Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I was resizing some once fired 270 Win cases for my great grandson to load for his rifle. A case struck in the die and the cheap tap I used broke off in the hole I drilled through the primer hole.

Any suggestions as to removing the case? I tried a different remover that replaces the shell holder and clamps onto the case but that pulled out before the case even budged. I'm thinking of putting the die in a vice and, using a 1/4" rod inserted through the neck, hitting the rod with a hammer. That is not cast in stone so am open to any suggestions. Right now I have the head sitting in a jar of Liquid Wrench hoping some seeps through. I did buy a new resizing die but if I can save the old one I'll return the die I just bought.

Thanks for any ideas.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It's worth a go.

My worst stuck case scenario was a case head separation in the die. I went at it assuming the die would be ruined in the process but thought I'd try anyway. I hammered a small screwdriver between the case and the die forcing the brass towards the centreline of the case. Then I hammered a rod onto that brass from the open neck end of the die, and it came out. The die was unmarked and good to go.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I use a stuck case remover kit. Unscrew the die, drill into the case then tap it. Screw a bolt into the case and pull it out. Works like a charm.

Campfire Sage
Online Content
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by himmelrr
I use a stuck case remover kit. Unscrew the die, drill into the case then tap it. Screw a bolt into the case and pull it out. Works like a charm.

That, get some Imperial sizing wax!

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Heat the die a bit, thermal expansion, etc.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
+1 on the Imperial Sizing Wax, never had a stuck case using it. Try it, you'll like it !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I understand your situation, you have a broken tap in the stuck case. If you go to an industrial supply place like Grainger or Fastenal they have broken tap removers which have fingers that go into the broken tap's flutes and allow you to back the tap out. While you are there you can buy a good tap, some tapping fluid and the correct size tap drill.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Pull the decapping pin/expander ball out of the top of the die. You may need to fabricate a makeshift puller to pull it out (vise grip on the decapping pin nut, a few blocks of wood and a bench vise will get you there) and once you have the pin out, cradle the die body with the stuck case in a vise and pound the case out with a punch and hammer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You already have the solution. It is the replacement die you bought. All the other suggestions are an annoyance and if your time is worth anything at all, just use the new die and remember to lube your cases better…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by himmelrr

That, get some Imperial sizing wax!

Imperial wax has no peer.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Blacktailer hit it +2

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
I'm thinking of putting the die in a vice and, using a 1/4" rod inserted through the neck, hitting the rod with a hammer. That is not cast in stone so am open to any suggestions. Right now I have the head sitting in a jar of Liquid Wrench hoping some seeps through. I did buy a new resizing die but if I can save the old one I'll return the die I just bought. Thanks for any ideas.

I helped a local guy (new to reloading) a couple weeks ago with the same situation....broken tap and all.

First...don't clamp the die in a vise.

Since the case is tapered, you only have to move it a small amount for it to come free. The die needs to be held solidly so it's the case that moves, not the die, when you smack it. And w/o damaging the die.

Just screw the die back into the press and tighten it down. Since you have the internals removed, use a steel rod or bolt from the top and with it resting on the top of the broken tap, smack the rod/bolt with a hammer that's heavy enough so you don't have to swing it at warp speed...let the weight of the hammer do the work.

Once the case is out, you can tidy up the inside of the die with some steel wool wrapped around a bore mop or brush with a bit of JB, Iosso, Flitz, etc. in a drill.

Hope this helps. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by shrapnel
You already have the solution. It is the replacement die you bought. All the other suggestions are an annoyance and if your time is worth anything at all, just use the new die and remember to lube your cases better…

This ^^^^^^^^
If it's a RCBS die you can send it to them and they will fix it for free.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Sometimes a small tap like this can be backed out with a pneumatic or even an electric engraver by pushing anti-clockwise if you can find even the smallest purchase for the tip on the broken end. Then take care with the next tap. I’m assuming you have a stuck case removal kit and know how to proceed from there. Also it never hurts to have Lanolin or Minkoil handy in your reloading space. They are cheap and as good as any case lube and are there handy in any event if you run out of your preferred lube. I know that’s how I stuck my first case ran out of the RCBS lube that came with my Christmas present Master Kit. Well I thought REM-Oil was magic at the time and figure that Teflon juice would be the ticket. No so much. Stuck the second 300 Weatherby case tight as could be. Luckily the local sports emporium had a RCBS stuck case removal kit handy.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have stuck MAYBE half-a-dozen over the years, and have some comments on what's been posted so far:

Imperial Sizing Die Wax works great--but Forster just sent me a new super-lube that so far in extreme tests has proven to be very good as well. (Will be reporting on on it an article soon, after some more tests.)

Have used all the methods so far mentioned to get stuck cases out, but will note that the last time it happened (when I was testing a new, so-called "fail-proof" stuck-case extractor tool, which didn't work) I couldn't find my old, commercially-made stuck case remover. So went to a local hardware store in my small town and spent less than $3 on the same basic stuff--which amounts to a drill and tap and screw, which did work.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by gunswizard
+1 on the Imperial Sizing Wax, never had a stuck case using it. Try it, you'll like it !

Yep

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
So went to a local hardware store in my small town and spent less than $3 on the same basic stuff--which amounts to a drill and tap and screw, which did work.

Yep, same here. But since got a small lathe several years back, I chuck the die up, drill out the case head, and with a small boring bar and tool bit bar, I take skin cuts off the brass body until it is very thin. Then it will usually peel back w enough to get a pair of needle nose pliers to grab what is left. The first 1/2inch of the brass is usually what is stuck hard. The rest comes out easily. A lot of times the brass brakes free when cutting it out with the boring bar.

I have not done it for a long time. 2-3 times you learn enough to not get the brass stuck in the first place.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
"2-3 times you learn enough to not get the brass stuck in the first place."

Yep!

Though I have probably done it twice as often--while loading a LOT more rounds than most.

As noted the last time was deliberate, while testing a tool that supposedly would yank 'em out with any press.

To test it, I started sizing a .308 Winchester round with my "average" amount of Imperial, which of course sized easily.

Then I sized another "dry" case without lubing it, which also came out pretty easily. After about 4 unlubed cases, one stuck--whereupon I tried the magic tool, and in the press I own with the most leverage--a Redding Big Boss II--it would NOT come out.

Which is when I looked for the stuck-case removal kit I hadn't used for years--and then went to the hardware store....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don’t forget with all the good advice, there is a tap broken off in the end of the stuck case!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by GSPfan
Originally Posted by shrapnel

This ^^^^^^^^
If it's a RCBS die you can send it to them and they will fix it for free.

You already have a new die so send the screwed up die to mfg & let them fix it. I know RCBS does this for free & includes a good interior polish. Perhaps other die makers will too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
820 members (10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 117LBS, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,048 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,218
Posts18,371,044
Members73,764
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.