Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
ever been way away from home and run into someone you know?

I was in Hialeah, Florida [between Ft. Lauderdale/Miami] visiting my Snowbird Ohio Grandparents, I had forgotten something like ''all of my shirts''? and went to a Mall.
Walking along half daydreaming, I see two women I know, we all lived in Biloxi several hundred miles from home.
It's a surreal thing for a few seconds.

You?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Was in Florida for a long weekend vacation with the family. On the shuttle train at the airport, my 8 year old kid is talking to another kid like they've known each other forever. Turns out, they'd known each other since kindegarten as they both were in the same school back home in Missouri.

Was standing in line at a Walmart 15 miles from my hometown in Kansas, 100 miles from where we live. Wife gets a tap on the shoulder, turns around, and its a girl she went to high school with in central Texas, 10 hours away.

Was on a vacation in Port Aransas, Texas, 15 hours from home. Call or text (can't remember which) my old roommate from college to ask some random question, hadn't seen him in a few years. Ask what he is doing, he is on vacation in Port Aransas, Texas at the exact same time. We all hung out a few nights, so that was good timing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
grew up in a small 400 person coal mine town in West Virginia .went in Army .posted in Georgia , 11/2 years later , a kid a year below me in school and lived 2 miles from , joined the Army and was put in my company ..crazy

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I drew an elk hunt about 10 years ago in a highly coveted area of the state about six hours from home. It was the second bow hunt, so the first bow hunt was ongoing.

I was out scouting, driving around in the middle of the day in a new area that I hadn’t been. I came down a winding road overlooking a beautiful draw with a little creek running through it. Down in the meadow, there was a camp I could see from above. It was way back in the middle of nowhere and the road was really bad. There were two trailers. The camp was well cared for and really looked super. Fire ring made of metal, stacked firewood, nice floor mats outside of the trailer doors.

I made it a point to drive into the camp just to say hi and check it out. There was a guy sitting on a chair outside of the trailer getting suited up for the evening hunt. There’s another gentleman with him who had a video camera who was going to tagalong.

I pulled up, got out of the truck and started talking to him, complimenting on the camp and spot.

After about five minutes of conversation, A guy emerges out of the second trailer.

It was a friend I’ve known for years who lives in town and works out at the same gym. Turns out the first guy is his brother. We’ve all been close friends ever since

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Was in Hawaii on vacation and ran into a couple we use to go to church with.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
At one of the beaches years back, wife needed something one morning and stated "lets go, I'll shower, do hair etc later, it's not like I'm going to see anyone I know here'..........
Never fails grin

FJB & FJT
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Getting on the para-sail boat in Cabo, my kids (and their's) pretty much freaked out at seeing our next door neighbors from Barrow getting off the boat.

3 miles up a beautiful rocky canyon out of Loreto MX, we ran into people we know from Seward.

Moving to Fbks to attend UAF, I went into DMV to get an Ak DL. The lady behind the counter asked me if I'd ever met her sister, who for a time ran a cafe in our small town of 400 in central ND. That lady gave me cookies and milk on my way home in first grade while waiting for an older brother or sister to walk me a mile across a pasture. Those strange cows and bull were scary!

Winter wasn't a lot of fun either.

Went to my wife's class reunion in Miles City. Over against the wall nursing a beer was the cop who got me doing 35 in a 25 zone (it looks like a 35 road, dammit!) in Soldotna a couple weeks before. Married to a classmate of my wife.

Took the kids to Disneyland. First person we saw in the hotel lobby managed the local Craig Taylor.

Went to Hawaii on vacation, ran into my Nevada brother and wife...

In the Serengheti camp last November, the other couple in our "group", were a bit surprised to see a Mexican associate of Fernando's (Miami) walk into the dining hall.

My favorite, tho, is a local school teacher couple who decided to hit the nude beach in Hawaii. "No one will ever know"

Except their next door neighbors here in Soldotna.... smile

Last edited by las; 09/23/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
My dad worked with the US Forest Service years ago. Went to a conference in Edmonton, Alberta. Settled in at the hotel and went to be bar for a drink or two. Looked down the bar and there was my first cousin from SC sitting on the other end.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Was in an elevator at a Wyndham hotel in Chicago on vacation when I recognized a voice from back of the cab......

Turned out to be a college classmate from 35 plus years earlier who was attending a conference at the hotel.......we didnt recognize each other and he barely remembered me....

We both attended Clemson, majored in architecture.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I was walking down the sidewalk just outside the chow hall at Torrejón AFB (Madrid) when I heard someone yell my name. Turned around to see an old high school friend, we were on the football team together. He was in the AF Academy and traveling through Europe visiting Greece, I was tdy in support of the European Tanker Task Force. Greece had a little dust-up with Crete, we evacuated some Americans and aircraft out of Greece to get them out of the line of fire.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
I was walking down the sidewalk just outside the chow hall at Torrejón AFB (Madrid) when I heard someone yell my name. Turned around to see an old high school friend, we were on the football team together. He was in the AF Academy and traveling through Europe visiting Greece, I was tdy in support of the European Tanker Task Force. Greece had a little dust-up with Crete, we evacuated some Americans and aircraft out of Greece to get them out of the line of fire.

When I was on Crete, it was hard to find anybody that didn't hate Athens, and its politicians.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
A month or so back a neighbor guy I used to live down the road from in MN when I was a kid came into work to pick up a load. It's about 725 miles from there to here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ya ever hear the story about the little black boy that met his father?

Yeah, me neither.

LOL
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by local_dirt

When I was on Crete, it was hard to find anybody that didn't hate Athens, and its politicians.
I've heard that but don't remember why...
We had a RC-135 on the ground in Greece that had a bad NLG tire. They flew a few KC-135s in to do the evac, stole a tire off of one of them to get the RC out of there right quick. The KC flew out a day later when another tire was flown in.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by local_dirt

I've heard that but don't remember why...
We had a RC-135 on the ground in Greece that had a bad NLG tire. They flew a few KC-135s in to do the evac, stole a tire off of one of them to get the RC out of there right quick. The KC flew out a day later when another tire was flown in.

Another quotable was, We don't need anything from them. Except doctors.

I think they're hatred stemmed from taxes that were levied on them that they never saw benefit from. The Olympic Stadium, for example.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Years ago in north central PA, I hired a payroll secretary who had grown up in north central OH - 300 miles away. She'd met her husband at college on the PA/OH border and they moved back to his home town to start their life together. Same thing with my wife and I. Turns out she and my wife were on the exact same field trip to Paris back in their high school days.

Fast forward 20 years. My wife and I'd moved to the southern end of PA and were on a vacation with a tour company in Italy. Sitting around the hotel in Rome in a conversation with others in the group we learned that one of them was the mother of that payroll secretary's best friend in high school.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Was at a convention in Jacksonville Fla, 1000 plus miles from home. In hotel lobby. Elevator door opened and out walked a guy I had worked with years ago but had not seen in a few years. He was vacationing.

NRA Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In line to check out at Walmart in Fallon NV. Was just passing through town, never been there before. Guy in front of me turned out to be a fellow airman I had flown with years before at McClellan AFB in Sacramento. He was at that time the mayor of Austin NV.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Was in a restaurant halfway across the country from home. Guy ivenever seen walks up and says, "excuse me, but my wife thinks she knows you."
I look over where he's pointing, and it's a gal that I went to school with, all 12 years. Hadn't seen her in 30 plus years. Turns out, she was an Air Force nurse, and was stationed at the base there.

"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Worked with a guy in the military, both stationed in Michigan. He moved to South Carolina to take a different job. A year or so later, I went to Germany for a training exercise and was returning home thru Frankfurt airport, and he’s boarding the same plane, having just come from Poland and an unrelated exercise. We had a beer or two.

Old70

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
220 members (257 mag, 2UP, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 24 invisible), 1,605 guests, and 892 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,923
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.