problems later on.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Last edited by renegade50; 09/23/22.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The lawyers have about given up on Roundup....now its Paraquat and that nasty water from Camp Lejuene.

All pesticides are inherently detrimental to your health if used in a manner that deviates from the label. Problem is hardly anyone ever reads a label much less adheres to the guidelines. If Roundup was that dangerous I know about a couple hundred people offhand that should be dead or dying of cancer and they are not. Damn knee jerkers, the same was said about DDT and Chlordane but they can't find anyone that had cancer due to those.

Last edited by Caplock; 09/23/22.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by GAGoober
It probably would kill it at that spot but I think they can spread from root runners. I am seeing a lot of sprouts around some of mine. Either it is that or seed sprouts. Not 100% sure. I would just spray the sprouts too if you get them.

Those are stump sprouts. Perfectly natural for a Crepe Myrtle to sprout these.

Glysophate (Roundup) is a systemic herbicide. Put it on the cut off stump and it will kill the tree and any of its stump sprouts.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Caplock
The lawyers have about given up on Roundup....now its Paraquat and that nasty water from Camp Lejuene.

All pesticides are inherently detrimental to your health if used in a manner that deviates from the label. Problem is hardly anyone ever reads a label much less adheres to the guidelines. If Roundup was that dangerous I know about a couple hundred people offhand that should be dead or dying of cancer and they are not. Damn knee jerkers, the same was said about DDT and Chlordane but they can't find anyone that had cancer due to those.
And those lawyers chose to file suit in the most liberal area they could find to ensure a left leaning jury. Smart thinking given it was a totally useless case to begin with.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by slumlord

RichardElenko

You made my point dumbfukk

They used it for DECADES

Someone on here applying a little chemical to a stump is not going to wind up at MD Anderson next week.

HAPPY CAMPER SOCK PUPPET ^^^^^^^^

Ringman…come suck his nutsack

Miss Lynn was from Canada... or Connecticut... I forget.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’m not worried about glyphosate…..hell, I’m still drinking water that I bottled at camp Lajeune in the 80’s. 😉

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by JLWilson
Tordon RTU is what you want. Apply to the stump right after you cut it. If it's been cut awhile rough up the outer rim of the stump before applying.
\

I had never heard of Tordon before but googled it and it sounds good. I have a similar project, a bunch of tallow trees I want gone.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It will.

I'm curious about the diesel mixed in, soaking in and not drying out?

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by colodog
It will.

I'm curious about the diesel mixed in, soaking in and not drying out?

It holds the herbicide on where you apply it for a long time, actually increasing chances of a complete kill to about 100%

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hey

Has anyone tried brushing the stump with straight concentrated roundUp??

Im 73 years old and wanted to add my 2 cents

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know this hasn't been mentioned but I'd brush that fresh stump with 42% Roundup.
That 41% stuff is for snowflakes.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I’ve used 2-4-D.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

119 members (264mag, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 23 invisible), 1,201 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,476
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.