Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I got a couple but will post them when I get home, instead of on this phone.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I haven’t seen a game warden in the field in years. Maybe a decade.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Timbermaster

In 45 years, I've seen them twice in MI and once in WI. All 3 instances were without major issue.

Checked us for dead critters/rifle while shining deer
Speeding
Check for steel shot

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

LOL...

Yeah, I don't see mine often, unless I call him, that is. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A rather legendary one here in NH that worked the Alton Bay of Lake Winni area took it upon himself to train his Lab to sniff out LL Salmon. They are not allowed to be kept if caught through the ice - closed season. Actually, they aren’t supposed to be even brought up out of the hole. Pretty common poach as they are relatively easy to hook up with through the ice and there isn’t much technique to it. Drop a live smelt through a hole 2 feet under the ice pretty much anywhere on the lake at any depth and you have as good a chance at hooking up with one as anything else in the lake. And they get pretty big. It can be a tough line-cut for many when you’ve been putting in hours in tough weather getting skunked, then you see that big silver side under the hole.

Guy I knew got pinched. The Connie Cop shows up at his shanty for a routine license check, has his dog, enters shanty, dog starts doing his thing and sniffing all around the hole and saying ‘salmon’. Dog can smell and differentiate the smell of salmon ‘residue’/slime/scale/etc’ on the ice and around the hole. Asks the guy if he caught a salmon. Guy lies and says he didn’t. It’s in the trunk of his car on the side of the road maybe 150 yards away. Dog gets on the scent, presumably from the fish dripping while it was carried to the car across snow-topped ice, proceeds to the vehicle, and starts tapping at the trunk. Cop ID’s the car as this guy’s car. Makes him pop the trunk, voila - there’s the salmon. Dude got whacked with some stiff fines and extended license loss, but it probably would have been worse for him had he not been a full-time member of the fire department.

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
We were elk and mule deer hunting outside Leadville Colorado in 1995. I already had my bull and buck down hanging in camp. We were returning to our camp in my partners (Don) Tacoma. I was driving. Just as we are nearing camp a very nice (for the area) buck is spotted maybe 70 yards away. I stop, my partner gets out, loads his rifle and fires, nothing. He cycles the bolt and fires again. Nothing. At this point I am reaching behind the seat for my cased rifle while he aims again. Out of the brush comes a game warden, Tom who we got to know pretty well over the years, shouting, "Don't shoot, don't shoot". A mechanical decoy tail wagging and all. He walked up to Don thanking him for exiting the vehicle, loading an unchambered rifle and wearing the necessary blaze orange. "As long as you have a license and tag you're good to go". All was good and he was thankful Don was not a head shooter where the electronics apparently reside.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Dave Preist was a warden up in Maine when I was growing up.
Upheld the law and didnt turn a blind eye to schit.
Mike Georgia was a guy I graduated high school with in 81.
He was squared away also when I was up their from 98 to 01.
Had alot of good talks with him.
2 fed wardens on FTCKY are squared away.

Cant say any of that stuff above about TN wardens....

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
20 years or so, my dad and I were hunting in Katy/Sealy area for snow geese. I was still in high school. We didn’t have enough for a full group, so we were joined with a few guys from DFW. It was foggy, and there were several ibis in the area. The guide made note of this to us and made sure to beat into our head to wait for him to call the shot, so to keep us from shooting an ibis mistaken for snow goose. The two guys that joined us were mega hungover and popped the first two ibis they saw that morning. They asked the guide what they should do. He replied “I don’t give a damn what you do, but get them out of here and you’re done for the day”. We finished a few hours later and returned to the truck where we discovered the offenders had buried the dead ibis in a shallow grave a few hundred yards away. Shortly there after, we were checked by the local game warden, who was a woman with a chip on her shoulder. She was trying to hammer us on “possession of specs, because we had them in a pile”. We successfully talked our way out of that, and just as she was leaving we realized the dog was missing. We went on a search, and when he finally returned to the group, he had a dirty dead ibis in his mouth. He was so proud. I don’t know how much the ticket cost those guys, but I’m sure it was significant.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

LOL...

Yeah, I don't see mine often, unless I call him, that is. smile

Pretty much the same here...

Unless he needs some killed (I have better rifles than they do... LOL).

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by renegade50

Like the dude driving across the dove field? whistle

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by renegade50

Like the dude driving across the dove field? whistle
1 tiny example....

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
My and my buddy were involved in a very slow high speed chase with a game warden.

We were 12...so no license to drive. We did have hunting licenses though.

I figured since we weren't allowed to drive...we may as well not stop at the check point.

I was wrong.

Another time a couple of wardens joined in the chase and they held guns on us for 10 mins or so.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like the fact the majority seem to do business properly, they are after all necessary due to the number of miscreants around. But I've had a couple of experiences I'm not happy about.

Deer hunting in WA with friends. Get stopped while coming out of an area at our vehicles. Usual routine, we pull out licenses/tags etc. Friend's wife has a tiny smudge of red on part of a tag. Uh OH!. Mr Warden immediately starts with the "That's blood, where's the deer" " You shot one and decided not to tag it" Blah Blah Blah. For all we knew it might have been from her fingers after putting on her lipstick/lip balm. I know for a fact she never fired a round as I was hunting right with them since the opener a day or two previous.

Another WA story. Move up there for a new job, not familiar with the area. Get motel room in town 29 miles or so from where I'd be working on the Sunday before I started. Drive down to project, right at the Snake River, so I could find my way at 0530 the next morning across the wheat fields. Check some stuff out. Saw a grayish/silver truck go by as I was heading out. I had AZ or Cali plates on the truck at the time. Get back to motel, hear a vehicle pull up while I unload stuff for the night. Open door to get more stuff, there's a Warden standing there. Another pulls in.

"How was the fishing" he says.

"Huh" says I?

" We saw your truck down by the river"

"Oh" says I, and tell him about the trip to check out the roads. I didn't tell him "No, you saw me leaving the river with out of state plates and thought you'd catch a good ticket/fine"

Had one years ago in Cali when I worked for the timber company. Would come to check the cooler to see how folks were doing. Busted a dumb scheidt guy on a gypo logging crew. Dude saw one in a ditch heading in one morning. Had the dude driving stop the crummy, he hops out blazing away with his .380 which was likely OK as it's a centerfire pistol. Long story short, because of the logging operation, that section of the timberlands was closed to hunting that day, and he wrote the day, time, and location on his tag. Easy bust for the warden.

Have had really good experiences with the Game Managers in AZ. One, unfortunately deceased at a young age, helped me drag my old pickup out of the gravel that was burying it up past the wheel wells when a flash flood hit the facility I worked at. Others have provided decent info on where to look for game.

Mixed bag, but I think those WA ones have orders to try to bust anyone and everyone for anything and everything they can.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
My and my buddy were involved in a very slow high speed chase with a game warden.

We were 12...so no license to drive. We did have hunting licenses though.

I figured since we weren't allowed to drive...we may as well not stop at the check point.

I was wrong.

Another time a couple of wardens joined in the chase and they held guns on us for 10 mins or so.
That being held at gunpoint by the Law is always fun, eh?

In it is contentment

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
The only time I ever seen a Game Warden I was around 14 or 15 and we were staying at my Uncles Cabin in the High Country Soap Stone area in Utah.
we had my Dads Sisters family with us and we wanted fish for dinner so all of the guys went and the girls stayed behind.

We went to several lakes with no success then we came up on this one lake that had Albino Rainbow Trout and the were between 4 to 6 ft off the bank

We all started fishing and nothing was biting
I got bored and told my dad that I was gunna go on the other side of the lake and try my luck.
He told me to take my Cousin who was 5 years younger than I was.

The fish were still not biting on the other side of the lake.
So I got a GREAT Idea and picked up a large branch and started clubbing the fish. They were right off the bank. and at between 16 to 20 inches they were all legal size

About an hour of Clubbing fish we were limited out for everyone with a license so we started heading back to our Parents

As we were walking back Here came the Game Warden Driving slow up a dirt road.
I dropped the Fish and my Club hoping that he did not see what we were doing.

Well we got back to our Dad's and my Dad smiling big held up his barely legal Fish that he caught (single fish)

I yelled out that that was GREAT look what we Caught and held up our stash of fish.

My Uncle started laughing and my Dad said that we did not hook them how did we get them.

I told him that we gotum what difference did it make how.

He poked me a bit and I would not tell him all the way back to the Cabin

My Mom started cleaning them up for dinner that night and came in and asked all of us why all of their backs were broken.

Well after a big Butt Chewing i had to fess up on how we got all of them.
Again my Uncle just Laughed and my Mom and Aunt did to.
My Dad had to take a week or so to cool off but he got over it.

Those Rainbow Trout sure tasted good from that Cold High Country water

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have always had good interactions with the warden. One is a friend, have him on ‘speed dial’. And I’l dial your ass in.

Renegade doesn’t like my warden friend.

Dale thinks Ren is unhinged and needs special help after a series of emails. 😂😂😂😂🤯🤯🤯

He’s moved way up now and is in the judicial opinions level now.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The best game warden story is no game warden story.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
I have always had good interactions with the warden. One is a friend, have him on ‘speed dial’. And I’l dial your ass in.

Dale thinks Ren is unhinged and needs special help after a series of emails. 😂😂😂😂🤯🤯🤯

Thinks?

Or Knows?

in regards to that "unhinged" bit?

In it is contentment

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
One just moved in a couple 100 yards from me seems ok so far!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our old game warden lived to write somebody a citation. I believe he would have ticketed his mother for running over a squirrel out of season. I got along fine with him. The local Mennonites and Amish lived in fear of him.

The new warden, whoever he is, has yet to be seen in my area, and won't return phone calls. The local Mennonites love him, whoever he is.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
We rented to game cop, never again.

Last edited by wabigoon; 09/23/22.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
C
C
My cousin killed a big hog one evening and we decided to take it home to weigh it since we thought it would go over 200lbs. Roughly 4 1/2 ft long nose to base of the tail, weighed 148 on my cheap scales. Have it hanging behind my house taking pictures when a truck pulls in with 3 game wardens in it.

They say "We saw ya'll had something hanging and thought it might be a big buck".
Nope just a big hog. They asked who killed it and we chatted for a few minutes. I asked them if they wanted it, said no. I told him you must know someone needy who will take it? He says yeah but they all want it already cleaned and cut up.
Well, you can teach them. They decided they had business somewhere else and left. Saw that truck pass by my house a couple of times over the next week or 2.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
One game Warden experience I will always remember, Moose Styer, and me were going Elk hunting on Yellow creek, East of Meeker, Colo. we stopped in town at the Meeker Cafe, for breakfast they opened at 5:00 AM my mother owned the Meeker Cafe, while we were eating Mom came over to our Booth and very quietly said I have a Cow Tag if you see a nice dry Cow Shoot her for me. OK
We were driving my 1952 Willy's Jeep, up Yellow creek road we went about 1/2 hr after day light we spotted a group of Elk just off the road that looked like they were going to cross in front of us about 200 yrds, no big bulls but a couple of rag horned young bulls and about 8-10 Cows, Moose, was hunting meat not bone, he gets out and shoots a Bull DRT, every thing crosses in front of us, we drive up to about 5 yrds from the Bull and tie a rope to him and drag him to the edge of the road and gut him out, we put our rope pulley on the roll bar and pulled him up and got him loaded in the Jeep, We are headed back to town, we didn't go very far and and Moose hits me and say's there a nice Cow! she's about 40 yrds away looking at us, I got out real slow and knelt down and shot her right between the eyes, with my 30-06, we pulled her off the road and gutted her out and hung her in a tree with my pulley, and went to town, and put Moose's, Bull in the walk in cooler at the Meeker Cafe, by then it was lunch time and the Meeker Cafe was packed with people, I told Mom I had her Cow she said come get me about 2:30 when things slow down and I will go with you to get her and Tag her.
We picked up Mom, She was wearing a dress and her grey wool coat with a grey fox collar and loafers, we didn't have camo back then, we go up Yellow Creek and load Moms Cow and head back to town, When we get to the junction of the county road and HWY 13 there sits 2 Game Wardens,we knew both of them, they ate at Moms almost every day during hunting season, we had to stop as they were checking hunters, they looked over the Cow and checked Moms license, The Warden say's to Mom, how far away was this Cow when you shot her? Mom say's about 150 yrds!! the Warden say's that was a hell of a good shot right between the eye's, Mom Say's I always shoot them between the eye's saves meat, they knew she was lying, but let us go on, don't think i ever held my breath that long again.Rio7

C
C
Most of my interactions with them have been good. Wyoming wardens have been the most pleasant to interact with. Seemed like they wanted to help you fill a tag, would even tell you who to go see about permission to hunt antelope.

One prick of a federal warden in Louisiana tried his best to find a reason to write us a ticket for baiting doves. Was hunting a crawfish farm and he and the 2 state wardens had walked all over that 240 acres trying to find bait, didn't.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
In 1965 there was a special teal season in Ks. I was 14 and shot two ducks that I “thought were teal” Actually killed both with one shot.
Later in the morning I was driving on a country road and saw a parked truck ahead of me. A man flagged me down and asked if I had any luck. I showed him my ducks and he told me they were not teal. He took the ducks but did not issue a ticket. I never told my parents.
A week later my parents get a call that I had a court date. They were not happy.
Dad and I showed up at the judges office, who my dad knew real well, small town America. My two ducks were frozen and laying on the table between the warden, I and the judge. I was fined court costs ($25) and that was the end.

NRA Patron
C
C
In Wyoming Antelope hunting 15 years ago, local rancher is in the truck with us to show us some more property that we can hunt. Happen to look in the rearview mirror, warden behind me with his lights on. I stop, rancher gets out and says I'll take care of this. I got out to see what was up. Warden says I'm looking for a truck like yours, when I saw the Louisiana plates I knew it wasn't who I was looking far but, I already had my lights on. Asked if we had our tags and conservation stamps, told him yes, you want to see them, no. Told us to kill a bunch and we all left.

The next week I had just left my truck to head across a pasture to shoot a doe antelope, looked back same game warden pulls up behind my truck. I go back and he tells me you didn't need to come back I just wanted to see if you where going to get one. I go back and shoot one doe and missed another one. I go walk over to the doe and here comes my buddy in my truck with the game warden in the passenger seat. I told the game warden don't move the doe since I haven't punched my tag yet and go off to look for sign on the other one. Come back a few minutes later and the game warden had helped my buddy gut the doe and had it loaded in the truck. I punched my tag and we dropped him off at his truck.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Wut???

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JamesJr
The local Mennonites and Amish lived in fear of him.

If they are anything like the Amish up here its understandable. They are all about "if it's brown it's down". lol

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
About 6 of them swarmed our Dove field. Came in from 2 or 3 different directions. Some had been hiding in the bushes for hours.

The main force was checking my bud, the land owner when buds cellphone rang. The warden said that's one of your buddies telling you the game wardens are here.

My bud calmly said; I got that call 20 or 30 minutes ago. This was my wife wanting to know what temp to set the grill.

Or... an extended cab pickup from the state pulled up. The doors opened & the wardens just kept pouring out. A bystander, with a stutter, & a good buzz asked: we..well ho...how mmmmany yayayyyou sssunuufabbbitches ggonna gggeettt out uuuf tthat trtrtruck?

You just had to be there on that one. (damnit, I'll laugh at that memory the rest of the night)

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I haven't seen a Frog Marshall where we hunt for years.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some friends of mine that have a big duck lease up in the McKenzie bottom were all set up opening morning two years ago, Eddie, the oldest guy in the group who happened to be the OSHA Safety guy for our construction company had a need to hit the bucket in the boat just at daylight. He was positioned outside the blind doing his job when he looks up and there is a kayak with a black guy in it paddling through the deeks behind the blind. Eddie hollers out, "Hot damn boys lookie here, there's a n***** in the decoys!" Was a Federal GW who had paddled all the way from the river across the back water to sneak up on them, had to check all the guns for plugs, license and such and magnet the shells...I am sure it was a good thing that there were no violations after that announcement...

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When my wife and I were dating, we decided to go fishing one morning, and I didn't have a license. She said that was alright, come on and lets go fishing. She was in 1 pirogue and I was in another, fishing down the bayou. We rounded a curve and I saw a john boat up ahead with one fellow fishing, but he had his back to us. As we fished on down and got closer to the fellow, I realized it was a game warden. Oh heck, I'm in for it now. I paddled over to my future wife and quietly reminded her that I didn't have a license, and she said out loud, "Yeah, I forgot you dont have a license". Well, when the game warden heard that, he turned around and motioned for us to come over to his boat. Wasn't any need to try and run, he had a motor and I didn't. So we paddled over and when we got right next to him, my 'date' said, " Dad, I want to introduce you to Randy".

Yeah, I married the game warden's daughter.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Doe I wacked this morning is going to be a little expensive .
Around 8:30 or so a plump doe came into the clearing
along with a couple other does and a spike .
Early season only allows for does .
Only about 25yds so I took the head with a Ruger Ranch 300 aac loaded with 125gr sst .
Heading home , cruise control set , deer in rear carrier on SUV , mind on the work that laid ahead and getting up to a painting job wife picked up to help her .
Been through this school zone god knows how many times .
Tuned out and suddenly the blues flashing , realizing where I was brought reality to mind when I flipped on my signal .
55 in a 45 , walks up and asks if I been hunting , Rifke on the seat , air was nippy this morning, so had on long sleeved camo jacket .
Yes sir
Get anything ?
I’m thinking , WTH ? You just walked right buy it , but politely answered , yes sir .
What did you get ?
Answer , Doe
Hey it’s freezer meat he says
Answer , yes it is .
Goes back to car for good while and brings me the ticket .Dam it .
As I was going home , rehashing the event .
Smiled and thought , ok , get this sucker checked in , he may have drove off reporting to game warden and didn’t need it to get more expensive from neglect.
Kenneth

Last edited by Kenneth66; 09/23/22.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldman03
When my wife and I were dating, we decided to go fishing one morning, and I didn't have a license. She said that was alright, come on and lets go fishing. She was in 1 pirogue and I was in another, fishing down the bayou. We rounded a curve and I saw a john boat up ahead with one fellow fishing, but he had his back to us. As we fished on down and got closer to the fellow, I realized it was a game warden. Oh heck, I'm in for it now. I paddled over to my future wife and quietly reminded her that I didn't have a license, and she said out loud, "Yeah, I forgot you dont have a license". Well, when the game warden heard that, he turned around and motioned for us to come over to his boat. Wasn't any need to try and run, he had a motor and I didn't. So we paddled over and when we got right next to him, my 'date' said, " Dad, I want to introduce you to Randy".

Yeah, I married the game warden's daughter.

laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Female Frog Marshall...only one in California I think at the time...2 friends and I finished a duck hunt near the Salton Sea in Southern California. I emptied the 2 barrels on my black powder SXS Navy arms 12 gauge, by firing it. Continued gathering up our belongings and were just about done picking up decoys, yep in vinyl stocking foot waders and tennis shoes. When she comes tearing up in her dark green official FISH POLICE CA F&G truck and scrambles out. All breathless she wants to know "Who fired those last 2 shots?" Buddies look at me, like swiveling to keep up with a tennis ball...and I reply "That was me, what of it?" She flips the cover on her ticket book and says "Well at least you were honest about it." "Why would I lie" I ask. She asks for my California Drivers License, and I ask what for...she says she's writing me a ticket for shooting after legal shooting time. I reply no you aren't writing me a ticket for unloading my gun, you would write me a ticket for a loaded weapon in a vehicle if I didn't unload it. She replies you don't have to shoot a gun to unload...and I answer her back, "Ah, yes actually you do...only way to unload a muzzleloader" Next thing she is on the radio to her boss, asking if she should cite me anyway, I can't prove that it was the muzzleloader that was fired...boss tells her, verify licenses and stamps, check birds bagged and leave us alone...saw her several other times and always stirred the pot...she was pretty worthless except manning a check station...heard her asking her boss once..."What is the limit on Western Grebes anyways? I just checked 2 guys through with 10 in possession."

Dedicated Master of the Western Influenced Martial Art known simply as "KLIK PAO" !!!
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Went fishing down in laguna, the mouth of Baffin bay back in 91 with a guy I worked with "Luke Bronson" the other guy his buddy had a floating cabin down there. We fished 9-mile hole that day and caught some nice specs and reds, later that evening we kicked on the generator to run the lights so we could fish under them during the night. Luke around 3 in the morning slid off the side of the cabin and started wading off must of that water was only 3-4 ft deep, he said he'd be back in a while, I figured he was going to take a chit or something so I and his other buddy go inside and crash out. I woke up at daybreak with Luke laughing his ass off, He's telling us to come outside and handed us the binoculars and pointed to the game wardens cabin about 3/4 of a mile to the west. We take a look and the wardens are out there walking back and forth on the pier and all three boats are sunk with only the T-tops and tops of the motors sticking out of the water.
That f-cker had waded over there and pulled the plugs on their boats. He did end up getting locked up later for other crazy chit.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Before I married, 2 friends and myself duck hunted all over N. La., from the Red River to the Miss. River. We had the fever, baaaad. Any way, we were hunting the 'honey hole' south of the Fort Necessity Bridge, on the Beouf River. You put in at the bridge, motored down several miles, then up a creek, and a right at the 'Y'. Best place to hunt after the morning feeding. Some hunters would hunt the shallow water, which was early shooting.

Anyway, back then La. was on the point system. Every bird was given a number of points and the first bird that put you at 100 pts or over, meant you were thru for the day. For example, Mallard hen was 90 pts and a teal was 10 pts. If you killed the mallard hen first and the teal last, you were thru for the day. But if you killed 9 teal and then the mallard hen, that was legal.
'Stacking the limit' is when you shoot ducks for a while then figure out who shot what duck, in what order, to get the most ducks.

We had stacked the limit and were motoring out, when we met a friend coming back down the river, and he flagged us down. This friend hunted the shallow water and had stacked his limit earlier in the morning. When he had got back to the landing, that's where you always got checked, a new young game warden had asked what order he killed his ducks in, and he told him the order for the stacked limit. Then the young game warden pulled out a thermometer and stuck it up each ducks azz and told my friend the order they were shot in..... and wrote him a ticket for over the limit.

We set there in the middle of the Beouf River for a minute and then I remembered the law was you had to keep a feathered head and wing while transporting ducks. We gutted our ducks and threw them in the river to cool them off. Motored up to the landing and was met by the young game warden. The older GW was standing up the at the trucks, 50 yds away. Young GW was polite and asked could he check our boat and we said yes. He checked 1 gun to make sure it wouldn't hold more than 3 shells and then made the comment that we had an lots of ducks. Now each of us had tied 'his' limit with string around the necks in a bundle and knew what order 'his' limit was killed. GW pulled out the thermometer and flopped a duck on its back to insert the thermometer in the azz.... only there wasn't an azz. He looked up and asked my friend why he gutted the duck and my friend said he always did it. GW says you cant do that and my friend was waiting for him. He took out the hunting pamphlet and read 'word for word' what you had to leave on the bird for transporting them. While he was reading to the young GW, I walked up to get the truck and you could see the older GW silently laughing his azz off, behind the truck. After he caught his breath, he told me that we had 'made his day'.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
There’s a special something about the ones in Utah. Fuggers are always trying to get you with something. Was fly fishing once and on the way out we walked through an unoccupied camp. There was some trash about so we picked up what we could until our hands were full. Fish cops pull up and try to give us a ticket for littering because it’s obvious we made that mess and didn’t pick it all up. 🙄

Another time was helping a buddy fill his deer tag. Found him a really nice 4x4 muley so he blasts it right through the heart. Well, it goes about 100 yards on adrenaline and drops. I have him walk me over to where it fell and find it just across and ancient fallen down field fence. Fish cops were around the bend and heard the shot and come flying up the road in their brand-new Hunter license fees provided F350 and start giving us hell. The deer died just inside unmarked private property that they magically know about. I walk them back to where the deer was shot - show him the blood trail on public land and they start in on how I must have shot it, gonna test me for gunpowder residue, etc. I got pissed and told em to go right ahead if they’re that stupid. They write us up for trespassing and then confiscate the deer too. I asked then WTH were we supposed to do? Deer was shot on public land but died on private with no delineation - required by law - and no contact information for the land owner. (Later we found out he KNEW the landowner) Response? You could have left it but then we would have charged you with felony wasting of game. We both fought it in court and won, cost us $5k in attorneys fees though. By then the deer was long gone and DWR wouldn’t grant my friend another tag so they still screwed us.

Was out hunting doves with my buddy on HIS property when the F&G shows up. My friend is about 200 yards away so this guy wants to see my landowner signed written permission form for me to be hunting there. My friend comes over and sets him straight and then tells the fish cop if there’s no violations, to get the hell out of here.

Some friends of mine were up elk hunting. They apparently didn’t have certified weed-free hay for the horses so here’s your ticket. Yeah, they probably deserved that one. On the way out though the fish cops somehow managed to get their truck stuck so they’re flagging my friends down to come pull them out. They handed them a shovel and told them ‘good luck’.

Then you have the checkerboard public private sections of land in Wyoming that they’ll nail for trespassing, even if you diligently step across the section corners without touching private land in an attempt to keep you off of them.

I don’t have any use for poachers and such. I honestly want to support F&G but many of them around here are just overzealous aholes! It’s all about revenue generation. An attorney friend of mine told me Utah DNR spends more on average prosecuting poachers than the DA does on the average murder case.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
My friends uncle and us were out hunting early muzzleloader. We didn't see anything and on the way home with about 10 minutes of shooting light left we see a monster buck at the edge of a field we quickly jumped out the side opposite the deer and began to prime the muzzleloader. My friends uncle said you might want to make sure it's a real deer before we shoot. Looking at it through binoculars we couldn't tell looked real to us. So then it put its head down to feed we started inching towards it. We got within 20 yards still couldn't tell. We walked right up to it sure as hell was a fake deer. My friend was just in the process of jumping on its back when I looked back at the truck and there was a dozen officers motioning for us to come back. They were angry as hell with us because we scared off a guy that was about to shoot it. Coat me 300 in court fees because there was a old faded no trespassing sign we didn't see.

Another time my older brother who has the mentality of a 12 yr old was out fishing at the lake we were camping at. Encon walks up to him and says any luck? My brother says yeah I caught a huge bass opens up his tackle box to show him and he says not big enough. Releases the fish and gives him a ticket. Anyone could clearly see my brother wasn't all there but this guy is famous for being a local a$$hole

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Standing on the river bank fishing one evening when a young chick game warden came paddling up. She noses her canoe into the bank and stood up.
Her boat scooted out from under her and she hit the drink.
I jumped to help her up and she barked. 'Don't touch me. I'll be fine'

I backed away and she stood up in knee deep water, took one step toward shore when her self inflating life vest went off scaring the crap out of her and she fell over backwards into the water.

This time I got her by the arm and helped her up.

I asked if she was OK, she said 'not really, I was going to check your fishing license but I'm just going to leave'.

I made it all the way through that without laughing, it wasn't easy.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Dale is a duck poacher in arkansas.
Dale stood behind all the fuuucked up schit that went down on that dove field with dip mouth Caleb.

Dale moved up the food chain cause Dale is a azz kisser.

Told you about their new online complaint system.
Wonder how that all came about after all my emails and calls to the top.

I had the high ground on all of that.

Tn wardens are worthless.

Point was reinforced with my interaction with that one at Camden this year.

They got the backbone of a jelly fish.

And you knew I would post this throwing out that stinkbait in your post.

👍👍🤣🤣😁👍👍

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

"Always had good interactions with the warden".
I know you meant this as sarcasm.
👍🤣🤣🤣

How many times you call one and they try to blame you or have 10,000 excuses to not do anything.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Our old game warden lived to write somebody a citation. I believe he would have ticketed his mother for running over a squirrel out of season. I got along fine with him. The local Mennonites and Amish lived in fear of him.

The new warden, whoever he is, has yet to be seen in my area, and won't return phone calls. The local Mennonites love him, whoever he is.
Did the new one come from TN???
😄😄😄

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Wut???
Wabi????
Game cop???
Never again???

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hardly ever see them. I can only remember a few times in several dozen years.

Hopefully never see another.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I carry a country ham to the warden. He comes to our church.

We yuck it up about fools while we score deer.

Renegade is just jealous

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Renegade is just jealous

Then give renny a ham too.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Renny don’t eat pork

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Renegade is just jealous

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Where is that sarcasm emoji???

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Dale is a Liberal Socialist Democrat I bet....

🤣🤣🤣

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gotta work it son

Jump in my back pocket, I’ll show you how to network

😂😂😂😂

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In 1982 I was bow hunting in Idaho. This was just after Claude Dallas killed those 2 game wardens.
The state had bought all the wardens new auto pistols. I don't remember what they were. A game warden came to camp to check ou our licenses. I asked him if I could see his weapon. He popped the mag, emptied the chamber and handed it to me. I was shocked.

Another time I had shot a small buck and had dutifully signed my tag but had negelected to cut the dates out. Game warden was nice about it and allowed my to correct it.

I have not had the horror stories that others have had.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My county has two wardens and I make it a point to know them as I call them occasionally when I suspect night hunters are on the farm. One young warden dropped by my shop as I was about to go clean out a couple of box stands. I invited him to come along so we jumped in my side by side and drove to the first stand. As we were walking back to the utv we came upon a very large cottonmouth. I told him to shoot the snake. He said all snakes are protected. Then I asked him to let me use his service pistol so I could shoot it as I kill every venomous snake I come across. He said he couldn’t let me use his pistol. I told him to watch the snake until I walked back to the utv and got my levee shovel. He decided to shoot the snake and 9 shots later he finally hit it. Distance couldn’t have been more than 6 feet. I happen to like the wardens I know. Never had a bad experience with my local fish cops.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back when I was in high school, if a deer was hit by a car or was killed somehow and not tore up too bad, the GW's would skin it and take it to the old folks home or to some needy family. Trying not to waste the carcass, good for them.

We had hounds and ran deer with them. One day we quit early and I had 4 grown hounds by the collars, 2 in each hand, leading them to the dog pen. There is a slight swell and just as I top the swell, there is a doe, or so I thought, stand about 40 yds. from me. Well those dogs knew what to do and they broke out of my hands and the race was on. I ran back to the house, told Dad what had happened, and we jumped in the truck to try and catch them.

There are some houses owned by blacks on the back side of our place and the deer ran between some houses, jumped one side of a 12' chicken wire fence that was around a small garden. When it tried to jump the other side, it didn't make it. When we got to the site, there were blacks standing all out in the road and one of them told us our dogs had headed back home, but there was a dead deer laying in that small garden, and they had called the GW.

We checked it out and the deer, a button buck, had a broken neck.... no other wounds anywhere. Knowing the GW's would not be there anytime soon and the deer had been running, I gutted the deer and propped it open with a stick.

Early next morning there is a knock on the door and there was 2 GW's and our neighbor that had the local slaughter house. GW's asked me if I had seen any dead deer the day before and I told them 'Yes', I had seen 3. I told them about seeing 2 that were killed while hunting and the one in the garden. They wanted to know what I shot it with, and I told them I didn't shoot it, I found it dead, with a broken neck. They kept trying to get me to say I shot it, but I wouldn't. Finally our neighbor had heard enough and told the 2 GW's that they knew damn well the deer hadn't been shot. They had stood there and watched him skin the deer from the back feet to the tip of the nose and the only wound was a broken neck. Then the GW asked me why I gutted the deer. I told them that I knew they would azz around and take half the night to get to the deer and if it wasn't gutted, it would spoil. Then they wanted to see the guts. I told them I had fed part of them to the dogs and buried the rest, but I'd show them where they were buried. They said they wanted me to dig them up, so they could inspect them. Dad told them if they wanted them to dig them up, that's ok, but they better have their own shovel, that they couldn't use one of his. They said forget it, and left.

Last edited by Oldman03; 09/23/22. Reason: kant spel

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Was in my late teens at the time. Driving slow down a dirt road in a county timber with my sixty something IH pickup. Head stuck out the window looking up in the trees for squirrels. Was in low gear idling along and game Warden snuck up behind me and tapped his siren. Scared me so badI slammed on the brakes and he rear-ended me. Was a little awkward conversation after that

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
This was outside Lawrence Kansas, I was probably 7 or 8 in the mid 90's. Dad took my duck hunting with him at the local marsh. He would basically build a small blind on the bank and hunt from there on days I went with him. I got cold about 8 or 9 am and he gave me the truck keys to walk down the levee back to the truck to warm up. Well I got there and there was a warden. He asked how I was doing and what I was doing and I explained I was just going to get warm. He let me climb in his truck and warm up. Then he was so kind as to even let me call my mother on his car phone and for her to come pick me up since I was cold. She was pissed I walked the 300 yards back to the truck alone, dad was pissed I called mom. Game warden seemed to enjoy the whole thing and then got to check dad for all his proper stuff. No tickets but a fun morning and ride back home with mom because I didn't want to ride alone with dad.

Another time I was about 21 and duck hunting one of the public draw areas in Missouri. On our way out we were checked by a game warden. He checked all our guns and for steel shells and the normal stuff. Then he asked where we hunted in the pool and if we removed all of our spent shells. I wasn't thinking and said "yeah all the ones we could find." He then was all over us about how many shells we took in and how many empties we came out with. He then took our information and was going to check the spot and if there were shells we had not picked up he would be calling us to give us a ticket. I was on pins and needles for about a week. He lasted for 1 season as a game warden on the draw area then got shipped off to be a county game warden somewhere else.

I have been checked by wardens in a few states and these are the only 2 that really stick out. Sometimes its just a talk and they don't even check you. The first one that did this I was talking with and really wanted to go get to my tree stand to hunt that evening and he just kept talking and kept talking. I said "are you going to check my licenses?" He let me know he wasn't he was a pretty big guy and I said "I am late getting into the tree and need to be going", so he went on about his day. I think that dude was literally going to just shoot the breeze all evening with me.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Back in the 50s the NJ Game and Fish decided it was time to shut down the folks who lived in the Pine Barrens and ate only deer meat.

A group of hotshot wardens were sent in to end the poaching and arrest the "Pineys"

They vanished.

A tip came in to go to a certain warehouse.

There they were, all alive, tied up with sacks on their heads.

Game and Fish gave up on that idea.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My last experience with osp game cops was funny. I was heading for the road where my brother was to pick me up. Came up the ridge top, looked down the hill, three cops hiding along the road, playing with an spike elk decoy. I got about ten feet from them unseen, and said what you boys doing. Two jumped up and one ask where I came from. I just said behind you, they checked my license, and I left chuckling. The one running the decoy just shook his head and kept working the decoy!

T
TCK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Got a few encounters with wardens but two standout for extremes.
We were hunting north west of Gunnison Co in the 80's.
Just bought our tag and saw a uniformed person posting a notice about the closed season courtesy of the county judge.
No tag refund, thought the hell with it and headed out. Visited with several hunting camps and every hunter we met was pissed.
Game warden stopped by our camp and told us to hunt. "the county sheriff wasn't going to enforce the judge's order".
Pheasant hunting north of Scott City KS in the 70's with my brother in law who didn't hunt. Shot a couple of birds and Dan had no gun but was carrying one bird when Mr GW checked us. My license was in order but he wrote Dan a ticket for possession without a license.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I’ve never had a hunting license “private land” had one follow me walking almost 1/2 a mile to check my unneeded license up a mountain he was disappointed

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My only negative incident with a warden happened on Thanksgiving day in the late '80s. My brother and I were hunting that morning without any luck and headed out to turkey dinner with my in-laws. We took what was supposed to be a short cut, but during that summer the area had been logged off and I couldn't find the correct turn off without the old landmarks. After mistakenly taking a dead end road, I suddenly have the part-time warden blow by my truck and suddenly block the road nearly causing me to hit his truck. I had a 4 wheeler in the truck bed and couldn't see him pulling in behind me. He thought I was road hunting while I was only looking for a turn around. After a few minutes he decides he has no reason for writing a ticked and we head back to the primary road.

Ironically I knew what a scumbag he was already. My wife's boss had one of the first video recorders in town. He and a customer had followed the part time warden and the customer's wife to a motel in a nearby town. The visual evidence came in handy in the divorce trial.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Hunting elk in Area 15 in Colorado. Made a supply run into Kremmling and got stopped by a young warden and a cop chick trainee. The young hotshot starts out demanding, not asking, for our licenses. The two guys with me produced theirs but I, truthfully, told him that mine was back at camp in my pack. He made a real scene explaining about having your license on your person at all time, while hunting. I told him I never hunted elk inside the city limits and never in a general store parking lot, which is where we were. He threatened me with a ticket and confiscation of my gun, which I didn’t have. I told him that it would be a fun case to try in court if he did that. He warned me that he was going to follow up on me…. Never heard anymore.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This didn't happen to me, but I knew the man, that was accused of the shooting, but no proof, so he wasn't arrested. He was a salty old gentleman.

This fellow live next to a certain creek bottom and hunted year round, to put meat on his table. By the way, he shot a 22 mag. Deer, ducks, squirrels, whatever.... he shot a 22 mag.

GW's decided they couldn't put up with this and sent in a GW unknown to us. This GW even bragged that he was after this gentleman. About a month, after the GW showed up in our part of the country, he was in the bottom, behind the mans house, looking for him, when an incident took place. He managed to get back to his truck and called for medical help. He had been shot from the side thru both ass cheeks with a small caliper rifle. According to the doc, it was estimated to be a 22 caliber bullet.

They never sent another GW back in that bottom to look for the man.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I was deer hunting with my son in law and his son. It was opening day and they were outside the camp trailer waiting for me to finish taking a dump. I heard someone (female) talking in a rather harsh manner and my son in law responding. and it got a bit louder was was close to being a shouting match The thing is they were female voices. Well I got my business done and when I went out it was two female game wardens. When I came out they both put their hand on their weapons. When I called one out by name and asked what the problem was she said something was wrong with my son in laws son's license. Turned out I knew both lady wardens from teaching hunter ed classes so we got it all squared away.
Most of the Arizona wardens that have been on the job for a while are pretty cool but the recently hire lady wardens can be real bitches.

I noticed someone mention the Claude Dallas affair. The warden he killed deserved what he got. Case in point that I witnessed while on a bird hunt in Idaho. Warden Pogue stopped our truck, checked licenses and guns for empty chambers. Two of us had doubles and the third fellow a pump. Pogue racks the action chambering a round, the passes it back to the owner. Before the owner could clear the chamber, Pogue gives him a ticket for having a loaded gun un the vehicle. That's the kind of S.O.B. he was. On holidays, he would come to town to visit kin. More than once when the wife and I were out to dinner he's be yelling on how hew was gonna kill Dallas if he caught him out in the boonies.. Too bad warden Connelly was with Pogue that day. He didn't geserve killing. I did know Dallas. We knew each other enough to talk guns and hunting every once in a while. I really don't know what the real beef was between the two but we all know how it ended.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Claude Dallas was a poaching, outlaw piece of s hi tt. Your opinion may vary. Yes I trapped the same areas. Fur stealing, poaching, lowlife, is all he was!

Last edited by Heym06; 09/23/22.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Heym06
Claude Dallas was a poaching, outlaw piece of s hi tt. Your opinion may vary. Yes I trapped the same areas. Fur stealing, poaching, lowlife, is all he was!

I never said he was a nice guy. But then, I did sort of know him personally. Pretty quiets sort really. He did march to a different drum though. He should have been born about 100 or more years ago. I'll just add that in my contacts with him, there was never any conflict. He treated my wife and I with respect and we did likewise.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Originally Posted by Heym06

I never said he was a nice guy. But then, I did sort of know him personally. Pretty quiets sort really. He did march to a different drum though. He should have been born about 100 or more years ago. I'll just add that in my contacts with him, there was never any conflict. He treated my wife and I with respect and we did likewise.
PJ
I'm sure your sincere. Not pushing you, just my opinion and experience!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing but good experience across 60+ years of being afield. Last check afield was in Alaska north and west of Lake Clark when a float plane dropped from the sky asking for paperwork and the whereabouts of my moose. They taxied across to check things out and waved as they took off.

As to Claude, read Give a Boy a Gun: A True Story of Law and Disorder in the American West. A strange bird indeed. Was amazed at the amount of public support in his favor.

Last edited by 1minute; 09/23/22.

1Minute
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Mixed bag, but I think those WA ones have orders to try to bust anyone and everyone for anything and everything they can.

I was living with my parents for a while in 2014 while i was house shopping. Drove a black tacoma at the time, and my dad drove a white tacoma. Bought a house in december, went up to alaska for a while. My mom calls me and said some game wardens came by my parents house looking for me. Weird. Call one of them and he wants to know when ill be home, where my house is etc. Wtf. Well long story short, in september my dad killed a bull with his bow, as he was pulling into his driveway with the rack visible in the bed a local guy on a side by side stopped at the end of the driveway as my dad was pulling in, like he wanted to talk to him and my dad ignored him. So this jerkoff tells the game wardens he saw me with a bull in MY truck, and that i poached it with a rifle during bow season, and told them he sees me going up into the woods a lot and i act real suspicious. So on his word, had to deal with a wdfw warden coming to my house and harrassing me about poaching elk, and when that was obvious bullshit he just started shaking me down for anything he could come up with, accusing me of baiting bears, shooting deer to fill my moms tags, you name it. All total b.s. and its kind of ironic cause i found out who the dbag was that was accusing me of poaching elk and that guys done a good deal of illegal crap. A year or two later i found where hed been snowmobiling into a non motorized area setting bobcat traps and made sure he got a visit from the game wardens. If he wants to snitch on me for stuff i didnt even do, you bet your ass im snitching on him for stuff he did do.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Renny don’t eat pork

Not even bacon?

Hard to trust anyone that won't eat a BLT.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
we had a game warden buddy a few years back. We be out in the duck blinds and call him up and ask him to run his boat by the rafts of ducks to get them flying for us. He'd come over to my buddy's house to drink beer and eat with us. All the duck and fishing guides smoke and these guys would get on the radio and call a safty meeting and would meet up on one of the spoil islands to burn a blunt and bull chit, the warden would show up and BS with them also, but not smoke. He did get fired but for being accused of sexual harassment by some chick he hit on a party.
My buddy runs Pro fishing tournaments and has a place up north now that a lot of big shots come to hunt ducks and bird hunt. The first thing he did up there was to get the game warden's night vision equipment, all donated by sponsors, he just put on a fishing tournament to benefit the wardens, he knows how to keep them on his side.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Wut???

He's saying that he once paid a Game Warden to let wabigoon touch his junk.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I was at an ice fishing tournament with a bunch of buddies on Wolford lake, Co. and the local warden came by to check licenses.

She asked what we were using and if we were catching anything and Tod spoke up, "We're using Boob Jigs"

She thought he was being a smartazz but he reeled up his "Boob Jig" and showed it to her. She giggled and asked for one to pin in her hat.

She brought another warden by for her own "hat pin".

We saw her for several years and she always knew our group as the Boob Jig guys... They still sell them online.

I had an officer check my fishing license and he had a perfect black shiner on his eye. "Did you get that on the job?"
"Yep, and he got arrested at gunpoint." Just buy a license next time...

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had heard the same thing about Pogue.

Fun fact, my dad knew Tim Nettleton, the sheriff of Owyhee County. Tim asked him to fly Tim and Dallas' guns to the FBI in San Francisco.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We rented to 9 game cop, never again.
Wut???

Pretend the 9 is an "a".

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Fishing from the bank of a remote pond, I was explaining to my wife how I had been hunting and fishing since the late 1960's and never encountered a game warden. Within minutes, two of them came down the hill and checked our licenses!

Next weekend, the same two guys drove up in their truck, waved and said "We know you two are ok".

I'd like to see more of them. Our WMA's are over-run with dirt bikes and atv's.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I was on a "ride along" with a DNR cop on Lake Sinclair Georgia over the Fourth. I was an on duty paramedic. This guy posted our boat near a dock where the sign said SPEED LIMIT 5 MPH--NO WAKE TURBULENCE.

A boat full of college girls in bikinis drove by at 7mph. There was no wake turbulence. He nailed them on radar and pulled them over lights and sirens and wrote them a ticket. While doing that he inspected their boat.

He came back to our boat and he said "Did you see that stacked blonde in the little red bikini? Damn what a rack!"

I said "Why did you bust them anyway? There was no wake turbulence."

He replied "Look I am stationed at the Dublin post 90 miles from here. They drag me up to do this god*dam lake detail on the Fourth. I can't stand this detail, riding around all day in the hot sun. I figure if I write enough chicken s*hit tickets, especially to the daughters of some judges and mayors, DNR will pull me off this detail and let me stay in Dublin. So I might as well look at some titties while I am on this lake."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My sister owned a duck hunting cabin over in Minnesota inherited from her late husband. Sis didn't hunt, so I asked her if I could use the cabin with some hunting buddies for the opening of duck season? Holy smokes what a paradise for ducks! Shallow 300 acre lake with two reed islands and wild rice and farm land all around. Sis had the only place on the lake and there were boats and duck skiffs and dozens of decoys out in the shed. Six of us went over there and made friends with the subsistence farmer who owned part of the farm land. We sure liked duck hunting, but duck cleaning and duck eating, not so much. The farmer said that they loved duck, but never had the time to hunt them. Perfect, they would take all we brought them. Opening Saturday we were all scattered around the lake and the hunting was great. Ducks were flying and when we all joined up for breakfast we were over the limit. We put the ducks in the garage intending to bring them over to the farmer after breakfast. One of the guys was doing the breakfast dishes and looked out the window and said guys we are busted, here comes the game warden with a flashing blue light. Gulp, we were all ready to line up outside hands against the wall spread eagle. Just then the guy gets out of his car and it's the mailman! Scared straight from then on.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Father in law in the depression was out with his father cutting firewood. in Colorado. buck wandered by and they put it in the truck and stacked firewood around it and over it.
headed home and the warden stopped them for a gab. talked about a half hour about the tough times then slapped grandpaw on the shoulder and said "well Joe, you better get that wood home before it finishes bleeding out".

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dale06
In 1965 there was a special teal season in Ks. I was 14 and shot two ducks that I “thought were teal” Actually killed both with one shot.
Later in the morning I was driving on a country road and saw a parked truck ahead of me. A man flagged me down and asked if I had any luck. I showed him my ducks and he told me they were not teal. He took the ducks but did not issue a ticket. I never told my parents.
A week later my parents get a call that I had a court date. They were not happy.
Dad and I showed up at the judges office, who my dad knew real well, small town America. My two ducks were frozen and laying on the table between the warden, I and the judge. I was fined court costs ($25) and that was the end.
that dont sound like much of a fine ,till you find out it would be $235 dollors of our money today

NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Was that guy named Darcy Sneed?.....

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Opening morning of deer season a pack of dogs came through and I shot 3. The GW heard me shooting and drove his 4 wheeler in to check things out. He was looking at the dogs when I walked up and asked me if I had any luck. I told him no the deer spook from people riding 4 wheelers. Then here comes my Dad walking down out of his box stand without any orange on to see what's going on. The GW told him he had to have a orange vest on while deer hunting. My Dad said he wasn't deer hunting, he was dog hunting and trying to figure out who the he'll was on our property riding a 4 wheeler around on opening morning. The GW can sure screw up some good dove hunting. I spread a lot of sunflowers, wheat, peanut hearts, millet and cracked corn for my cows every summer. Really I try to feed the cows and birds year round. Our local DA taught me how to feed cows and the wildlife.

Life is good live it while you can.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I was on a "ride along" with a DNR cop on Lake Sinclair Georgia over the Fourth. I was an on duty paramedic. This guy posted our boat near a dock where the sign said SPEED LIMIT 5 MPH--NO WAKE TURBULENCE.

A boat full of college girls in bikinis drove by at 7mph. There was no wake turbulence. He nailed them on radar and pulled them over lights and sirens and wrote them a ticket. While doing that he inspected their boat.

He came back to our boat and he said "Did you see that stacked blonde in the little red bikini? Damn what a rack!"

I said "Why did you bust them anyway? There was no wake turbulence."

He replied "Look I am stationed at the Dublin post 90 miles from here. They drag me up to do this god*dam lake detail on the Fourth. I can't stand this detail, riding around all day in the hot sun.[b] I figure if I write enough chicken s*hit tickets, especially to the daughters of some judges and mayors, DNR will pull me off this detail and let me stay in Dublin. So I might as well look at some titties while I am on this lake."[/b]
Sounds like Richard Burnett, he was a good GW.

Life is good live it while you can.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by colodog
I was at an ice fishing tournament with a bunch of buddies on Wolford lake, Co. and the local warden came by to check licenses.

I've only been approached once by a game warden while I was fishing in CO, in 22 years here. I was fly fishing at one of the Honholz Lakes. I was on the other side of the lake from the parking lot. Saw him park he truck, get out and start walking around. Took him a few minutes because it was probably a half to three quarters of a mile to where I was. Friendly guy, asked if I was catching any, which I wasn't. Asked me what fly I was using, and then suggested I change flies to one he'd had luck with that week. Then he just walked back to his truck without asking to see my license.

Maybe he ran my license plate and saw that I had a license. But I did start catching fish after I changed flies.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by colodog

I've only been approached once by a game warden while I was fishing in CO, in 22 years here. I was fly fishing at one of the Honholz Lakes. I was on the other side of the lake from the parking lot. Saw him park he truck, get out and start walking around. Took him a few minutes because it was probably a half to three quarters of a mile to where I was. Friendly guy, asked if I was catching any, which I wasn't. Asked me what fly I was using, and then suggested I change flies to one he'd had luck with that week. Then he just walked back to his truck without asking to see my license.

Maybe he ran my license plate and saw that I had a license. But I did start catching fish after I changed flies.

I’ve never seen a Game Warden in Colorado or New Mexico in all the years I’ve spent fishing and hunting there. I’ve only seen one in Montana, and that was at the Deer Processor when dropped one off.
Rarely ever see one in TX, except on opening weekend of Dove Season, when they occasionally show up to check licenses and to see if shotguns are plugged for 3 rounds of ammo.

Only had a “run in” with one, ever. He didn’t want to charge his drinking buddy I caught poaching on our Ranch. Called his, Captain, who’d been buying guns from me for years. He was soon “relocated” to some Schitthole county in SE TX.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 09/24/22.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
There is 6 people in our club, and one of them is a game warden. 40yrs ago when I fished a lot, there was a game warden that lived next to my dads camp, both really nice guys. But we had one, his name was KIT CARSON, he would ticket a person for having a rope that was 1" short, then hall you in on the spot (in handcuffs). If you were fishing alone, your boat stayed on the lake till someone could go get it, and that happened to one of the guys on my least so I know it is true. He did check me during a fishing tournament, but not my boat and I was on solid ground, but he had his hand on his gun the whole time, using one hand to check my license. He took out his tape measure and was checking every boats numbers and if any was under the 2'' requirement, ticket time, same with rope, boat length and weight in relationship with motor(overed motored). It got bad enough that all the threats on his life, the office put him behind a desk. But I have not been stopped any that treated me bad (except the one above). But we won't talk about cops.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
back in the late 50's in Eastern Kentucky,in my father in laws county ,It only had and still does ,about 6,000-7,000 people in the whole county, so everybody knows everybody . My father in law was early 20's and fishing without a license on the river ,railroad tracks ran along it, and train just setting there .Game Warden seen him and walked towards him .FIL ran off ,and jumped between R.R cars to other side ,train started moving so GW could not cross FIL got away,or so he thought .A few days later GW say him in town ,and smiled ,said next time i see you fishing you better have a fishing lic.

Last edited by rem shooter; 09/24/22.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That wasn't our experience out in Colorado elk hunting. Our Wyoming buddy brought 12 horses for us to use, but the hay he brought along wasn't certified so two wardens came by and cited us for that. With 12 guys in camp we were on their radar right off and my buddy and I even ran into them on horseback to check us at 11,000 feet. One of our guys was a really old guy and he had brought along a big camper trailer and had a hot meal for us every night when we came in from hunting. He had bought a cow permit, but the guy was so feeble and arthritic that there was no way that he was getting very far from his camper. One of our guys got the old guy a cow elk and when the wardens stopped back to check the meat pole and who got what, the old guy was all legal and proud of "his" elk. They weren't buying it, but the old guy said that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Was that guy named Darcy Sneed?.....

If you are asking about that West central Ks warden, his last name was Kellenberger.

NRA Patron
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Know a guy, he's always legal.

Was fishing, pulled up and did a shore lunch of one of the fish.

Pulls the canoe out, warden accuses him of eating a fish that was too small. "Saw you eat it through the binocs"

David admits to eating a fish, denies it being too short. Warden cites him for "mutilation of a fish" because he obviously can't prove it was too short.

Known David my whole life. He and my dad been best friends since they were 6. That fish wasn't too short.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's no shortage of tiny, little people with big badges who are government employees and law enforcement.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Two of them here in Cooke co. Texas got busted by local ranchers for poaching , shooting off the road and out of season deer killin'. Other than that they were Top Hands.

NOVIT EMIM DOMINUS QUI SUNT EUIS {Arnauld Amalric} "Kill them all,God will know His." Never trust Horses ,Women and very few Mules.A good rifle will let in lots of AIR AND LIGHT.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Carson was a
Originally Posted by DouginLa
There is 6 people in our club, and one of them is a game warden. 40yrs ago when I fished a lot, there was a game warden that lived next to my dads camp, both really nice guys. But we had one, his name was KIT CARSON, he would ticket a person for having a rope that was 1" short, then hall you in on the spot (in handcuffs). If you were fishing alone, your boat stayed on the lake till someone could go get it, and that happened to one of the guys on my least so I know it is true. He did check me during a fishing tournament, but not my boat and I was on solid ground, but he had his hand on his gun the whole time, using one hand to check my license. He took out his tape measure and was checking every boats numbers and if any was under the 2'' requirement, ticket time, same with rope, boat length and weight in relationship with motor(overed motored). It got bad enough that all the threats on his life, the office put him behind a desk. But I have not been stopped any that treated me bad (except the one above). But we won't talk about cops.

Carson is/was an azzhole. He worked out of the Minden office for a while and then out of the Monroe office. I haven't seen him in several years. Don't know where he is now, or if he's still a GW.

I never had any dealings with him myself, but have several friends that did.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Carson was a

Carson is/was an azzhole. He worked out of the Minden office for a while and then out of the Monroe office. I haven't seen him in several years. Don't know where he is now, or if he's still a GW.

I figured I wasn't the only one from Louisiana that had dealings with him, he was an old man when I was in my 20's, he has to be dead by now.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
All my encounters have been great. I don't violate game laws and have zero reasons to be defensive about anything, so my interactions are great.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Carson was a

I figured I wasn't the only one from Louisiana that had dealings with him, he was an old man when I was in my 20's, he has to be dead by now.

My FIL was a GW out of the Minden office. He told me that even Mr. Menefee, Carson's boss, didn't like him. He got him transferred out just a quick as he could.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
All my encounters have been great. I don't violate game laws and have zero reasons to be defensive about anything, so my interactions are great.

I’m in the same boat. In 45+ years of fishing and hunting here and abroad I’ve never received so much as a warning from a game warden. Fishing and hunting was always too important to me that I didn’t want to do anything that would risk losing it.

With that said…..I have found most wardens to be angry little liars and the type of human detritus that if it were bleeding out in a ditch I would have to think long and hard as to how much if any aid I’d lend. 😉. That comes from one that always follows the law and never got in trouble yet they’ve soured me to the point that I have less than ZERO respect for the ones down here. I have had some good interactions with some guys in SE AK that were conducted like they all should be conducted.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I've never gotten a ticket or even a warning from a GW, but I've never had a pleasant interaction with them either. Fuqk a GW.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Best one on was was with the local GW who bugged us all the time.

Late deer season lotsa snow and I drag a huge Whitetail doe my wife shot with her 12 Ga.

Hit the dirt road and up drives azzhole. Leaps out, dashes over looks at the tag, gets a big grin and says: "Just where is Susan ?" From behind him come the voice: "Right here."

All four off started laughing, he jumped in car and sped off.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Been checked in Mn, Colo, SD, ND, Wy, Mt, Ks and Saskatchewan. All in the last 20 or so years. All were decent all business types, except the Sask one was a jerk. No citations or issues with any of them.

NRA Patron
V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
I have had approximately 1/2 dozen interactions with GW over 56 years and all were to just check licenses, and in each of those encounters they were courteous and professional.

One experience sticks in my mind. Many years ago my son and I were fly fishing on one of the major trout streams in Western Virginia. This stream has a hiking trail that runs along the bank of the river, or very close to it, for most all of its length. At that time Virginia permits were a yearly permit that were good from January 1st thru December 31st of that year no matter when you purchased the license. Each year the license was a different color. The GW checking licenses that day brought a pair of binoculars and he would ask you hold up your license while he looks at it thru the binoculars. If the color was right your fishing was not interrupted and everything was good. I thought this was very respectful of the GW to do this and avoid having you wade across the river, which might mean going up or down river several hundred yards to cross, just to show your license.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Karnes County. Texas Game Warden. 1983ish. I’m leaning out the door with a rolling length measurement device in my friends 69 428 CJ Fairlane. LaLieu (not spelling it right) pulls in behind us when we pulled into a cattle guard to turn around and start over.

“Boys Country Quarters will cost you two bills”

We never forgot that the middle of the afternoon since we were sure we pulled it in before he could have seen what we were doing.

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Another time we were 19 we were cruising the back county rds of SW Jim wells county spotlighting but with no guns, outlaw days lol. Allan and I hear the scanner, game warden, I got a report of a truck that sounds like Allan Harmans, I'm going to check it out. We saw him rolling up behind us, Allan laughs and says f-ck it, and takes off killing the lights, we were hauling ass doing about a 100 and knew we were coming up on a hard right you had to slow down to about 15 to make. We got around that turn and slowed way down watching behind us and the game warden was going way too fast and ran through the bobware fence into the milo field. Good times. We never got caught even on the King Ranch. Allan did get caught on George Straits Ranch yrs later and got 6 months locked up and lost his guns.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Several years back my buddy and I are driving back to camp out in the Fort Rock area. Getting kinda twilighty. I see a rig in the rear view mirror about a half mile back. You can tell he's going at a good clip.

Gets up behind us and I realize it's a state trooper (game cop).

Pull over. He pulls in behind us. Younger cop.

We get out and say our hellos. Asks us how we're doing. Can't remember how the hunting was that year. Notice he's kinda hesitant.

I ask if he wants to see out licenses and tags. He says sure. Checks them out and hands them back. All good.

He's still kinda hemmin and hawing.

Finally he got his nerve up.

Asks us, "Do you know how to get to the main road from here?"

Told him sure and explained how to get there. Got a good chuckle out of that.

That's the good story.

The bad one.

Another time came back to camp (before season) to find two State Fish and Game (not state troopers) guys looking in our tents. We confronted them and they said that they had been told we were snagging browns and lake trout (I think) following kokanee up the Davis arm of Wikkiup reservoir.

Told em we ain't your guys and if you don't have a warrant you have no business looking in our camp. They got indignant, but left. They kept on us though, checking our tags, etc. al season One time accusing my buddy of having blood on his boot.

Should have made a formal complaint.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Deer hunt

Back from the morning hunt at camp

GW shows up. Chats.

He says, “Who’s the hunter?”

I say, “We’re not hunting, we’re camping right now.”

He says, “Ok, have a nice day.”

If they want to check my hunting license, they better do it when I’m hunting

Drive with animal to G&F office to have it tagged.

Officer comes out and asks a series of questions about how the animal was taken, one of which was “did you use dogs?”

I tell him “No. I thought it was illegal to use dogs anyway?”

He says, “It is. It’s a trick question.”

😳

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Acquaintance is an outfitter. Takes an out of state hunter on a one-in-a-lifetime Oryx hunt. Gentleman kills a nice bull.

G&F is on them immediately after the shot and loading of the animal.

He asks to see where the shot was taken from. They show him. He gets out a tape measure to measure the distance from the road. Law states the shot must be taken 40ft from a road. Turns out the guy was literally 1 foot short.

G&F cites him and confiscates the animal on the spot. The hunter is devastated and the outfitter pissed and embarrassed for his client and his experience in our state

Spends a fortune on lawyers and court. Wins. Outfitter has someone buy the animal that G&F is going to sell. He has it mounted and sends it to the client. Class

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Friend kills a nice buck on his father’s property. G&F checks the animal and asks where it was taken. Friend says, “On my Dad’s property”

G&F asks if he had permission to hunt there. Dad is right there and answers “Yes”.

G&F asks if the permission is in writing and states the permission MUST be in WRITING.

He answered “No, it’s my Dad’s land and he gave me permission like he just said”

G&F confiscates the buck and they go through a bunch of BS to get it back.

Pricks

G&F officer later states that he can confiscate every mounted animal in a home if the tags are not saved and produced on demand.

PRICKS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Acquaintance is an outfitter. Takes an out of state hunter on a one-in-a-lifetime Oryx hunt. Gentleman kills a nice bull.

He asks to see where the shot was taken from. They show him. He gets out a tape measure to measure the distance from the road. Law states the shot must be taken 40ft from a road. Turns out the guy was literally 1 foot short.

G&F cites him and confiscates the animal on the spot. The hunter is devastated and the outfitter pissed and embarrassed for his client and his experience in our state

Spends a fortune on lawyers and court. Wins. Outfitter has someone buy the animal that G&F is going to sell. He has it mounted and sends it to the client. Class

No doubt that was NM... frown

Bet the warden's name was Jackson.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Mf'ers wonder why hunters despise them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A few years ago, I took my then 10-11 year old son to the TX Panhandle hunting. Weather was bad and snow had piled up just beyond the lease gate entrance. Since we cross a neighbors property, I didn’t want to drive out in his grass pasture and ended up stuck in a snow drift. The game warden just lived right around the corner so I called him and asked him to pull us out later. We walked the mile to the blind and my son shot a decent buck and we dragged it the mile back to the truck. About the time we got to the truck the warden showed up and got stuck in the drift too. He called his wife and she drove over and threw a shovel out. Couple hours later we finally got out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We had one in county that was hell on wheels.

Literally.

He road a bicycle in the woods.

He was fair, but by the book.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Last time I interacted with one, I was 17. Went down to the river access, no one around, so I did a donut with the old hot rod in the parking lot as I was leaving. Headed out of there, here comes flashing lights out of the dust cloud behind me. Gray haired agent known to be an azzhole comes marching up once I stopped, proceeds to berate me for reckless driving says he’s going to ruin my day. I told him nobody was in the lot, where was he hiding out? He was sitting at the bottom of the boat ramp, he said, waiting for some punk like me.

Told me I wouldn’t forget the ticket any time soon. I handed him the license, plumb pissed off by this time. Told him to go write that ticket. My tone caught his attention. He says, and then what? I said, and then I will be here, and kill everything that moves in this area. Be a full time job for you trying to catch me at it.

Stupid thing to say, good at that when I was pissed back then. He says that would be a bad idea. I admitted that was true, but said it wouldn’t stop me. He went back to his Jeep, was there a minute or two, came back and handed me my license, told me he’d mail me the ticket. I laughed. He stomped back to his Jeep and we left. Never got that ticket. He got his boat perforated while checking folks’ lines in the river a few months later, asked for a transfer, and was gone.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 007FJ
Karnes County. Texas Game Warden. 1983ish. I’m leaning out the door with a rolling length measurement device in my friends 69 428 CJ Fairlane. LaLieu (not spelling it right) pulls in behind us when we pulled into a cattle guard to turn around and start over.

We never forgot that the middle of the afternoon since we were sure we pulled it in before he could have seen what we were doing.

can't figure out what you were cited for?

measuring the length of the road?

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Another time when I was in my 20's (in the early 70's, I was in my Scout coming out of the woods and found a dead deer, no bullet hole or blood. Didn't touch it, went home and got to thinking about it, so I called the WM office. they had me call a game warden by the name of WEAVER. I did and I picked him up, it was dark by now and we had at least a 30min ride to get to the dead deer and the whole time he was trying his damdest to get me to admit that I killed the deer, he really, really, really wanted to make an arrest. He got all my info in case he needed me far a witness later, (but I do believe it was so he could arrest me later. But we picked up the deer and he took it to find the cause of death. They called me back a week later and it had anthrax which was spreading in that parish. I think I remember them closing the season over the spread of anthrax. Back to the game warden Weaver, if memory serves, they found him dead in the woods with a bullet hole in him. But that was 50yrs ago so I might have my facts wrong.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

No doubt that was NM... frown

Bet the warden's name was Jackson.

Wonder if it’s the same Jackson I know! He’s always been nice as can be to me.

Last edited by Godogs57; 09/25/22.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

I don't understand your post.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Sounds like he was marking a quarter mile drag racing spot.

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Story my dad always told him and my grandfather were cruising the backroads early in the morning looking for deer, My grandfather had a old double barrel loaded with buckshot. Young warden pulls themselves over walks to my grandfather's window reaches across the seat and pulls the shotgun out by the barrel and sticks his nose up to it to smell it to see if it's been shot. My grandfather starts chuckling and the warden asks him what's so funny, my grandfather said the guns loaded and I have control of the business end your lucky I'm in a good mood.

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another time when I was in my 20's (in the early 70's, I was in my Scout coming out of the woods and found a dead deer, no bullet hole or blood. Didn't touch it, went home and got to thinking about it, so I called the WM office. they had me call a game warden by the name of WEAVER. I did and I picked him up, it was dark by now and we had at least a 30min ride to get to the dead deer and the whole time he was trying his damdest to get me to admit that I killed the deer, he really, really, really wanted to make an arrest. He got all my info in case he needed me far a witness later, (but I do believe it was so he could arrest me later. But we picked up the deer and he took it to find the cause of death. They called me back a week later and it had anthrax which was spreading in that parish. I think I remember them closing the season over the spread of anthrax. Back to the game warden Weaver, if memory serves, they found him dead in the woods with a bullet hole in him. But that was 50yrs ago so I might have my facts wrong.

Can't imagine that concern over a dead deer.
Have found them in our posted property, with the minds and straps pulled,
for 30 years. Never called PGC. They won't do anything, except keep a little watch and try to pinch you.

Tresspass!😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Out of any big season, they will tell you they have State Police power.
Ie, more power than a cop, cop+possum cop power.
Call them for a trespasses during hunting season, "You gotta call the cops, we can't enforce trespass laws".
They don't want to enforce trespass laws, PGC is focused on fines and fees.
Enforcing trespass might cause some hunters to not hunt. (Buy tags)
2 decent Pa encounters.

1, we used to hunt on a volunteer deputies farm. He was great, never checked us unless he was with The Big Guy. Who was a bastard.
Often heard Tom was a prick, but he never shït in his own yard.
He left the neighbors alone. Nice? Smart? Wise!

2, Daughter played ball with a wardens daughter. Seemed like a good guy.
Spent a few hours chatting. He has been moved to this area, hope any future meetings don't change my mind.

Have encountered wardens in CO numerous times.
Mostly the same dude who I'm sure retired.
Gunnison, Crested Butte area. He was an ok guy.
Never any attitude.
Never any of that "Ive gotcha, gotta figure what to write on the ticket" BS.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Local convenience store/gas station one evening right at dusk several years back, group of 4 - 5 new young F&G field agents all in a tizzy wanting buy 6 volt lantern batteries planning on busting coon hunters gun hunting coons out season. Store didn't stock them and any other store in our little town that might have had 6 volt batteries was already closed for the day. They were even approaching customers asking if they had 6 volts they could buy with no luck. Pretty forlorn looking bunch as their youthful exuberance faded and the reality of their screw-up at overlooking simple but essential 6 volt batteries for their lanterns sunk in...

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Was hunting with a friend who came out of the woods while I was getting checked hy the local warden, it was after dark ,when my friend unloaded at the truck.the wander gave him a ticket for hunting after hours. About a week later the warden made the mistake of ticketing the local hiway patrol man on somthing similar, h p guy told me "I know what car his wife drives and 57 is over the speed limit "

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Every year I invite Nam Vets to my bear camp to hunt. My best friend is a wounded vet and my Godfather was one as well. They would invite guys thru their reunions. I had made the state aware of this, guiding laws non applicable since I charge nothing and cover all expense. Word didn’t get down the ranks I guess.
I had two Vets from down south hunting bears with me here ten years ago or so. One morning they decided to drive to a small backwoods cafe in the middle of nowhere for lunch. Owner of the cafe knew me, asked how it was going. Two guys in the joint overheard then stood up and came over to my Vets saying they were game wardens and started grilling them. Said they knew I was a guiding operation and wanted to know what they were paying. Said they were going to bust me. Grilled them hard for quite a bit and finally told them if they found out those two so much as bought me a beer they would throw them in jail.
Sadly they upset these guys so much they packed and left.
I only found out who one of those two wardens were. A local problem child so to speak. We have a healthy disdain for one another still.
I have worked on many things with the DNR in northern MN, plenty of good wardens and researchers but a few bad apples.
In the end, it would be a real **** show up here without them. They are needed.
Sad side note, running out of Nam Vets.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only time I ever got written up by a GW, was because I stopped to see if any help was needed. Drizzling rain, almost sleet, and I had hunted until dark. Miserable night to be out doing anything. Driving out, I met 5 or 6 GW pickups on this narrow dirt road. I pulled over and waved out the window for them to stop. Seeing that many at one time, I figured someone was hurt or lost, so I offered to help. Got the smart azz answer, "No, it's just your tax dollars at work". Shined a light in my truck, asked if my rifle in the back seat was empty, and I told him the truth, it wasn't. Wrote me up for hunting from the road.

I dont know what the statute of limitations is, in Ms., so I wont say any more.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
About 50 years ago, my dad and were invited over to an old couple we news place for lunch. It was pouring rain about 150 yrds from there home, see a hunter walking down the road, it was Bob he was in his mid 80s dad had a window van stopped told the old man to hop in the side door drove him up the drive and to his garage. Well the old GW was driving towards us coming around the curve, pulled in behind dad with the lights flashing! Gave dad a ticket for having a loaded gun in the van, and Bob a ticket too I can't remember what for. Both had clean records till than! GW said the laws the Law started my Dislike for the DNR then!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox

Sounds like he was marking a quarter mile drag racing spot.

Exactly right. He didn’t write us for anything just warned us not to be out there or we wouldn’t give us a break.

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I used to belong to a hunting club in Clayton, AL. One morning I was sitting in a ladder stand overlooking a greenfield when a huge black Game Warden walks through the greenfield and asks me”Where’s the corn”? I told him corn and baiting is illegal and our club doesn’t allow baiting. After checking my license he walks the entire perimeter of the greenfield, polluting it with his scent. That afternoon, a different Game Warden walks through a different greenfield to the blind I’m sitting in and also accuses me of baiting. He too walks all around the greenfield to find nothing. I tell the president of our club about the two incidents and he’s surprised by the harassment. The next day the same two Wardens harassed me at two more stands, all with zero probable cause and zero offenses to write me up over. After these four [bleep] in two days, I stopped hunting in Clayton AL.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by tater74
I had heard the same thing about Pogue.

Fun fact, my dad knew Tim Nettleton, the sheriff of Owyhee County. Tim asked him to fly Tim and Dallas' guns to the FBI in San Francisco.

I met him when he was involved in a skyjacking of sorts. Nice guy.Seem a prisoner got loose and held a female hostage. Nettleton talked him into trading the lady for himself and flew him all over hell and gone before finally landing in Winnemucca. I was working that night so got a bit involved in the affair. Interesting night and I got 8 hours of overtime out of the deal.
I really miss living up there in Northern Nevada. Probably the freest time of my life. Plenty of time off and got to wander the desert whenever I felt like it. Tucson wasn't much different when I transferred here but now there's too damn many people. According to my hunting partner, Winnemucca has gotten to be just as bad. A lot of places I used to wander and hunt are now full of houses.

PJ

Last edited by PJGunner; 09/25/22.

MOLON LABE
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Back in the day riding two up on a motorcycle with the guy on back holding a break action single shot .410 was a pretty effective way to cover a lot of back roads and kill quite a few ruffed grouse… or so I was told… whistle Gun laying crossways on the passengers lap broke open with a shell easily removable and slipped back into your pocket with out much notice. About 14 or 15 years old around that time.

One time my cousin wanted to take his dads auto 20 ga. I don’t remember what kind it was but we learned that the only way to get the extra shells from the magazine into the chamber was to shoot the damned thing. crazy We could work the action by hand and clear the chamber but the shells in the magazine wouldn’t advance.

So we are making the usual circle in the morning fog watching for grouse on the sides of the dirt mountain roads. We come around a bend and ther sets Charlie Mountain. a legendary local game warden at the time in his truck. He stops us, we get off the bike and he goes through his usual routine of hunting license gun check and stuff. It never seemed to matter that none of us guys with dirt bikes didn’t even have a driver license, I don’t think we were ever even asked before.

Any way, Charlie going over the gun and asks if we knew that the gun has shells in the magazine. We tell him yes, and that
we don’t know how to get them out! Charlie fiddles with it for a few minutes trying everything he knows to do and nothing works. Finally he just hands the gun back shaking his head and says he ain’t never seen nothing like that.

He turns his attention to my dirt bike. He used to ride a Harley back in the day and his daughter was killed on one.
He was asking all sorts of questions about it and we were doing anything we could to get away from the fact that we still had two shells in our gun.
He said it’s been so long since he’d been on a bike that he doubted he could even start one anymore, he was in his 60s at this point. Of course we were telling him oh sure you can… we’ll he gets on it and kicks starts it. He then says I’ve probably forgot how to ride one it’s been so long. Oh no, we told him. I bet you can! Well he pulls in the clutch and puts it in gear and eases off down the road with me and my cousin standing in the middle of the road with his truck door open and a shotgun with two rounds in the mag!
He goes out of site and in a minute or so here he comes putting back with a big grin on his face like it was Christmas or something. We talk a little bit more and he sends us on our way!

As far as the auto 20, we latter found out that the only way it would advance a shell short of firing one in the chamber was to put the end of the barrel against a tree or something and shove the barrel back into the receiver about an inch or so. crazy crazy

How times change.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My best is too long to type out here.

But suffice to say. It is a good one.

Did something wrong. Got caught. GW had actually been a student of mine in college. And the following fall, there he was in another class I was helping teach. I look up after the intro at the farm and see him there, trying to not be noticed.

Montana MOFO
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I was still in high school and was seeing a girl who lived on Lake Jackson in Tallahassee. We we’re having some fun in her room and as I was laying there looking out the window I noticed ducks coming into the cove she lived on. Next day I get with my friend Paul and we take his duck boat to the cove and set up. There’s a warden watching us from across the lake through binoculars. We’re doing nothing wrong and we’re expecting him to come check us. We set up and wait. Ducks all pile in there in the last few minutes of legal light. We’re there an hour and the warden just watched us. Finally the light gets right and we see the first ducks flying. Just then the warden starts up and comes to check us. He stands there over us sitting in the duck boat and takes every last minute of legal light checking us. Made sure to ruin our hunt. Nothing wrong and the check should have taken two minutes not a half hour. Found out later that there was a state bigwig who lived on the cove and didn’t like people duck hunting. G&F would harass anyone who tried to hunt there. I’m still super pissed about that day.
I made some friends who were G&F biologist later. They’re the ones who let me know what the deal was. They also “accidentally” left me a brand new G&F hat. I’d take that hat to dove shoots and after everyone had shot an extra full limit I’d duck down and put the hat on. Pop up and quickly the field would go quiet. Guys would be slinking off and leave their extras in the field. It was hilarious !

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I grew up hunting the same lease for 30 years.
Our camp was at the end of the road....WAY back in the sticks. If anybody came to our camp, they were:
A) invited guests
B) lost

We hear a vehicle drive up one day. When we stepped outside, four game wardens emerged from one vehicle.
"Sorry to disturb you, but we spotted this camp during a flyover. We had NO idea there was a camp back here and just wanted to figure out how to get to it."
With that, the four of them loaded up and left.
In 30 years, that is the only time an on duty LEO came to our camp.

Last edited by martinstrummer; 09/25/22.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I had just quit school and started herding sheep for a local rancher in the early spring. Things were going along okay, and the camp tender would deliver my necessities every two weeks. This was done with all the sheep camps, mainly to keep track of how the bands of sheep were doing. I mentioned to the camp tender that I had seen a game warden off in the distance a couple of times, but that was the only human I’d seen.
A few days later we got hit by a spring storm and it dropped about 30” of snow. I’d spent all day out with the sheep, getting the ones that laid down back on their feet, as the weight of the snow on them would keep them down. I made it back to the sheep wagon as it was getting dark, and saw a light on in my wagon. I opened the door to find the game warden cooking up some antelope I’d shot for campmeat, and after introducing himself to me, he stated his truck was stuck a few ridges away, and he’d seen my camp and headed to it.
He was a swell fellow, and for the next couple of days helped me out, showing me some tricks to herding sheep, and batching I hadn’t learned yet. In short, my camp was the happiest one in the region during this time. He cooked the meals and entertained me with stories of his life.
After the snow melted enough He could make it to town, he stated it was time for him to go, and after saying goodbye handed me a ticket for poaching an antelope out of season.
WHen the camptender showed up, I told him my tale and showed him the ticket, and man did he cuss out that warden. He took the ticket with him, and my boss paid it. I left a couple of months later to work as a cowboy on another outfit south west of there, and never heard how the warden and rancher got along.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
725 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 88 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.