D
LOVE IT

GB1

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
just found a period correct aperture, have a sling also with the hook, swivels coming next week. so fortunate to find this unmolested gun

Attached Images
image1.jpeg (29.57 KB, 220 downloads)
image0 (3).jpeg (25.96 KB, 218 downloads)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Demingus
just found a period correct aperture, have a sling also with the hook, swivels coming next week. so fortunate to find this unmolested gun
VERY fortunate!!! Of the 50 plus thousand rifles produced, a large percentage have been altered in some form.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
54 gurus, I have somewhere seen it in print that there was a significant change made in the 54 in later production, incorporating something like a factory speed lock, and maybe some minor changes to facilitate the mounting of scopes? Can anybody enlighten me?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I only have one, IMO, the best:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Not pretty, but fun!

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by z1r

Not pretty, but fun!

Very Pretty

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by flintlocke
54 gurus, I have somewhere seen it in print that there was a significant change made in the 54 in later production, incorporating something like a factory speed lock, and maybe some minor changes to facilitate the mounting of scopes? Can anybody enlighten me?

Mid production they improved the lock time rifles with the A in SN indicate this. My 1930 made 54 has the A. So who know what year this took place. Far as scope mounting very doubtful. Their was a time you could send your 54 in for a rebuild. This was in the 30’s after the model 70 came out. Anyhow Winchester would refurbish your 54 using model 70 bolt etc.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by z1r

Not pretty, but fun!

If you're going to have but one, the .30-30 would be it. Or a Hornet. Or a.....🙂

I never cared a whit about not being able to mount a modern scope on one. By following the protocols of the time period and mounting a target scope for precision work, utilizing the two factory holes on the receiver ring and the barrel dovetail, you can do anything with it - including hunting. The old Unertl and Fecker small game scopes work a treat with their 4x and 6x magnification (and aren't limited to small game) - and you don't have to alter the bolt handle and drill extra holes.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by z1r

Not pretty, but fun!

If you're going to have but one, the .30-30 would be it. Or a Hornet. Or a.....🙂

I never cared a whit about not being able to mount a modern scope on one. By following the protocols of the time period and mounting a target scope for precision work, utilizing the two factory holes on the receiver ring and the barrel dovetail, you can do anything with it - including hunting. The old Unertl and Fecker small game scopes work a treat with their 4x and 6x magnification (and aren't limited to small game) - and you don't have to alter the bolt handle and drill extra holes.

This is why I was so happy to find this particular example; it came with the Lyman sight. At the distances the .30-30 is effective at, the receiver sight is perfect. Light, handy, mild recoil. Makes a great cast bullet rifle.
A .22 Hornet sure would be fun.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by z1r
At the distances the .30-30 is effective at, the receiver sight is perfect. Light, handy, mild recoil. Makes a great cast bullet rifle.

You're right, z1r! Even with my 73 year old eyes, mine (pictured earlier) does pretty well.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
As I recall the earliest model 54's had two piece firing pins very similar to M1903 Springfields. Fairly early on they went to the one piece improved firing pin ignition system.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Was that, or was it not, the addition of an A suffix to the serial numbers?

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have seen a couple of M54s with M70 bolt assemblies

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by 79S

Mid production they improved the lock time rifles with the A in SN indicate this. My 1930 made 54 has the A. So who know what year this took place. Far as scope mounting very doubtful. Their was a time you could send your 54 in for a rebuild. This was in the 30’s after the model 70 came out. Anyhow Winchester would refurbish your 54 using model 70 bolt etc.
Thanks, Another guy on Cast Boolits read my question, above serial 20,500 is the improved striker fall, with an A suffix. My 54 is an early one but it has a 70 bolt sleeve and wears a scope nicely with what appears to be a home built Pachmayr safety. No collector for sure but good grief what a shooter. The inletting is so perfect, at first glance you would think it was glass bedded.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My model 54 shoots 180 partitions with rl22 or h4831 very well

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by knivesforme
Was that, or was it not, the addition of an A suffix to the serial numbers?
The A suffix addition to the serial number indicates a extractor upgrade to the bolt design.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Nice. I've got a pre-war 70 in really nice shape with the same sights on it. Mine's in .30-06.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by 79S

Thanks, Another guy on Cast Boolits read my question, above serial 20,500 is the improved striker fall, with an A suffix. My 54 is an early one but it has a 70 bolt sleeve and wears a scope nicely with what appears to be a home built Pachmayr safety. No collector for sure but good grief what a shooter. The inletting is so perfect, at first glance you would think it was glass bedded.

Your right about the inletting. The wood to metal on mine is the best I’ve ever had on a rifle better than the 1950 model
70 I had and most other rifles I’ve seen custom or not.
I found mine about 20 years ago at a gun show, I bout shoved my brother down to get past him when I seen it on the table. I’ve only seen a handful over the years and most had been poorly modified in some way. I love the M54 stock it was made for the Lyman peep site, you cannot shoulder the rifle and not be looking exactly thru the peep aperture. They really knew how to stock a rifle for iron sites back then. Now I don’t think anyone bothers when they just slap a scope on it stock fit is pointless.

Last edited by Dp1975; 09/25/22.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The Model 54 Winchester, assorted thoguths re above Posts.

Background: Made from 1925 to 1936 as superceded by the famous Model 70. A range of models & chamberings including target variations, quite rare! Below the most common several variations typically encountered.

1. Early & late era stock versions, reflecting three common variations. Newer and early models plus early carbine.

2. Barrel variations, four. Rifle @ 24" and carbine (renamed) short rifle @ 20". Early & late variations. Early notably with "post style integral front sight and later featuring svelte integral front ramp. Associated nomenclature adjustments including location of such as chambering data.

3. Action, three principal variations of basic functionality and evolutionary variations such as reflected in the "A" Serial suffix. The substantial action differences as "standard", modified receiver plus for the "30 WCF" chambering and accommodatons for the .22 Hornet. The standard and 30 WCF as with and without clip slot accommodations, respectively. That major style difference expiring in 1930 with the end of such "rimmed round" production pending the .22 Hornet and no such fundamental receiver change accommodation.

Background. The Model 54 born in 1925 offered in 30-06 and introducing the 270 Winchester. By 1926 additional chambering in the works and by the following year, a small plethora including metric chamberings of which 7mm most popular. The "Great Depresson" hitting in'29 and heavily impacating commerce to the expiration of the Model 54 in 1936. Replaced as quickly overshadowed by the legendary Winchester Model 70. The Model 54 was a great 'era' rifle constrained by depression era and TKO as the Model 70 arrived. Itself a very nice, well designed and worthy rifle born into a difficult era. Winchester none the less making some 50K of them and production envyable. Central competitor Remington Model 30. Just to say that in that Models 19 years of production, not even half as much as Wichester 54 eleven production years. Nuff said there!

MOdel 54 strengths & weaknesses. Strong nickel steel constructon morphed to "Winchester Proof Steel", aka crhome moly, in the newer barrel configutation. A clean sheet design, contrasted to Remington Model 1917 revamped to Model 3o. 54 lighter, more maneuverable and ergonomics of "handier". Judgement factors here, a matter of opinon from owning a variety of both. Compared to "mauser" the bandwidth as across the board from highly customed to truck guns, just to say, the mausers capable of being about everything of the 54 "on average".
The weaknesses as pundits proclaiming. Original stock design criicised (as Remington 30 too) and such driving the "new era stock pattern. A so-so trigger in not being 'all that it could be' without major redesign. A bolt stop trigger mechanism 'combo' critisized as "less substantial than competitors. ***

Bubba Effect. Comparatively not so much but then also deemed less dastardly than as affecting a pristine Model 70. "Comparative loss." Extra holes, not so many. "Scoping" as the mauser genre, requiring bolt, safety and tapping. Not many afternarket scopes in 54 days nor $$ to acquire them with gunsmithing work too. A different 'era' less of scoping. Recoil pads, definitely 'there'. An uncommon factory option era. First in no 'mag' chamberings requiring and ruber compositon more fragile. Likely main reason the turn around time for factory order in days of steam postal and package deliveries!

Conclusion. For years the Winchester Model 54 barely achieving 'also ran' as the shadow of the Model 70. Often the great Lyman aperture Model 48 as a factory option reaching store shelves 'rack availability'. Less impetus to 'scope' particularly as delicate optics of the day!

The Model 54 as "uncommon" and also as-found bargains in bread & butter chamberings. What's not to appreciate? Just an overview and

Just to take!
Best!
John

The ironic postscript of a deja vous feeling as concluding this. Back to note a Gunboards era of old Thread and 'woah'! There my earlier "Primer" - Web link below. Sadly a bunch of photos long lost but the narative withstandng! A sad momentary pause in respect of GB member Icmun. His words of wisdom there. Now long since passed from us!

Ref: https://www.gunboards.com/threads/the-winchester-model-54-a-primer.129077/

Last edited by iskra; 09/26/22.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hey all, I'll tag onto this post.

Today I came across a M 54 in 270 WCF at a local gun store.

It is in good shape at best.
Stock is a bit beat up but the Bluing looks pretty good.

By the SN it was made in 1925 and from what I can tell is all original.

Owner is asking $900.00.

Is he in the ball park at that price?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

415 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 35 invisible), 2,257 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,494
Posts18,452,373
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.