Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm more of a set and forget type also and tend to prefer one piece bows to takedowns. I wanted to try carbon/foam limbs and Lancaster was closing out some Trad Tech ILF's at half price so ordered limbs. Then I had to find a riser - I wanted wood and found a Dryad ILF riser in Bocote. Made for a pretty nice setup without having to spend a bundle. I haven't fiddled with it since initially setting it up. Having limbs flopping around everytime you unstring it seems a bit odd...

GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I like takedowns for the usual added weight and in case something bad happens the limbs can be replaced.
My bow usually stays strung.
When not using its on top of an old antique book case.
Nice n flat

My ILF and other BW hunting rig are completely disassembled.

Last edited by hookeye; 09/23/22.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheKid
I got tired of archery early in HS. Mostly due to the bows of the day being big heavy magnesium and fiberglass beasts that were expensive and weighed a ton. I didn’t have the money to upgrade when I’d outgrown my bow since I’d have been looking at not only a bow but sights, rest, release and all that other stuff.

My best friend came to show me his new bow and said that I should give it a try. He’d been hanging around with some guys who attended the Macalister rendezvous every year and had picked up a recurve. I shot it a little and kinda liked it so had my dad take me to the city so I could spend some plowing money on a new Martin recurve.

I immediately loved the simplicity. Ended up even deciding I liked the extra challenge of hunting off the ground. It all seems so much more raw and real to me. I’ve still not shot a deer with any other type of archery tackle, nor from a stand though I do have one I hunted out of last winter. I don’t see myself ever going to modern archery, just isn’t something that interests me.
This is where I am starting to get.

Hunted 1 season with a Howatt Hunter, missed a coyote on the first morning and never had any other shot opportunities.

Looking into a new take down. Get back into the trad game, simple and more of a challenge.

As for ground hunting, I gave kilt a few deer with a compound from the ground. Uncle has been a bow hunter for 45sh years and has never killed a deer with a bow from the ground, seems amazed I have done it.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 10/29/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Been shooting my new Widow and doing OK.
Shoulder holding up and consistent enough to tune, mess with diff arrow setups.

I dunno WTF is wrong with quiver makers, but it irks the crap out of me to have the nocks past the bow.
My Hoyt Torrex was that way w an adapter on HHA for Fuse quiver, and my new Thunderhorn 2 pc leather one was that way on the widow.

So..............the Hoyt Torrex is going bye bye (listed for sale on local forum) and that Thunderhorn 2 pc quiver, which was 120 bucks.....
is going bye bye too. Proly post in classifieds in a few.

Back to my beat up Delta quiver I go.

Last edited by hookeye; 11/09/22.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Thinking VPA riser (13") w Uukha 34# Longs (SX50) get me 40-42#. Treestand and 3D rig.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I was a long time compound guy with literally hundreds of animals killed- it just got too automatic.

Trad archery brought back the fun.

I’ve shot a bunch of different custom trad bows but nothing gave me the smooth performance of a good ILF. Im currently shooting a 64” recurve; Stalker riser, Uukha Selenghas, 50#, 500g.

I shot a 47# recurve; Dryad riser, Uukha VX’s, 553g arrow for a couple years and 10 of 12 critters were pass throughs with all but one dying in sight. A Coues I shot at 45y blew up and got into some brush 50y away. An 800# moose- 2 pass thrus at 30y, down in 10y.

The effectiveness of a 2 blade from a light setup is incredible…. I chuckle every time I see these guys wanting to shoot an 80 pound compound with 700 gr arrows to kill a deer.

A guy could have an amazing ILF bow; cheap wood Southwest, Oktober mtn riser with WNS C5 or C3 limbs at Alt Services ($300-$400 all in) that will outperform just about every custom.

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Before the trad police crucify me for my one long shot…. here’s the rest of the story.

First off I’m a pretty good shot and I practice longer distances regularly.

Secondly, as most guys know, you are usually pretty good right around your point on distance. I was hunting a spot in the desert that I knew was going to be a 45 to 47 yard shot, so I set up an arrow that was 45 yards point on and shot that distance every day for a month.

It will sound foreign to the guys that only shoot instinctive close shots but I was shooting my point on distance as good as I shoot at 20 yards. It works.

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I shot unconscious gap for years.
Practiced to 40 in my yard.
Shot IBO courses from the MBR stakes ( max 45 yards ).
Way more fun, even if it hurt my scores somewhat.

First kill for.my new Widow in 2001 was a yote, at 42.

My 60 lb HS I shot gap, but had 2 anchors.
Low w high anchor at 20. Aim higher for 25. And drop anchor and aim like 20, for 30.

It worked well but wasnt fluid. Shot my deer at 25 that yr.
Was easy.

Still prefer unconscious gap and split finger. But current rig is 3 under and gap. Gap a little bigger than I want though.

No injury and plenty of time, ill swap back to unconscious gap next yr. Either way works fine. Have not messed w fixed crawl, my bow isnt ILF either.

Do like a more reflexive style, helps me when things happen fast.

Last edited by hookeye; 11/20/22.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Got my first BW in 87. Like em a lot. Have had 4 built over the yrs and owned 5 of the metal riser ones.
They aint the fastest, dont care. Like em.

Must say for a best bang for the buck, my Hoyt Dorado w Tradtech limbs was a tough one to beat.

My new BW and a VPA ILF. That should be enough smile

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I can see why you like those BWs Hookeye…they point really well.
I had to talk myself out of one.

You lose a little performance with the additional BH riser fwd design but its all about hitting what we are aiming at right?
I’ve seen a few of those new carbon limbed widows at tourneys- very nice even though the Trad Lab guys say they are only 2-3 fps faster.

I shoot 3U gap-stinctive…but shoot instinctive on hunting shots 15 and in…which is about 1/3rd of my shots on game.

What really helped me turn the corner on accuracy was having a mentor help me with good form and then working on it blind bale shooting weekly.

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Yup, BW bows feel great to me. Like the looks too
Plus Ken Beck and the guys are good people.

Ive shot a fair number of other bows over the years.
Widows work well for me. Well enough to justify the expense.

Yeah I wish cheaper other stuff worked LOL

Deer dont care how much ya spend.

Figure get the VPA w Uukha 50% limbs, that and the Widow and am done. Shoulder is bothering me again but hey, 2 recurves on the wall doing nothing is better than 1.

Will start up w my PT again this morning and anti inflams, see if I can get things settled down to take the BW out after gun season

Last edited by hookeye; 11/21/22.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Buddy has a couple Ghillo rigs.

Had him shoot my PSA2 thats 58".
He liked it a lot.

Said big dif from 56" PCH vs my 58" PSA2.

I shot his PCH and thought it was fine. But for an all around think 58" is best ( for me ).

For a 3d rig i maybe could tolerate a 60. But am no fan of 62". Dont need a big riser, dont need the length. Even indoor target rigs.....just dont like a bow that long.

Maybe ideal for that game, but i just dont like em.

To each his own

My dislike for target length recurves has saved me a lot of money LOL

Stan V Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I hunted with a 64" and a 58" trad bow and much preferred the 58". Tough to hunt out of a ground pop up with a 64" bow. I just picked up a Red Wing Hunter from around 1964, it's a 58".

All American

All the time
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Ive had two Redwing Hunters. Both 45#.
Neat little rigs.
Kinda like my Pearson Hunter 2.
Had four Bear Grizzly, one of a 56". Somebody said they made those only one year?
One classic over 58" recurve I tolerated was my Super Diablo. Hated my 2800s. Have had three and tried and tried to like em. The 65# was like a freakin car spring. Grip just doesnt work for me, but all three 2800s were shocky. The Super D wasnt.

My HF1225 was 60" and was OK and I shot it well. Preferred the HS so let the HF go bye bye

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It’s amazing to me how much easier a 60” recurve is to get along with in the woods than a 64” longbow, feels like it’s a foot shorter.

Problem is I can shoot the LB far better and easier than the recurve.

I’m on the hunt for another one, as bad or worse than buying and tinkering with guns. Thinking of pulling the trigger and ordering something in the next year just because. I’ve narrowed it down to a BW LB, or a Toelke, or a Centaur, or a Bushman, or something else by the time I get around to it. I really just want something about 60” that will draw about 43-45# at 29 1/2” that is mine. Thinking about the Centaur or Bushman carbons but like someone said above they really don’t seem to be enough faster to matter.

It’s all fun and that’s what matters to me.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My 58s tossed across back seat of a XJ/ZJ and didnt get door bonked wink

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Widows are thin limb across so maybe the carbon helps keep em straight.

Not that they twist in normal use/ storage.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Last LB I tried was my buds Tomahawk.
Wasnt bad at all.
Most LB and me dont get along.
Biggest issue for me is grip.
Im just a lowly recurve dude I guess.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have to have a locator style grip on my longbows too. If I had to make due with a Hill style grip I’d not be eating much deer meat.

Have/had a few straight gripped bows and can’t shoot them with any consistency at all.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

628 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,025 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,245
Posts18,447,994
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.