Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Hello all!

I was wondering if you guys could help me out.

I always wanted a long-range rifle, so I decided to build one, I did not build it myself, I have a reputable gunsmith build it for me. I built is specifically for elk hunting because where I live whenever you get an opportunity to shoot they tend to be 500+ yards away lol

It is a Customized Sub-MOA Long Range Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight in 300 Win Mag, with a Huskemaw Blue Diamond 5-20x50

I had the factory barrel removed and replaced it with a Wilson Match Grade #3 Contour Barrel, I had the barrel fluted to reduce the weight and blued to match the rifle. To further improve its accuracy, I Glass Bedded the barrel, and it is Free Floating. I also worked on the trigger, and it is now under 2 lbs., very light to eliminate pulling. Weight with the scope: 9lbs 6oz.

This rifle is an exceptional Long Range Hunting rifle, a true Sub-MOA shooter, <.25 @ 100 yards

My question is: What would you guys place the value of this rifle, I know what it cost me to build, but I have no idea of its $$ value?

Cheers ~ KillerBee

Last edited by KillerBee; 09/23/22.

KB

GB1

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
I would say it is priceless because you have the most accurate 9lb - 6oz sporting hunting rifle ever created.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Value?
Do you want to sell it now?

Last edited by xphunter; 09/23/22. Reason: spelling

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thinking about it.

I have been hunting in the foothills for Elk. I am in my 60's now and I played Middle Linebacker for 15 years, so my knees are not what they use to be. The foothills are starting to look like Mount Everest lol

The turret was calibrated for Nosler Trophy Grade ABLRs in 180 grain, nice hunting rounds. The Wilson Match Grade Barrel loves them.

Cheers

KB

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
with the scope..1400-1500, without 8-900

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by VaHunter
I would say it is priceless because you have the most accurate 9lb - 6oz sporting hunting rifle ever created.

There's a lot of newbies that say they have a true sub .25 moa rifle. Let him live out his fantasy dream... Also, that would mean the rifle is 7 pounds 6 oz's by itself. Not much of an "ultralight". Wondering how much gain he really got by spending all that money on the barrel change? I wouldn't pay any more for the rifle the way it is than I would pay for a used sub moa weatherby. The last one I saw at one of the shops was $700, in like new condition. You can't call it an "ultralight" anymore either. That moniker went out the window with the barrel change and the substantial weight gain.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Hello all!
I always wanted a long-range rifle, so I decided to build one, I did not build it myself, I have a reputable gunsmith build it for me. I built is specifically for elk hunting because where I live whenever you get an opportunity to shoot they tend to be 500+ yards away lol
It is a Customized Sub-MOA Long Range Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight in 300 Win Mag, with a Huskemaw Blue Diamond 5-20x50
I had the factory barrel removed and replaced it with a Wilson Match Grade #3 Contour Barrel, I had the barrel fluted to reduce the weight and blued to match the rifle. To further improve its accuracy, I Glass Bedded the barrel, and it is Free Floating. I also worked on the trigger, and it is now under 2 lbs., very light to eliminate pulling. Weight with the scope: 9lbs 6oz.
This rifle is an exceptional Long Range Hunting rifle, a true Sub-MOA shooter, <.25 @ 100 yards
My question is: What would you guys place the value of this rifle, I know what it cost me to build, but I have no idea of its $$ value?

Cheers ~ KillerBee
I get it on the knee issue...mine sure are not what they used to be, and I didn't play football very long.
All things considered, it is a used rifle.
How many rounds through the tube? Not trying to be mean-spirited, but a Wilson barrel, doesn't automatically inspire confidence in me, whereas a Brux, Bartlein, Lilja, Krieger, hart, etc...or barrels in that class would.
Not saying your barrel doesn't shoot lights out, but since you are talking cost/value...
Who built it?
Rounds through it, the builder, and how well the barrel was taken care of? Bore guide used? I have seen more shooters/hunters hurt their barrel through cleaning it improperly than the wear of rounds through the tube....You might have taken care it in the best way possible...Which goes to my conclusion, it has the value of a used rifle.
The other thing I took note of, is that you are new here, and in some of your earliest posts, your asking about value, and possibly selling it.
Everyone starts at a forum at some point, and that is neither good nor bad.
You know how much you paid for it, and what you were charged to have customized, whatever the value truly is, it is less than you have in it.
And that would be true for most used rifles.
Best thing you could do, is find someone local, and let them shoot it, and if they fall in love with it, you will be able to likely sell it for more than on GB or a forum

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by VaHunter

There's a lot of newbies that say they have a true sub .25 moa rifle. Let him live out his fantasy dream... Also, that would mean the rifle is 7 pounds 6 oz's by itself. Not much of an "ultralight". Wondering how much gain he really got by spending all that money on the barrel change? I wouldn't pay any more for the rifle the way it is than I would pay for a used sub moa weatherby. The last one I saw at one of the shops was $700, in like new condition. You can't call it an "ultralight" anymore either. That moniker went out the window with the barrel change and the substantial weight gain.

Not the newbie you are thinking bsa1917, in fact with my bsa1917, I have shot well over 100 deer and about 15 moose lol. The bsa1917 I own is the only one of its kind on this planet. It also happens to be my ALL-TIME favorite hunting rifle :o)

Maybe I should have been more precise in my description.

The original rifle was a Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight, which happened to shoot like POO, the barrel was JUNK, which is most likely why Weatherby discontinued them. I called it exactly what it is.

It does weigh 9lbs 6 oz. with the modifications I made and unlike other off the shelf LR rifles it is not a tank at 13 to 16 lbs, and is a remarkable shooting rifle.

Cheers ~

KB

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by xphunter
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Hello all!

Cheers ~ KillerBee
I get it on the knee issue...mine sure are not what they used to be, and I didn't play football very long.
All things considered, it is a used rifle.
How many rounds through the tube? Not trying to be mean-spirited, but a Wilson barrel, doesn't automatically inspire confidence in me, whereas a Brux, Bartlein, Lilja, Krieger, hart, etc...or barrels in that class would.
Not saying your barrel doesn't shoot lights out, but since you are talking cost/value...
Who built it?
Rounds through it, the builder, and how well the barrel was taken care of? Bore guide used? I have seen more shooters/hunters hurt their barrel through cleaning it improperly than the wear of rounds through the tube....You might have taken care it in the best way possible...Which goes to my conclusion, it has the value of a used rifle.
The other thing I took note of, is that you are new here, and in some of your earliest posts, your asking about value, and possibly selling it.
Everyone starts at a forum at some point, and that is neither good nor bad.
You know how much you paid for it, and what you were charged to have customized, whatever the value truly is, it is less than you have in it.
And that would be true for most used rifles.
Best thing you could do, is find someone local, and let them shoot it, and if they fall in love with it, you will be able to likely sell it for more than on GB or a forum

Thank you for your comments xphunter!

You could spend more for a barrel than a Wilson Match Grade #3, but why bother if it shoots remarkably?

Personally, I have taken this rifle on 3 hunts and only have 17 rounds through it, so it is like new, as is the scope. The gunsmiths shot more rounds out of it when they set up the scope and calibrated the turret to find out which bullet it loved, not sure how many.

It was built by Corlane Sporting Goods Ltd in BC, who specialize in building LR rifles. I have about $5,500.00 into it.

I appreciate and understand you point of view, it is used, although hardly and I expect to take a loss.

I agree with your assessment 100% and the best thing to do is to find a local and let them shoot it, since the "Proof is in the pudding" lol

I wonder what happened to the chap that called me a "Newbie" I'll bet that at a range, let's say at 200 yards my bsa1917, mine will out preform his. I would bet a case of Bud Light on it, anyway, says the Newbie lol.

I can post some picture if you like?

Cheers ~

KB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is not the classified section.
I don't need to see a picture of a rifle...I very rarely shoot one, and hunt with one even less.
This is a LR portion of the forum, and FWIW, I like to start practicing at 300-400 yards with my specialty pistols.
There are some salty shooters on this section.
IF, I was a betting man (I am not), and I wanted to show off a LR rig and had goods on the line, I would want to start at 500 yards (5-shot groups), and then work our way out from there.
I know 500 yards is just in the mid-range world, but it is a good starting point

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I agree if you cannot shoot @ 500 yards and hit a 8" plate and get a good group, you should never consider shooting at an animal over 300 in the field IMO.

I noticed your Avatar and saw the pistol, very nice, well-done sir!

Cheers ~

KB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you sir.
If I was trying to sell some hunting XP-100's (which I am NOT), I would want to show off the gun and it's capabilities at 100 yards and further out.
I always want to confirm my own drops at distance, at least twice, before stretching things out.
One of my hunting XP's (6.5-284) at 575 yards - 10" plate, prone with a Harris bi-pod and a small field bag. 140 AB's with me shooting.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
There was an approximate 10 mph wind Dan and I were shooting at distance.
After load development, this is a 10-shot group at 100 yards, prone with the same bi-pod and field bag. Dan shot this 10-shot group
The more you shoot the larger your MOA will typically become.

Another hunting XP-100 for deer and antelope with the 90 grain AB (Which has a terrible BC).
6mm-284 with a 4.5-14 Leupold, just 3-shots at 400 yards (10" steel).

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Outrageous and Beautiful! Hate to tell you man but that gun is prettier than you! hehe

My favorite handgun that I owned in Quebec, Canada was a Colt Python .357 Magnum. I called it my "Lilypad Hopper Stopper" lol

Cheers~

KB

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
This is my favorite hunting machine, my bsa1917 with a custom and hand-crafted stock made by an awesome stocksmith. The signature on it is my father's signature on a sterling silver plate.

KB

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker

KB

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My best shot with my bsa1917 was this fella @ 530 yards.

KB

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Do I look like a Newbie? lol

KB

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great pictures! Excellent 1917. Nice stuff. I’ve heard Scotland builds a great rifle.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thank you beretzs, and thank you for your service!

Cheers ~

KB

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gitem_12
with the scope..1400-1500, without 8-900

1400 - 1500 with the scope, I don't think so,

This is the rifle I am speaking about. Cheers ~

KB

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,897 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,576
Posts18,453,975
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.