Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I had offered my HVA '06 with Leupold 2-7x33 on the classifieds. Had some bites, no takers.

One guy asked if the HVA crest was on the receiver ring. I couldn't remember, so I removed the scope and front base to confirm it was.

Handling this 6# rifle gave me an idea. If I mount a very low, compact red dot sight, thinking maybe a reflex version, this would be a wickedly fast handling '06, about like a high end bird gun.

Question: Given that scenario, what would be the best option?

DF

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Hello DF,

Interesting thought and topic!

Maybe some of those upper-Midwest whitetail guys will chime in. I’ve head of a good number that do just that.

As an aside, I picked up a couple of Burris red dots from PSA on close out that I plan to put on a couple of short ARs, one in .233 and one in 300 BO.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'd rather have something like this:
https://www.eurooptic.com/Trijicon-...uplex-30mm-Satin-Black-Riflescope-2.aspx
Could turn up the magnification for longer shots if needed. I might consider a red dot on a slug gun.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by BillyE
I'd rather have something like this:
https://www.eurooptic.com/Trijicon-...uplex-30mm-Satin-Black-Riflescope-2.aspx
Could turn up the magnification for longer shots if needed. I might consider a red dot on a slug gun.
Sorta bigger than I was thinking, but should work.

Those are great scopes. I mounted a 1-4 with triangle orange post on my Bud's .416 Rem, M-70 that he used to kill a nice buff in South Africa.

I'll think about that.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have my latest FN, hampered by being d&t for some obsolete mount and a low stock comb, fitted with a Lyman peep and have a Vortex Sparc 2 on the receiver. The pic shows the base, but not the sight. It has a 2MOA dot and is pretty precise.

[Linked Image]

The Sparc is staying for the season, then I’ll fit the ramp with the higher front sight it needs. This seems to be how the driven boar boys mount theirs.

Can’t believe that rifle of yours didn’t sell. If you’d offered it before I saw this one, it’d be mine.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Well, guess the timing wasn't right for those who were looking.

Maybe I'm supposed to keep it and re-constitute it into something pretty interesting.

Isn't it funny, how we can take a safe queen and discover new concepts on what it could be...

Loony stuff, for sure.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Well, had this one on an AR. Took it off the high mount, attached the low mount. Reversed the front base, filed a new recoil screw slot and mounted it.

Seems lower than the scope, but I'd like something even lower, more streamline. It does handle kinda like I thought it would. Interesting innovation.

It comes up faster and easier than the AR, holds steadier once shouldered. But, a "bird gun" is gonna handle a heap better than an AR.

Wouldn't ya know. Made in China, causes cancer in California. At least I can stay out of CA, have no business in China, either.

Other than the political rant, what ya think?

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your premise is sound, taking a pound or more off of a rifle and lowering the center of gravity changes the handling markedly for the better.

I've mounted reflex sights on a Ruger M77 and No. 1 and they work fine. As to the "best" reflex sight, take your pick. I've used Burris Fastfire III's mostly because they make a neat little mount specifically to fit the Ruger built in bases but any reputable sight will do. I've also mounted the Sig Romeo5 on a Ruger 10/22, Savage Mk II and just for grins a Remington Model 700 .243. With a picatinny style you can mount it on pretty much any Weaver type base, I used a single rear Weaver base to put the Romeo on the M700. It hung over the front of the base some and looked funky but it worked fine and didn't come loose.

The Romeo5's 2 MOA dot gives you a finer aiming point vs. the Burris 3 MOA and it has more brightness settings but in actual use it doesn't make a lot of difference. Being able to see the target well is the limiting factor, just like a peep sight. The Sig, even with the low mount, will put your line of sight about the same height as a low mounted scope; the Burris' height in a picatinny mount is about halfway between a scope and a peep sight.

I've also looked into something other than a dot reticle and unfortunately there isn't much out there suitable for rifle use. Those circle and dot reticles seem like they'd work but the circles are on the order of 62 MOA so way too big. Holosun makes one sight with an 8 MOA circle which might work, but again putting theory aside and going off of experience, a small dot works just fine - as long as your target is big enough so it doesn't completely hide behind the dot.

Both sights are pretty inexpensive, I've seen the Romeo5 as low as $75 or $80 NIB on ebay. Amazon puts the Burris on sale now and then, I bought three of them when they were at $168, that's with the picatinny mount.

As to aesthetics, I like the Burris in a rearward position but the individual rifle might not allow that.

My faux Pre-war Sporter Model 77 with a 21st century sighting system.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like that set up. May need to look into that one, put the Romeo back on the AR.

DF

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Not specifically what you are after but I am pretty pleased with one of these on my Ruger PC Carbine. I bought it to give it a try and will likely move it to a hunting rifle.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022578844?pid=467523

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You just might be glad it didn’t go. Shore is a purty one!

Appears that comb is lower than mine, so I can see how it wouldn’t quite get where you want to go.

I zeroed mine last week at 50, then just for giggles took some whacks at a 9” 200 yard gong (from a rest!). First shot went clang. Shoulda quit there because the next four didn’t, but I was having trouble staying on it because the dot covered it because of flare. Bigger target would’ve been better.

Warne bases are a bit lower than the Weaver, maybe 3/16”. As to COO of red dots, very few are born anywhere but the PRC, Burris is one IIRC.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
rj308 put me onto the Bushnell LilP prism sight, the smallest I know of and now discontinued. Prisms are like small 1x scopes, so can be focused, and the reticle in the LilP allows very fine aiming, finer than irons I think. Downside is limited eye relief, so placement is less flexible than a red dot. Where you have your sight is the best place for a prism.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
saj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Leupold DPP and a Aimpoint H2. Mounted the H2 on my rem 7600 358 win, it works great. I like how easy it is to adjust the red dot, also I like the lens covers. With the DPP adjusting the red dot is a pain and you have to be careful not to get any debris in the front IE snow if you do the red dot will not project on the lens.

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
I bought two Aimpoint "Nano" red dots for this specific purpose and can not be happier. Very small but great viewing.

I am buying QD bases for them on my brush guns so they can be swapped out with optics when they are a better choice.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Your premise is sound, taking a pound or more off of a rifle and lowering the center of gravity changes the handling markedly for the better.

I've mounted reflex sights on a Ruger M77 and No. 1 and they work fine. As to the "best" reflex sight, take your pick. I've used Burris Fastfire III's mostly because they make a neat little mount specifically to fit the Ruger built in bases but any reputable sight will do. I've also mounted the Sig Romeo5 on a Ruger 10/22, Savage Mk II and just for grins a Remington Model 700 .243. With a picatinny style you can mount it on pretty much any Weaver type base, I used a single rear Weaver base to put the Romeo on the M700. It hung over the front of the base some and looked funky but it worked fine and didn't come loose.

The Romeo5's 2 MOA dot gives you a finer aiming point vs. the Burris 3 MOA and it has more brightness settings but in actual use it doesn't make a lot of difference. Being able to see the target well is the limiting factor, just like a peep sight. The Sig, even with the low mount, will put your line of sight about the same height as a low mounted scope; the Burris' height in a picatinny mount is about halfway between a scope and a peep sight.

I've also looked into something other than a dot reticle and unfortunately there isn't much out there suitable for rifle use. Those circle and dot reticles seem like they'd work but the circles are on the order of 62 MOA so way too big. Holosun makes one sight with an 8 MOA circle which might work, but again putting theory aside and going off of experience, a small dot works just fine - as long as your target is big enough so it doesn't completely hide behind the dot.

Both sights are pretty inexpensive, I've seen the Romeo5 as low as $75 or $80 NIB on ebay. Amazon puts the Burris on sale now and then, I bought three of them when they were at $168, that's with the picatinny mount.

As to aesthetics, I like the Burris in a rearward position but the individual rifle might not allow that.

My faux Pre-war Sporter Model 77 with a 21st century sighting system.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Ok. You win. That's an really classic looking rifle with the advantage of modern sighting, and it's left handed to boot ❤. I've got an Browning BLR set up with an Romeo 5 and lefty Ruger 375 alaskan with Aumpoint 9000l. I really need to do the Burris like yours on my Ruger 30-06 because this year my eyes changed and I can't see my iron sights clearly thru my corrected lenses only without my prescription and that limits range big-time. I'm in the old fart Era now.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm in the old fart Era now.

It only hurts for a little while………….

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The more I look at Jim’s setup on his Ruger, the better I like it. The Romeo on this HVA, front ring mount, just not that appealing. And it’s at least as high as the scope was. With the low comb, a very low reflex red dot set up is what I’m looking for.

Romeo goes back on the AR.

Thanks for all the ideas.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Burris makes dedicated mounting plates for select firearms that eliminate the Weaver/PIC base, putting the FF very low. I though about one for my 336 before going with a Warne base and a 2.5 scope.

A clever and handy person might be able to get one cobbled up for say, a Mauser-like object, or have it made.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Dirt,

I'd take a hard look at the Horosun 510:

https://holosun.com/index/product/detail/id/124.html

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
The best option? An Aimpoint Micro.

In the world of red dot optics, there is Aimpoint, then everyone else.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've tried holographic red dots on my rifles, shotgun and handgun do to vision problems. I like them on my handgun and surprisingly my bow. On rifles and shotguns (for coyote hunting) I have to mount them too high to get a decent cheek weld and have my head bobbing around trying to use them. I can mount a Leupold 1-4 very low and find it a much better option. There are straight tube scopes with illuminated dots also that you can mount low and use just as you would a red dot plus you have the option to turn them up for longer shots.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I had offered my HVA '06 with Leupold 2-7x33 on the classifieds. Had some bites, no takers.

One guy asked if the HVA crest was on the receiver ring. I couldn't remember, so I removed the scope and front base to confirm it was.

Handling this 6# rifle gave me an idea. If I mount a very low, compact red dot sight, thinking maybe a reflex version, this would be a wickedly fast handling '06, about like a high end bird gun.

DF

I have that exact same rifle set up much the same way, and it's a tack driver like yours. Dots don't work well with my astigmatism, but I've used them enough on Glocks and black rifles to understand them even if my proficiency isn't what I'd like.

A peep and a high-visibility front sight can give you much of the same effect for a lot less money, and the stock geometry should be just about perfect. That said, scopes work better than a peep in low light so I'd try a fixed 2.5x or 4x scope.

Also, a six-pound 30-06 will reveal the true value of a good recoil pad like the one on your rifle.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by okie john

DF

I have that exact same rifle set up much the same way, and it's a tack driver like yours. Dots don't work well with my astigmatism, but I've used them enough on Glocks and black rifles to understand them even if my proficiency isn't what I'd like.

A peep and a high-visibility front sight can give you much of the same effect for a lot less money, and the stock geometry should be just about perfect. That said, scopes work better than a peep in low light so I'd try a fixed 2.5x or 4x scope.

Also, a six-pound 30-06 will reveal the true value of a good recoil pad like the one on your rifle.

Okie John
Now that you mention that, I'm currently looking at the Williams WGRS-FN peep sight and a fiberoptic front sight. It's the lowest combo possible, considering the low comb. It's the most streamline option. Receiver sights may entail cutting a notch in the stock, which I'm not wanting to do.

And you're right, a LOT less money.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Haven't punched a tag with it yet, but this little Holosun on my Mark X 06 is sublime. IMHO

MAGA
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

DF

Okie John
Now that you mention that, I'm currently looking at the Williams WGRS-FN peep sight and a fiberoptic front sight. It's the lowest combo possible, considering the low comb. It's the most streamline option. Receiver sights may entail cutting a notch in the stock, which I'm not wanting to do.

DF

Try the Williams without the aperture that screws into the peep. Just as precise but way faster once you learn to trust it.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Haven't punched a tag with it yet, but this little Holosun on my Mark X 06 is sublime. IMHO

Now, that's a handy looking set up.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Now, that's a handy looking set up.

DF

I’d planned on a low power variable, but put that on on a whim. It might as well be welded on now. My new favorite rig. Cheek weld with the stock is perfect, close your eyes and shoulder it and the dot is right there. Pushing 200 gr partitions it’ll do anything I need it to.

There is some fisheye to the sight, but seems ok. Proof will be in the pudding.

MAGA
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
The best option? An Aimpoint Micro.

In the world of red dot optics, there is Aimpoint, then everyone else.

Strong effort, retard.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

Okie John

DF

Try the Williams without the aperture that screws into the peep. Just as precise but way faster once you learn to trust it.

Okie John
I'm familiar with that concept and will definitely try it set up like that. Have done that before and it does work about as well as with a smaller aperture. Your eye picks the center of the hole.

What size front fiberoptic bead would you go with?

DF

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Frontal fulllstock rifle pornography.

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
DF, I have a Marbles 3/32" FO on my 99 carbine that's very noticeable in the woods when paired with the Redfield peep. It looks a little funky on the Savage but, at least I can see it.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by erich
On ... shotguns (for coyote hunting) I have to mount them too high to get a decent cheek weld and have my head bobbing around trying to use them.

I have a Romeo 5 mounted high on a short-barreled Mossberg 500 for HD. I haven't hunted with it but I do practice with buck and slugs out to 35 yards and I find that having my cheek NOT welded tight to the comb of the stock keeps it from slapping the bejeezus out of my teeth with 3" shells.

My head may bob around a tad, but as long as I've got the red dot where it needs to be, it's good.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
‘06 won’t kick like a 3” slug.

I’m gonna try the WGRS-FN with orange fiber optic front. May go with the 3/32” suggestion. That combo gives good cheek weld. I do have the Romeo; it’s a back up.

Gonna see how it goes. Will report.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If your eyes can handle it, you’re golden with that. I have trouble with beads, so prefer some kind of flat-topped blade. No one makes that with FO AFIK, but I live in hope….

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I’d planned on a low power variable, but put that on on a whim. It might as well be welded on now. My new favorite rig. Cheek weld with the stock is perfect, close your eyes and shoulder it and the dot is right there. Pushing 200 gr partitions it’ll do anything I need it to.

It wasn't a whim it was your friend that actually knows what the fugk he's doing telling you to try one on that rifle.

You of course resisted but eventually came around like you always do.

You should have bought a 510 like I told you.

You're welcome.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

It wasn't a whim it was your friend that actually knows what the fugk he's doing telling you to try one on that rifle.

You're welcome.

I’m gonna wait for Gruff’s ‘analogy’ on why he doesn’t listen to what you ever say.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I’m gonna wait for Gruff’s ‘analogy’ on why he doesn’t listen to what you ever say.

🦫

"On a whim."

LOL

What an ass hole.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

You're welcome.

Let me refresh your memory and set things straight. I told you I was thinking of putting a micro dot like a delta point or fastfire on my manlicker. You thought it a good idea and suggested the 510. I went to the store and finger banged one but thought it too big for what I had in mind. Saw this smaller model and put it on to try out.

End of story,

Hold into the tropical storm. Sheesh!

MAGA
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Bullschit.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Dirt,

I'd take a hard look at the Horosun 510:

https://holosun.com/index/product/detail/id/124.html

I’ve strongly considered the 510 until I found out about the 512 and now found the 530 G. Both are closed emitters so debris won’t block the reticle. Also available with titanium hood to protect the lens. Advantage of the 530G is ~4-5 oz vs 8+ for the 512.

Haven’t tried them yet it plan but to call Holosun to determine level of recoil they’ve tested these 2 models.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a slight stigmatism, so the burst is annoying. This doesn’t burst for me.

https://vortexoptics.com/spr-1301.html

The 3x has short eye relief, the 1x is more flexible.

“Lighten up Francis”
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I purchased a Burris FastFire III to sort out an issue I was having with a duck gun. Figured out that the issue was the after market choke tube. Swapped the FF unit over my AR home defense rifle. Consistently hit whatever I am aiming at out to 100 yards,

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I bought a new Browning Bar in 308 and mounted a Sig Romeo 5 to use for deer in front of dogs in Florida. I cut down a 1 piece Warne scope mount to mount it. I like how I can wrap by hand around the receiver to carry it. When I mount the gun, the dot is just there. If I'm shooting at the right target, I can get 1.5" groups out of it. I've shot it some getting used to it and I think I'll like it. We'll see in a couple months I guess.

It might be lonely at the top, but it's a bitch at the bottom.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Not to bump an old thread, but in answer to the OP's question I am more than happy with the way my holosun has performed all year. Worked like a charm today, this is my new favoritist setup for hunting around here. My only beef so far with the sight is it's a minor pain in the ass to get both buttons pushed to turn it off. To far apart to hit with one finger, but too close for 2 fingers to do it by feel.

MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Not to bump an old thread, but in answer to the OP's question I am more than happy with the way my holosun has performed all year. Worked like a charm today, this is my new favoritist setup for hunting around here. My only beef so far with the sight is it's a minor pain in the ass to get both buttons pushed to turn it off. To far apart to hit with one finger, but too close for 2 fingers to do it by feel.

What model Holosun?

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
407c x2

MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well, had this one on an AR. Took it off the high mount, attached the low mount. Reversed the front base, filed a new recoil screw slot and mounted it.

Seems lower than the scope, but I'd like something even lower, more streamline. It does handle kinda like I thought it would. Interesting innovation.

It comes up faster and easier than the AR, holds steadier once shouldered. But, a "bird gun" is gonna handle a heap better than an AR.

DF

Could you use the rear bridge instead of the front ring for mounting ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm following you DF as I was planning to do the same with a HVA also but putting it on a Kimber 84M 338 Fed to try.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

DF

I mounted a small reflex sight on the receiver ring of a Remington 700 Ti short action. Worked "fine" with some caveats. Decided the rifle itself could get closer to my goal, so I got a Kimber Adirondack (shorter, even lighter) and moved the red dot sight to the receiver ring on that. (First was a .260 Rem, second is 6.5 CM; ballistic twins for my purposes, and 10-15 other cartridges would work just as well for me.)

Pros: light, fast, accurate (for me, probably out to about 200 yds depending on game size and visibility), makes the rifle easier to carry, very good access to the magazine and loading port, mounting on the receiver rings instead of the bridge seemed to me to make operating the bolt easier.

Cons: not so great where we usually hunt these days, which happens to be brushy forest; the sight works well for actual game, but it's not so useful for inspecting (or looking through) brush and tree limbs and so forth in between target and muzzle. (Probably would be much better for open country, and in fact was decent in AZ for javelina hunts. Would maybe also be better for running game, perhaps driven, where there's maybe not as much "obstruction evaluation" at play.)

So I recently reverted to a low power 1" variable for the Adirondack. Adds weight, clutters up the magazine/loading port, doesn't enhance bolt manipulation... (Brand/model is irrelevant for the question, but it happens to be a Leupold VX-3i 1.5-5x20, relatively lightweight as scopes go.)

FWIW, I started with a Burris FastFire2, moved to a FastFire3, and now also have a FastFire4. Can't say "best" since I've not experimented much with many other products. The FF2 is sort of a pain to sight in and battery changes are a bit more work. FF3 is better. FF4 seems even better, but I only just got it and haven't worked with it yet. I moved the FF2 back to a target .22 pistol, moved the FF3 to a short AR, and installed the FF4 (so far) on a Redhawk. I've got a C-More Railway on a .22 rifle; that works very well... but I also have an easily-swappable (?) scope set up for that rifle too. The long C-More Railway mounting system wouldn't have offered the same clearance/carrying advantages on the bigger rifles.

-Chris

Last edited by Ranger4444; 11/28/22.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Gonna try the Holosun HS510c on the .358W SBR...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The Minox ZA HD 1.2-6 has been GREAT... but wanna try a quicker something or another.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The loads are very fast... 3,400 FPS IIRC.

*Yes, I have NFA Stamps

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Wouldn't ya know. Made in China, causes cancer in California. At least I can stay out of CA, have no business in China, either.

DF

Well I didn't like the way this one looked, so I got a NECG peep and tall Williams front bead.

The NECG peep is a curious looking device, but seems to work. I like the Talley peep, but that one doesn't have elevation adjustments, depends on altering the front sight.

That wouldn't work here, so I went with this one, which mounts on a Weaver base. I plan to get a fiber optic front, but will see how it goes with the one.

I had put this rifle up for sale, but it didn't happen. One party wanted to see if the HVA crest was on the front ring. I didn't remember, removed the scope and front base to see that it was there. Handling the rifle without the scope was pretty cool, so decided to go with irons which best fits the low comb.

DF

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
[Linked Image]

A couple of really cool rigs....congratulations, gentlemen!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

DF

Well I didn't like the way this one looked, so I got a NECG peep and tall Williams front bead.

The NECG peep is a curious looking device, but seems to work. I like the Talley peep, but that one doesn't have elevation adjustments, depends on altering the front sight.

That wouldn't work here, so I went with this one, which mounts on a Weaver base. I plan to get a fiber optic front, but will see how it goes with the one.

I had put this rifle up for sale, but it didn't happen. One party wanted to see if the HVA crest was on the front ring. I didn't remember, removed the scope and front base to see that it was there. Handling the rifle without the scope was pretty cool, so decided to go with irons which best fits the low comb.

DF

I would have put a Williams on it, it's drilled for one.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn

DF

DF

Looked and looked.

Couldn’t find one.

Agree.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Speaking of the Williams, if someone has one or knows where one is, I'll sell this one and go with that. I like the looks of the Williams more than the NECG. It works, but isn't the prettiest.

BYW, here's the front ring HVA crest. Looks better with filler screws.

DF

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn

DF

DF

Looked and looked.

Couldn’t find one.

Agree.

DF

I have one if you decide to switch.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
PM sent

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
If I get the Williams, I’ll give the NECG to my son to sell on EBay.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

DF

The lowest possible weaver mount and one of the Aimpoint Micros. The H or Ts sit really low. Here's my T2 on my Browning maxus II slug gun:

I plan on getting another to mount on my Sako Black Bear .30-06.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 12/05/22.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I can't say it is the best.

However I can say it has been a quest to get a RMR on this Merkel 141 double for a least a couple years, and I like it.

This particular Merkel is chambered for the 8 x 57 JRS cartridge and has a single trigger. The right barrel fires first, always, and the recoil cocks the trigger to fire the left barrel.

Shots 1-7 were to get within minute-of hoglet at 50 yds. Shot #8 was the left barrel.

It works.

First blood for the Trijicon RMR @ +/- 65 paces.....

Small javelina sow that was a target of opportunity!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by geedubya
I can't say it is the best.

However I can say it has been a quest to get a RMR on this Merkel 141 double for a least a couple years, and I like it.

This particular Merkel is chambered for the 8 x 57 JRS cartridge and has a single trigger. The right barrel fires first, always, and the recoil cocks the trigger to fire the left barrel.

Shots 1-7 were to get within minute-of hoglet at 50 yds. Shot #8 was the left barrel.

It works.

First blood for the Trijicon RMR @ +/- 65 paces.....

Small javelina sow that was a target of opportunity!

ya!

GWB

Like! x 10. Great gun and super sight. The RMR is a great long gun sight. I have a dual illuminated model on my buckshot/turkeyshot Winchester SX4. It used to be on a Glock 17 but found a new, and better, home on one of my hunting guns. It's always the right brightness outdoors.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 12/06/22.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 1_deuce, 22kHornet, 224th, 52 invisible), 2,048 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,542
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.