Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#17628634 09/22/22
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
….is nowhere to be found, save for a few boxes of core-lokts and some ELD-Xs.

So WTH, did all the ammo companies decide to quit loading 338 at the same time? I get the shortages, and runs, etc, but I never thought almost EVERYTHING would be unavailable.

I guess I’ll see how 225gr core-lokts kill elk. In a gun that big, bullet selection can’t be too particular.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're one of the guys who prefers to shoot elk within 250 yards, relative accuracy isn't really critical. Core loks may seem pretty pedestrian but I've seen them kill just about every animal I can think of and recovered a bunch of them for guys and they always had a perfect mushroom. They shoot very well in a lot of rifles also... give them a try and see how they shoot in your rifle.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm with Bob, if they shoot, I wouldn't worry too much them working fine.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Assuming that they have decent accuracy from your rifle, you could do far worse than the CoreLock! It will work fine as long as you don’t try an extreme “raking” shot! JMO. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Don't know about Core-Lokt's but I wouldn't worry.
I do know Hornady 225 Spire Points work just fine!

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
They perform nicely in a 338. 👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I have not seen 338 win mag in over 2 years. I asked the Barnes rep at the Hunting Expo last year about it. He said they had finally got primers and brass to manufacture. They are here in Utah and I still haven’t seen any.

They have become a unicorn 🦄

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Interesting. I just saw 200 rounds yesterday when going through my ammo supply. I haven't had to look for factory 338wm in more than 20 years.. With that being said, there's no elk that the 338 225gr coreloct will bounce off of. I'd use them if that is all I had. Now really isn't the time to be worried about finding ammo for elk season though. I would have been on that way in advance. When was the last time you shot that rifle????

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Not just ammo. Try to find a new production 338 win mag rifle that's not a mossberg, savage, or ruger.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
Not just ammo. Try to find a new production 338 win mag rifle that's not a mossberg, savage, or ruger.

Why, when there are so many good used rifles out there? Ruger m77's, pre 64 Winchester model 70's, and classic model 70's... Just sayin.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Sleepy
Campfire Regular
post deleted

Last edited by Beretta_Shooter916; 09/23/22.

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Now really isn't the time to be worried about finding ammo for elk season though. I would have been on that way in advance. When was the last time you shot that rifle????

I know.

I reload and have another .338, but we moved a few months ago and all of my reloading stuff is packed up and I want to use my new rifle.

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Why, when there are so many good used rifles out there? Ruger m77's, pre 64 Winchester model 70's, and classic model 70's... Just sayin.

That’s what I did. Found a classic stainless 70, had the 26” barrel cut back to 23” and put it in a bansner stock that I finished myself.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

With some exceptions prices for used are not much below new, so

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Even though core-lokts have changed over the years, they always worked for me. I'd guess roughly have the elk I've killed was with the 338.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

That's true but lots of models aren't in production or discontinued. If your an lefty like me it's used unless your paying for soemthing custom or semi custom. I'm just darn lucky to have found a new Ruger 338RCM some years back and more recently an Ruger 338win and Winchester M70 338win. All lefties BTW. Availability is an huge issue past few years.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Used gun Prices are way below new prices. You just have to be smart and find the deals..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bellydeep

That’s what I did. Found a classic stainless 70, had the 26” barrel cut back to 23” and put it in a bansner stock that I finished myself.

Sounds damn near perfect. Hard to go wrong with a classic model 70. Blued or stainless, either one.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Belly,.

I hunted and killed many elk with an 8mm Rem Mag shooting a 220 grain Hornady interlock. The interlock is not substantially different from the core lock. Keep your shots within reason for what ever accuracy you get from the core locks and hunt with confidence. I shoot elk with a 7mm 162 grain ELDX these days and am here to tell you the ELDX will do the same. You can not go wrong with either bullet.

8mmwapiti

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sounds damn near perfect. Hard to go wrong with a classic model 70. Blued or stainless, either one.

That b!tch ate up a new Burris FFII 3-9x40 tonight.

I guess I’ll see if she can whip a 6x36 Leupold.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 257 mag, 69 invisible), 2,766 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.