Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
How do you like the Huskamaw scope?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
KillerBee;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day's been well behaved for you and all who matter in your world are healthy.

Thanks for the photo of the rifle which Corlane put together for you - as well as that bsa which I still like quite a bit for all the reasons already covered. wink

For the edification of our non Canuck friends, I'll say that I've personally dealt with the now co-owner/head gunsmith Greg up in Corlanes since before he was co-owner and have always had very positive interactions.

As well, I've got family up close to the Peace country who tell me the very same thing.

Lastly on Corlane, when I was finding a shop to put together a .350 Rem Mag build for a "hard use" rifle which a geologist in northern BC and the Yukon might carry, Greg at Corlane again got the nod for the job for a number of reasons, foremost being he was the first gunsmith to say he wasn't going to build anything which didn't feed perfectly - each time - every time. The project turned out well - Wilson barrel and all - and buddy is pleased but I've not had a recent report of the group sizes or at what ranges.

Oh, even though I said it was the last thing, if anyone is heading up the Alaska Highway or down, stopping in Corlane to view the taxidermy on display is well worth the time. I had a great visit with Aaron the other co-owner when we did that this summer. They had a ram head in there that if it wasn't a game farm raised animal would have been #3 I believe it was? It's crazy big - and yah, I know it's a game farm ram - but still...... shocked

If you're thinking about moving your rifle and you are so inclined, I'd think that either Corlane or Clay Smiley down at Prophet River might be worth a phone call to see what they need to move it. Clay has always been wonderful to deal with in my experience and has moved some pieces for me which were nigh onto impossible to find buyers for locally.

It's a thought anyways perhaps?

Hopefully that was useful for you or again anyone wandering up or down the Alaska Highway.

All the best and good luck on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
How do you like the Huskamaw scope?

Good morning Just a Hunter.

Simply put, I love it!

Funny story:

After I got it back from Corlane, sighted by Rod and the turret etched by their team, the first thing I did of course, was I went to my friend's ranch, and I set up an 8" steel plate at 500 yards.

I took the first shot and said to my friend, "the scope is garbage" and I was not happy, then I realized that I did not turn the turret to 5 and it was set @ 2 which is zeroed at 200 yards hahaha!

After a few minutes of laughing my head off I set it at 5 and hit that plate every shot in nice tight groups, and it was the first time I ever shot that rifle. My Buddy that loads his own ammo, shoots all the time (I don't) and had a Nightforce on his rifle could not hit the plate once. I was shooting off of the hood of my truck from a backpack as a rest and standing, he was sitting at the table he set up with a bipod.

Great scope that takes the guesswork and calculus out of LR Shooting if you ask me!

One guy I was talking with on another hunting forum said, "looking through a Huskemowmow, how he put it, the glass is like looking through a Coke bottle with that green glass" lol.

One thing I have discovered about the Huskemaw Scope, there are a lot of haters of them out there that cannot wait to bash them, the only reason why they would do that is because they do not own one, nor have they shot with one, or if they did own one it was set up incorrectly, I am thinking?

I highly recommend them because of their ease of use, the glass is very good, weight and price point. If you have an elk at 600 yards turn the turret to 6 and aim exactly where you want to hit the animal, easy peezy! One thing I hate doing is calculus when I am shooting.

Cheers ~

Last edited by KillerBee; 09/25/22.

KB

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BC30cal
KillerBee;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day's been well behaved for you and all who matter in your world are healthy.

Thanks for the photo of the rifle which Corlane put together for you - as well as that bsa which I still like quite a bit for all the reasons already covered. wink

For the edification of our non Canuck friends, I'll say that I've personally dealt with the now co-owner/head gunsmith Greg up in Corlanes since before he was co-owner and have always had very positive interactions.

As well, I've got family up close to the Peace country who tell me the very same thing.

Lastly on Corlane, when I was finding a shop to put together a .350 Rem Mag build for a "hard use" rifle which a geologist in northern BC and the Yukon might carry, Greg at Corlane again got the nod for the job for a number of reasons, foremost being he was the first gunsmith to say he wasn't going to build anything which didn't feed perfectly - each time - every time. The project turned out well - Wilson barrel and all - and buddy is pleased but I've not had a recent report of the group sizes or at what ranges.

Oh, even though I said it was the last thing, if anyone is heading up the Alaska Highway or down, stopping in Corlane to view the taxidermy on display is well worth the time. I had a great visit with Aaron the other co-owner when we did that this summer. They had a ram head in there that if it wasn't a game farm raised animal would have been #3 I believe it was? It's crazy big - and yah, I know it's a game farm ram - but still...... shocked

If you're thinking about moving your rifle and you are so inclined, I'd think that either Corlane or Clay Smiley down at Prophet River might be worth a phone call to see what they need to move it. Clay has always been wonderful to deal with in my experience and has moved some pieces for me which were nigh onto impossible to find buyers for locally.

It's a thought anyways perhaps?

Hopefully that was useful for you or again anyone wandering up or down the Alaska Highway.

All the best and good luck on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

Good morning BC30cal, I trust you are doing GREAT!

Did you see my "Last Meal" comment?

I would personally rank Corlane Sporting Goods Ltd. as the #1 long range Rifle and Gunsmith Shop in Canada, which is why I deal with them.

I got to know them when I wanted to buy a Huskemaw after doing a ton of research on building a super lightweight long-distance rifle, Corlane are one of the few dealers that sell them in Canada and the closest to me, so I called them, and have been happily dealing with them ever since.

The first rifle I sent them was my Browning Mountain Ti 300 WSM, which was a tremendous rifle, super accurate out of the box. This Mountain Ti although perfect as an extremely light Mountain rifle, it lacked the energy I wanted for 600+ yard shots on elk, not only that, trying to buy ammo for a WSM is a pain in the butt, especially if you are not in a major city center. For those reasons I upgraded to the 300 Win Mag.

When I purchased the Weatherby Mark V Ultralightweight in 300 Win Mag, I figured that it would shoot as well as my Mountain TI out of the box, boy was I ever wrong! When I sent it up to Corlane they mounted the Huskemaw on it and after their first shooting/testing day, they discovered that the rifle barrel was HORRIBLE, because the barrel was acting like a whip and they were getting 7" groups at 200 yards! This could be why Weatherby has discontinued them?

Obviously, that was never going to work. So, Rod suggested we replace the barrel with a Wilson Match Grade, which we did but after shooting it neither of us was impressed, because I wanted a sub-MOA rifle, so I asked him to glass bed it and free float the barrel.

After experimenting with various rounds, we finally struck gold with Nosler Trophy Grade ABLRs in 180g, and it was finally shooting <.25 @ 100 yards. This is why I made the modifications I did. Although the barrel was horrible, the fit of the Weatherby Monte Carlo style stock fits me like a glove and as you know my favorite rifle is my 1917 that has a Monte Carlo stock and pistol grip, also the Weatherby action is second to none IMO.

Talking about the Trophies those boyz at Corlane shoot in BC, did you see the Grizz Rod shot a few years ago? What a MONSTER! Put it out of its misery, it was suffering from JUMBOITTIS! lol

I have been bowhunting for elk in the foothills of Alberta for many years. There are a lot of Grizz where I hunt, which is exactly why when I bow hunt, I carry a Mossberg Maverick 88 with an 18" barrel on my back. I load it up with 2 SSG finishing rounds, with 3 - 3" High Shock slugs to start the party lol

I am not big on bear spray, especially if I run into an AGGRESSIVE MONSTER like the one Rod killed. I do not want to make a bears eyes water; I would want to send it to meet his maker if it were to attack me! I figure that if a bear does get me, it will be the most painful diner of his life and hopefully his last. Hopefully if that were to happen, he wouldn't even get the opportunity to dine, if you know what I mean? I have been attacked by a black bear in the past, talk about an Adrenaline Pumping Experience, happens real fast too! That day I discovered I can scream just as loud and as high pitched as a schoolgirl lol

When I grew up my father was the President of the Skeet and Trap club, so I spent my childhood and grew up on a skeet range, as well as hunting grouse and woodcock over world class English setters and German Shorthaired Pointers, and duck and goose hunting, so I am pretty handy with a shotgun.

I wish you and your beautiful family a fantastic Sunday, are you going out to shoot the 1894 Swed with your daughter today?

Cheers ~

KB

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This is a picture of Rod's Grizz, had it saved, BC Hunting is hard to beat!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

KB

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Value will vary from person to person.

Right person, on the right day looking for what you have etc...

Me, personally- I don't "value" the Wby name or action, I don't value that chambering or weight. My number, as in value to me - It would have to be about 5% of your cost into it.

So it's hard to ask "value" when it can and will vary based on what a person wants, or doesn't.

Me

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by KillerBee
This rifle is an exceptional Long Range Hunting rifle, a true Sub-MOA shooter, <.25 @ 100 yards

My question is: What would you guys place the value of this rifle, I know what it cost me to build, but I have no idea of its $$ value?

Cheers ~ KillerBee

I would like to see a video of this rifle producing repeatable .25" groups at 100yards. Not just "It did it one time" or "If I do my part" but actual repeatable groups.

4 or 5 groups in a row, showing it is a .300 win mag capable of shooting consistent 1/4" groups over and over.

If it is able to do that as you say, then no doubt you will have no shortage of guys wanting to purchase it.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All my rifles shoot <.1” groups.

All day long

24/7/365

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Teal
Value will vary from person to person.

Right person, on the right day looking for what you have etc...

Me, personally- I don't "value" the Wby name or action, I don't value that chambering or weight. My number, as in value to me - It would have to be about 5% of your cost into it.

So it's hard to ask "value" when it can and will vary based on what a person wants, or doesn't.

I am learning that Teal and agreed.

I never buy a Rifle solely on Brand name, I will only buy a rifle if it fits me perfectly and the cheek on stock to eye/scope/target acquisition is instant!

When I purchased the Weatherby at Cabela, I had every single 300 Win Mag in my hands and tested them all for fit, (sort of like Tuco at the gun counter when he robbed the old man in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly) the Mark V Ultra lightweight won out. I have been shooting for 55 years. If it does not fit DO NOT BUY IT, is my humble advice.

Same with Ammo, I don't make purchases based on brand name, I test several brands to find out what the barrel loves and that is the cartridge I go with. Using cartridges in a barrel that does not love them is like serving broccoli to your gal, when you know she hates it. Same result lol

Originally Posted by rcamuglia
All my rifles shoot <.1” groups.

All day long

24/7/365

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Good shooting there Rick, mine do as well, it's a beautiful thing :o)

KB

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thank you.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
While I like the Weatherby action, the caliber & think the weight is about perfect for accurate shooting - it isn’t light, it isn’t a PRC so inherently cool, I’m not a fan of the Huskemaw and lots of others aren’t either - the value is likely the same as in original factory condition or less not more. For you it may be the magic killing machine but that doesn’t make it sought after in the marketplace or a good investment.

I have an old tang safety Ruger 7mm RM bedded, with a glass like trigger & custom muzzle brake that is a wonderfully accurate shooting gun, I’d never sell it & my heirs will have a shoot off to see who inherits the rifle. It’s resale value is nothing special but it’s killed 20+ deer, a boar at 513, a bunch of elk and is a death ray. The Zeiss 4-16 cost 4x what I paid for the rifle in 1977. But it’s value to me & my family means nothing to its commercial resale value.

Build guns you like to hunt with however you prefer, or build that guys on the long range hunting forum will buy, don’t expect they’ll always be the same.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by specneeds
While I like the Weatherby action, the caliber & think the weight is about perfect for accurate shooting - it isn’t light, it isn’t a PRC so inherently cool, I’m not a fan of the Huskemaw and lots of others aren’t either - the value is likely the same as in original factory condition or less not more. For you it may be the magic killing machine but that doesn’t make it sought after in the marketplace or a good investment.

I have an old tang safety Ruger 7mm RM bedded, with a glass like trigger & custom muzzle brake that is a wonderfully accurate shooting gun, I’d never sell it & my heirs will have a shoot off to see who inherits the rifle. Its resale value is nothing special, but it’s killed 20+ deer, a boar at 513, a bunch of elk and is a death ray. The Zeiss 4-16 cost 4x what I paid for the rifle in 1977. But it’s value to me & my family means nothing to its commercial resale value.

Build guns you like to hunt with however you prefer or build that guys on the long-range hunting forum will buy, don’t expect they’ll always be the same.

I agree with most everything you said specneeds, and I think you are right about the value, with all of the work and expense I went through to get it the way it is now and that is from shooting 7" groups to <.25 @ 100 yards, I place its value a @ $4,000.00, I have $6,000.00 CAN into it, so I expect to lose 2k.

What I disagree with you on is: For its accuracy and ability to shoot at long distance and have the energy to take down an elk @ 800+ yards this rifle is lighter than most as far as a LR hunting rifle goes, I have seen peoples LR rifles weigh up to 16 lbs., I kept this one <10 lbs. Why the Huskemaw? It was lighter than other similar scopes I was looking at, and I wanted to shed the weight as much as possible.

I have friends that swear by Nightforce and have them on their rifles, I have outshot them at the range consistently with my Huskemaw, maybe it's the shooter? :o)

Cheers ~

Last edited by KillerBee; 09/26/22.

KB

M
M
The first rifle I sent them was my Browning Mountain Ti 300 WSM, which was a tremendous rifle, super accurate out of the box. This Mountain Ti although perfect as an extremely light Mountain rifle, it lacked the energy I wanted for 600+ yard shots on elk, not only that, trying to buy ammo for a WSM is a pain in the butt, especially if you are not in a major city center. For those reasons I upgraded to the 300 Win Mag.

After experimenting with various rounds, we finally struck gold with Nosler Trophy Grade ABLRs in 180g, and it was finally shooting <.25 @ 100 yards. This is why I made the modifications I did.

Cheers ~

Interesting stuff here. I had no idea going to a 300wm from a 300wsm was an upgrade in any way other than adding weight to the action. Especially considering those 600+ yard shots. Also did not know 300wm factory ammunition could provide consistent .25 moa targets. I bet handloaders wish they could get even remotely close loading better brass and bullets.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I would like to see a video of this rifle producing repeatable .25" groups at 100yards. Not just "It did it one time" or "If I do my part" but actual repeatable groups.

4 or 5 groups in a row, showing it is a .300 win mag capable of shooting consistent 1/4" groups over and over.

If it is able to do that as you say, then no doubt you will have no shortage of guys wanting to purchase it.

Personally, I have taken this rifle on 3 hunts and only have 17 rounds through it ...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Interesting rifle. Best of luck moving it on.

FWIW- Never felt undergunned with my 300wsm at 600 yards.

M
M
Good luck with that. Poster has admitted the rifle has only been shot 17x, shoots only factory ammunition, and thinks there's a difference ballistically between the 300wm and 300wsm.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Muleyhunter
Good luck with that. Poster has admitted the rifle has only been shot 17x, shoots only factory ammunition, and thinks there's a difference ballistically between the 300wm and 300wsm.

New guy with 3 posts catches on pretty fast..^^^^

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by VaHunter
I would say it is priceless because you have the most accurate 9lb - 6oz sporting hunting rifle ever created.

There's a lot of newbies that say they have a true sub .25 moa rifle. Let him live out his fantasy dream... Also, that would mean the rifle is 7 pounds 6 oz's by itself. Not much of an "ultralight". Wondering how much gain he really got by spending all that money on the barrel change? I wouldn't pay any more for the rifle the way it is than I would pay for a used sub moa weatherby. The last one I saw at one of the shops was $700, in like new condition. You can't call it an "ultralight" anymore either. That moniker went out the window with the barrel change and the substantial weight gain.
Unfortunately thats about what my Wby Ultralight weighs. Factory barrel and all. Its a 1lb over advertised weight. It is a 300 Wby and although it shoots really well , it wont
do .25 mo. I did shoot a 2.5” group at 750 yds

M
M
Originally Posted by 338reddog
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
[quote=VaHunter]I would say it is priceless because you have the most accurate 9lb - 6oz sporting hunting rifle ever created.

There's a lot of newbies that say they have a true sub .25 moa rifle. Let him live out his fantasy dream... It is a 300 Wby and although it shoots really well , it wont
do .25 mo.

That's ok. His won't either. And its actually depreciating in accuracy because a couple of years ago it would shoot .25 moa at "200" yds.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
your custom Weatherby Mark5 300 Win . Mag . value with scope $2000.00 maybe more ? the action alone is worth $750.00 . in my eyes that is a very nice rifle , i built a Weatherby Mark 5 with a 8 twist Brux barrel 257 Weatherby Mag. it shoots excellent too.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,546 guests, and 708 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,536
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.