Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
When experimenting during the search for "best load", I don't give a rat's patoot where the groups fall. After final selection of the best load recipe then I'll finagle the sights/scope to the POI I want.

Exactly! Some here have a hard time grasping that.
But they have the picture posting down pat.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
heck, we are talking minute of deer....

you aren't shooting a gopher to bring home to eat....

how tight of a group does someone need? if you are a decent shot, it should only take ONE bullet in the appropriate spot...

was does someone need a rifle that will shoot a " group" to bring down a deer?...

is it the rifle that is being questioned or the shooters ability to shoot the rifle accurately in the right place?

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Seafire
heck, we are talking minute of deer....

you aren't shooting a gopher to bring home to eat....

how tight of a group does someone need? if you are a decent shot, it should only take ONE bullet in the appropriate spot...

was does someone need a rifle that will shoot a " group" to bring down a deer?...

is it the rifle that is being questioned or the shooters ability to shoot the rifle accurately in the right place?

1 shot is all it ever takes..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Shooting groups tells you that you and your equipment are consistent. Not a damn thing wrong with shooting and focusing on keeping your skill honed. If you chose not to, that is on you.. Generally the guys whining and crying are the ones that can't quite muster making good shots on target.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I shoot 5000 plus rounds a year...

a hit or a miss out hunting, I have no illusions....

either one is on me...

too bad so many others blame a miss on the ammo, the gun, the weather

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Truer words were never spoken. Sitting at a bench and making tiny groups is certainly a soul-satisfying pastime. I am devoted to it. But at the end of the day the guy who can take an unsupported position, or shoot off his hind legs and hit a target representative of a kill zone, every time, at a fair distance is the guy who'll impress me the most. My old bones are crapping out on me so I can't do that reliably anymore. In the woods I try to keep a tree handy to lean against, or use a hiking staff as a rifle support, otherwise a freehand shot beyond archery distance is catch-as-catch-can. But by God I can make bughole groups off the bench!

At our schutzen matches, score targets at 200 yards offhand (as well as group and score targets off the bench) are conducted. Some of these guys can slop 10 shots into 2" give or take at 200 yards, offhand. Makes a bench shooter yawn, but you try to do that sometime. That game, conducted with lead bullets loafing along at barely sonic speeds, will teach you stance/breathing/mind power/trigger control like nothing else will - marksmanship in other words.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
98% of "hunters" could not hit a 12" pieplate at 200 yards standing on their hind feet.

Perhaps that's why we see so many ARs afield ---- "spray and pray"

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by UpThePole
98% of "hunters" could not hit a 12" pieplate at 200 yards standing on their hind feet.

Perhaps that's why we see so many ARs afield ---- "spray and pray"

Are you implying 98% of hunters are Quadrupeds ?
confused

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
It seems to be very consistent yes, but it's not the same production line of brass. I've both the 'reloading' brass and the match ammo with staked in primers. The ammo brass I have is heavier than the stuff sold for reloading. I'm guessing that it's mil-spec brass so it can't be used interchangeably. It does shoot though. Here's a sample from a gasser that I built and was sighting in at 100 yards:

Interesting how these threads go south isn’t it. Since no one answered the OP, here goes.

This brass started life as Norma Tactical 62 grain 556 shot through my AR. Military, hell no. 20 rounds was my initial test.
To answer Gnooah, yes Norma makes military brass. It called RUAG, which is the conglomerate that owns Norma, RWS and Gecco. I would imagine all 3 make the stuff and it’s just as rough looking as LC, full circle crimp.

Boring chit now

Case specs used.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

First round I used 23.5 grs. LT32. GMM, REM 7 1/2 BR and CCI, 52 Speer match seated 2.206. First visited this load in 2013 specs were 23.5, RP brass and 7 1/2BR, Sierra 52 Match, seated 2.220.
Results 3212 avg. 79 ES and 30 SD.

Second round I used 23.8 grs LT32, GMM and CCI primers 52 Speer seated 2.206. Trimmed to 1.750 First visited in 2013 also. Velocity gained about 50 fps, but the ES and SD halved.

10 started out exact weight, length wasnt measured. 10 were random weights.

First up exact weight

Random

It’s good brass, very consistent. The 3 prong crimp is easily removed. The case capacity as measured isn’t but 1-1.5 grains different. Weight is all over but still stays in a 7 grain spread. I believe most of the weight is in the web to handle pressure. The capacities don’t show enough spread for anything else. No pressure signs or wonky readings even though 23.8 is book max. All loads reacted as expected.

So draw your own conclusions. I have pics of the groups, decent enough but don’t want to clutter the post with too much BS.

Last edited by Swifty52; 08/17/22.

Swifty
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I've shoot some norma 223 match ammo a few years ago out of an AR. It was 77gr bullet,came in a black box. Shot very well for me. I don't think it had crimped primers then. I haven't reloaded that brass,but did keep it to do so.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Years ago I bought a bunch of Fed brass from the 'Brassman' in Vegas

Outta the box Savage 'M' series s/shot 24" SS tube liked it

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
had very good luck with this brass, have a chance to buy another bucket full

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
It seems to be very consistent yes, but it's not the same production line of brass. I've both the 'reloading' brass and the match ammo with staked in primers. The ammo brass I have is heavier than the stuff sold for reloading. I'm guessing that it's mil-spec brass so it can't be used interchangeably. It does shoot though. Here's a sample from a gasser that I built and was sighting in at 100 yards:

Why does everybody always miss the dime???
It's the glare from the dime that causes it.

I just put a bullet hole in a target, and then when people ask, I tell them I hit the dime that was there, and I hit exactly where I shot!

( pretty crafty, huh? smile )

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,674 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,216
Posts18,466,338
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.